Sirius Lifetimers Beware - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #181 of 247 Old 01-30-2014, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The Morning Mashup (I assume it's what it's still called) is horrible. It's everything that's bad about morning FM radio multiplied by 10.

When the DJs first started showing up, years back, I was annoyed. I thought, "Just play the music!" I eventually realized that they provided a nice little break so it doesn't sound like an MP3 player on random. A DJ, when it's done correctly, is kind of nice, I think. If you listen to any of the decade channels the DJs there are pretty good. SiriusHits1 during the weekday mornings is just miserable. It's an inane question like, "Do you use liquid soap or a bar in the shower?" and then, I'm just going to say it, stupid people call in to tell the DJs what they use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 247 Old 01-31-2014, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Sirius lifetime on a portable radio, I remember the original terms being 3 transfers with a $75xfer fee. I have not used a xfer yet. I really hope it is honored when needed and I don't lose any channels. Also I haven't checked my acct until today but it says I have a "select" account, I don't remember it being called that. As far as I know I have all the Sirius content.

I have to check my files to see if I hopefully have the life terms in writing.

Also it seems they finally released a good portable new receiver that compares well with the sporster 5 on Sirius without needing xm.
post #183 of 247 Old 01-31-2014, 10:02 AM

Did you ever upgrade to Best of XM? - if you had and did it 'lifetime' then it would have been $100.

If you never did then, I think, you basically have the same lifetime that you originally paid for.
post #184 of 247 Old 01-31-2014, 01:12 PM

I only have Sirius. I didn't know I could have upgraded to include XM. The only thing I miss out on not having XM I'd want is Opie & Anthony and fantasy sports radio, but that's fine.
post #185 of 247 Old 02-09-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Bishop View Post

A DJ, when it's done correctly, is kind of nice, I think. If you listen to any of the decade channels the DJs there are pretty good.

Certainly, you would NOT be including that motor mouth, Cousin Brucie? I for one, would like to punch him in the mouth and put an epoxy-laden sock in it! I always hear what "a legend" he was to New York radio. Well, maybe senility has kicked in because the only "legend" he is in my mind is a legendary embarrassment. It's the "Sixties" channel, yet (at least on the few occasions that he is actually playing music between all of his inane jabbering) he plays mostly 50s music and occasionally an 80s song, just because he "likes it." The 60s channel, when he's not on, which is extremely rare because they run his show almost every day/night now, used to be my favorite channel. Now, I rarely listen to it for more than a minute or two.

Speaking of "motor mouth" .. (I think that's the name of the DJ that is on the 60s at 6 on the rare occasion that "the Cuz" isn't on) .. I agree that HE is pretty good. He knows how to get in and out of a song quickly and unlike the Cuz, understands that people are listening FOR music, not his "legendary wit!"

I only maintain my Sirius sub (subscriber since 2004) for the NFL (listen to my hometown paly-by-play announcers for the Redskins) to listen to while I watch NFL Sunday Ticket games and a few talk shows. I am thinking of dropping it altogether because music just sounds AWFUL now -- like a 24kbps mp3 recorded from a worn out 45 rpm vinyl -- and is Sirius really outdated now with so many alternative ways to listen to your OWN music on the go? Like I said .. if it wasn't for a couple of talk shows I listen to that I can't get locally (but could stream for free on my phone if I wasn't so lazy to set it up) and the NFL, I would have dumped Sirius years ago! Plus, another annoyance is that my Nissan that I bought a couple of years ago came with XM pre-installed and SiriusXM won't give me the same channels (including the NFL channel) without paying a fortune each month! Kind of like I'm being punished because I bought a make of car that only pre-installs XM.

Screw SiriusXM!
post #186 of 247 Old 02-10-2014, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLnut View Post

Certainly, you would NOT be including that motor mouth, Cousin Brucie? I for one, would like to punch him in the mouth and put an epoxy-laden sock in it! I always hear what "a legend" he was to New York radio. Well, maybe senility has kicked in because the only "legend" he is in my mind is a legendary embarrassment. It's the "Sixties" channel, yet (at least on the few occasions that he is actually playing music between all of his inane jabbering) he plays mostly 50s music and occasionally an 80s song, just because he "likes it." The 60s channel, when he's not on, which is extremely rare because they run his show almost every day/night now, used to be my favorite channel. Now, I rarely listen to it for more than a minute or two.

