Forum Jump: 

Old 06-11-2014, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius2 View Post

I can't believe the problem I had transferring my service to a new vehicle. Total consumer fraud and misrepresentation.  All I know is back in 2009 when my new vehicle's trial Sirius subscription ran out and I called to sign up I was told that for $750 (yes, $750 hard earned dollars which I paid Sirius!!!), I would get Sirius on my two (yes, two) existing vehicles with lifetime subscription plus be able to transfer the service three additional times to other vehicles such as when I purchased a new car or whatever. So I purchased a new vehicle last year that came with a trial subscription of its own... so when that trial ran out the other day and I needed to use my account, I called to use one of my three remaining vehicle transfers under my "lifetime" subscription to get service on the new vehicle. I was told that this was not possible; in order to be eligible to "transfer the account" without charge the vehicle would have had to be recalled under a warranty issue or some such B*Sh*t.  They said buying a new vehicle did not allow me to transfer service to the new vehicle at all under my lifetime subscription. Unbelievable!! I was pissed off beyond belief after taking them at their word during the sales process in 2009 and forking over what I considered a LOT of money at the time for lifetime service. Eventually, after much heated discussion, a supervisor approved transferring the account at no charge; however, there would be a $75 transfer fee now each time I used one of my three lifetime vehicle transfers (including this time)!  I'm livid by this point. They agreed to transfer the account but demand $75 each time I elect to use one of my previously purchased vehicle transfer opportunities?!!! More headed discussion and supervisor intervention and, yes, they waived the $75 transfer fee!  However, I was told that was the only time they would waive the transfer fee; so, even though I still have two more transfers allowed on my account I will supposedly not be able to avoid the $75 charge when I transfer service next time. I will cross that bridge when I get to it but have to say there must be a huge number of people who were previously conned by the same Sirius sales pitch that I was. There should be a class action lawsuit to address this situation and force the company to honor their commitments. It's unbelievable they they have been able to get away with screwing the public like this. Luckily they did not get me to this point but it was only after a huge amount of effort that I should never have had to make to get them to live up to their obligations. I can't wait to see what I have to go through the next time I try to use one of my already purchased radio transfers.  

I think there was just confusion.

The rule has always been:
- New vehicles (OEM Sirius/XM) could get lifetime but it wasn't transferrable.
- Other radios could get lifetime and it was transferrable but only up to 3 times and at a cost of $75 each time.

Now, the new vehicle rule never made sense to me but these two rules have been there and been made clear since the beginning. They've been shady with their lifetime internet rules, but they haven't been shady with this.

Now, I'm not saying whether the lady you originally spoke to on the phone when you purchased your lifetime sub misspoke or you misunderstood. I'm just saying that these have been the policies on lifetime subs for both services since the beginning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2014, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Brad,

I am positive that my experience is the same as Sirius 2's. I was not told on the phone when paying for a lifetime subscription that there were so many exclusions. At the time I paid for the lifetime subscription, I was driving a car that was many years old and a not so new stereo in said car. Because I used to drive in Houston traffic so often (3 hours a day commute time), I was rear ended and sideswiped way too many times in said car I had it installed. I'm not foolish enough to throw down almost $800 for something I'm fully aware that might get creamed in traffic the very next day. (Anyone who drives in big cities is fully aware of the ridiculous road rage and bumper to bumper driving so as not to allow anyone to cut in front of the driver.). Trust me, I would have known if the salesperson gave me the full picture of what I was throwing away. There will be a class action lawsuit one day. I'm trying to talk my ex into instigating it, but haven't done the research I've been asked to do (I'm a paralegal. Ex is obviously an attorney.)

