AVS Forum banner

Sirius or XM. Sound Quality and Future Enhancments

134K views 322 replies 99 participants last post by  tveli 
#1 ·
Hello,

I currently listen to the Sirius via the OEM stereo in my car. I plan on replacing the OEM headunit in the near future and will have to buy a satellite radio receiver. I love the content on Sirius but like many others I am not satisfied with the sound quality.

I know that before the merger XM had marginally better SQ, is this still true? Also do modern receivers have better SQ than some of the original ones? The stereo in from 2003.

I have been reading rumors about some features of satellite radio 2.0 such as on-demand and a Pandora competitor. What satellite network will get these enhancements? What network will continue to receive new enhancements throughout the years? Is the content the same on both networks?

Lastly if I purchase a yearly subscription to sirius can it be transferred to XM when I change my system?

Thanks.

See less See more
#53 ·
I believe the radio is vbr and the algorithm gives higher rates to music and popular channels but I do not know much about the internet apps.

#55 ·
Sirius or the car?

#58 ·
I got a 2013 Ford Explorer to replace my 2003 Explorer. The new one has Sirius in the MyFordTouch screen system. I have never had Sirius before, but have multiple XM receivers; one in my old Explorer installed aftermarket along with the FM modulator. I've never been thrilled with the quality of the XM signal compared to CD or FM (not that I ever listen to FM). It sounds like a 60kbps MP3. But this Sirius system on the Ford is so bad if is nearly unlistenable (unless you are one of those kids who listen to songs extensively played through your cellphone speaker). The highs are brittle and thin and it sounds so downsampled.

I have the top of the line sound system on the new Ford, but no question that the aftermarket XM unit in my other Ford is definitely way better. I am ok listening to MP3s for convenience, but still buy CDs rather than MP3 downloads. But as another said; The quality is like comparing a 320kbps MP3 to AM radio. Perhaps it is the Sirius signal being so much worse than XM. I'm pretty pissed. I was really looking forward to a BETTER QUALITY signal with the new Ford... quite the opposite.

I won't continue the Sirius after the trial. Trying to push this sh#t out to customers, Sirius should be ashamed. Raise your finger high.

#60 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerandy  /t/1388846/sirius-or-xm-sound-quality-and-future-enhancments/30#post_22944233

Just blocked the third different harassment phone number from SiriusXM. They've called 4 times in the last 24 hours.
If you are on the Do Not Call List file a complaint for every call, they get fined and it will make you feel better. But you need to tell them to put them on their DNC list since you have/had a business relationship with them.

https://complaints.donotcall.gov/complaint/complaintcheck.aspx?panel=2

#62 ·
After all these years, I've finally had my first experience with satellite radio (in my car). I remember back when DirecTV switched from their former music provider to XM, and feeling that the audio quality went down, and I didn't really like their programming as well as their previous provider (forgot now who that was), at least for the channels I listen to. I just found out they had a "free preview"... stumbled upon the fact when I suddenly started getting traffic info in the navigation system in my car. So I tried the satellite channels, and sure enough they were on (or at least most of them). But wow, it really sounds bad. Really really bad. I normally capture streams off of internet radio stations (like 1mix radio, etn.fm, sonomafm, etc.) and put them on SD cards to play in the car. Those range anywhere from 128-320kbps, depending on the station, and generally sound very good. Satellite radio can't even compare. Even much worse than FM (not to mention HDRadio). I'm not even sure if my car has XM or Sirius hardware (it's an '11 Audi A4, FWIW).

I can't believe people pay for this. Seems to me they'd be better off if they could combine some of their content into fewer channels to allow for higher bandwidth to each channel. I'm sure some would complain about losing their favorite channel, but what good is your favorite music if it sounds bad? I would consider paying for the traffic data, but the audio channels are just horrible.

#63 ·
In my car Sirius sounds better than FM. BTW the bitrate varies by channel - higher for music and more popular channels.

#65 ·
My dealer's radio tech (Ford Dealer) will replace my complete radion system, stil under warranty. This was offered to me, no argument from me or the dealer. They would not elaborate as to what the new radio system will do to eliminate the problem with the poor sound quality of my Sirrius radio in my 2010 GT Mustang.

