Sirius Lifetimers Beware - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #61 of 302 Old 12-27-2012, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll look to see if I have the lifetime terms printed and post it here if I do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 302 Old 12-27-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchfan View Post

I think I got in about a year before the merger. That was an interesting window of opportunity for you regarding a SiriusXM Everything lifetime subscription vs a Sirius Everything package. So they had the nerve to call it a Sirius Everything package after the new company was called SiriusXM and even though neither the Internet access nor the best of XM were part of "Everything"? Strange.
I thought that mine was called "Sirius Everything" when I bought it, and I specifically do remember that BoXM was an add-on that I could have requested.

I just logged onto my Sirius account (for the first time in years), and my plan is now being called "Sirius Select Lifetime Plan". I don't remember if this is what it was called back then or not, or if that name has changed. There is a note at the bottom of my account info that says that "in May, 2011, the names of many Sirius and XM packages were changed. When viewing your current and past online statements, you will see the updated package names displayed."

Here is the T&C for my account:
Quote:
Lifetime Subscription Plan: A "Lifetime Subscription" is one that continues for the
life of the Receiver equipment. Lifetime Subscriptions are nonrefundable. The
transferability of a Lifetime Subscription will depend upon whether it is associated with a
home, portable, or dock & play Receiver, or whether it is associated with a Receiver
installed by an automaker or an automotive dealer. “Non Automotive Receivers”: A
Lifetime Subscription associated with a home, portable, or dock & play Receiver is
transferable from one such Receiver to another up to a maximum of three (3) times. For
each permitted transfer of a subscription from one Non Automotive Receiver to another, you
will be charged a transfer fee set forth in this Agreement. “Automotive Receivers”: A
Lifetime Subscription is not transferable if it is first associated with, or subsequently
transferred to, a Receiver installed in a vehicle by an automaker or an automotive dealer,
except in the event the original Receiver associated with that Lifetime Subscription is stolen,
accidentally damaged or if, in our sole discretion, it is defective. For each permitted
transfer from one Automotive Receiver to another, you will be charged a transfer fee set
forth in this Agreement. No transfer fee will be charged for the transfer of a Lifetime
Subscription associated with an Automotive Receiver if, in our sole discretion, the Receiver
is defective. Lifetime Subscriptions are not transferable from one person to another.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #63 of 302 Old 12-27-2012, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I thought that mine was called "Sirius Everything" when I bought it, and I specifically do remember that BoXM was an add-on that I could have requested.

I just logged onto my Sirius account (for the first time in years), and my plan is now being called "Sirius Select Lifetime Plan". I don't remember if this is what it was called back then or not, or if that name has changed. There is a note at the bottom of my account info that says that "in May, 2011, the names of many Sirius and XM packages were changed. When viewing your current and past online statements, you will see the updated package names displayed."

Here is the T&C for my account:

... For each permitted transfer of a subscription from one Non Automotive Receiver to another, you will be charged a transfer fee set forth in this Agreement....
I wonder, was there a specific dollar amount "transfer fee set forth" in your Agreement? This might have been one of those times when Sirius (or SiriusXM) was leaving it up to the online/telephone sales agent to make up the lifetime sub terms as they went along on whether a fee would ever be charged in actual practice and, if so, how much. Presumably, when they were not approaching their sales quota for the month, that fee might have disappeared entirely...verbally, that is.

post #64 of 302 Old 12-27-2012, 11:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I wonder, was there a specific dollar amount "transfer fee set forth" in your Agreement? This might have been one of those times when Sirius (or SiriusXM) was leaving it up to the online/telephone sales agent to make up the lifetime sub terms as they went along on whether a fee would ever be charged in actual practice and, if so, how much. Presumably, when they were not approaching their sales quota for the month, that fee might have disappeared entirely...verbally, that is.