Jen

QUOTE=Brad Bishop;24817520]Quote:Originally Posted by Sirius2 

I can't believe the problem I had transferring my service to a new vehicle. Total consumer fraud and misrepresentation.  All I know is back in 2009 when my new vehicle's trial Sirius subscription ran out and I called to sign up I was told that for $750 (yes, $750 hard earned dollars which I paid Sirius!!!), I would get Sirius on my two (yes, two) existing vehicles with lifetime subscription plus be able to transfer the service three additional times to other vehicles such as when I purchased a new car or whatever. So I purchased a new vehicle last year that came with a trial subscription of its own... so when that trial ran out the other day and I needed to use my account, I called to use one of my three remaining vehicle transfers under my "lifetime" subscription to get service on the new vehicle. I was told that this was not possible; in order to be eligible to "transfer the account" without charge the vehicle would have had to be recalled under a warranty issue or some such B*Sh*t.  They said buying a new vehicle did not allow me to transfer service to the new vehicle at all under my lifetime subscription. Unbelievable!! I was pissed off beyond belief after taking them at their word during the sales process in 2009 and forking over what I considered a LOT of money at the time for lifetime service. Eventually, after much heated discussion, a supervisor approved transferring the account at no charge; however, there would be a $75 transfer fee now each time I used one of my three lifetime vehicle transfers (including this time)!  I'm livid by this point. They agreed to transfer the account but demand $75 each time I elect to use one of my previously purchased vehicle transfer opportunities?!!! More headed discussion and supervisor intervention and, yes, they waived the $75 transfer fee!  However, I was told that was the only time they would waive the transfer fee; so, even though I still have two more transfers allowed on my account I will supposedly not be able to avoid the $75 charge when I transfer service next time. I will cross that bridge when I get to it but have to say there must be a huge number of people who were previously conned by the same Sirius sales pitch that I was. There should be a class action lawsuit to address this situation and force the company to honor their commitments. It's unbelievable they they have been able to get away with screwing the public like this. Luckily they did not get me to this point but it was only after a huge amount of effort that I should never have had to make to get them to live up to their obligations. I can't wait to see what I have to go through the next time I try to use one of my already purchased radio transfers.  

I think there was just confusion.

The rule has always been:
- New vehicles (OEM Sirius/XM) could get lifetime but it wasn't transferrable.
- Other radios could get lifetime and it was transferrable but only up to 3 times and at a cost of $75 each time.

Now, the new vehicle rule never made sense to me but these two rules have been there and been made clear since the beginning. They've been shady with their lifetime internet rules, but they haven't been shady with this.

Now, I'm not saying whether the lady you originally spoke to on the phone when you purchased your lifetime sub misspoke or you misunderstood. I'm just saying that these have been the policies on lifetime subs for both services since the beginning.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-12-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius2 View Post
All I know is back in 2009 when my new vehicle's trial Sirius subscription ran out and I called to sign up I was told that for $750 (yes, $750 hard earned dollars which I paid Sirius!!!), I would get Sirius on my two (yes, two) existing vehicles with lifetime subscription plus be able to transfer the service three additional times to other vehicles such as when I purchased a new car or whatever.
The salesperson I purchased my lifetime subscription from back in 2009 was very clear that OEM radios were non-transferrable. It sounds like you either misunderstood or were misinformed, but that has always been the policy.

$750 for two lifetime subscriptions is a very good deal for 2009. I paid $400 for one car, and it was "on sale" at the time, down from $500.

That being said, I'm encouraged that if my car ever needs to be transferred, all I have to do is call them up and complain a little loudly and they will happily transfer my service, despite my full knowledge that this should not be allowed by their T&C.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

Old 07-17-2014, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Lifetime Free Internet Radio

Sorry to bring up this old thread but I called in to Sirius about a renewal on a radio today. Was chatting with the rep about the "free" internet radio account that came with lifetime subs not working on the mobile apps and he said that wasn't the case any longer. Sure enough I logged into the android app and did NOT see the subscribe message. I am thinking this change was pretty recent and haven't really seen it posted elsewhere. Just as fyi!

