post #241 of 264 Old 08-05-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfinc View Post
Great thread - I bought a Canadian lifetime in June 06 and I use to be able to listen online, but haven't been able to for the last couple of years. I can login to account details and they want me to subscribe for online streaming for $4/month. Should I have to pay this or should I get this free? Thanks!
I would certainly not be the expert on this, and the Canadian Lifetimes might behave differently. Don't know. But the pertinent posts seem to begin with hooper610's Post #214 . It was trial and error for me. I had to create a Manage Accounts/webpage username and password. After all these years (since December 2007), I'd never set up a Manage Accounts/webpage username and password. Never needed one until now. I had set up an Online Listening username and password, but that isn't what made this latest development happen in my case.

In my case, it didn't work when I put into the smartphone app my Manage Account/webpage username and password. It also didn't work when I entered my Online Listening username and password. But it did work when I put in my Online Listening username and my Manage Account/webpage password. Go figure.

It also seems the SiriusXM Customer Reps are not on the same sheet of music about this new development. hooper610 reported, "Was chatting with the rep about the "free" internet radio account that came with lifetime subs not working on the mobile apps and he said that wasn't the case any longer." But my chat with two different SiriusXM Customer Service reps was the exact opposite. They both said no way, no how would anyone, original Lifetime subscribers or later Lifetime subscribers, be able to use the mobile app without paying $4 per month, end of story, don't even bother asking again. It really was that cut and dried.

It is still possible we have walked into a clever SiriusXM trap. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to discover in a couple of weeks that my free Online Listening access stops cold because there was some insidious communication sent to SiriusXM when I started using the free mobile app that triggers an end of my free Online Listening and then also stops the free mobile app use because, don'tcha' know, using the mobile app for so much as a single day qualifies as "changing your plan" and, oh by the way, my access to the mobile app for free was just the usual one or two week free trial everybody gets to see if you want to start ponying up the $4 per month. "Hey, didn't you read the teeny-tiny fine print we printed up on this issue about a year after you bought that Sirius Everything Lifetime Subscription?!"

Time will tell...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 264 Old 08-06-2014, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchfan View Post
But my chat with two different SiriusXM Customer Service reps was the exact opposite. They both said no way, no how would anyone, original Lifetime subscribers or later Lifetime subscribers, be able to use the mobile app without paying $4 per month, end of story, don't even bother asking again. It really was that cut and dried.
This statement is entirely incorrect for a small set of subscribers.

I subscribed a lifetime XM radio shortly before the merger and have had free lifetime premium online since the merger. My lifetime subscription has included access to the app (both Apple and Android) since the apps were released - I'm presuming this was because I have the premium online versus regular. The premium online was given to XM subscribers who complained after the merger that the bit-rate at the time (64k on XM) was dropped to 32k. After the merger, SiriusXM dropped the 64k stream and only offered 32k and 128k bit streams. The ads at the time for lifetime said there would be no change for the online radio for XM lifetime subscribers, so those who complained about the reduction to the 32k stream were moved to the 128k stream for lifetime (it was not automatic and only given to those who asked - a simple email did it). It's been a great deal because I use the app more than the radio these days (including the OnDemand features).
post #243 of 264 Old 08-08-2014, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gccjr View Post
This statement is entirely incorrect for a small set of subscribers.

I subscribed a lifetime XM radio shortly before the merger and have had free lifetime premium online since the merger. My lifetime subscription has included access to the app (both Apple and Android) since the apps were released - I'm presuming this was because I have the premium online versus regular. The premium online was given to XM subscribers who complained after the merger that the bit-rate at the time (64k on XM) was dropped to 32k. After the merger, SiriusXM dropped the 64k stream and only offered 32k and 128k bit streams. The ads at the time for lifetime said there would be no change for the online radio for XM lifetime subscribers, so those who complained about the reduction to the 32k stream were moved to the 128k stream for lifetime (it was not automatic and only given to those who asked - a simple email did it). It's been a great deal because I use the app more than the radio these days (including the OnDemand features).
Of course, you can only assume that all the people who had premium online vs regular and who complained and got the premium included have had access through the mobile app for free all this time. That would mean every subscriber who so much as made the call or sent an email got the ok and instructions on how to do it. Do you really think that is what XM or SiriusXM or whoever they were at the time did that? It seems to me a lot of this has been subject to the whim of the Customer Rep who happens to pick up the phone or read the email and your luck in hitting the right one at the right time in the right mood. And I don't know if the original Sirius subscribers (vs the XM subscribers) have had as much good fortune in this regard.