I wasn't thinking of anyone in particular. It was more just a general statement reflecting on how bad SiriusXM Hits 1 is.

On the decades channels, when I occasionally tune to them, they seem fine to me. DJ comes on, introduces the song, maybe has a little back story on the song or artist, and the song plays. Even some of the people from the idiot morning mashup on SiriusXM Hits 1 are good when left to their own devices on other channels.
post #187 of 247 Old 02-11-2014, 10:08 AM

I have a major issue that needs resolution from someone at SiriusXM ASAP. I have two lifetime subscriptions, one Sirius one XM. Both were signed up and paid for during the time when you paid for lifetime, you were given free internet streaming (PC only) on the account. I have had free internet streaming on both of my accounts for many years.

In 2013, I added "internet radio premium" to my XM account so I could use my smartphone. It was ~$10/month after taxes.

On Feb 9, I called to cancel this as I no longer need the smartphone plan. In the process of canceling the added on internet premium, my lifetime radio (Pioneer Inno) became deactivated. I called back, they re activated it but I was missing channels (I have the XM Premier plan, which includes 100/101, etc). They finally got it sorted out and my radio was re-provisioned to received the proper channels.

Major issue: someone at Sirius canceled my lifetime free internet streaming! I have called several times and nobody can help. All they want me to do is pay for it and are telling me I never had a free internet streaming plan on my account. THIS IS 100% FALSE I USED IT FOR YEARS AND IT WAS PART OF MY LIFETIME.

One rep said I gave permission to cancel the free internet radio account. WHY would I do that? Someone please help me understand why I would give up something that's not only free, but was part of my lifetime sub to begin with?? This is 100% false. I called to cancel the add-on $9 smartphone streaming only. NOT the free internet streaming. Not my fault someone mis-understood me (apparently) but I maintain that I most certainly did not authorize my free internet plan to be canceled. Not at all.

I am fully prepared to start an executive email carpet/letter campaign as unauthorized changes were made to my lifetime account without my permission and nobody is willing to put back on the internet streaming that I have had for many years. It's just gone.

Someone please help. I'm happy to talk to someone who understands as customer service is worthless.
post #188 of 247 Old 02-11-2014, 12:09 PM

Just called today and talked to someone somewhere and if I understand correctly the term "lifetime" was kind of a lie. I bought a "lifetime" subscription back in 2006 for my Sportster and was told I could transfer it 3 times for free and $75 fee for each additional transfer. The sportster broke ~3 years ago, and I never bothered transferring since I mostly listen online now anyway. I just bought a new Honda and called about transferring the subscription to it, they told me that they can but then it is stuck with that radio. They say it's for the "lifetime of the radio" which makes no sense to me technically, I understand that they want to purge themselves of these plans but, aren't they basically just pointing a signal at a piece of hardware (shrug). Additionally, my home radio was a Sirius radio with a select package so if I transfer the select package to my car that has an XM radio I won't even get Howard Stern, 99% of what I listen to.

Am I understanding this correctly?! There's got to be a lawsuit here somewhere. Are they ever going to officially become one real company?!

post #189 of 247 Old 02-11-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post

This is 100% false. I called to cancel the add-on $9 smartphone streaming only. NOT the free internet streaming. Not my fault someone mis-understood me (apparently) but I maintain that I most certainly did not authorize my free internet plan to be canceled. Not at all.

You were paying $9/mo for add-on smartphone streaming? That's fishy. It should have been $3.50/mo. If you have an active radio account, you get a discounted rate. Are your Sirius and XM accounts linked, or separate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blg00 View Post

Just called today and talked to someone somewhere and if I understand correctly the term "lifetime" was kind of a lie. I bought a "lifetime" subscription back in 2006 for my Sportster and was told I could transfer it 3 times for free and $75 fee for each additional transfer. The sportster broke ~3 years ago, and I never bothered transferring since I mostly listen online now anyway. I just bought a new Honda and called about transferring the subscription to it, they told me that they can but then it is stuck with that radio.

SiriusXM treats OEM (car radios) differently from portables/home units. This is actually spelled out in the agreement when you signed up for lifetime.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #190 of 247 Old 02-11-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

You were paying $9/mo for add-on smartphone streaming? That's fishy. It should have been $3.50/mo. If you have an active radio account, you get a discounted rate. Are your Sirius and XM accounts linked, or separate?
SiriusXM treats OEM (car radios) differently from portables/home units. This is actually spelled out in the agreement when you signed up for lifetime.
No, I was paying $9 because it was made clear to me that if I accepted the add-on rate of $3.50 (many months ago) I would lose the lifetime free PC streaming rights.