My original lifetime sub was probably around 2005 on an external Alpine tuner (SIR ALP1).
slimm likes this.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I don't find this to be the case, it says I have to upgrade my subscription.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj View Post
I don't find this to be the case, it says I have to upgrade my subscription.
Interesting. That was the message that I always had too. Just looked and my sub date was 8/2006. I actually have a separate login for my radio account. On the website the account is listed as Free Internet Radio.
psuKinger likes this.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooper610 View Post
Interesting. That was the message that I always had too. Just looked and my sub date was 8/2006. I actually have a separate login for my radio account. On the website the account is listed as Free Internet Radio.
My online web account management page has been messed up for years, it won't let me even see my radio.

I've had it since just after they started offering lifetimes, several years before yours I think.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:51 PM

I went on the account webpage, recovered the login, selected 'change plan', it took me a menu, I selected not to make any changes.
It said if I make any changes I would lose my free online account listening. Went back to main page.

Re-downloaded the Android app, logged in with my web account, gave me an error, as expected. Then logged in with the online listening account... and it works!

Thanks for this huge update hooper.
psuKinger likes this.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I went on the account webpage, recovered the login, selected 'change plan', it took me a menu, I selected not to make any changes.
It said if I make any changes I would lose my free online account listening. Went back to main page.

Re-downloaded the Android app, logged in with my web account, gave me an error, as expected. Then logged in with the online listening account... and it works!

Thanks for this huge update hooper.
Glad to hear it worked! Now I can cancel my other sub. LOL
psuKinger and jinj like this.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:45 AM

Looks like it works!

Good for SiriusXM for doing this.

They've been raised up a notch in my book.
slimm likes this.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Bishop View Post
Looks like it works!

Good for SiriusXM for doing this.

They've been raised up a notch in my book.
They probably didn't do it because they wanted to make people happy, my guess is that it was a management/software decision, making it make less sense to keep the different streaming accounts separate.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
They probably didn't do it because they wanted to make people happy, my guess is that it was a management/software decision, making it make less sense to keep the different streaming accounts separate.
Yeah, I thought the same thing.

Still, they've been fighting this nonsense for so long, as have the subscribers, that it's nice that it worked out like this.
jinj likes this.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:34 PM

Transfer from a Sirius radio to a SiriusXM device?

I am just wondering if you have a lifetime subscription on a device that is an older (SIR-PNP2) device which is a Sirius device, can it be transferred to a SiriusXM device? According to the CS page, if the subscription was paid for before June 2005 it can be transferred as many times as you want, but that it will cost $75 each time. It doesn't however state whether or not it can be transferred from a Sirius device to a SiriusXM device. Also, any idea if I can transfer it out of my name into my friends name? I actually don't use it anymore, I have the old device and a friend has a brand new car with SiriusXM built in. He is loving his trial and wants me to transfer it into his name. Thanks in advance.

Got my own answer, in case anyone else cares.

Siddle: Hi, my name is Siddle, Thank you for contacting SiriusXM. How may I help you?
Me: I have an old Sirius device, a SIR-PNP2, that still works on my lifetime account, I am just wondering if the service can be transferred to a SiriusXM device, or if the technology is not compatible?
Siddle: I'll be happy to assist you with the information.
Siddle: xxxxx, you can definitely transfer the lifetime service to another radio and there would be a $75+tax transfer fee.
Me: online it says I can transfer as many times as I want for $75, I am just wondering if it has to be a Sirius device or if it can be a SiriusXM?
Siddle: You will be able to transfer for 3 times only.
Siddle: It can be Sirius or XM, it doesn't matter.
Me: According to the customer service page: Before June 20, 2005: Yes, it is transferable from one radio to another any number of times.*
Siddle: Sure, in this case you can do that.
Siddle: Do you have any more questions for me?
Me: Is it possible to transfer my account to another person? I don't use my subscription hardly ever. My friend would like to have it. He wonders if I can transfer it to his name.
Siddle: Sure, you can do that, we have a special team that will help you with that. Let me give you their telephone number.
Me: Does it cost?
Siddle: It will not cost you.
Siddle: Please call 888-601-6302 and that special department will handle that entire transaction for you.
Me: Awesome, thanks.
Siddle: You're welcome. Is there anything else that I may help you with today?
Me: Nope, that's it.
psuKinger and jinj like this.