Yes. Elsewhere in the agreement, $75 was specified.
Quote:
Transfer Fee: If you transfer a Subscription from one Receiver to another or from
one person to another, you may be charged a transfer fee of $15.00 for all but
Lifetime Subscriptions. For permitted transfers of a Lifetime Subscription from one
Receiver to another or from one person to another the transfer fee is currently
$75.00. SATELLITE RADIO SERVICE SUBSCRIPTIONS ARE TRANSFERABLE ONLY TO
THE EXTENT PROVIDED FOR HEREIN.

Further down in the customer agreement, there is a clause about waiving certain fees:
Quote:
We reserve the right to waive any of these fees, in whole or in part, at our discretion. Our
failure to enforce any of these fees or any other provisions of this Agreement shall not be
construed as a waiver of the right to assert any such terms on any future occasion.

post #65 of 302 Old 12-28-2012, 12:52 AM

Liked: 12
In regards to waiving fees & such, we most definitely have the power to waive anything. The key to getting it waived, is being nice & be understanding that sometimes, we're just not allowed to. I have waived numerous swap fees due to me being the sympathetic person that I am, for customers for various reasons. The main reason a swap fee is waived, more than likely as a ONE TIME COURTESY, would be to them being a customer for over five years. I've argued with supervisors to have the fee waived sometimes, you just have to get the right agent to feel your pain. Some agents are stubborn, & some are polite & extremely helpful, like myself, & will do anything to correct an issue or make something right.

In regards to swapping/transfers, a lifetime plan on an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer), can be swapped to another OEM after the September 2007 terms changed. Again it's only a ONE TIME COURTESY & the swap fee will be charged. If the customers reasoning is good, or it's just a few months outside of the grace period, I try & help the customer out. If you're rude, screaming & cursing, it's probably not going to be done. I usually give the customer the option to swap it out for another OEM to stay there FOREVER, or swap it to a portable radio with another two transfers.

I don't think you guys understand, if you are polite & courteous, what you want done, can be accomplished in some form or another. Nothing is guaranteed, but you have a better chance of doing so if you're not rude to the representative that you're speaking with. More than likely you will want to get to the cancellation department, because they are the people who have the ability to do what I'm talking about. Again, nothing is guaranteed, it would just depend on who you're speaking with. If you get me, & you're nice, I would consider yourself lucky. You have to be persistent when asking for things, in a nice way of course. As soon as your demeanor changes to that screaming, cursing, rude customer, the chances of you getting anything accomplished are slim to none.

If you have specific questions, just call in and ask. Of course, you will again want to speak with the cancellation department, mostly because they know what they're talking about, & to check the availability about something being waived. If you have been a customer since the beginning, use it to your advantage! The longer you have been a subscriber, the better!
post #66 of 302 Old 12-28-2012, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeepistonee View Post

In regards to waiving fees & such, we most definitely have the power to waive anything. The key to getting it waived, is being nice & be understanding that sometimes, we're just not allowed to. I have waived numerous swap fees due to me being the sympathetic person that I am, for customers for various reasons. The main reason a swap fee is waived, more than likely as a ONE TIME COURTESY, would be to them being a customer for over five years. I've argued with supervisors to have the fee waived sometimes, you just have to get the right agent to feel your pain. Some agents are stubborn, & some are polite & extremely helpful, like myself, & will do anything to correct an issue or make something right.
In regards to swapping/transfers, a lifetime plan on an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer), can be swapped to another OEM after the September 2007 terms changed. Again it's only a ONE TIME COURTESY & the swap fee will be charged. If the customers reasoning is good, or it's just a few months outside of the grace period, I try & help the customer out. If you're rude, screaming & cursing, it's probably not going to be done. I usually give the customer the option to swap it out for another OEM to stay there FOREVER, or swap it to a portable radio with another two transfers.
I don't think you guys understand, if you are polite & courteous, what you want done, can be accomplished in some form or another. Nothing is guaranteed, but you have a better chance of doing so if you're not rude to the representative that you're speaking with. More than likely you will want to get to the cancellation department, because they are the people who have the ability to do what I'm talking about. Again, nothing is guaranteed, it would just depend on who you're speaking with. If you get me, & you're nice, I would consider yourself lucky. You have to be persistent when asking for things, in a nice way of course. As soon as your demeanor changes to that screaming, cursing, rude customer, the chances of you getting anything accomplished are slim to none.
If you have specific questions, just call in and ask. Of course, you will again want to speak with the cancellation department, mostly because they know what they're talking about, & to check the availability about something being waived. If you have been a customer since the beginning, use it to your advantage! The longer you have been a subscriber, the better!