In fact, we had a couple of fellows posting on this thread for quite a while until relatively recently who are or were then SiriusXM Customer Reps (joeepistonee and another one literally claiming to be SXMHelp) and, afaik, they never mentioned this ability for SiriusXM Lifetime subscribers to listen through the mobile app for free. And that was quite a hot subject for a while. Unless I totally missed it, up until just the last couple of weeks or so, this is an entirely new development and rather big news for many of the Lifetimers here..isn't it? Did posters joeepistonee or SXMHelp ever mention it?

Last edited by hitchfan; 08-08-2014 at 05:26 AM.
post #244 of 264 Old 08-09-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Of course, you can only assume that all the people who had premium online vs regular and who complained and got the premium included have had access through the mobile app for free all this time. That would mean every subscriber who so much as made the call or sent an email got the ok and instructions on how to do it. Do you really think that is what XM or SiriusXM or whoever they were at the time did that? It seems to me a lot of this has been subject to the whim of the Customer Rep who happens to pick up the phone or read the email and your luck in hitting the right one at the right time in the right mood. And I don't know if the original Sirius subscribers (vs the XM subscribers) have had as much good fortune in this regard.

In fact, we had a couple of fellows posting on this thread for quite a while until relatively recently who are or were then SiriusXM Customer Reps (joeepistonee and another one literally claiming to be SXMHelp) and, afaik, they never mentioned this ability for SiriusXM Lifetime subscribers to listen through the mobile app for free. And that was quite a hot subject for a while. Unless I totally missed it, up until just the last couple of weeks or so, this is an entirely new development and rather big news for many of the Lifetimers here..isn't it? Did posters joeepistonee or SXMHelp ever mention it?
As a life time Sirius Subscriber from 2005/2006 I had the free online non-cd quality stream until they dropped it in 2009 and only offered the CD quality stream with a cost 3 bucks and some change. At that point I bought the CD quality stream. I still hang on to my current radio although it's nearly shot but I only have one more free upgrade left on my Satellite lifetime contract and I am saving that for my next car stereo. It seems XM internet subscribers before the merger got the better deal as they have received lifetime CD quality sound and don't have to pay for the app. If prior post are accurate. I listen far more on my App than the radio. As long as I have Wi-Fi or 3g/4g I'd listen to the app on the road if my current factory car stereo had an AUX in.
post #245 of 264 Old 08-10-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt.Atari View Post
As a life time Sirius Subscriber from 2005/2006 I had the free online non-cd quality stream until they dropped it in 2009 and only offered the CD quality stream with a cost 3 bucks and some change. At that point I bought the CD quality stream. I still hang on to my current radio although it's nearly shot but I only have one more free upgrade left on my Satellite lifetime contract and I am saving that for my next car stereo. It seems XM internet subscribers before the merger got the better deal as they have received lifetime CD quality sound and don't have to pay for the app. If prior post are accurate. I listen far more on my App than the radio. As long as I have Wi-Fi or 3g/4g I'd listen to the app on the road if my current factory car stereo had an AUX in.
Me too. I live way outside of the USA now, so have not used my radio in a long time and have only listened through the online webpage. But since I've had the mobile app, I have been listening through the mobile app on a Bluetooth-enabled audio system instead of through their online webpage. Almost everything about it is better, more fun. It is nice to again have access to the "free" online listening that I paid for back in December 2007 on any computer, even if that computer is small enough to fit in your jacket pocket!