I will post my results to you after I check out my new system.

#67 ·
When I purcahsed my Mustang, the sound quality from Sirrius radio was excellent. I understand Sirrius made changes to their sateliite. I have XM radio in my '07 Buick and it is excellent ever since I purchased the car.

I have nothing to lose by having a new system/radio installed in my Mustang. If it does not solve the problem, I will cancel my Sirrius subscription.

#68 ·
I cannot see anyone being happy with sirius xm quality at least what I get in Saskatchewan Canada. I read a description of phase distortion and that describes it. I listened to a distorted song directly from the xm receiver on high quality headset - the same distortion was there. I happened to have the same song on MP3, sounds fine on the headset and over the system. I sent requests for help to sirius XM to which I received a promise that someone would call - they did not!! I would switch to a high quality provider in a second if I had that option ( would miss BB kings bluesville though).

#69 ·
The sound quality was pretty good about 7ish years ago. The playlists were pretty good, too. They actually tried to focus on it.

Then some marketing guys decided more was better and they kept cramming new stations onto the satellites until we ended up with the muck that it is today.

The thing is: I can understand cable or satellite (TV) adding new channels. There's always some channel someone is screaming for. With satellite radio, who's screaming for any channel? There's 20ish rock channels.Yes, there are different subsets of rock but you could easily squeeze that down into just a few channels. There's no on clamoring for the a new modern Reggae (or whatever) channel. You could easily cut back on what they have now and no one would notice. Most people don't even know how many channels they have. They'd probably guess over 100 but they wouldn't know beyond that so it's not like that magic high number is pulling people in. They've added 20 or so channels when they released the Lynx (SiriusXM 2.0) but who cares. What channel is in that new set that anyone say, "You know, I can't live without it." (or more importantly, I wouldn't pay the subscription without it).

Still, more and more channels are added and we end up with a sub-par listening experience. I'm not even audiophile guy and I think it's sub-par. I don't need CD quality but I'd like a decent MP3 quality sound.

I have lifetime so I use it. I like it for the mere fact that I can drive from city to city and still stay on the same station and listen to it without hunting for another local station like we used to do. I can't say I'd recommend it to friends or family (especially now that lifetime subs are gone) nor would I pay some monthly fee of $20ish for it.

#70 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Bishop  /t/1388846/sirius-or-xm-sound-quality-and-future-enhancments/60#post_23019179

You could easily cut back on what they have now and no one would notice.

Marketing research and experience does not back you up. Most people lean to more channels than quality. Same for TV.

Reactions: kkirsche
#71 ·
I've had 2 Infiniti's with XM and the sound quality was really good. I had no complaints whatsoever. I just traded off my Infiniti G37 and got a VW Jetta that came with a Sirius Sat tuner. When I activated the new radio I was horrified by the sound quality. I thought the Jetta sound system must be crap, but when I double check the FM sound quality, it sounds ok. Not nearly the quality of the Bose stereo in the G37, but good enough to listen too. What is up with Sirius? I just renewed for a year and after reading the posts in this forum, I'm seriously considering cancelling. I thought maybe there was something I could do to improve the sound, but now I'm not so sure. I'm terribly disapointed!

#72 ·
Mine sounds as good or better than FM in a Mercury.

#73 ·
I know this is a stale feed but - I like the XM content and also don't like the sound quality. I have the iPhone app subscription for SiriusXM and I think the sound quality is better. I just plug the phone in to my head unit via USB and it works very well. You do need a good data plan. We have several cars so this avoids a subscription for each car - just about $3/ month for the iPhone after the first car.

I also have an Airport express and Apple TV connected to my home sound system and this gets me XM there as well.

It has been a good solution for me.