I made it crystal clear that I did not want to give up my free lifetime internet radio streaming account and I was slotted in at the higher rate of $9/month ($10.17 after taxes). I have done this before and when I canceled the premium internet radio streaming, it did not affect my lifetime plan or lifetime internet streaming.

The rep who made the change to my account made a mistake and took the entire streaming off of my account. I need that back as I never agreed to this. If I was paying the discounted rate of $3.50 (now $4) I would understand, but I never agreed to the lower rate because it was made clear to me that doing so would remove the free internet listening from my account.

Another infurating thing I just noticed on "my account." My balance is showing as $901.38. WTF? I haven't paid a penny since 2004, now suddenly a change, effective 2/9/2014? NOPE.
post #191 of 247 Old 02-11-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:

Yeah still a bummer. Still seems kinda dumb to me, why does the hardware (the radio) has any affect on, the pricing of at least, the software (the subscription). E.G. I can buy a new iPhone and still have access to all my app. Maybe not a perfect example but…

post #192 of 247 Old 02-11-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blg00 View Post

Yeah still a bummer. Still seems kinda dumb to me, why does the hardware (the radio) has any affect on, the pricing of at least, the software (the subscription). E.G. I can buy a new iPhone and still have access to all my app. Maybe not a perfect example but…

I have a few lifetime accounts on XM and Sirius and I'll confirm that's the deal. I'm also with you on it - I never understood it.

If you bought a new Honda, for example, back when they offered lifetime subs then, if I remember correctly, you could get a lifetime sub for it but you could never transfer it.

Some people claimed it was because it was subsidized or some other such excuse but it never made any sort of sense to me.

A good alternative is to get one of the old Directed SCC1 tuners with the appropriate adapter so you can have a lifetime sub in your car. It's what I do. When I go to the next car I'll just take that tuner + adapter with me.
post #193 of 247 Old 02-11-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:

I have a major issue that needs resolution from someone at SiriusXM ASAP. I have two lifetime subscriptions, one Sirius one XM. Both were signed up and paid for during the time when you paid for lifetime, you were given free internet streaming (PC only) on the account. I have had free internet streaming on both of my accounts for many years.

In 2013, I added "internet radio premium" to my XM account so I could use my smartphone. It was ~$10/month after taxes.

On Feb 9, I called to cancel this as I no longer need the smartphone plan. In the process of canceling the added on internet premium, my lifetime radio (Pioneer Inno) became deactivated. I called back, they re activated it but I was missing channels (I have the XM Premier plan, which includes 100/101, etc). They finally got it sorted out and my radio was re-provisioned to received the proper channels.

Major issue: someone at Sirius canceled my lifetime free internet streaming! I have called several times and nobody can help. All they want me to do is pay for it and are telling me I never had a free internet streaming plan on my account. THIS IS 100% FALSE I USED IT FOR YEARS AND IT WAS PART OF MY LIFETIME.

One rep said I gave permission to cancel the free internet radio account. WHY would I do that? Someone please help me understand why I would give up something that's not only free, but was part of my lifetime sub to begin with?? This is 100% false. I called to cancel the add-on $9 smartphone streaming only. NOT the free internet streaming. Not my fault someone mis-understood me (apparently) but I maintain that I most certainly did not authorize my free internet plan to be canceled. Not at all.

I am fully prepared to start an executive email carpet/letter campaign as unauthorized changes were made to my lifetime account without my permission and nobody is willing to put back on the internet streaming that I have had for many years. It's just gone.

Someone please help. I'm happy to talk to someone who understands as customer service is worthless.

This resonates as very true; we went through the same process you are experiencing. Read our entire story in this same thread and maybe it will help your situation:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1386303/sirius-lifetimers-beware/120#post_23369889

::k::

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #194 of 247 Old 02-11-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nCubed View Post

This resonates as very true; we went through the same process you are experiencing. Read our entire story in this same thread and maybe it will help your situation:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1386303/sirius-lifetimers-beware/120#post_23369889
Thanks for this. It's exactly what happened to me...well, almost anyway.

I was told when I added the smartphone internet radio that I could get the rate of $3.50 if I agreed to forego my free internet lifetime streaming plan. I refused this and opted to pay the higher rate ($8.99/month I believe). My billing history backs this up. So I could better understand the lifetime internet being axed if I took advantage of the lower price, but I never did.