Thanks to all who found out about this new development and passed along the info despite some SiriusXM Customer Reps' contradicting assertions about it.
post #246 of 264 Old 09-09-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by tentiontte View Post
The CS rep told me that they would not move Sirius LIfetimers to XM and will just give us some cheap portable radio to transfer to.
If they do this for the OEM radios, too, I'll be ok with that decision. They'll need to shut down Sirius eventually.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #247 of 264 Old 09-13-2014, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
I concur. I actually paid for (2) lifetime subs. The 1st back in 2004/2005 via XM radio. Then the 2nd around 2008/2009 after the SXM merger...
post #248 of 264 Old 10-07-2014, 02:02 AM

Can you Buy a used xm lifetime receiver and have it work

I am a long time XM subscriber but I won't pay full price and getting tired of trying to get a deal. I'm considering buying a used XM with a lifetime subscription.

Will the lifetime subscription transfer over to me?

How would I know other than take the word of the seller that it had a lifetime subscription.

If I called XM with the ID would they shut it off?

A while back I was considering doing this and the seller was afraid to give me the ID before I bought it for fear XM would shut it down if I called and asked about it. More than likely the seller would not be the original owner.

I know about the lifetime 3 transfer thing for $75 ea from one rec. to another but how would I know if there were any transfers left?
Thanks for the help

post #249 of 264 Old 10-08-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild wild west View Post
I am a long time XM subscriber but I won't pay full price and getting tired of trying to get a deal. I'm considering buying a used XM with a lifetime subscription.
Lifetime subscriptions are non-transferable; that being said, what they don't know won't hurt them.

To answer your question: If SiriusXM doesn't know that the original owner sold the radio to you, then they'll have no reason to shut it off. I would not call them and let them know. The nice thing about Lifetime is that there is no reason to have contact with the company, because the radios just work.

As far as transferring it to a new radio, good luck, I would not imagine that to be very successful.

I do know that you can often find radios on eBay with active lifetime subscriptions.

post #250 of 264 Old 10-10-2014, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just cancelled the SXM service once and for all on my two vehicles. I have been doing the 6 month for $25 thing for the last two years. And I am on bill only. But got sick and tired of having to call them 4 times/year for the deal (the cars have different expiration). If they can afford to dole out these discounts if you call, they should be able to afford to fix the price and put you on a 2 year contract or something for $100 + the taxes/fees (for the two years).

Guess I will just upgrade cars more often and get the 6 months or a year free promo, then trade the car when it ends...LOL J/K...

Main System: Denon AVR-4311ci; Emo XPA-5, Panasonic TC-P65ST50, Oppo BDP93, PS2&3, Wii, Sonos Connect, Mede8er, Roku 3
Ascend RAAL Towers, RAAL Horizon Center, Sierra 2's (surround), Def Tec SM350's (rear surrounds), 2 Rythmik F15's
2 other systems: 1 Onkyo, 1 Denon, Paradigm Studio V1 and V2 speakers, Panasonic Plasmas, etc.
post #251 of 264 Old 10-30-2014, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Do you other Sirius Lifetimers get channels 55 and 57? My OEM radio tuner box that I've been able to physically transfer from 3 Nissan vehicles since 2003 still works great, but I can't pick up Utopia or Y2Kountry. Looking over all of the documentation I should be able to, and I've tried a re-hit.
post #252 of 264 Old 11-03-2014, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRobX View Post
Do you other Sirius Lifetimers get channels 55 and 57? My OEM radio tuner box that I've been able to physically transfer from 3 Nissan vehicles since 2003 still works great, but I can't pick up Utopia or Y2Kountry. Looking over all of the documentation I should be able to, and I've tried a re-hit.
I checked yesterday and get both 55 and 57 on my Sirius radio.

Maybe you can try finding where the tuner is and pull the plug on it and give it a few minutes and then plug it back in with hopes of resetting it.
post #253 of 264 Old 11-03-2014, 07:29 PM
IRJ

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Am I correct in assuming that Sirius/XM no longer offer new or upgrades to Lifetime Subscriptions?

