Is Sirius dead? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 06-20-2011, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Someone stole my Sirius radio out of my car a while back. I put my subscription on hold at the time.

The other day I was in Best Buy looking for a replacement. They only had XM radios. So I called Sirius and asked if it would work for me or if I would have to change plans, and lose the money I had already paid for my Sirius subscription.

They said the Xm radios would not work. I would in fact have to change plans and lose the money I had already paid on my account prior to my radio being stolen.

The alternative was to buy a Sirius radio, which could be activated on my account and I would not lose that money i had already paid.

Of course, Best buy doesn't sell them, so I'd have to order it from them. They told me about a radio they are having a sale on that is compatible with the Sirius service, but I couldn't find it on their website. In fact, I couldn't find even 1 single Sirius radio on their website.

Is the Sirius service being fazed out? How come there are XM radios for sale everywhere but no Sirius radios?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 06-20-2011, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
No. It is not being fazed out. The company is now SiriusXM.

As far as radios are concerned, who knows. There seems to be only XM radio's left for purchase at the big box stores.

But try WalMart, Sears, and Radio Shack near you. No guarantees, but they may have a Sirius Starmate, or the like, lying around. Then if you need a home, ro vehicle kit, just go online and find the cheapest available.

If that is no good, then buy one online from EBay. From someone who is selling one. There are plenty available, and most people on there are reliable.

I nought my Sirius Stiletto 100 last year off of EBay, and, using PayPal, it went off without a hitch.

Or, you can try .www.craigslist.org And look for one that someone is selling near you. But watch the price. Most people try to sell it, and get most of their initial money back.

If you can find a used Starmate/Sportster/etc... with a home and car dock, I would not spend more than $40 for everything.

TS for people who think it is worth more than that. I only spent $65 on my Sirius Stiletto 100(by itself. No docks), and that has 100 hours recording to boot. Unlike the Sportster/Starmate/etc...

But that is me. Any right minded individual who knows how much something is actually worth(not what they think or feel) will be easy to deal with.
post #3 of 33 Old 06-20-2011, 04:00 PM

Liked: 10
That's really weird. What I suggest you do is call Sirius and ask if they can sell you a radio. I know when I removed 1 radio from my XM service because it was not working, they offered to ship me a replacement at a low price. Sirius might do the same to keep your business.
post #4 of 33 Old 06-20-2011, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah Sirius said they'd send me a new radio for $10. The problem was I didn't know anything about that radio and couldn't find it on the website.

Weird that nobody sells Sirius radios anymore.
post #5 of 33 Old 06-20-2011, 07:51 PM

I don't know what you're talking about....I just went to the Walmart site...then Best Buy, then Radio Shack and then.....the Sirius site itself.....ALL sell Sirius radios.

Also go to TSS Radio...they have a ton of radios too.

I have a feeling that you may not be internet savvy.
post #6 of 33 Old 06-20-2011, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonvall View Post

I don't know what you're talking about....I just went to the Walmart site...then Best Buy, then Radio Shack and then.....the Sirius site itself.....ALL sell Sirius radios.

Also go to TSS Radio...they have a ton of radios too.

I have a feeling that you may not be internet savvy.

I am way internet savvy (posting this from my rooted android phone running a custom ROM).

Where are all these Sirius radios you speak of? All I see are XM radios (which Sirius had told me on the phone 3 times now that if I get an XM radio I lose my current credit on my account since it is for a Sirius plan and the XM radios need an XM plan). They (Sirius phone reps) even offered to sell me one for $10, but even that model is not listed on their website.

If you really see a bunch of Sirius radios on the Sirius website, please post a link for me. I am thinking you're looking at XM radios though.
post #7 of 33 Old 06-21-2011, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 33
They (Sirius phone reps) even offered to sell me one for $10, but even that model is not listed on their website.

What is this model you speak of?

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #8 of 33 Old 06-21-2011, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Here is a Sirius car radio from Best Buy. They have some other options for the car.

I'd say that the portables don't sell very well since they now have an iOS and Android app. I sure wouldn't buy one.

post #9 of 33 Old 06-21-2011, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post

They (Sirius phone reps) even offered to sell me one for $10, but even that model is not listed on their website.