This is why I'm so steamed. Not only did I pay the higher price with the understanding that if I canceled it, it would not affect my free internet streaming, but I also lost my grandfathered internet streaming when I removed the premium add-on service. That isn't how this works.

I emailed every executive I could google and got a response from the Corporate Office with a case number. I'l be calling them tomorrow to sort this out for good.

Entirely frustrating ordeal. They cannot wait to find a way to get more revenue from lifers. Sorry, but I laid out $1,000 (two life subs) many years ago. I gambled on their success (and bought a few thousand shares as well). I am not looking for some award, I just want the T&C from my faith in forking over so much cash during a very dicy future to be honored.
post #195 of 247 Old 02-12-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

The rep who made the change to my account made a mistake and took the entire streaming off of my account.

I hate to hear that this happened to you. It is one of the reasons I've been saying I would never contact SiriusXM for ANYTHING short of a dire emergency. I am one of those people where the Internet streaming is of paramount importance and the main reason I BOUGHT a Lifetime subscription to begin with (remember, none of this was "free", not even the lifetime Internet streaming. We early Lifetimers BOUGHT it, PAID for it. It was part of the service we purchased and, for many of us, the deciding factor in purchasing it.). Consequently, I am extremely wary of tempting fate or whatever it might take to have a SiriusXM Customer Rep "accidentally" hit the wrong key or brush a sleeve across a computer mouse at the wrong moment during a logged contact with them and summarily delete the Lifetime Internet Streaming service I bought fair and square years ago.

Now, we have been TOLD that, aw shucks, just give it up if you change anything on your subscription and lose your Lifetime Internet Streaming because, darn it all, SiriusXM, the poor thing, simply doesn't have the CODE to reinstate Lifetime Internet Streaming and once it's gone, it's gone forever. Well, your case will be the test case for this (sad to say). If they really don't have a code for reinstating it under any circumstances then you will never ever get back the Lifetime Internet Streaming feature you bought way back when no matter what the reason, no matter whose fault it was, mistake or intentional, end of story, right? On the other hand, if someone at SiriusXM does locate that elusive "code" and, miracle of miracles, can reinstate your Lifetime Internet Streaming on the basis that it was their mistake during that recent transaction then, well...I think the jig is up on this "SiriusXM does not have a code for it!" excuse being floated of late.

If the "no code" bit prevails, then, at best, they might be able to give you 3 years of Internet streaming and every three years you'll have to re-invent the wheel with them and start all over again making your case with whatever Customer Rep picks up the phone that day to see if you can convince him/her to give you another three years...

Good luck with your effort to get it reinstated and please keep us posted on any stage of the process you care to share.
post #196 of 247 Old 02-12-2014, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ahhh... so they wiped out your Premier channels and when they instituted the change to get them back, you lost the internet. Sounds familiar. Save yourself the time and frustration of calling the normal customer line and instead send a message thru their Facebook portal. You should then get a response with a phone number to speak with an American human being, who will then see that you used to have lifetime internet, and they...(should)... be able to give you the three year promo plan. Good luck.
post #197 of 247 Old 02-12-2014, 10:50 PM

Thanks guys for the comments. I emailed the CEO and a few others and got a response from Corporate Relations or something like that.

All is good. They added the 3-yr on my account (includes smartphone also) and when I asked for the every 3-yr indefinite extension in writing he told me it was on my account and would not be a problem. All I have to do is call in and tell them to renew it every three years.

I printed, framed and saved this email chain in about 5 different places, just to be sure.

Quite the nightmare, but they addressed it the proper way in the end.

Moral of the story is NEVER EVER call SiriusXM if you have a lifetime. Don't ever call them. Don't ever add anything to your account. Don't make a single change to anything. Don't touch anything because the moment you do, things break that may or may not be repairable. Shame, really but that's the only way it can be. Period.
post #198 of 247 Old 02-13-2014, 06:24 AM

I haven't called in to change anything and I just noticed on my account that one of my radios is listed as 'XM Select'. So they're screwing it up without anyone even calling in.

I'm letting my daughter use that radio and I'm going to see if she's getting the missing channels or not. If she's not getting them then I'm going to have to call. Better to sort it out now than to let it just go.

