Sirius or XM. Sound Quality and Future Enhancments - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #241 of 254 Old 07-20-2017, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
What a ridiculous thing to say. Yeah my HT does sound better. I think we're done here.
Yeah. Gary J, were done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 254 Old 07-20-2017, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I know they are hunting for subs. They called me everyday for months trying to get me to sign up when the freebie sub ran out in my car. I never even used the free sub, why pay?

I was a loyal XM customer back in their golden era, signed up in the end of 2003. I remember the transition to commercial free, and the sound quality. I had it in the car, fed to a Pioneer deck, couple 10" subs, and JBL 6x9's. Better than most car stereos were.

Anyway back then the audio was touted as CD quality, and it was close, there were better dynamic on the CD, but their content sounded great. It sounded great until they started cramming garbage onto their whopping 12.5mhz of bandwidth. I didn't want MLB, traffic, weather, or any other bloated crap. If anyone remembers the selling point was that they were not your local station, they were about the music. I remember no DJ's, just a ton of diverse content. That lasted for a few years and it was all downhill from there. The audio quality nowadays is nothing compared to their heyday.

Now the quality has decreased, and many stations are top 40 crap, DJ noise, and a useless bunch of channels I don't want.

No Thanks!
AVfile and JA Fant like this.
post #243 of 254 Old 07-20-2017, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjohnson1717 View Post
I didn't want MLB, traffic, weather, or any other bloated crap.

Personal preference is ALWAYS a losing argument. Always. Marketing surveys always show people want more channels over anything else. Marketing execs know that. Same with TV.

Quote:
Now the quality has decreased
Nothing but opinion you can't back up.

post #244 of 254 Old 07-20-2017, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I was a loyal XM customer back in their golden era, signed up in the end of 2003. I remember the transition to commercial free, and the sound quality. I had it in the car, fed to a Pioneer deck, couple 10" subs, and JBL 6x9's. Better than most car stereos were.

Anyway back then the audio was touted as CD quality, and it was close, there were better dynamic on the CD, but their content sounded great. It sounded great until they started cramming garbage onto their whopping 12.5mhz of bandwidth. I didn't want MLB, traffic, weather, or any other bloated crap. If anyone remembers the selling point was that they were not your local station, they were about the music. I remember no DJ's, just a ton of diverse content. That lasted for a few years and it was all downhill from there. The audio quality nowadays is nothing compared to their heyday.

Now the quality has decreased, and many stations are top 40 crap, DJ noise, and a useless bunch of channels I don't want.

No Thanks!
Yeah I definitely agree, timjohnson1717. I might still be listening but the audio quality was way worse on my Sirius receiver (2012) than it was on my much older XM receivers -- even BBC World Service was barely tolerable with all the compression artifacts. IIRC the discussion at the time was that Sirius was allocating less bandwidth per channel in order to cram more channels into their signal. Haven't followed their tech since I left. Much better mobile listening alternatives nowadays.
post #245 of 254 Old 07-21-2017, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I know they are hunting for subs. They called me everyday for months trying to get me to sign up when the freebie sub ran out in my car. I never even used the free sub, why pay?

No Thanks!
I remember those days.

I remember when they (I think it was Sirius, at the time - I've had both since 2006 or so) started in with the DJs and I looked at the stereo in the car and thought, "What the F- is this?"

Then there was that period, around 2008 or 2009 where they started advertising on their ad-free music channels... but it wasn't advertising because it was for Sirius/XM (to get you to buy another tuner or something - it was advertising).

I have a few lifetime subs that I still listen to in my car but, you're right, the sound quality isn't what it was back in the day. It feels more like having a transistor radio lying around that still works and you use it in the garage.

They went from something I used to highly tout to something I rarely talk about. I certainly don't recommend it to friends. No one I knows talks about them.

If you deal with customer service it's always some kind of game.

They should have never been allowed to join (Sirius & XM) and they've ruined something that really started out as pretty great. Even with them joining they're just making that worse:
- They're letting Sirius satellite (polar orbit - great for vehicles) die out
- We're nearly 10 years out from the merger and the extra bandwidth is still duplicated signals.

The way that they treat the satellite side makes me think that they see the writing on the wall and in 10 years no one will use satellite and everyone will just stream everything (and then they're going to be the AM/FM like stations they were meant to replace in the public's eye - kind of already there, now).
post #246 of 254 Old 07-21-2017, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Personal preference is ALWAYS a losing argument. Always. Marketing surveys always show people want more channels over anything else. Marketing execs know that. Same with TV.
Are you familiar with the paradox of choice? Recent studies have shown that a product with many options will attract more customers, however a product with fewer options will actually make customer commit and purchase. In addition those who purchase when given many choices are usually less satisfied with their purchase.