What is this model you speak of?

They offered me the Stratus 6 for $9.99 and the Starmate 5 for $59.99. neither shows up on the Sirius site unless you actually type the model number into a search, and then the Starmate 5 shows up as unavailable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Here is a Sirius car radio from Best Buy. They have some other options for the car.

I'd say that the portables don't sell very well since they now have an iOS and Android app. I sure wouldn't buy one.

Yeah I know you can find one or 2 on Best Buy's website (with at least 1 of them showing up as sold out online). My point is there are a bunch of XM radios, and Sirius radios are on the endangered species list.

As for the apps, yeah, I know about that. It's fine for driving around town, I guess. But me personally, I almost never listen to Sirius when driving around town. It's mostly when I go on a long road trip. I often go to places that don't have good data coverage for my cell phone, so streaming music (Pandora) won't work. That's when I like to have Sirius. Also if I am on a long road trip and there is a game on or something else that I want to hear live, then Sirius comes in handy. I guess the point is I don't really need that Sirius app on my phone. Anyplace that I could possibly use it I would just use Pandora or some other service anyway. I mostly use Sirius in places where cell phones are not an option.
post #10 of 33 Old 06-21-2011, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinWolf View Post

Someone stole my Sirius radio out of my car a while back. I put my subscription on hold at the time.

The other day I was in Best Buy looking for a replacement. They only had XM radios. So I called Sirius and asked if it would work for me or if I would have to change plans, and lose the money I had already paid for my Sirius subscription.

They said the Xm radios would not work. I would in fact have to change plans and lose the money I had already paid on my account prior to my radio being stolen.

Your account is on hold? How much time did you prepay for? Or is the hold costing you money?

I am just a little lost. How much do you have in the account?

I would just call and cancel then. I would put a huge stink, and tell them that you "want to cancel the sirius account" get the pro-rated money not used given back.

I would try that. Sounds like your getting it in the rear by them. Be tough. Not loud and screaming, but tough.

But at this point I would cancel. AND MAKE CLEAR YOU MEAN CANCEL. Not "put on hold". CANCEL.

And contact your CC company before hand, and make sure you explain it to them not except any hits on your CC from Sirius, XM, or SiriusXM. Tell them to deny all charges.

If they want to be assw*pes about it, then unfortunately for you, you have to become one first. I would cancel.
post #11 of 33 Old 06-21-2011, 05:23 PM

Liked: 87
Try here. This is for in-dash radios. Non-integrated Sirius units can also be found at this site.

http://www.tss-radio.com/t/sirius-in-dash/

Basically what happens is that when a radio is deactivated (in your case because of theft), the owner can ask for his/her account to be put on-hold. This basically freezes the amount of time left on the subscription. Once you reactivate, the time is transferred to the new radio minus an annoying "activation fee", which I think is around $15. If you have a one year or three year subscription, the amount of time/money left can be significant.

The Sirius and XM satellites are in different orbits (XM = geostationary, Sirius = modified Molniya) and use different encoding schemes, which is why the two services are still separate and two different types of radios are needed. However, there really is no excuse for the billing to still be separate after how many years. If they could get the billing (which is on the ground) to merge then you could transfer money between XM and Sirius and have a Sirius account use an XM radio.

However, for fun you can call up their Philippines-based customer support (who can't even see the XM satellites) and ask them technical questions. If they don't know the answer to the question you asked, they answer a different question. Ask for "Peggy".
post #12 of 33 Old 06-21-2011, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

Your account is on hold? How much time did you prepay for? Or is the hold costing you money?

I am just a little lost. How much do you have in the account?

I would just call and cancel then. I would put a huge stink, and tell them that you "want to cancel the sirius account" get the pro-rated money not used given back.

I would try that. Sounds like your getting it in the rear by them. Be tough. Not loud and screaming, but tough.

But at this point I would cancel. AND MAKE CLEAR YOU MEAN CANCEL. Not "put on hold". CANCEL.

And contact your CC company before hand, and make sure you explain it to them not except any hits on your CC from Sirius, XM, or SiriusXM. Tell them to deny all charges.

If they want to be assw*pes about it, then unfortunately for you, you have to become one first. I would cancel.

Yeah, my account is on hold. It doesn't cost me anything per month. What happened was, I paid for like 6 months of service, and then a week later some punk kid stole my Sirius radio out of my jeep. I called Sirius the next day and they put my account on hold while I looked for another radio. That was a while back, and I never got serious (no pun intended) about getting a new radio until last weekend. I still had my actual stereo, he just stole the Sirius radio, so it wasn't a big deal.

Anyway, I ended up just buying the $10 radio from Sirius this morning. So I guess we can end the thread.
post #13 of 33 Old 06-24-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The reason you see them getting away from the radios is they are focusing on being on pre-installed radios in new cars and the phone app. They can't sell those radios at all so they are basically giving up on them. They want you to use the app or get a new car that has sirius/xm installed in it.
post #14 of 33 Old 06-27-2011, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Try www.myradiostore.com

They seem to have older Sirius and XM units.

tss-radio.com is also a good source.

From what I can gather:
- Sirius radios are going the way of the do-do
- XM radios seems to be what they are concentrating on and the ones that you can still easily buy.
- They seem to be going for OEM radios for cars - it does make sense rather than having a bunch of wires across your dash
- I think they've given up on the home market excepting for the XM-Ready receivers. The problem is that you need to get the unblocked signal from the outside to the inside of your home. You can do this with repeaters (and XM Repeaters are still available - Sirius Echo system is not) but, outside of that you'r screwed for home reception.

That being said, in the aftermarket car audio world it, oddly, seems more focused on Sirius receivers.

No it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Yes, it is stupid that for the two services from the same company which are effectively the same that they can't just pop you over to the other side and work out the difference. It's so incredibly stupid.
post #15 of 33 Old 07-18-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Bishop View Post

From what I can gather:
- Sirius radios are going the way of the do-do
- XM radios seems to be what they are concentrating on and the ones that you can still easily buy.

Agreed, SiriusXM is really about 80% "XM" and 20% "Sirius" these days; I fully expect that Sirius hardware will be completely discontinued within the next few years.

Quote:

- They seem to be going for OEM radios for cars - it does make sense rather than having a bunch of wires across your dash

Well, uh... some of us have no problem neatly installing Sirius/XM radios and keeping all the wires nicely hidden? :-)

I take your point and expect you're correct, although I will mention that the aftermarket ("plug and play") receivers typically provide a lot more functionality than the integrated-into-OEM radios ever have; for that reason alone some people still prefer non-integrated receivers.

Quote:

- I think they've given up on the home market excepting for the XM-Ready receivers. The problem is that you need to get the unblocked signal from the outside to the inside of your home. You can do this with repeaters (and XM Repeaters are still available - Sirius Echo system is not) but, outside of that you'r screwed for home reception.

Yes, I think they're really hoping you'll just cough up the extra $3/mo for Internet access to the Sirius/XM stream.

It's really not hard to stick an antenna outside and runs the cabling cleanly into the house, but I suppose here again most people just aren't up for it (or perhaps can't in, e.g., rental situations).

---Joel
post #16 of 33 Old 07-19-2011, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKoltner View Post

Agreed, SiriusXM is really about 80% "XM" and 20% "Sirius" these days; I fully expect that Sirius hardware will be completely discontinued within the next few years.

Well, uh... some of us have no problem neatly installing Sirius/XM radios and keeping all the wires nicely hidden? :-)

I take your point and expect you're correct, although I will mention that the aftermarket ("plug and play") receivers typically provide a lot more functionality than the integrated-into-OEM radios ever have; for that reason alone some people still prefer non-integrated receivers.

Yes, I think they're really hoping you'll just cough up the extra $3/mo for Internet access to the Sirius/XM stream.
It's really not hard to stick an antenna outside and runs the cabling cleanly into the house, but I suppose here again most people just aren't up for it (or perhaps can't in, e.g., rental situations).

---Joel

That would be great if they offered the NFL and College Sports play-by-play which is 90% of the reason I subscribe to Sirius.
I can get almost everything else via internet radio.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #17 of 33 Old 07-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post

That would be great if they offered the NFL and College Sports play-by-play which is 90% of the reason I subscribe to Sirius.
I can get almost everything else via internet radio.

