2Likes
  • 1 Post By WakJob
  • 1 Post By aydu

post #1 of 9 Old 04-30-2014, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was fairly surprised experiencing the Sirius retention policies today.
After 8.5 years of paying full tilt subscription (about $180/yr), I sold my satellite equipped vehicle. My new vehicle doesn't have satellite radio.

I figured surely, after almost 9 years, they'd comp me or sell me a discounted standalone unit. Rather than play games and threaten to cancel, I simply asked the CS rep what he could do for me. Hold for a long time, and he comes back with something along the lines of "I can send you an Onyx plus. It's $160+ tax and shipping, but I can comp it for you." I think, great, this is exactly what I was hoping for. I give him my CC #, thinking I'm getting charged with shipping, but then he tells me "okay, your total will be $175". Apparently he was only comping the shipping.

I tell him hold on, I can buy that online for $90. His response is that I'd have to pay a $15 activation fee if I did that. He then offers to try to find me a lower priced radio.

At this point I tell him to simply cancel my subscription, and refund me my remaining time paid on my sold vehicle. Surprisingly, he does this without question.

I can only assume that I'm in their most desirable demographic. I pay full price each month, and they never hear a word out of me. In fact, I've only made contact with them twice. Once to activate my subscription, and the second, to cancel. I was surprised that rather than try to retain a loyal customer, they instead attempt to gouge him for more money.

Time to dust off my CD collection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-01-2014, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I recently cancelled Sirius because of the poor sound quality on most music channels. I have never heard a word back from them. Their marketing division must be out to lunch.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-01-2014, 03:11 PM

Liked: 10
I have 2 vehicles with XM built in, and Sirius still occasionally contacts me to turn back on an old Sportster that I couldn't find on a dare.

Their marketing is jacked.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-01-2014, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakJob View Post

I was fairly surprised experiencing the Sirius retention policies today.
After 8.5 years of paying full tilt subscription (about $180/yr), I sold my satellite equipped vehicle. My new vehicle doesn't have satellite radio.

I figured surely, after almost 9 years, they'd comp me or sell me a discounted standalone unit. Rather than play games and threaten to cancel, I simply asked the CS rep what he could do for me. Hold for a long time, and he comes back with something along the lines of "I can send you an Onyx plus. It's $160+ tax and shipping, but I can comp it for you." I think, great, this is exactly what I was hoping for. I give him my CC #, thinking I'm getting charged with shipping, but then he tells me "okay, your total will be $175". Apparently he was only comping the shipping.

I tell him hold on, I can buy that online for $90. His response is that I'd have to pay a $15 activation fee if I did that. He then offers to try to find me a lower priced radio.

At this point I tell him to simply cancel my subscription, and refund me my remaining time paid on my sold vehicle. Surprisingly, he does this without question.

I can only assume that I'm in their most desirable demographic. I pay full price each month, and they never hear a word out of me. In fact, I've only made contact with them twice. Once to activate my subscription, and the second, to cancel. I was surprised that rather than try to retain a loyal customer, they instead attempt to gouge him for more money.

Time to dust off my CD collection.

I am sorry, but I have to play THE DEVIL here.

1. Just because YOU decided to pay full price means Sirius owes you=NOTHING. It has been explained, and shown here, hundreds of times, how a person should call, threaten too cancel, and receive a discount. Usually 50% or more. It is not anyone's, especially SIirus, problem YOU decided not to do that. That is great. But they you NOTHING. And you should not expect anything.

2. Sirius is a CORPORATION created too make money. Have you ever tried too turn in an Iphone/Android that YOU BROKE, or tried to break a contract. Good Luck. Not one that is defective(sometimes even this is a problem). People come in with the attitude: "I have been a customer of So and So for over X amount of years. I am loyal. I DESERVE SOMETHING. Uh, no you don't. But if you go in and try, you "may" get something, but you should not "expect it".

No one should expect ANYTHING from any COMPANY. Especially these subscription companies. Cable, Internet, etc... The best you can do is ask for a discount, or promo price. Threaten to leave/cancel. They call your bluff, they call your bluff.

No one is FORCED to sign up to any company. These are all LUXURIES, not NECESSITIES.

If the poster had cancelled based on poor sound, or even just came out and said "It was too expensive for just RADIO"; I would have been in his/her corner. But not for this. Sirius is CERTAINLY not too blame for this one.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-01-2014, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

2. Sirius is a CORPORATION created too make money. .

My post is a perfect example of how they are doing a poor job of this.

I wasn't implying that I deserved something from them, as much as I was pointing out that it would have been in their best interest to take care of me. They need me as a subscriber more than I need to listen to them.
Marc Wielage likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-01-2014, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakJob View Post

I figured surely, after almost 9 years, they'd comp me or sell me a discounted standalone unit..

This does not IMPLY that you feel you DESERVE something. Come on.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-02-2014, 03:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I am sorry, but I have to play THE DEVIL here.
If the poster had cancelled based on poor sound, or even just came out and said "It was too expensive for just RADIO"; I would have been in his/her corner. But not for this. Sirius is CERTAINLY not too blame for this one.

I agree.

While I can certainly understand the frustration of the OP because you constantly see the years upon years of posts containing, "I got 6 months for $25!," in that huge thread here, paying full price doesn't make you gold.

I'd say that the worst thing that happened was the CSR using language that made it sound like they were going to comp you a radio. He should have been clear what the comp was as the way that went down made it sound like he had given you something and then taken it away when, really, it was just a misunderstanding.

From the last few posts on the "I got SiriusXM for $x/month" thread, it looks like they're finally putting the brakes on that as some are reporting it no longer automatically works and they're being canceled. I think SiriusXM's monthly price is too high, myself, but it always annoyed me (not that they people were doing anything wrong) that you could pay the stupid high price or call in and pay a normal price or even pay a below normal price for years and years. Why not just set the price normal and let it roll?

You can do this with cable, too, so if you're paying full price for cable give them a call. It's the same stupid game.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-02-2014, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

This does not IMPLY that you feel you DESERVE something.

Exactly.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-13-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Sony got caught hanging on to BluRay, investing tons of money in the format to beat out HD DVD. They lost sight of streaming and are now wondering what to do.

Same with Sat radio. Sirius saw XM as the enemy and they ended up merging. People can now carry around more music on a thumb drive, their phone, or through streaming services to last them on a coast to coast drive without repeating a song.

What do they do? Keep the inflated pricing.

I negotiate with them at every renewal. If I ever reach the point where I can't get close to $5 a month, they are history.
reddice likes this.
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page