Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-26-2014, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Best Option for Portable Application

Hi Everyone,

I currently subscribe to Sirius (factory) with my personal car and we subscribe to the Internet plan as well. I have to frequently rent cars to travel between Atlanta and Nashville. The costs for the SiriusXM for the rental is too pricey in my opinion. So, I would like to get a another Radio that i can take with me on the road every month for the rental. I'm researching the best way to do this given the antenna is not permanent. I see where there is a skydock solution for iPhone. I do have the iPhone 5, but i'm not sure how well that works. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-26-2014, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How about something like this: Siriusxm

Also, if you can find it, they used to make a portable dock for the sirius 7 that looked like a boom box. I have one in my kitchen and if traveling I only take the radio + "car kit" and a bean bag mount normally would used for a cell phone.

"Alcohol may be man’s worst enemy, but the Bible says love your enemy." Frank Sinatra
post #3 of 3 Old 07-29-2014, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I recommend the Onyx Plus - pick it up at Best Buy as they usually have good prices on it.

The price seems to fluctuate from week to week so if you watch it for about a month you should be able to pick it up sub $70.

All of the antennas I've dealt with have been magnetic, so it won't be a problem there. The worst part about this is that you'll end up with 3 wires across your dash (antenna, audio, and power).

If you want a cleaner solution and are willing to pay the data charges on your cell phone bill, then look into just subscribing to the internet streams for Sirius and get yourself a USB charger/cable for your car. Most rentals today have bluetooth so it'll work nicely.

Also, a lot of times when I've rented a car I don't select SiriusXM but it's just "on" in the car I get. Not every time but I'd say over 50% of the time.
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio