XM Channels on Sirius OEM Unit - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-10-2011, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Folks,

I've been an XM sub going back to 2004, but today I signed on the dotted line for a vehicle that comes with Sirius built in (Land Rover LR2). Doesn't really matter to me that I'll be a Sirius sub rather than XM since the channels are essentially the same anyway, but does anyone know if the "Premier" channels that give you XM content (Opie and Anthony, baseball, etc.) will work on a Sirius OEM vehicle radio?

I heard somewhere that they had some issues with this. As a big O&A fan, I'm hoping I'll still be able to listen.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-12-2011, 06:07 PM

Depending on the year of the vehicle(i know nothing about land rovers) it should be fine. The premier or "best of xm" will work on most modern radios of the last couple of years,beyond that and you may be out of luck.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-12-2011, 09:50 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddvd View Post

Depending on the year of the vehicle(i know nothing about land rovers) it should be fine. The premier or "best of xm" will work on most modern radios of the last couple of years,beyond that and you may be out of luck.

No baseball play-by-play though. That is only on XM not on the best of XM due to contractual issues.
post #4 of 15 Old 12-21-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

No baseball play-by-play though. That is only on XM not on the best of XM due to contractual issues.

Which is why they should have a plug in or something allowing a Sirius radio to become an XM radio. It is ludicrous to think that after this period of time since the merger they can't make Sirius work on XM equipment or vice versa. Just one of the many reasons we canceled our 2 subscriptions and other than the baseball I don't really miss it.

Dave
post #5 of 15 Old 12-22-2011, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Exactly. I have 4 Sirius subs and one xm. Sirius does not have Fox Sports Radio. xm has pseudo Yahoo Sports Radio and no home and away college and NFL.
The bastards have you by the nads.
I want one sub that gets it all.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #6 of 15 Old 12-22-2011, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 46
They have the mirge, but I think it costs $20 a month. It gets both services, but I don't remember if that's at the "Select" or "Premier" service tier.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-23-2011, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I think the Mirge is or soon will be outdated already.
There is a new radio coming out on a new platform.
I'm going to wait and see what it is all about.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #8 of 15 Old 12-23-2011, 09:34 PM

The Lynx is going to come out soon, but it's going to have only the XM channels, plus the "Xtra channels"
post #9 of 15 Old 12-29-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post

They have the mirge, but I think it costs $20 a month. It gets both services, but I don't remember if that's at the "Select" or "Premier" service tier.

$240 a year for radio that you can only listen to on one piece of hardware?!!! I don't thinks so!!

Dave
post #10 of 15 Old 12-29-2011, 11:06 AM

Yeah, plus I agree with I WANT MORE in that it's outdated. All the new receivers, such as the Edge, Lynx, Vehicle Connect, are XM compatible only. It's rumored they want to move everyone to the XM platform, perhaps when the Sirius satellites are EOL.
post #11 of 15 Old 12-30-2011, 08:58 AM

They'll either have to come up with some sort of a plug in module or something for Sirius equipment or they will have a big problem on their hands. I wonder what there current subscriber numbers look like as it seems a lot of people, myself included, have canceled recently.

Dave
post #12 of 15 Old 12-30-2011, 12:28 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post

Yeah, plus I agree with I WANT MORE in that it's outdated. All the new receivers, such as the Edge, Lynx, Vehicle Connect, are XM compatible only. It's rumored they want to move everyone to the XM platform, perhaps when the Sirius satellites are EOL.

Except in January another Sirius satellite is being launched. The only difference with the latest Sirius satellites is that they go to geostationary orbit instead of tundra (highly inclinded) orbit.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-30-2011, 08:48 PM

Really? I haven't heard about that. Do you have a link? If they are adding another geostationary satellite, then maybe they are positioning it similar to the current XM sats, with one each hovering somewhat around the west and east coasts (complementing the existing geostationary Sirius satellite). Then the 3 old tundra orbiting satellites can be retired, but still maintain Sirius service.

Edit: A quick Google search does say Sirius FM-6 is to be launched sometime January to February at 115º W. Their other geostationary satellite is at 96º W, so they're going to be closer together than the XM sats which are at 85º and 115º W.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-02-2012, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I traded sirius car to XM car recently, also got smartfone with XM app. I have whatever plan is necessary to listen to howie on the XM and I think it includes those lovable doofuses O&A too.
the new smartfone APP is quite attractive with new features!
Also I am giddy about the options for wifi-internet-radios such as the TTR1 which I have set up for my pops. I am thinking of a Logitech squeezebox or the grace radio options. Or just a phone->RCA wire to connect iphone to monster amp & speakers. See next question re timeouts btw.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-02-2012, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
with TTR1 there seem to possibly be two possibly-big possibly-proprietary possible-advantages where i have observed consistent to the below:
1. with TTR1, timeout occurs somewhere between really-long-time and never, instead of the 45 minutes as internet/PC/other-vendors players. Do the other-vendors standalone/rackmount/portable wifi-internet-players spoof the requird-clicking-every-45-minutes similar to homer simpson when he was telecommuting and controlling Mr Burn's nuclear power plant? Do they do it as well as TTR1? is TTR1 using an encoding to xmit back to sirius is a propietary/sirius player ? who has wiresharked it to see!?
2. there seems to be minutes less latency between ttr1 stream and satellite stream compared to smartphone/PC playback via internet.

I have no experience with non-sirius player similar to TTR1 - does anyone have observations how do they perform with regard to timeout & latency compared to the satellite stream and/or TTR1? thanks...
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page