Ian
post #254 of 264 Old 11-06-2014, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
IRJ-

to my knowledge, there are no 'new' lifetime subscription(s).
post #255 of 264 Old 11-09-2014, 05:51 PM

Liked: 0
I have a Sirius under dash receiver (plugs into head unit) I bought on Ebay back in 2006, been working ever since.

Am looking to upgrade to new stereo and satt antenna for truck, have a couple of questions.

1 - Is it easy to transfer license to another satellite receiver, and is it just $75 to SiriusXM (to my knowledge, this would be first xfer as it initially came from a wrecked vehicle)
2 - Can I expect to get more stations, or am I still going to be limited since it was pre merger (I have most stations, but not all)
3 - I have currently SIR-PNR2 satt under dash, looking to upgrade to the Sirius SXV200v1 or SXV300 - Is the antenna going to top of truck, the same as the old model? (So I would not have to run that cable again, wondering if I can use the old one to connect to the new receiver)
4 - Is there any other complications that I need to know about before I pull the trigger on buying the new deck and siriusxm receiver?
post #256 of 264 Old 11-09-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxracer View Post
I have a Sirius under dash receiver (plugs into head unit) I bought on Ebay back in 2006, been working ever since.

Am looking to upgrade to new stereo and satt antenna for truck, have a couple of questions.

1 - Is it easy to transfer license to another satellite receiver, and is it just $75 to SiriusXM (to my knowledge, this would be first xfer as it initially came from a wrecked vehicle)
2 - Can I expect to get more stations, or am I still going to be limited since it was pre merger (I have most stations, but not all)
3 - I have currently SIR-PNR2 satt under dash, looking to upgrade to the Sirius SXV200v1 or SXV300 - Is the antenna going to top of truck, the same as the old model? (So I would not have to run that cable again, wondering if I can use the old one to connect to the new receiver)
4 - Is there any other complications that I need to know about before I pull the trigger on buying the new deck and siriusxm receiver?
Oh .. and 5

I bought this off Ebay back in 2006, not knowing it had a lifetime on it. (surprise surprise when I got it hooked up, and it worked)

So obviously, the license is not in my name, and I have never been registered user on SiriusXM, anywhere, not even on website. Is this going to be an issue with license transfer? Or if they ask should I just say I received it as a gift that year? Want to make sure I dont risk losing my service entirely, in which I would just keep using the old head unit and receiver.
post #257 of 264 Old 11-10-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxracer View Post
I bought this off Ebay back in 2006, not knowing it had a lifetime on it. (surprise surprise when I got it hooked up, and it worked)

So obviously, the license is not in my name, and I have never been registered user on SiriusXM, anywhere, not even on website. Is this going to be an issue with license transfer? Or if they ask should I just say I received it as a gift that year? Want to make sure I dont risk losing my service entirely, in which I would just keep using the old head unit and receiver.
Yeah, that's going to be a huge issue. There are two options, neither good:
1) The radio is lifetime in someone else's name, and it's non-transferrable, so alerting them to this fact will not end well.
2) The radio never had lifetime, but through a glitch has been receiving Sirius all this time (they have issues sometimes with revoking reception to units when service is cancelled), so alerting them to this fact will not end well.

Why can't you just move the receiver to a new head unit?

post #258 of 264 Old 11-10-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post
Yeah, that's going to be a huge issue. There are two options, neither good:
1) The radio is lifetime in someone else's name, and it's non-transferrable, so alerting them to this fact will not end well.
2) The radio never had lifetime, but through a glitch has been receiving Sirius all this time (they have issues sometimes with revoking reception to units when service is cancelled), so alerting them to this fact will not end well.

Why can't you just move the receiver to a new head unit?
The plugin is different now than it used to be. (its a blue to blue plug on satt unit, and pioneer deck). Plugs are now black, and different shape (confirmed this at store)

This unit updates every other week, so I think a deactivation code would have worked by now, in the last 7 years. (I emailed who I bought it from (wrecking yard) and guy said he thought it had lifetime on it as he had seen paperwork in the car).

