post #241 of 245 Old 08-05-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfinc View Post
Great thread - I bought a Canadian lifetime in June 06 and I use to be able to listen online, but haven't been able to for the last couple of years. I can login to account details and they want me to subscribe for online streaming for $4/month. Should I have to pay this or should I get this free? Thanks!
I would certainly not be the expert on this, and the Canadian Lifetimes might behave differently. Don't know. But the pertinent posts seem to begin with hooper610's Post #214 . It was trial and error for me. I had to create a Manage Accounts/webpage username and password. After all these years (since December 2007), I'd never set up a Manage Accounts/webpage username and password. Never needed one until now. I had set up an Online Listening username and password, but that isn't what made this latest development happen in my case.

In my case, it didn't work when I put into the smartphone app my Manage Account/webpage username and password. It also didn't work when I entered my Online Listening username and password. But it did work when I put in my Online Listening username and my Manage Account/webpage password. Go figure.

It also seems the SiriusXM Customer Reps are not on the same sheet of music about this new development. hooper610 reported, "Was chatting with the rep about the "free" internet radio account that came with lifetime subs not working on the mobile apps and he said that wasn't the case any longer." But my chat with two different SiriusXM Customer Service reps was the exact opposite. They both said no way, no how would anyone, original Lifetime subscribers or later Lifetime subscribers, be able to use the mobile app without paying $4 per month, end of story, don't even bother asking again. It really was that cut and dried.

It is still possible we have walked into a clever SiriusXM trap. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to discover in a couple of weeks that my free Online Listening access stops cold because there was some insidious communication sent to SiriusXM when I started using the free mobile app that triggers an end of my free Online Listening and then also stops the free mobile app use because, don'tcha' know, using the mobile app for so much as a single day qualifies as "changing your plan" and, oh by the way, my access to the mobile app for free was just the usual one or two week free trial everybody gets to see if you want to start ponying up the $4 per month. "Hey, didn't you read the teeny-tiny fine print we printed up on this issue about a year after you bought that Sirius Everything Lifetime Subscription?!"

Time will tell...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 245 Old 08-06-2014, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchfan View Post
But my chat with two different SiriusXM Customer Service reps was the exact opposite. They both said no way, no how would anyone, original Lifetime subscribers or later Lifetime subscribers, be able to use the mobile app without paying $4 per month, end of story, don't even bother asking again. It really was that cut and dried.
This statement is entirely incorrect for a small set of subscribers.

I subscribed a lifetime XM radio shortly before the merger and have had free lifetime premium online since the merger. My lifetime subscription has included access to the app (both Apple and Android) since the apps were released - I'm presuming this was because I have the premium online versus regular. The premium online was given to XM subscribers who complained after the merger that the bit-rate at the time (64k on XM) was dropped to 32k. After the merger, SiriusXM dropped the 64k stream and only offered 32k and 128k bit streams. The ads at the time for lifetime said there would be no change for the online radio for XM lifetime subscribers, so those who complained about the reduction to the 32k stream were moved to the 128k stream for lifetime (it was not automatic and only given to those who asked - a simple email did it). It's been a great deal because I use the app more than the radio these days (including the OnDemand features).
post #243 of 245 Old 08-08-2014, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gccjr View Post
This statement is entirely incorrect for a small set of subscribers.

I subscribed a lifetime XM radio shortly before the merger and have had free lifetime premium online since the merger. My lifetime subscription has included access to the app (both Apple and Android) since the apps were released - I'm presuming this was because I have the premium online versus regular. The premium online was given to XM subscribers who complained after the merger that the bit-rate at the time (64k on XM) was dropped to 32k. After the merger, SiriusXM dropped the 64k stream and only offered 32k and 128k bit streams. The ads at the time for lifetime said there would be no change for the online radio for XM lifetime subscribers, so those who complained about the reduction to the 32k stream were moved to the 128k stream for lifetime (it was not automatic and only given to those who asked - a simple email did it). It's been a great deal because I use the app more than the radio these days (including the OnDemand features).
Of course, you can only assume that all the people who had premium online vs regular and who complained and got the premium included have had access through the mobile app for free all this time. That would mean every subscriber who so much as made the call or sent an email got the ok and instructions on how to do it. Do you really think that is what XM or SiriusXM or whoever they were at the time did that? It seems to me a lot of this has been subject to the whim of the Customer Rep who happens to pick up the phone or read the email and your luck in hitting the right one at the right time in the right mood. And I don't know if the original Sirius subscribers (vs the XM subscribers) have had as much good fortune in this regard.