The dumb thing: They'll do ANYTHING but let a lifetime subscriber have access to their internet streaming. That's really the crux of the issue. They basically realigned their packages so that "Premier" means you get the higher bandwidth internet and now that just screws the lifetimes because "that's not what you paid for". I can tell you what I paid for: all channels on SiriusXM. What I didn't pay for was this BS.
post #199 of 247 Old 02-13-2014, 07:23 AM

I just did a chat to get them to fix it. They just did it online without issue.

My radio is now showing as:

Audio:
XM Select
Lifetime Plan
XM Premier Upgrade
Lifetime Plan

My other XM radios all show as:
XM Premier

To be clear: I paid for XM Everything Lifetime + Best of Sirius ($100 extra) so it's not like I'm trying to pull a fast one.

If anyone else is in my shoes it looks like you can just ask the CSR and they'll fix it for you (in case they say you can't upgrade to Premier).

None of this includes Internet streaming as that wasn't offered when this particular radio went lifetime.
post #200 of 247 Old 02-13-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:

All is good. They added the 3-yr on my account (includes smartphone also) and when I asked for the every 3-yr indefinite extension in writing he told me it was on my account and would not be a problem. All I have to do is call in and tell them to renew it every three years.

I printed, framed and saved this email chain in about 5 different places, just to be sure.
Glad to hear you got everything sorted out. Keep that email in safe keeping for 3 more years... we have ours backed up in several locations including a fire-safe.

::k::

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #201 of 247 Old 02-13-2014, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

Thanks guys for the comments. I emailed the CEO and a few others and got a response from Corporate Relations or something like that.

Quite the nightmare, but they addressed it the proper way in the end.

Moral of the story is NEVER EVER call SiriusXM if you have a lifetime. Don't ever call them. Don't ever add anything to your account. Don't make a single change to anything. Don't touch anything because the moment you do, things break that may or may not be repairable. Shame, really but that's the only way it can be. Period.

Good to hear you at least got onto the "Beg us for what you paid for again in 3 years" program. But, imo, once a welching scammer, always a welching scammer. I doubt very much that the powers that be at SiriusXM are going to be the exception to that rule. If they "lost" and cannot re-write the code for establishing Lifetime Internet Streaming, who's to say they won't "lose" and will not be able to re-write the code for establishing "Beg us for what you paid for again in 3 years" no matter how many hard copies of that agreement you lock up for safekeeping? They can lose that code and reduce it to "Beg us...every 6 months", then reduce that to "Beg us...every month" with a single key stroke just like they did with the one you and the rest of us paid for from the very beginning, right? Of course, we will only know how this turns out in the fullness of time.
post #202 of 247 Old 02-14-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Bishop View Post

To be clear: I paid for XM Everything Lifetime + Best of Sirius ($100 extra) so it's not like I'm trying to pull a fast one.

If anyone else is in my shoes it looks like you can just ask the CSR and they'll fix it for you (in case they say you can't upgrade to Premier).

None of this includes Internet streaming as that wasn't offered when this particular radio went lifetime.

I wonder if I can call up and get them to add $100 lifetime Best of XM to my Sirius lifetime. I never did at the time (5 years ago). I also never had internet.

post #203 of 247 Old 02-14-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I wonder if I can call up and get them to add $100 lifetime Best of XM to my Sirius lifetime. I never did at the time (5 years ago). I also never had internet.

I'd bet that the answer is, "NO!"

I think that if they came back on the scene with lifetime subscriptions that it wouldn't go over well because lifetime subs would say, "DON'T TRUST THEM!!!"

Of course, they're not going to do that so it doesn't matter but it does paint the stage for what couldn't be.
post #204 of 247 Old 03-31-2014, 07:03 PM

Well, despite reading this post previously, I decided to try transferring my Sirius lifetime subscription with Best of XM (which they had converted to Sirius Premier?)  My old Sirius Stiletto 100 quit working, so I had to do something.  I purchased a new SiriuxXM Onyx Plus.  I called someone who I had been corresponding with through the online customer service.  I asked whether I would lose any channels that I currently have and was told "no" repeatedly.  I also asked him if I still had lifetime internet listening.  I have been paying the $3-4 a month for the last many years for the smart phone access, so I wasn't sure if i even that that anymore anyway, although I believe I did at one time.  Not sure if i would have lost that when I upgraded to Best of XM or when I added the premium internet access.

