Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 160 Old 02-22-2014, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfm View Post

Simply baffled by all of these "sounds good" comments in reference to Sirius... I have an upgraded sound system in my '13 Audi which is only ok (sorry but IMO there is no such thing as a good sound system in a car) and mp3's from an ipod/memory card or a good FM station sound significantly better than the crap from Sirius. Needless to say (though I will) I did not renew Sirius once the "free" subscription expired.
Same situation here. I have a 2013 Audi. Sirius XM is far worse sounding than my iPhone (bluetooth and hard wired), HD FM radio, and my SD memory card. It's not even in the same league as standard FM radio. It sounds muddled and lacks detail. They keep sending me promotions to reactivate my account for $25 (for 6 months of service), but it just isn't worth $5/mon to me. I get aggravated with anything other than talk radio programs on Sirius XM.

Hello World!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 160 Old 02-25-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Yes they need a trip to the Bandwidth 'R Us store.

Sums it all up right there... I'll give 'em $5 a month for it. That's about it.

Shahram

Are you capable of independent thought, or do you need the government and mass media to do that for you?

Xbox Live Gamertag: Shahraminator
post #153 of 160 Old 02-27-2014, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Once again, they're not able to just buy more bandwidth. There is only a certain amount of bandwidth allocated for satellite radio in the US, and Sirius and XM already have all of it. They need to better utilize the bandwidth that they have by shutting down Sirius. They were supposedly going to do this, but nothing much has happened.

http://xmfan.net/viewtopic.php?t=115557&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
post #154 of 160 Old 02-27-2014, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post

Once again, they're not able to just buy more bandwidth. There is only a certain amount of bandwidth allocated for satellite radio in the US, and Sirius and XM already have all of it. They need to better utilize the bandwidth that they have by shutting down Sirius. They were supposedly going to do this, but nothing much has happened.

http://xmfan.net/viewtopic.php?t=115557&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

If I read that thread correctly, they were discussing shutting down Sirius TERRESTRIAL. Not the satellite. Couldn't do that, anyway, without losing half of the subscriber base. I don't see them replacing every existing Sirius radio. Sirius radios will not tune XM. The two transmission formats are incompatible. And shutting off around half of the satellite radios would pretty much bankrupt the company.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #155 of 160 Old 02-27-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

If I read that thread correctly, they were discussing shutting down Sirius TERRESTRIAL. Not the satellite. Couldn't do that, anyway, without losing half of the subscriber base. I don't see them replacing every existing Sirius radio. Sirius radios will not tune XM. The two transmission formats are incompatible. And shutting off around half of the satellite radios would pretty much bankrupt the company.

If you look at the 2015 Goal at the bottom, you'll see that the "Sirius Platform" is phased out and "Sirius 1.0 Tuners No Longer Compatible" (which refers to all Sirius radios). You're absolutely right that they would have to replace every existing Sirius radio, which is why they probably aren't going to do this anytime soon. They're still selling Sirius radios and putting them in cars today! But in the context of getting more bandwidth, this is pretty much the only feasible option outside of acquiring and getting approval for more bandwidth elsewhere and making new radios anyway.
post #156 of 160 Old 02-27-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 86
With a given amount of bandwidth better channel quality can be achieved with less channels. Marketing people have known for a long time (just as for TV broadcast) that people prefer more channel choices to channel quality. as unpopular as that may be on this forum.
post #157 of 160 Old 02-27-2014, 05:00 PM

Yeah, XM launched with only 100 channels and they sounded great! I doubt they're gonna axe channels though frown.gif. During last baseball season (I think) they had to switch some of the music channels to mono temporarily cause they were out of bandwidth.
post #158 of 160 Old 02-28-2014, 02:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If I remember correctly, the shutdown of the Sirius side turned out to be more rumor than fact, granted, a widely spread rumor that I believed at the time as did plenty of others.

They are letting the Sirius satellites finish up their service and not replacing them in their polar orbits. All of the new sats are going to be geosynchronous which I think is unfortunate. I'd have much preferred that they keep both because geosynchronous works well for home receivers while the polar orbit works really well for mobile receivers.

They could, theoretically, double their bandwidth by replacing all of the Sirius radios with new radios that receive from both spectrums (XM & Sirius) and then just transmit XM on the normal XM spectrum and something like "XM+" on the old Sirius spectrum (same codec as XM - just on the old Sirius Spectrum). Then they could offer new radios that could see both Spectrums, understand that some channels come from "XM" and others come from "Sirius" and use the same codec for both.

I don't see them doing that.

As it is, and I think someone mentioned this above, you're still seeing Sirius tuners in new cars. You can still buy Sirius PNP units at the stores (somewhere in the back in the clearance section next to the XM radios - it's funny how they're no longer front and center).

My guess is that they'll just keep the status quo for the foreseeable future. They have their subscribers. They'll just (mostly) simulcast across the two spectrums.
post #159 of 160 Old 04-09-2014, 11:50 AM

Liked: 10
Hey Everyone - back to my BMW 428 XM vs Sirius thread (see previous posts) - I got the new car two weeks ago - and what do you know? The sound is day and night. Again - it is not CD quality clearly, but it's incomparably better now than it was. To remind all: originally the car was shipped without Nav/technology package and had a standalone Sirius unit installed which sounded like **** on 16 Harmon Kardon speakers. The new car has the navigation (and the technology package) and SiriusXM sounds MUCH better now. The issue: in BMWs - if you get the navigation - sat radio is just a circuit board within the head unit (vs. if you don't get the nav - it's a standalone sirius device). Apparently - that unintuitive thing makes a huge difference in sound. I know that Gary J and others wanted the follow - so here it is! smile.gif
post #160 of 160 Old 04-09-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamchur View Post

Hey Everyone - back to my BMW 428 XM vs Sirius thread (see previous posts) - I got the new car two weeks ago - and what do you know? The sound is day and night. Again - it is not CD quality clearly, but it's incomparably better now than it was. To remind all: originally the car was shipped without Nav/technology package and had a standalone Sirius unit installed which sounded like **** on 16 Harmon Kardon speakers. The new car has the navigation (and the technology package) and SiriusXM sounds MUCH better now. The issue: in BMWs - if you get the navigation - sat radio is just a circuit board within the head unit (vs. if you don't get the nav - it's a standalone sirius device). Apparently - that unintuitive thing makes a huge difference in sound. I know that Gary J and others wanted the follow - so here it is! smile.gif

Thanks for the follow up. Hopefully you can find that Bimmerfest thread also. It all goes to show Sirius sound quality can be quite good but it can depend on a few different things. Some you would not even figure on.
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List