I agree with you that the best approach with any customer service representative is to make sure they understand you're only asking for their help, not looking for a place to dump your rage, if any.

So, for the early Sirius Everything Lifetime Subscribers, how nice would we have to be to get that additional $2.99 per month for access to our Sirius on smartphones waived for a lifetime as we'd been led to believe we were buying originally along with "Everything"? smile.gif
post #67 of 302 Old 12-28-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

So, for the early Sirius Everything Lifetime Subscribers, how nice would we have to be to get that additional $2.99 per month for access to our Sirius on smartphones waived for a lifetime as we'd been led to believe we were buying originally along with "Everything"? smile.gif
When I logged into my account yesterday, the price I saw for adding internet was actually $3.50.

post #68 of 302 Old 12-28-2012, 10:04 AM

$2.99 is for smart phones. Even with free internet Sirius blocks your phone browser for internet listening. So for smartphones the price is $2.99, it doesn't fall under your plan or free internet.
post #69 of 302 Old 12-28-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

There is no option anywhere on the website for me to get $2.99 internet. When I log in to my account dashboard:
Quote:
Listen to SiriusXM Internet Radio on your Smartphone and computer for only $3.50 a month.
Get it now.

post #70 of 302 Old 12-28-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

There is no option anywhere on the website for me to get $2.99 internet. When I log in to my account dashboard:
Quote:
Listen to SiriusXM Internet Radio on your Smartphone and computer for only $3.50 a month.
Get it now.
So now they're bundling computer Internet access with smartphone access for $3.50 a month? I assume that means even if you're not tapping into a wi-fi hotspot, you can still listen to Sirius through your phone's data plan. Although I should have learned my lesson by now that nothing of the sort should be assumed when it comes to Sirius, XM, SiriusXM or whatever new company name the powers that be choose to use in order to change the old rules and invent new ones. For all I know, that $3.50 per month only gives you smartphone access while you're in a wi-fi hotspot and if you want to listen to what you've paid for through your phone's data plan that's an additional $2.99, too.

Then, when they someday change the name of the company to XSiriusM, those rules will likely no longer apply, it'll be an additional $12.95 per month for current Lifetime Subscribers to access their lifetime sub of Sirius Everything through their current Sirius radios while Internet and smartphone access will only be available for the low, low additional monthly cost of $6.50...
post #71 of 302 Old 12-28-2012, 06:26 PM

@tighr you are right it is $3.50mo, I was paying $2.99mo I didn't realize the cost went up on me! Not sure if it is really worth it, I rarely use the app.
post #72 of 302 Old 12-28-2012, 07:04 PM

Internet radio by itself is $14.49/mo + Applicable taxes & fees. When attached to a subscription, it is only $3.50/mo, or $38.50 for one year.
post #73 of 302 Old 12-29-2012, 11:57 AM

Joe is Sirius going to offer any decent portable (car) receivers in the future?
post #74 of 302 Old 12-30-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynv View Post

Joe is Sirius going to offer any decent portable (car) receivers in the future?

That type of information we don't usually get. When a new radio comes out, we find out just as soon as you do. The only decent one is the Starmate8, which is essentially the XM Onyx with a different programming chip inside. With all the new SiriusXM Radios coming out, they're all defined under the XM category, as they have XM I.D.'s. & aren't able (at the moment) to be swapped out with Sirius radios. A new XM account would have to be created for you to start up service. I'm pretty sure they're phasing out the Sirius side, slowly but surely. They haven't had a new Sirius radio in quite some time, & don't believe they're planning on coming out with any.