More ≠ Better

Quote:
Nothing but opinion you can't back up.
XM satellite radio is allocated 12.5 MHz from 2332.5-2345 MHz. That is all they have ever had to work with. Simple math dictates that the more channels I offer in that same frequency range, the less available bandwidth I have to drive those channels. My ears noticed a difference, that is subjective, I understand. However the bandwidth limits are fact. Could they have changed the codec for broadcasting, sure. However the old radios from ten years ago still work, so if they change codecs for broadcast I do not believe that would be possible, hence I doubt the compression algorithms have changed much if at all. Working under that premise, adding stations must cause reduction in quality if utilizing all bandwidth available.

In addition do a search for satellite radio quality, I found lots more negative than positive.
post #247 of 254 Old 07-22-2017, 03:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Are you familiar with the paradox of choice? Recent studies have shown that a product with many options will attract more customers, however a product with fewer options will actually make customer commit and purchase. In addition those who purchase when given many choices are usually less satisfied with their purchase.

More ≠ Better

XM satellite radio is allocated 12.5 MHz from 2332.5-2345 MHz. That is all they have ever had to work with. Simple math dictates that the more channels I offer in that same frequency range, the less available bandwidth I have to drive those channels. My ears noticed a difference, that is subjective, I understand. However the bandwidth limits are fact. Could they have changed the codec for broadcasting, sure. However the old radios from ten years ago still work, so if they change codecs for broadcast I do not believe that would be possible, hence I doubt the compression algorithms have changed much if at all. Working under that premise, adding stations must cause reduction in quality if utilizing all bandwidth available.

In addition do a search for satellite radio quality, I found lots more negative than positive.
learn about about VBR and compression algorithms that improve constantly. Skipped th rest - you don't get to waste my time.
JA Fant likes this.
post #248 of 254 Old 07-22-2017, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 2797
I don't buy the argument about bandwidth because Sirius streamed also has the same terrible sounding compression

I really like the addition of the Beatles channel: in the car it sounds good: in my HT Sirius sounds really bad: it has that metallic sound quality that I can instantly recognize: compare it to a service like Tidal...no comparison

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess this is a red flag issue
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Test Reports HDMI Cables that support 18GBPS&HDMI 2.0b
post #249 of 254 Old 07-22-2017, 04:19 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I listen to Radio Margaritaville in my various vehicles via either XM or Sirius.

I also listen to it via Jimmy's website at home over my computer audio set up to my two channel system.

XM and Sirius suck just when compared to my external speakers and set up on my Imac
JA Fant likes this.
post #250 of 254 Old 07-23-2017, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Sirius or XM. Sound Quality and Future Enhancments

Bad link

Last edited by timmo; 07-23-2017 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Bad link
post #251 of 254 Old 07-23-2017, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Sirius or XM. Sound Quality and Future Enhancments

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...0%99t-buy-benz

Sorry ... can't figure out how to link. Here is google search result for what I'm trying to post:

Why I Didn't Buy the Benz | Sound & Vision
Sound & Vision › content
5 days ago - The companies merged in 2008 to become SiriusXM. Here's the rub: Both satellite systems are still in use, and depending on which decoder your car radio uses, you might get the good-sounding XM bitstream, or the ...
markrubin and JA Fant like this.
post #252 of 254 Old 07-30-2017, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:

More ≠ Better

something has changed for sure. We all know that there are more sat(s) in orbit than ever before. Drones as well. Maybe this has an adverse effect?
I noticed that the current programming has way more drop-outs than previously? My first subscription occurred in 2005, I bought the "lifetime " membership. No problem.

Then, as XM radio/Sirius merged due to both camps capitalizing on the Howard Stern crap, I paid a second "lifetime " membership in 2008. Problem -as customer service could not see any pre-merger data?

From 2008 to the present, SXM , as it now referred still cannot see my old accounts? I do enjoy this sat radio thing for sure. I will not pay any more money as above. I simply catch the programming upon buying a newer vehicle (every 2-3 years).
post #253 of 254 Old 08-20-2017, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I had XM in a long ago sold car. I really loved the service but then I started getting more and more drop outs in the same places with nothing to block the signal. I was given the blow off by their tech dept. so I dumped the service.
I bought a Dodge Challenger last year that is at the end of the 1 year free service. The drop outs and now large holes in service are even worse than when it was just XM. I drive 75 miles round trip through L.A. -All freeway driving where you would think there would be a good consistent signal. The biggest holes in service are in areas where there are no tall buildings or overpasses. I have noticed I lose signal where there are clusters of cell antennas and think it's interference from cell transmission that is at least part of the problem.
My service is ending soon so I will not be renewing it. Too bad as they do have some great programming (except for the commercials on more stations) and I do really like the real time traffic map on my nav.
JA Fant likes this.
post #254 of 254 Old 08-28-2017, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Yes! many dropouts in service and coverage in 2017.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page