And then there's the ridiculous situation with MLB play-by-play only being available on XM, even though IT'S ONE SINGLE COMPANY NOW!
post #18 of 33 Old 07-19-2011, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

If they added the sports channels to the online they would get more people to sign up. Part of the reason I walked away is the nascar channel wasn't available to stream, only on the radios.
post #19 of 33 Old 07-19-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post
If they added the sports channels to the online they would get more people to sign up. Part of the reason I walked away is the nascar channel wasn't available to stream, only on the radios.
Didn't they resolve this (sort of)? I was under the impression that NASCAR was now available online, except for live races.

As for the reported lack of Sirius radios, I wouldn't be surprised if they're working towards completing the merger. The one problem I can see with this is, what do you do with all of the people with Sirius car radios? You just can't flip a switch and have them suddenly work with XM's satellites.
post #20 of 33 Old 07-20-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post

The one problem I can see with this is, what do you do with all of the people with Sirius car radios? You just can't flip a switch and have them suddenly work with XM's satellites.

True, although since they've already paid to put the satellites in orbit anyway, I expect there's minimal cost to just keeping the "old" system going, even as we heard towards "Satellite Radio 2.0" and -- I expect -- a new crop of receivers coming out that they'll be trying to get folks to purchase.

There were a significant number of 3rd-party car stereos released back at CES in January that actually dropped dropped for satellite radio; I believe the thinking is that Satellite Radio 2.0 is going to mandate that the headunits themselves plug directly into the satellite radio receiver rather than going through the "protocol translator" boxes that the various 3rd-party manufacturers use now. I'd wager a fair sum that at CES 2012 we'll start seeing those new interfaces becoming available, following the release of at least a few 2.0 "Plug and Play" radios this fall.

I expect that the current receivers will work for at least, say, the next 5 years, even if they of course won't have many of the new 2.0 features (whatever those are -- the few news releases so far haven't mentioned anything that horribly compelling) or some of the channels.

---Joel
post #21 of 33 Old 07-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
JK, I understand the costs to keep satellites/groundlinks operational are enormous... (So make that 2x enormous for SiriusXM's two systems.)
post #22 of 33 Old 07-21-2011, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post

Didn't they resolve this (sort of)? I was under the impression that NASCAR was now available online, except for live races.

As for the reported lack of Sirius radios, I wouldn't be surprised if they're working towards completing the merger. The one problem I can see with this is, what do you do with all of the people with Sirius car radios? You just can't flip a switch and have them suddenly work with XM's satellites.

According to their website, online sports stations are ESPN, mad Dog, NFL, MLB, NHL, PGA, college sports. No nascar.
post #23 of 33 Old 07-22-2011, 04:40 PM

I agree with the posts here, Sirius products are disappearing fast, although they seem to have resurfaced recently. I was using my wife's radio for awhile and re-bought my Sportster 5 after it broke. I had to really search until I found one. Finally I found one on buy.com. At the time, Best Buy ONLY had XM radios, except for one P.O.S. Starmate model(Can't remember what model it was), the rep said they couldn't remember the last time they had Sirius products in stock, and had no idea when to expect more.

I called and emailed Sirius support to ask this, because before I bought a new radio, I wanted to make sure I wasn't buying a radio that I wouldn't be able to buy an extra(or replacement) dock for in the near future. None of them could tell me anything, they just posted a link to the Sirius shopping site, and once again, one outdated radio. Even now, there is very little selection, although the Sirius products are starting to be easy to find again. I want to know if anybody's heard anything about this either. I don't want to continue to buy Sirius accessories if I'm going to have to switch to XM at some point down the road.

And I am NOT going to accept some kind of "streaming" option. I like my radio, and I don't like buffering issues, and outages due to the internet being down, I get enough outage issues from the Sirius terrestrial repeaters as it is. I absolutely love my Sirius service, and will never go back willingly to terrestrial radio, but they have the most useless tech support I have ever come across. Does anyone else agree?
post #24 of 33 Old 07-23-2011, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
After my experience I'm shocked they are still in business. Bought a new Integra home theater receiver and the Internet Radio flyer says I get a free trail sub to Sirius Internet Radio which we received for a full year. At the time they offered us a car kit for a huge discount. After we received the car kit we decided it was to much work to install correctly and returned it. They not only canceled the car sub but also the Internet Radio sub as well. This was in March of this year. We called customer service and they took our complaint and said they would send it to corporate for review. Now remember, this was in March! I was told today that they just sent it to corporate July 14th! Amazing to say the least. For $36. for the year, Pandora is so much more inviting.