If I get any info, I will let you know.
post #75 of 302 Old 12-31-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:

Internet radio by itself is $14.49/mo + Applicable taxes & fees. When attached to a subscription, it is only $3.50/mo, or $38.50 for one year.

It's $3.50/ month for one sub. I'm a lifer since 2006 and after complaining that when the internet app was free it never worked, the lady on the phone comped me for a year. Since I have Sprint and free data on my smartphone, my wife and I share the internet sub and bluetooth it into the OEM stereo in our car. You cant have 2 phones running the same login so I wanted to add a 2nd so it was uninterrupted for both of us. When I Called to add the 2nd internet subs, I was told it was $14/mo. I flipped out on the guy, first of all it says $3.50 on my account page but furthermore we used to get up to 5 internet accounts for free. He laughed and said that hasn't happened in years. The funny thing is when I called, I was going to compliment Sirius for finally fixing the app and making it usable, which is why I wanted the 2nd and possibly a 3rd sub (for my daughter) but by the end of the conversation I was so pissed I hung up on him.

I know I've got my moneys worth out of my lifetime sub, but I' will keep my 02 Chevy P/up with Alpine SIR-Alp1 receiver through the Apocalypse, just to make certain I squeeze every dime I can out of these bastad's.
post #76 of 302 Old 12-31-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs1820 View Post

It's $3.50/ month for one sub. I'm a lifer since 2006 and after complaining that when the internet app was free it never worked, the lady on the phone comped me for a year. Since I have Sprint and free data on my smartphone, my wife and I share the internet sub and bluetooth it into the OEM stereo in our car. You cant have 2 phones running the same login so I wanted to add a 2nd so it was uninterrupted for both of us. When I Called to add the 2nd internet subs, I was told it was $14/mo. I flipped out on the guy, first of all it says $3.50 on my account page but furthermore we used to get up to 5 internet accounts for free. He laughed and said that hasn't happened in years. The funny thing is when I called, I was going to compliment Sirius for finally fixing the app and making it usable, which is why I wanted the 2nd and possibly a 3rd sub (for my daughter) but by the end of the conversation I was so pissed I hung up on him.
I know I've got my moneys worth out of my lifetime sub, but I' will keep my 02 Chevy P/up with Alpine SIR-Alp1 receiver through the Apocalypse, just to make certain I squeeze every dime I can out of these bastad's.

I'd love to hear the stuttering and stammering the management at Sirius would have to go through in order to explain exactly why a Lifetime Subscriber who also bought lifetime access to Internet streaming included at no extra charge shouldn't be able to listen to that free Internet streaming on a computer that he can hold in one hand instead of resting it on his lap. Ok, maybe they can monkey with the language in the fine print in order to deny free access to Sirius via cellphone data streaming, but was there really something in the original fine print that stipulated the size of the computer on which that free Internet streaming must be delivered from a wi-fi hotspot?
post #77 of 302 Old 01-05-2013, 12:07 PM

Hello everyone: I was curious is there a certain number I should call to get my old sirius lifetime transfered over to an XM side lifetime?

I have already have an XM radio still active-- would they just change this account to the lifetime or would it be necessary to create an entirely new XM side account?

Thanks!
post #78 of 302 Old 01-05-2013, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
final(?) update

I have the siriusxm LYNX,it was switched over from my Sirius lifetime acct on dec 7th to the siriusxm lifetime plan.(3 calls and 1.5+ hrs on the phone) They billed me $100 fee for upgrading my sirius select plan to the siriusxm Lifetime "everything plan" with lifetime internet,except internet didn't work.Later when i finally opened the paper bill I noticed that when they changed my internet log on they misspelled it from what they told me on the phone. So I tried it and IT WORKED!

SO to recap I currently have a LIFETIME LYNX radio with lifetime internet service(I hope),and a happy ending to the story.(I think)

Will I still have internet in the future? Or even a lifetime sat radio? I don't know but for now Im hopeful, The Lynx and upgrade to service cost me some cash,but the service is worth it to me as a truck driver.The LYNX is a good radio with some faults,but overall I am happy with it.

