NEWBIE table-top radio?!? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-05-2013, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm actually embarrassed to be asking this question, I tried to research it the best I could, but, oh well, here goes:

Does anyone make a SELF-CONTAINED radio for Sirius/XM ?? (sorry for the capital letters -- I'm just using emphasis smile.gif

I see that Sirius makes something called a "tabletop" radio, but it is merely a glorified streaming internet box. They also make this other small unit, but you have to connect it to speakers.

Every other device I've seen is made for a vehicle. There's zillions of photos of people holding this little device in their hand, but those are all for vehicles/cars/trucks.

What I am looking for is an actual "all-in-one" radio, that has the satellite receiver and speakers all built into it.

Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-06-2013, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
there used to be a boombox thingy, where the satellite-receiver was modular and could be removed and plugged into a car. never tried it.

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx97/JML9999/Al_Franken_SNL_SATDISH.gif
post #3 of 7 Old 08-07-2013, 05:20 PM

Liked: 33
The only self contained radio they have is the SiriusXM Lynx.....but you do have to dock it in order to get live satellite...otherwise you're stuck with streaming via wifi or playing recorded stuff (the unit will automatically record 6 of your favorite channels when its getting live satellite, or you can set it up to record certain things) The unit does have a battery and a built in speaker but it doesn't get that loud...but you could have a portable units with speakers if you purchased a speaker case.....

the unit: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lynx+Portable+Radio+with+Wi-Fi/3182319.p;jsessionid=AFDD56E28EAE73C606F126A3AAF555C8.bbolsp-app02-184?id=1218385739829&skuId=3182319&st=lynx&cp=1&lp=4

speaker case: http://www.amazon.com/HMDX-Audio-HX-GO3SV-Go-Portable/dp/B0052D38O0

other than that you will have to get an older unit such as a XMP3 which is a fully contained unit that can pick up live satellite without a dock but it still doesn't have built in speakers. You have to use headphones.

xmp3: http://www.amazon.com/XPMP3H1-Portable-Satellite-Radio-Player/dp/B003E7ES4A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1375920440&sr=1-1&keywords=siriusxm+xmp3

Stietto 2 is also a fully contained portable unit but once again it doesn't have a speaker built in...

Stiletto 2: http://www.amazon.com/SIRIUS-Stiletto-Portable-Satellite-Player/dp/B000WOT6O0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1375920504&sr=1-1&keywords=stiletto+2

But you could technically pair up the portable units with that speaker case I linked and have a contained unit that plays at decent volume....other than that your only bet is the radio boombox streamer that you mentioned which as you know is only compatible with internet streaming or the regular boombox.

regular boombox: http://www.amazon.com/SiriusXM-SXABB2-Portable-Speaker-Dock/dp/B007UNULT0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1375920756&sr=1-1&keywords=siriusxm+boombox

Now the cool thing about that boombox is that it's like having a concealed unit....you can either plug it in or use C Cell batteries. The bad thing is that you do have to buy a dock and play radio but likewise you can choose how many features you want....want something basic then something like the Onyx radio will cost you like $50....with the cost of the boombox you're looking at around $180 for the most self contained unit that you can buy today.....

Unless you get on ebay and get a SkyFi with the boombox....same concept as above...just an older discontinued unit but the boombox is a little more portable and it would probably be cheaper.

skyfi boombox: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delphi-XM-SKYFi2-SA10274-Car-Home-Satellite-Receiver-w-SA10001-Boombox-LOOK-/290950349258?pt=US_Portable_Satellite_Radios&hash=item43bdfe01ca

Hope that helps.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-09-2013, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
They've seriously been slacking on the hardware front over the past few years. Six or seven years ago, there was a multitude of portable boombox and home satellite radios available. Hopefully there is more 2.0-capable hardware coming out soon, especially products that a) are portable, and b) are capable of receiving the Xtra channels.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-11-2013, 03:38 AM

Liked: 33
Unfortunately I believe they are moving away from portables....it is even rumored that the Lynx will be the last such unit.....because while portables were decent sellers a lot of people understood the complications with satellite.....with portable radios they just worked....with satellite you really need satellite headphones and even then it can be hard to get a consistent signal. Not to mention satellite tuners love power and can drain a battery in less than half a day....all of those things hurt the portable market.....if there was a way to make a powerful headphone type antenna that could pick up reception as good as good and consistently as car and home antennas......and make the battery last at least 10 hours....then I'm sure that market could do better.

post #6 of 7 Old 08-13-2013, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
At this point I'd recommend just getting a Logitech Smart Radio or Grace Mondo.

With either of those (Logitech supports more services) you can get internet streaming of SiriusXM but it opens you up to a whole lot of other services like Pandora, Slacker, iHeartRadio, Internet Radio, MOG, Spotify, etc.

If you get a satellite based device then you're paying about the same, if not more, for the device and you may have to worry about getting the satellite signal to your tabletop unit (I think the Lynx will do internet only). Getting satellite to the radio indoors can be a bit tricky. There were repeaters that would help with this and you can probably find them still on eBay but, in all reality, just getting the internet based device (Logitech or Grace) will be a lot easier, probably overall cheaper, and sound better.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-27-2013, 05:55 PM

Liked: 10

I agree completely.  All I want is a self contained, table top Radio with Sirius radio.

If you can have a stand alone GPS device in your car, why can't you have

a stand alone table top radio with satellite radio that does not require wireless or

computer connectivity?  I don't want to have to spend time plugging in this and

that.  I want to go to the kitchen table and switch on the radio, and that's it!

I don't need another set up  "procedure" .   Keep it simple!

Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page