Sirius and NFL play-by-play - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Gaming & Content Streaming > XM and Sirius Satellite Radio > Sirius and NFL play-by-play

XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

Jestered's Avatar Jestered
09:49 PM Liked: 38
post #1 of 11
07-19-2013 | Posts: 509
I'm getting my Sirius tuner on Monday and am trying to figure out the subscription packages and need some help from you all that have this stuff already. My tuner is a tuner box that connects to my factory radio in my car. I was looking at the packages for Sirius and see that the NFL play-by-play is included with the premier package, so that's what I intended to get. The Sirius website says it's "online only" though. That didn't make sense how it could be part of the subscription package if it was online only. I sent an email to them and they said it was part of the package AND if I paid an extra $3.50 a month I could ALSO listen to the play-by-play online. That contradicted what it said online, so I initiated an online chat with Sirius. I got absolutely no help there. I felt like the guy simply wanted to get rid of me and just told me whatever I wanted to hear. First he said it came with the package, but when I told him it said "online only" on their website, then he said that I had to have the online add-on. When I asked why it came with the package and I could add the online add-on to get it through my computer and smartphone, then he said it was not online only. So, then I called and talked to a rep and they told me that you can only listen online and not through the car unless I had their internet enabled radio and continued to try to sell it to me. Blah!

Can anyone tell me if I get the package that has the NFL play-by-play included, and do not get the online add-on, which I don't need or want, can I listen to NFL games in my car, or do I have to have a computer or smartphone with the online add-on to do so?
machpost's Avatar machpost
09:48 AM Liked: 12
post #2 of 11
07-20-2013 | Posts: 781
With the package you've subscribed to, you should be able to get NFL games in your car with no problem. In fact, you don't need the Premier package on a Sirius radio to get NFL. Just Sirius Select.
STEELERSRULE's Avatar STEELERSRULE
09:35 PM Liked: 16
post #3 of 11
07-22-2013 | Posts: 2,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestered View Post

I'm getting my Sirius tuner on Monday and am trying to figure out the subscription packages and need some help from you all that have this stuff already. My tuner is a tuner box that connects to my factory radio in my car. I was looking at the packages for Sirius and see that the NFL play-by-play is included with the premier package, so that's what I intended to get. The Sirius website says it's "online only" though. That didn't make sense how it could be part of the subscription package if it was online only. I sent an email to them and they said it was part of the package AND if I paid an extra $3.50 a month I could ALSO listen to the play-by-play online. That contradicted what it said online, so I initiated an online chat with Sirius. I got absolutely no help there. I felt like the guy simply wanted to get rid of me and just told me whatever I wanted to hear. First he said it came with the package, but when I told him it said "online only" on their website, then he said that I had to have the online add-on. When I asked why it came with the package and I could add the online add-on to get it through my computer and smartphone, then he said it was not online only. So, then I called and talked to a rep and they told me that you can only listen online and not through the car unless I had their internet enabled radio and continued to try to sell it to me. Blah!

Can anyone tell me if I get the package that has the NFL play-by-play included, and do not get the online add-on, which I don't need or want, can I listen to NFL games in my car, or do I have to have a computer or smartphone with the online add-on to do so?

SIRIUS SELECT is all you need. That is all the Sirius channels, which includes the NFL Games.
07:06 AM Liked: 38
post #4 of 11
07-23-2013 | Posts: 509
Thanks for the replies! I'm still confused and hope I get the NFL play-by-play channels, but guess I'll have to wait until the season to find out for sure. Last week when I checked the packages, it showed NFL was included in both the Sirius Select and Premier packages. I checked the Sirius site again a few days ago and it says it is not included with the Select package any more. It shows you do get it with the Premier package, but "Online Only". I went ahead and got the tuner installed yesterday and started my 3 mo. free trial. I got the Premier package and was told that the NFL play-by-play was included and that I didn't need anything special to listen in the car. It still says "Online Only" though on their site. No one at Sirius ever gives me the same answer, so I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Does anyone know if the preseason games are usually included in the play-by-play games, or is that only for regular season? I know my Sunday Ticket through DTV does not have preseason games, so I'm not sure if Sirius does or not.
10:29 AM Liked: 16
post #5 of 11
07-23-2013 | Posts: 2,864
I do not know what you are reading JESTERED, but Sirius SELECT is ALL of the Sirius channels, and NO XM channels included. That would be called Sirius Premier.

It says right here on this page, that ALL NFL GAMES ARE INCLUDED on Sirius Select:

http://www.siriusxm.com/ourmostpopularpackages-sirius

I do not know about the preseason games. Cannot remember if they are available LIVE or not.
I WANT MORE's Avatar I WANT MORE
06:25 AM Liked: 69
post #6 of 11
07-24-2013 | Posts: 1,868
I am pretty sure that all of the preseason games are available.
11:02 AM Liked: 38
post #7 of 11
07-24-2013 | Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

I do not know what you are reading JESTERED, but Sirius SELECT is ALL of the Sirius channels, and NO XM channels included. That would be called Sirius Premier.