Last edited by har02052; 07-22-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I just stumbled across this thread using The Google... and just switched to Android last week. So I downloaded the SiriusXM app, and tried to log in... still no go for me.

You guys STILL have free internet streaming, with your lifetime subscription? And you're now also using the mobile app (without a new or changed subscription)??
Old 07-30-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
I just stumbled across this thread using The Google... and just switched to Android last week. So I downloaded the SiriusXM app, and tried to log in... still no go for me.

You guys STILL have free internet streaming, with your lifetime subscription? And you're now also using the mobile app (without a new or changed subscription)??
Yes. I have no issues with using the mobile app with my old lifetime - free internet streaming setup.

It didn't used to work.
psuKinger likes this.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Yes. I have no issues with using the mobile app with my old lifetime - free internet streaming setup.

It didn't used to work.
Yes. I have a lifetime subscription (purchased in 2009, right when they notified everyone that free streaming would soon no longer be included for free with subscriptions... but that you could extend your subscription and your free streaming would extend for as long as you extend your contract. I upgraded all the way to Lifetime at that point).

I'm streaming on my PC right now, as I have been, "for free", ever since upgrading to Lifetime 5 years ago...

I just tried on my Android, after finding this thread... I still got the error message about how my account isn't valid, and I need to upgrade my plan in order to use the app. Any tips/hints/thoughts on how you made this work?

CORRECTION:
I cannot explain why, but the FIRST time I attempted to do it (an hour ago), I got denied, the same way I have been for years. I tried again, for no real reason at all... and this time the app let me log in and use it. I cannot explain why... but, based on my experiences, try to log in, not once, but twice!

Last edited by psuKinger; 07-30-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow!

I've never had online listening (it was not a part of my lifetime subscription when I purchased in August 2009). After hearing from folks in this thread, I decided it was worth a shot and logged in. Under "My Subscriptions", it still gives me the option to pay $4/mo for online listening, but when I go to view my plan, here are the options I see:

So, based on this information, it appears that I'm supposed to both not have internet and have internet. Contradictory, it seems. I decided that this needs testing, went to the radio (which never worked for me, ever) and logged in with my username and password. I am currently enjoying streaming music. I'll have to download the app to my phone and see if it works there, too.

I urge anyone else with lifetime to try this out.
jinj likes this.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 58
If I understand what is being posted about this...lifetime subscribers, like me, who also have been getting the free internet stream should now be able to download the SiriusXM app onto their Android smartphones and stream SiriusXM through it for free, without paying the additional $4 per month?

If that is what is being said...then, unfortunately, that is not what the Customer Service Rep at SiriusXM's online chat line said to me about my lifetime subscription. I downloaded the app, have now tried several times to log on and only get the "Basic Accounts Restricted" pop up saying I have to upgrade in order to listen on this device. My chat with Anthony at SiriusXM confirmed that is so, that there is no way on Earth I am going to be able to listen to SiriusXM on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 through the SiriusXM app unless I pony up $4 per month, end of story and thank you very much for asking.

Is what Anthony said true and in direct opposition to what others on this thread are experiencing?
Old 07-30-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchfan View Post
If I understand what is being posted about this...lifetime subscribers, like me, who also have been getting the free internet stream should now be able to download the SiriusXM app onto their Android smartphones and stream SiriusXM through it for free, without paying the additional $4 per month?

If that is what is being said...then, unfortunately, that is not what the Customer Service Rep at SiriusXM's online chat line said to me about my lifetime subscription. I downloaded the app, have now tried several times to log on and only get the "Basic Accounts Restricted" pop up saying I have to upgrade in order to listen on this device. My chat with Anthony at SiriusXM confirmed that is so, that there is no way on Earth I am going to be able to listen to SiriusXM on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 through the SiriusXM app unless I pony up $4 per month, end of story and thank you very much for asking.