So it can be done with persistence, and like joeepistonee said, being polite and patient works wonders...smile.gif
post #79 of 302 Old 01-05-2013, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddvd View Post

final(?) update
I have the siriusxm LYNX,it was switched over from my Sirius lifetime acct on dec 7th to the siriusxm lifetime plan.(3 calls and 1.5+ hrs on the phone) They billed me $100 fee for upgrading my sirius select plan to the siriusxm Lifetime "everything plan" with lifetime internet...

...So it can be done with persistence, and like joeepistonee said, being polite and patient works wonders...smile.gif
While I agree that being polite and patient might smooth the pathway to achieving what you achieved, I also have a hunch that even a raging madman would get the deal most people are saying they got and that joeepisonee said can be gotten (if you're nice..?) if he makes 3 calls, spends 1.5+ hrs on the phone and pays $100. After all, the raging madman can easily cite posts on websites like these showing some people got the deal and so why shouldn't he. I'm sure there is a selective enforcement issue the raging madman could bring up, a whole fuss about why anyone needs to be "nice" to get what many who bought the exact same original deal are already getting and, lo and behold, even the raging madman would get it too. Eventually.

Although I don't believe those were the exact terms when I originally bought my Lifetime Sirius Everything subscription, I tacitly accepted the original lifetime restriction of 3 transfers and a $75 fee for each as a means to discourage true nutcases from hassling the Sirius customer service people every year to transfer or upgrade to a new radio with no expectation of at least some penalty with the real world belief that if your first call to make a transfer came 5 years after purchasing your first radio they'd waive the fee and the restriction if you complained about it enough, nicely or the raging madman way. Kind of like the $10 co-pay health insurance companies impose for visits to the doctor's office. It isn't as though the insurance company or the doctors are going to go broke if you don't pay the $10 co-pay, but they need to set up some expectation of penalty for the insured or he'll show up at the doctor's office every day just for the company. Meanwhile, no doctor's office will likely turn away an insured person who truly needs medical care because they don't have the $10 (of course, the analogy falls apart in this case because there are laws restricting what doctors and medical facilities can do in this case, but you get the idea).

Meanwhile, back to a certain reality about what the merger shell game really and truly did to scam early Sirius Everything Lifetime subscribers (with free lifetime Internet access) on the Internet access issue; I'd wager no amount of niceness nor raging madman behavior will restore free lifetime Internet access to my Sirius Everything Lifetime subscription (with free lifetime Internet access, mind you) on a little wi-fi capable computer device I can hold in my hand called a Samsung Galaxy SII, a Galaxy Note, an Apple iPhone or an Apple iPod Touch without launching into a lifetime of paying the extra $2.99 per month to do it. And I do see that as an all out shell game scam by Sirius.
post #80 of 302 Old 01-06-2013, 12:35 PM

the $100 was to upgrade to the plan that includes every channel from both platforms. I could have switched over and kept my "select" plan but I want everything and in the contract that cost $100.
Also to clarify, I found out that I do not have Lifetime internet, only 1 year of service, so its back to the phone I go...
post #81 of 302 Old 01-06-2013, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

the $100 was to upgrade to the plan that includes every channel from both platforms. I could have switched over and kept my "select" plan but I want everything and in the contract that cost $100.
Also to clarify, I found out that I do not have Lifetime internet, only 1 year of service, so its back to the phone I go...
Got it. Still, I think bringing more business, more money to the table probably greased the wheels for them finding a way to waive other potential fees or restrictions as much if not more than your being polite and patient about it...apparently except for the Lifetime Internet access, which, as far as I'm concerned, by all ethical and legitimate standards and rights you should not only continue to get but should also get without additional charge on ANY Internet/Wi-Fi-enabled device you choose to listen to it on, including those small enough to fit in one hand, pin to your lapel or plug into one ear.
post #82 of 302 Old 01-08-2013, 01:55 PM

Hi there -

If you have any questions about your accounts, we'll be more than happy to answer them either here or feel free to send us an email: sxm_help@siriusxm.com.

