XM Onyx AC adapter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-03-2012, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for a way to run my Onyx in the house. Well, a cheaper way than spending 50 bucks on the home radio kit, since I wouldn't be using it in the house very often but I'd still like that option. I've already got a second antenna, so I can leave the original on the car. I've seen Onyx AC adapters, but it look like they all plug into the home dock and not directly to the radio.

Is there an AC adapter that will do this? Are there other options or work-arounds out there (5v phone chargers, video game chargers, etc?) Does the Onyx use a standard type of jack/plug or is it proprietary?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-08-2012, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I also have the Onyx unit in my car, and wanted to do the same. its all 5 Volt the thing is, is the dock. if your not picky about what the looks may be on the outcome just do what I done and buy this.. or you may be able to go to a local car audio shop and pick one up.. it wont let me post links yet since this only makes my 2nd post. heres the ebay item number

i took this apart, removed the internals and the only thing the *back* is that holds the xm unit is a big piece of metal (why its so heavy) I took a die-grinder sawed that part off and sanded it smooth and the XM unit docked great with it just no back support. and then just buy a regular XM AC plug ebay number

then just hooked it up regular to my home stereo. using a male/male stereo plug. here is two things and one will get you sound heres the ebay numbers again. as your stereo/receiver should have one of these inputs.

hope this helps.. like i said its not *clean* but after you spray paint the plastic and what not it cleans up ok and when the unit is in the dock it hides the back anyways.
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page