#74 ·
wow.. thought I was crazy! I was an early adopter, had it since 2001. We (wife and I) have always loved XM. Have it in the car and truck (pioneer and delco/bose). Now I have a new Jeep and have a Sirius receiver. The first thing I noticed was the horrible compression! I thought maybe it was my Jeep, but this weekend, I spent some time with family and rode in my dad's Ram and mom's Kia.. both have factory Sirius and both sounded horribly compressed. I guess I won't be adding a 3rd vehicle to my sub when the 12 mos trial is up. Too bad because I really wanted NFL/NASCAR

#76 ·
Guys, first of all - thank you for this thread and taking the time to write some observations. I never write myself and feel guilty, so this time, having come out of my ordeal with FREE 2nd Day UPS SiriusXM Edge unit with car and vehicle kits to replace my Sirius Sportster 4, I have myself several observations:

1. Sirius is being phased out and will be gone by 2015. They are squeezing it out of the pipeline and the tech department at SiriusXM Corp is very aware of that. This is a done deal. Sirius platform is over. Whatever new Sirius unit you buy - it'll have only old technology and bad codec sound.

2. XM is being replaced with SiriusXM but on XM platform. Thus, everyone with XM is cool. SiriusXM is slightly better for extra channels. Sound difference is immediately better on XM or SiriusXM from Sirius units.

3. Be nice when contacting Sirius, and they WILL HELP. They do want to keep you as a customer - $15 a month is a very solid revenue. They'll go out of their way to ensure the next $45 billing takes place. Don't use them because of this, but work with them. Their email and FB page respond within minutes/hours. I found them to have and conduct excellent communication, and whoever has bad experience probably has bad attitude to begin with. Being nice goes a long way.

My story: after reading this forum, I just wrote a short, polite, well-substantiated email of frustration to their generic support how Sirius sound quality sucks and has gotten worse and I love the service, but consider to quit it and have issues recommending the company to my friends, since the quality sucks. They emailed and CALLED me NEXT DAY! A wonderful lady from NY gave me a day to research new XM units (she warned me that it'll be a "like new" refurbished unit), pick one (I didn't go for Lynx as I don't need the touch screen and felt unethical pushing for the most expensive item for free). I asked for Edge. She said - yes, will send it with a car kit. I said I'll need a house kit too and would love to buy a refurbished discounted one. She said no worries. 48 hours later, for free, at my door were two boxes - with both kits and the Edge in them! The service swap took about 3 minutes over the phone and was free as well. That's it! I have new Edge with both kits for free, switched over for free, and am a forever happy customer, recommending the company left and right. Customer experience of the decade for me, hands down!

4. Mounting in cars: GUYS, c'mon - be creative. Here's what I've been doing for years (and that's also why I didn't want Lynx). Buy industrial velcro by Velcro or 3M. Attached the soft side to any flat surface in your car; stick the studded velcro to the bottom of the car dock. Voila! I even travel with a soft velcro - stick it on in friends' and rental cars, and later when it's time to give the car back - just wipe with water or alcohol - and it leaves no marks and no damage. Industrial velcro keeps the unit very secure and even has enough strength and resistance for me to push all the buttons. Five years of velcro mountain and going. Zero footprint, zero damage to the car, super neat and looks great. Lynx's car dock doesn't have a flat bottom - thus I ruled it out right away.

5. Also, Edge seems to be an easier unit to control via simple genre buttons and a nob. Lynx is a beautiful, great unit - so if you're stuck in between and don't care about physical buttons and flat car dock surface - get it. I played with Lynx at Best Buy - it is amazing. No bugs, no nothing. One of top tech products out there. Maybe in a new car I'll consider Lynx a year or two from now. Edge works very nicely too. Sound is definitely not CD quality, but is "good enough" (I produce music and have JBL towers, Tascam monitors, 12 gage wiring, etc. at home, so very picky - Edge sounds good enough for me, GREAT to everyone else).

6. Sirius antennas work great with XM units. I didn't have to rewire my home or car - and both have 100% reception via very old Sirius antennas on the new SIriusXM Edge unit. That's it!

So, the bottom lines:

- XM is better sound than Sirius

- Sirius bye bye by 2015, XM here to stay

- SiriusXM Inc. knows about it and works with customer on it

- be nice, polite, professional when communicating with them, use their FB page for answer within minutes

- Velcro is the best mountain option!

Good luck!

Yuri

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.