We see that you are discussing Lifetime accounts. To learn about automotive lifetime policy, please visit: https://listenercare.siriusxm.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3672/kw/lifetime%20policy

Thanks,
SiriusXM Digital Care Team
post #83 of 302 Old 01-08-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:

Lifetime internet does NOT exist, it hasn't for years. It was a special promotion that was going on for a limited time for those who purchased lifetimes. When you switch from Sirius to XM, or SiriusXM (Because the radio ID is an XM one), or vise versa, you lose that free internet radio because they cancel out one radio that's on the opposite platform, to the new one. If you people are wanting to switch from one platform to the other, i would suggest you WAIT! We're getting a refresher on the coss platform swaps, where I'm most certain, if you're trying to do what you just did, you wouldn't lose you free internet. They're currently debugging the system we use to allow such swaps to different platforms, even have Sirius, XM, & SiriusXM radios all on the same account!

My suggestion, if you have free internet with your lifetime, WAIT!
post #84 of 302 Old 01-09-2013, 10:17 AM

For those of us who have a lifetime plan/free internet, they still do not honor it for Android and Apple apps, there is a monthly app fee, so basically "free" internet is useless unless you tie yourself to a desk or laptop.
post #85 of 302 Old 01-09-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:

You could get the Lynx for Sirius only?
post #86 of 302 Old 01-09-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

For those of us who have a lifetime plan/free internet, they still do not honor it for Android and Apple apps, there is a monthly app fee, so basically "free" internet is useless unless you tie yourself to a desk or laptop.

Yes, I'd look for a company wide Sirius/SiriusXM corporate freak-out and introduction of all "new" improvised terms of agreement the day some clever manufacturer produces a no-apps-required laptop computer with a 12 hour battery that also happens to be no bigger than an iPhone, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy S3 or a Note II.
post #87 of 302 Old 01-18-2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:

You could get the Lynx for Sirius only?
Yes and no, I was able to switch my sirius lifetime account to a siriusxm account and it pretty much was the same service(with some minor differences),however I enjoy programs that are only on the xm side (opie and anthony,ron and fez) so I opted to pay the additional 100 bucks to get everything.I drive for a living so i need all the content i can get!
Quote:

Lifetime internet does NOT exist, it hasn't for years.
and
My suggestion, if you have free internet with your lifetime, WAIT!

Before I purchased my LYNX from siriusxm the rep assured me i would continue to get lifetime internet but would have to wait for a month or so for the "computers to be upgraded". well I waited and called back and as of 3 months later those darn computers still haven't been fixed. I suspect I was a victim of my own exuberance about getting a new radio and perhaps a zealous salesperson. I AGREE, wait until the word is given before switching,I very rarely use internet radio but it was nice on those times i did use it.

On another note the rep stated I have had my sirius lifetime acct since 2004, so really even if i lose internet radio i cant complain about the time i have had use of it!
The LYNX radio,although costly, is pretty nice though coming from my old audiovox monster anything would have been an improvement.
post #88 of 302 Old 01-19-2013, 06:31 AM

The merge between Sirius & XM accounts is happening 1/20/13, TOMORROW. If only you have have waited a tiny bit longer, you could have kept it. We got word a few weeks ago & even before that, but it was pushed back, but it is supposed to for sure happen this tomorrow on 1/20/13.
post #89 of 302 Old 01-21-2013, 03:45 PM

I was promised that I would be able to keep it when the computers were updated,so I guess I will call again and get them to keep their word,nicely of course....smile.gif
post #90 of 302 Old 01-22-2013, 09:20 AM

Systems have been updated since 1/20/13, & the merge was successful. The computers were lagging & kept freezing yesterday. It is expected since it's a huge update throughout the entire system, I had to reboot my computer twice, some more than others. It was a mess yesterday, but the merging of your accounts is attainable, just be expecting to wait a few extra minutes for the lagging system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page