It says right here on this page, that ALL NFL GAMES ARE INCLUDED on Sirius Select:

http://www.siriusxm.com/ourmostpopularpackages-sirius

I do not know about the preseason games. Cannot remember if they are available LIVE or not.

If you click on "Learn More" for the Select package you'll see that it says NFL play-by-play is not included in that package. They have the NFL logo for the sports items, but if you hover over that logo it will say "Not available with this package".

It also does not mention it in the description for the included sports items for the Select package.
10:21 PM Liked: 16
post #8 of 11
07-25-2013 | Posts: 2,864
JESTERED,

JUST STOP!!!!! YOU MUST TRUST ME!!!

Now, the above you pasted is the listing for XM SELECT CUSTOMERS. That is for people who have XM RADIO"S in their cars/homes/etc.... Radios made by XM.

When the two companies merged into SIRIUSXM, they still have kept SEPARATE CHANNEL LINEUPS that EACH company had before the Merger. There are only, maybe, 2 SIRIUSXM Radios out there that receive BOTH CHANNEL LINEUPS UNDER THE SIRIUSXM LOGO.

That is what SIIRUS PREMEIR is. That is the channel lineup made available for those people who wanted some of the most popular XM channels made available. And it goes in the opposite direction for those with XM RADIOS who want the most popular SIRIUS channels on their radios and it is called XM PREMIER.

With my link in my above post make sure you select SIRIUS PACKAGES, NOT XM or SIRIUSXM PACKAGES.

That is where you are screwing up.
08:51 AM Liked: 38
post #9 of 11
07-26-2013 | Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

JESTERED,

JUST STOP!!!!! YOU MUST TRUST ME!!!

Now, the above you pasted is the listing for XM SELECT CUSTOMERS. That is for people who have XM RADIO"S in their cars/homes/etc.... Radios made by XM.

When the two companies merged into SIRIUSXM, they still have kept SEPARATE CHANNEL LINEUPS that EACH company had before the Merger. There are only, maybe, 2 SIRIUSXM Radios out there that receive BOTH CHANNEL LINEUPS UNDER THE SIRIUSXM LOGO.

That is what SIIRUS PREMEIR is. That is the channel lineup made available for those people who wanted some of the most popular XM channels made available. And it goes in the opposite direction for those with XM RADIOS who want the most popular SIRIUS channels on their radios and it is called XM PREMIER.

With my link in my above post make sure you select SIRIUS PACKAGES, NOT XM or SIRIUSXM PACKAGES.

That is where you are screwing up.

I actually used your link, but at the top it was set to XM, even though the link is for Sirius. I changed the drop-down back to Sirius and it now shows the NFL p-b-p as being part of the Select package. Great! I'll have to look at what I gain with the Premier package and whether or not I want to drop down to Select or stay with Premier. That still doesn't explain why it says that the NFL p-b-p channels are "online only". I'm assuming that's not correct, so I'll just wait and see.
opieandy's Avatar opieandy
01:07 PM Liked: 10
post #10 of 11
08-19-2013 | Posts: 124
Ha, I had the exact same experience as JESTERED.

No matter what combination of choices you make, every single channel lineup on the SiriusXM website shows all the individual sports team channels (every channel from 800 up) as "Online Only". That is where the confusion reigns. If these are included in car radio, why does that say "online only"?

If you click on "learn more" for the Select or Premier packages, it does say NFL play-by-play is included. Still, that contradicts the "online only" in the programming guide.

So I chatted online with a rep, and he told me point blank that the ONLY way to get NFL play-by-play was via the Internet package ($3.50 upcharge), and that I could not listen to NFL play-by-play in my car!!!!!

I think that answer is completely wrong based the posts in this thread and what I've read elsewhere, but it goes to show that SiriusXM does not have its house in order. Fix the website and fix the sales reps.
tighr's Avatar tighr
05:18 PM Liked: 66
post #11 of 11
08-19-2013 | Posts: 3,246
I have Sirius select in my car, and I do not have online access. I listened to some preseason games this weekend, and I've been listening to regular season (and playoff games) live for the last 5 years. Definitely, totally free.

Something for Jestered: there is no actual channel for the NFL play-by-play. You have to check the website or check the sports play-by-play channel to find out what channel the games are on (this actually goes for college football and basketball, as well). They're usually on all the channels from 80-110 or so, sometimes one or two of them will be up in the news channels. It's really random, and no way to know except for checking the listings. Sometimes NFL.com or other websites will list the channels. The regularly scheduled programming for those channels will be pre-empted by the games, so don't be confused if you're listening to a football game on Stars or Indie or Raw Dog. Notre Dame games typically end up on the Catholic channel, which actually makes a ton of sense if you think about it!!
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

Subscribe to this Thread