Anyway, I decided to have him transfer my subscription to the new Onyx Plus, since he said he would not charge the $75 transfer fee this time.  Well big surprise, after having it activated and going through some of the channels, I see I am missing at least some.  So far I noticed I am missing Howard 100 and 101, which i previously had.  So I log onto my account and see they have me on SiriusXM Select.  It appears this does not include Howard and perhaps NFL radio?  I haven't researched enough to see what else I am missing.

I had already given up on the fact that I should have still had the internet listening from my computer.  But I would at least like to keep all the channels I previously had on my Sirius lifetime subscription with "Best of XM".  Very frustrating!

post #205 of 247 Old 04-01-2014, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff0514 View Post

Well, despite reading this post previously, I decided to try transferring my Sirius lifetime subscription with Best of XM (which they had converted to Sirius Premier?)  My old Sirius Stiletto 100 quit working, so I had to do something.  I purchased a new SiriuxXM Onyx Plus.  I called someone who I had been corresponding with through the online customer service.  I asked whether I would lose any channels that I currently have and was told "no" repeatedly.  I also asked him if I still had lifetime internet listening.  I have been paying the $3-4 a month for the last many years for the smart phone access, so I wasn't sure if i even that that anymore anyway, although I believe I did at one time.  Not sure if i would have lost that when I upgraded to Best of XM or when I added the premium internet access.

Anyway, I decided to have him transfer my subscription to the new Onyx Plus, since he said he would not charge the $75 transfer fee this time.  Well big surprise, after having it activated and going through some of the channels, I see I am missing at least some.  So far I noticed I am missing Howard 100 and 101, which i previously had.  So I log onto my account and see they have me on SiriusXM Select.  It appears this does not include Howard and perhaps NFL radio?  I haven't researched enough to see what else I am missing.

I had already given up on the fact that I should have still had the internet listening from my computer.  But I would at least like to keep all the channels I previously had on my Sirius lifetime subscription with "Best of XM".  Very frustrating!

I think they just goofed up on this one. I'd chat with them online and say, "Hey, add my premier back!" and they did and now, online, my radio looks like this:
XM Select
Lifetime Plan
XM Premier Upgrade
Lifetime Plan

So, there is an option.

My other lifetime radio just says XM Premier. They goofed up this particular radio at some point but did have the ability to just fix it without having to go through multiple tiers of customer service.
post #206 of 247 Old 04-01-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff0514 View Post

If you have Sirius Select, even without Best of XM you should have Howard and NFL. Those are (or were) Sirius exclusives.

post #207 of 247 Old 05-01-2014, 07:15 AM

Thanks for all the good info, everyone. I'm a Lifetimer since 2005. My 9 year old Eclipse head unit is beginning to fail, so I've been looking into new head units, most of which support SiriusXM radio. The key points for me in having the Lifetime subscription are: Howard Stern in my car, and Howard on my computer. The sound quality for music is horrendous, so never use Sirius for anything but Stern, with occasional usage of some of the comedy channels like Raw Dog, and - rarely - NFL broadcasts. I do not use the app on my Android phone because I didn't want to have an additional bill every month; it would be nice to have this, but not a big deal. So I'm nervous about losing any of my capabilites when I get a new stereo. Some of last year's model stereos are Sat-Ready rather than SiriusXM-ready; do you think I'm safer sticking with a non-SiriusXM-ready unit? I doubt my old Eclipse branded Sirius tuner will work with Kenwood, Pioneer, etc., but as long as I can maintain my current subscription levels, I can stomach buying a new tuner. Once Howard goes off the air on satellite I will no longer care about it, so if getting a year-old stereo keeps me in the Howard game until he retires, I'll be happy.
post #208 of 247 Old 05-01-2014, 02:38 PM

Update - I filled out the form on Facebook this morning and received a phone call this afternoon. I got the offer of a one-time, $100 fee to upgrade the service and transfer the service to a new device, along with the assurance that they would do the free 3 year "trial period" which would keep my internet service (web-based, on the PC) working and that I would simply renew that in 3 years for another 3 years, etc. She could not say whether this also allowed me to use the Android app on my phone, but she thought it did. If I can get all that working for $100, I suppose I can live with it, even though it's annoying to have paid a lot of money for a "lifetime" subscription, especially when it could amount to only another year and a half if Howard leaves like he's said he might.
post #209 of 247 Old 05-01-2014, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hella356 View Post