In fact, we had a couple of fellows posting on this thread for quite a while until relatively recently who are or were then SiriusXM Customer Reps (joeepistonee and another one literally claiming to be SXMHelp) and, afaik, they never mentioned this ability for SiriusXM Lifetime subscribers to listen through the mobile app for free. And that was quite a hot subject for a while. Unless I totally missed it, up until just the last couple of weeks or so, this is an entirely new development and rather big news for many of the Lifetimers here..isn't it? Did posters joeepistonee or SXMHelp ever mention it?

Last edited by hitchfan; 08-08-2014 at 04:26 AM.
post #244 of 245 Old 08-09-2014, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchfan View Post
Of course, you can only assume that all the people who had premium online vs regular and who complained and got the premium included have had access through the mobile app for free all this time. That would mean every subscriber who so much as made the call or sent an email got the ok and instructions on how to do it. Do you really think that is what XM or SiriusXM or whoever they were at the time did that? It seems to me a lot of this has been subject to the whim of the Customer Rep who happens to pick up the phone or read the email and your luck in hitting the right one at the right time in the right mood. And I don't know if the original Sirius subscribers (vs the XM subscribers) have had as much good fortune in this regard.

In fact, we had a couple of fellows posting on this thread for quite a while until relatively recently who are or were then SiriusXM Customer Reps (joeepistonee and another one literally claiming to be SXMHelp) and, afaik, they never mentioned this ability for SiriusXM Lifetime subscribers to listen through the mobile app for free. And that was quite a hot subject for a while. Unless I totally missed it, up until just the last couple of weeks or so, this is an entirely new development and rather big news for many of the Lifetimers here..isn't it? Did posters joeepistonee or SXMHelp ever mention it?
As a life time Sirius Subscriber from 2005/2006 I had the free online non-cd quality stream until they dropped it in 2009 and only offered the CD quality stream with a cost 3 bucks and some change. At that point I bought the CD quality stream. I still hang on to my current radio although it's nearly shot but I only have one more free upgrade left on my Satellite lifetime contract and I am saving that for my next car stereo. It seems XM internet subscribers before the merger got the better deal as they have received lifetime CD quality sound and don't have to pay for the app. If prior post are accurate. I listen far more on my App than the radio. As long as I have Wi-Fi or 3g/4g I'd listen to the app on the road if my current factory car stereo had an AUX in.
post #245 of 245 Old 08-10-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt.Atari View Post
As a life time Sirius Subscriber from 2005/2006 I had the free online non-cd quality stream until they dropped it in 2009 and only offered the CD quality stream with a cost 3 bucks and some change. At that point I bought the CD quality stream. I still hang on to my current radio although it's nearly shot but I only have one more free upgrade left on my Satellite lifetime contract and I am saving that for my next car stereo. It seems XM internet subscribers before the merger got the better deal as they have received lifetime CD quality sound and don't have to pay for the app. If prior post are accurate. I listen far more on my App than the radio. As long as I have Wi-Fi or 3g/4g I'd listen to the app on the road if my current factory car stereo had an AUX in.
Me too. I live way outside of the USA now, so have not used my radio in a long time and have only listened through the online webpage. But since I've had the mobile app, I have been listening through the mobile app on a Bluetooth-enabled audio system instead of through their online webpage. Almost everything about it is better, more fun. It is nice to again have access to the "free" online listening that I paid for back in December 2007 on any computer, even if that computer is small enough to fit in your jacket pocket!

Thanks to all who found out about this new development and passed along the info despite some SiriusXM Customer Reps' contradicting assertions about it.
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page