Is what Anthony said true and in direct opposition to what others on this thread are experiencing?
Trying logging in several times, like others have done, it works. If it works on their website, it will work on the app. It also works me for with Sonos, has done for a while there.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Trying logging in several times, like others have done, it works. If it works on their website, it will work on the app. It also works me for with Sonos, has done for a while there.
I've now tried well over 20 times, even waited the magical hour between tries once. But it isn't happening. I now live in a part of the world where it is very late at night so I will try several more times tomorrow and see what happens. The SiriusXM Customer Service Rep was very adamant about it. According to him there is no way I'm going to be able to listen on my smartphone unless I pay the $4 per month. No wiggle room. No exceptions. No way.

But I will still try again tomorrow.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I've now tried well over 20 times, even waited the magical hour between tries once. But it isn't happening. I now live in a part of the world where it is very late at night so I will try several more times tomorrow and see what happens. The SiriusXM Customer Service Rep was very adamant about it. According to him there is no way I'm going to be able to listen on my smartphone unless I pay the $4 per month. No wiggle room. No exceptions. No way.

But I will still try again tomorrow.
Can you listen on the website?
Old 07-30-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

^ Yes, I listen online via the SiriusXM website every day. On my laptop. But that doesn't work on my smartphone.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
^ Yes, I listen online via the SiriusXM website every day. On my laptop. But that doesn't work on my smartphone.
This is strange then. As I can use both the app and website.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I just downloaded the SiriusXM app, logged in with my SiriusXM username/password, and success. First try. Perhaps you're using the wrong username? I used the exact same username that I use to log in to manage my account. I know in the past, there were separate account and online listening logins.

I'm very stoked, I've never ever had online listening before, ever.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post
I just downloaded the SiriusXM app, logged in with my SiriusXM username/password, and success. First try. Perhaps you're using the wrong username? I used the exact same username that I use to log in to manage my account. I know in the past, there were separate account and online listening logins.
Ok, it finally worked for me. However, in my case I had to enter my online listening username (which isn't the same as my Manage Accounts username) and my Manage Accounts password (which isn't the same as my online listening password)!

If this continues to work for us, it would be a big surprise to the SiriusXM Customer Service Team since the two I asked about it (I had to do a second online chat to recover my account number) were quite certain there was no way, no how an original or subsequent lifetime subscriber could listen to SiriusXM on a smartphone without paying the additional $4 per month. Enjoy it while it lasts, I suppose.

btw, I never mentioned where I heard the "rumor" that lifetime subscribers might now have access to smartphone listening without upgrading to a monthly fee account.

Last edited by hitchfan; 07-30-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:46 AM

I think this may be subscription age related.

Lifetime internet wasn't always offered and I think if you bought a lifetime sub after a certain date then the internet steaming (old or new) doesn't apply.

I say this because I have several lifetime subs and the earlier ones have the free streaming. The later ones do not - not even when I go down into the menus to the "Sweeten the deal" bit as mentioned in a post above. All of my later lifetime subscriptions show that it's $4/mo extra.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think this may be subscription age related.

Lifetime internet wasn't always offered and I think if you bought a lifetime sub after a certain date then the internet steaming (old or new) doesn't apply.
I never had internet, ever. (Subscriber since 8/09).

I now have internet/mobile streaming.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post
I never had internet, ever. (Subscriber since 8/09).

I now have internet/mobile streaming.
You may have had the option and just never set it up.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:59 AM

Great thread - I bought a Canadian lifetime in June 06 and I use to be able to listen online, but haven't been able to for the last couple of years. I can login to account details and they want me to subscribe for online streaming for $4/month. Should I have to pay this or should I get this free? Thanks!

Last edited by bmfinc; 08-02-2014 at 08:15 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 08-05-2014, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just bought a 2014 Malibu and my lifetime didn't transfer because I bought the lifetime on a JVC back in 05. I had the JVC radio from late 2003 until March of this year. I had 3 of the same JVC Satellite radio because the first 2 burnt out and quit working.