Jeff
post #25 of 33 Old 12-25-2011, 06:36 PM

This company can't die fast enough as far as I am concerned. They have the worst customer service, lousiest billing procedures, and most customer unfriendly policies of any outfit I have even dealt with. I have three vehicles, 2 Sirius, 1 XM and when renewal time has come, in each case I have tried to cancel and had them in every case renew the service anyway, In one of the cases, at the end of the free trial which I chose not to purchase, they called my office phone at least weekly until I threatened legal action. Then after they stopped calling, a agreed to renew for one year. I have heard the "response" on here that the TOS calls for Auto Renew, but this is not explained on the phone. After a year, they did indeed auto renew and tried to bill an expired card which I did not update to them as I did not wish to renew. They then began to call me almost daily. I finally got them to revers that bill and now they slipped another $200+ on my other card for an auto renew on my "lifetime" sub on my truck which I would never renew as I intend to sell it next week.

Add to that the awful audio quality on the music channels, and the constant barrage of the same three or four commercials for Porn and Male Enhancement and I fail to understand why anyone cares about their product.

Search online for complaints against and see these same stories again and again. These scam artists can't die soon enough for me!
post #26 of 33 Old 12-26-2011, 03:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Sirius service remains awesome for me, even with the oddities of switching from a sirius vehicle to an XM vehicle. They've never tried to scam me or call me. I usually get the yearly half-price deal for each renewal.
The home table radios are fantastic too - great way to use the internet-listening aspect of my account.

Not sure why you are hearing ads on the music channels, Bayou, unless you intentionally selected the terrestrial channels that require ads (clearchannel?)
You could select the Sirius music channels which have always had Zero Ads.
For multi-vehicles, I have found that it works nicely to have a subscription in one vehicle and use smartphone to listen in the other car. Possibly that approach will be useful to you if any of your subscriptions remain!
post #27 of 33 Old 12-27-2011, 11:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 51
It's rumored / somewhat confirmed in some financial info released by Sirius XM that they are trying to phase out the Sirius platform and move everyone to the XM platform in the next few years. That may explain the lack of Sirius radios, while everything new (Edge, Lynx) is XM compatible only.
post #28 of 33 Old 01-05-2012, 08:26 PM

I was traveling Atlanta to HOuston recently in my Infiniti G35. Half way, the radio subscription gets deactivated. I have a LIFETIME subscription to sirius(back in 2007) when they offered those for 399. So while the customer service had to go through a couple of refresh signals half hour apart, I had one of them recheck the status of my account. I told them what would happen if I switch cars. They gave me the 75 buck per transfer upto 3 transfer spiel. I told them what if I can't find a comparable car with Sirius installed as a lot of the new inifinitis and similar cars were coming with XM and not Sirius preinstalled.
She told me that I could order one of their portable radios. I told her that was not acceptable as I dont plan on driving a good car with a freaking portable radio in it. I asked her if there was a way I could have it transfered to an XM radio in case Sirius radios are phased out of many car manufacturers except for Fords or a few others. She said I would be out of luck and the portable radio is the only way to go.
post #29 of 33 Old 01-06-2012, 07:15 AM

Thank God Sirius isn't going down... I'm addicted! Can't even listen to terrestrial radio these days. Not sure what I'd do if Sirius died and I had to find other options. Ugh!

I do know that Sirius was coming out with some new radios. So you may have run into the case where the stores where clearing inventory and the new radios are not yet in?

For my other work, check out Roku2.
post #30 of 33 Old 01-06-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John James View Post

Thank God Sirius isn't going down... I'm addicted! Can't even listen to terrestrial radio these days. Not sure what I'd do if Sirius died and I had to find other options. Ugh!

I do know that Sirius was coming out with some new radios. So you may have run into the case where the stores where clearing inventory and the new radios are not yet in?

There are plenty of XM radios. I'm still not seeing very many Sirius though.
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page