Wonder if I just have stereo shop, do the transfer for me (activate the new radio).
post #259 of 264 Old 11-10-2014, 07:42 PM

This is the blue connection on old deck (DEH-3800MP)

This is the old satt receiver

This is the deck I want to buy - DEH-X6700BS (Photo of backside, which has the small siriusxm plugin, no blue connector)
post #260 of 264 Old 11-16-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
That blue connector on your old head unit is called IP-BUS. You'd probably be better off finding an IP-BUS compatible head unit, Pioneer still makes them.
post #261 of 264 Old 11-16-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRobX View Post
That blue connector on your old head unit is called IP-BUS. You'd probably be better off finding an IP-BUS compatible head unit, Pioneer still makes them.
Hmmm .. found IP-Bus to 3.5mm plug

That could work, assuming that I could still control the sirius unit. (and let me use the 3.5m input on most of the new decks.)
post #262 of 264 Old 12-14-2014, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe this has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but I wanted to offer a suggestion for anyone encountering problems logging in to your SiriusXM Internet Radio app. This morning I clicked on my SiriusXM app icon and, instead of connecting as usual, I got a pop up screen telling me either my username, password or both were incorrect and that I had to log in again. Typically, some combination of my online listening username or my Manage Accounts username along with either the online listening password or the Manage Accounts password does the trick. But not this time. I shut down my smartphone and restarted it, tried again, but still no good.

It was not recognizing any combination of my usernames or passwords and I kept getting another pop-up telling me I needed to contact SiriusXM Listener Care at their toll-free number, which I most definitely did not want to do.

What did fix the problem instead was going to the SiriusXM Internet Radio app entry in my phone's Applications Manager and clicking/clearing the cache. Then, when I went back to the SiriusXM app to log in, the username and password combination I had been using for a while worked fine again.

Just a heads up for anyone experiencing such a problem and before you make a potentially fateful call to SiriusXM Listener Care.
post #263 of 264 Old Yesterday, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Maybe this has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but I wanted to offer a suggestion for anyone encountering problems logging in to your SiriusXM Internet Radio app. This morning I clicked on my SiriusXM app icon and, instead of connecting as usual, I got a pop up screen telling me either my username, password or both were incorrect and that I had to log in again. Typically, some combination of my online listening username or my Manage Accounts username along with either the online listening password or the Manage Accounts password does the trick. But not this time. I shut down my smartphone and restarted it, tried again, but still no good.

It was not recognizing any combination of my usernames or passwords and I kept getting another pop-up telling me I needed to contact SiriusXM Listener Care at their toll-free number, which I most definitely did not want to do.

What did fix the problem instead was going to the SiriusXM Internet Radio app entry in my phone's Applications Manager and clicking/clearing the cache. Then, when I went back to the SiriusXM app to log in, the username and password combination I had been using for a while worked fine again.

Just a heads up for anyone experiencing such a problem and before you make a potentially fateful call to SiriusXM Listener Care.
This thread is awesome.

This community is awesome.

Woke up this AM to the same problem. This fixed it. Thanks so much!!
post #264 of 264 Unread Today, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

^ Glad it helped and at the right moment!

I got the same "incorrect username or password...log in again" pop-up this morning. But this time it accepted my usual log in information without hesitation. I suspect the fact that on this morning I had a VPN (proxy server app) activated on my phone, which I did not have on the previous occasion, had something to do with why the pop-up was triggered again, although I have no idea why that would matter. I only suspect it because it was the only thing different about this activation attempt. I'll see if it happens again tomorrow or the next day. Maybe this will now be a regular occurrence, don't know.

Actually, I have no idea what triggered the pop-up the first time yesterday or why clearing the cache on the app entry in the Application Manager fixed it. I just tried a few things until it accepted a username/password and that did it.
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page