Thanks for all the good info, everyone. I'm a Lifetimer since 2005. My 9 year old Eclipse head unit is beginning to fail, so I've been looking into new head units, most of which support SiriusXM radio. The key points for me in having the Lifetime subscription are: Howard Stern in my car, and Howard on my computer. The sound quality for music is horrendous, so never use Sirius for anything but Stern, with occasional usage of some of the comedy channels like Raw Dog, and - rarely - NFL broadcasts. I do not use the app on my Android phone because I didn't want to have an additional bill every month; it would be nice to have this, but not a big deal. So I'm nervous about losing any of my capabilites when I get a new stereo. Some of last year's model stereos are Sat-Ready rather than SiriusXM-ready; do you think I'm safer sticking with a non-SiriusXM-ready unit? I doubt my old Eclipse branded Sirius tuner will work with Kenwood, Pioneer, etc., but as long as I can maintain my current subscription levels, I can stomach buying a new tuner. Once Howard goes off the air on satellite I will no longer care about it, so if getting a year-old stereo keeps me in the Howard game until he retires, I'll be happy.

I am not a Sirius or XM LIFETIMER, but dear G@d this sounds like why I have Sirius. Mainly for Howard, the Comedy channels, and some music(which sounds HORRIBLE). Just made me laugh.

Anyway, a good place to look for replacement units is EBay. I got a great deal on a lightly used Kenwood BT755 which was SIRIUS/XM READY(you need to buy the separate tuner for it too work). I did not need the SIRIUS/XM part of it because I had a Sirius Stiletto 100 already. And that unit connected nicely to the Kenwoods FRONT AUX INPUT for sound.

You could go that route too. Update BOTH the Radio, and buy a used Sirius unit. I would recommend the Sirius Stilleto 2. Use EBay. It is your Friend. With the Stiletto 2, you get over 100 hours of recording(Stern or anything), and is a real nice portable unit for both the house and car. If you want something cheaper, it is all there on EBay.

Also, sounds like you are coming from the SIRIUS side of things. So they probably are going to give 3 free years(or a $100 out of pocket expense to you) of Sirius Select(which is every channel SIRIUS offers. No XM) which is great for your needs/wants.

And you are right about Howard. I really think he is done in 1 1/2 years. He may start his own private app, and o radio that way. So ALL the money goes too him. Cannot see him signing up again. Maybe 3 years, but not another five. The Man is 60 years old.
post #210 of 247 Old 06-10-2014, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I can't believe the problem I had transferring my service to a new vehicle. Total consumer fraud and misrepresentation.  All I know is back in 2009 when my new vehicle's trial Sirius subscription ran out and I called to sign up I was told that for $750 (yes, $750 hard earned dollars which I paid Sirius!!!), I would get Sirius on my two (yes, two) existing vehicles with lifetime subscription plus be able to transfer the service three additional times to other vehicles such as when I purchased a new car or whatever. So I purchased a new vehicle last year that came with a trial subscription of its own... so when that trial ran out the other day and I needed to use my account, I called to use one of my three remaining vehicle transfers under my "lifetime" subscription to get service on the new vehicle. I was told that this was not possible; in order to be eligible to "transfer the account" without charge the vehicle would have had to be recalled under a warranty issue or some such B*Sh*t.  They said buying a new vehicle did not allow me to transfer service to the new vehicle at all under my lifetime subscription. Unbelievable!! I was pissed off beyond belief after taking them at their word during the sales process in 2009 and forking over what I considered a LOT of money at the time for lifetime service. Eventually, after much heated discussion, a supervisor approved transferring the account at no charge; however, there would be a $75 transfer fee now each time I used one of my three lifetime vehicle transfers (including this time)!  I'm livid by this point. They agreed to transfer the account but demand $75 each time I elect to use one of my previously purchased vehicle transfer opportunities?!!! More headed discussion and supervisor intervention and, yes, they waived the $75 transfer fee!  However, I was told that was the only time they would waive the transfer fee; so, even though I still have two more transfers allowed on my account I will supposedly not be able to avoid the $75 charge when I transfer service next time. I will cross that bridge when I get to it but have to say there must be a huge number of people who were previously conned by the same Sirius sales pitch that I was. There should be a class action lawsuit to address this situation and force the company to honor their commitments. It's unbelievable they they have been able to get away with screwing the public like this. Luckily they did not get me to this point but it was only after a huge amount of effort that I should never have had to make to get them to live up to their obligations. I can't wait to see what I have to go through the next time I try to use one of my already purchased radio transfers.  

Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page