New Internet/Mobile App streaming geo restrictions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-19-2016, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 87
New Internet/Mobile App streaming geo restrictions

My SiriusXM mobile app stopped working a couple days ago. Every attempt to log in after the usual tests with clearing cache, clearing data, uninstalling/reinstalling, trying older usernames and passwords, etc. was met with "Server unavailable. Try again later."

So I online chatted with a ListenerCare rep about it and she said SiriusXM streams online only in the USA, Puerto Rico and Canada (I do not live in any of those locations). She said it as though that had always been the case "but is there anything else I can help you with?" I said I had been listening to my subscribed SiriusXM service online all over the world for years and asked her when was that change made and if there had been an announcement of it on their website. She admitted the change was made very recently and, no, there has been no announcement of it on their website.

Sure enough, when I tried to listen directly online through my computer, not through the mobile app, I got a notice saying I was outside of their online listening region and it was a no go, something that had never happened over the years. Of course, activating a VPN on my computer and on my smartphone for the mobile app solved this new problem...for now.

Has anyone else outside of the USA, Puerto Rico and Canada encountered this new geo restriction yet?

Just popped over to the SiriusXM website to see how they pitch the "Get Internet Radio" online streaming option. Looks like they'll need to change a few words or add a few more qualifiers to the way they promote it:

"What you love. Anywhere

Hear the best SiriusXM has to offer, anywhere life takes you. Whether on the app, online or with an internet-connected sound system, you’ll always have the world of SiriusXM at your fingertips."

uh...not anymore. lol

Last edited by hitchfan; 02-19-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-20-2016, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchfan View Post
My SiriusXM mobile app stopped working a couple days ago. Every attempt to log in after the usual tests with clearing cache, clearing data, uninstalling/reinstalling, trying older usernames and passwords, etc. was met with "Server unavailable. Try again later."

So I online chatted with a ListenerCare rep about it and she said SiriusXM streams online only in the USA, Puerto Rico and Canada (I do not live in any of those locations). She said it as though that had always been the case "but is there anything else I can help you with?" I said I had been listening to my subscribed SiriusXM service online all over the world for years and asked her when was that change made and if there had been an announcement of it on their website. She admitted the change was made very recently and, no, there has been no announcement of it on their website.

Sure enough, when I tried to listen directly online through my computer, not through the mobile app, I got a notice saying I was outside of their online listening region and it was a no go, something that had never happened over the years. Of course, activating a VPN on my computer and on my smartphone for the mobile app solved this new problem...for now.

Has anyone else outside of the USA, Puerto Rico and Canada encountered this new geo restriction yet?

Just popped over to the SiriusXM website to see how they pitch the "Get Internet Radio" online streaming option. Looks like they'll need to change a few words or add a few more qualifiers to the way they promote it:

"What you love. Anywhere

Hear the best SiriusXM has to offer, anywhere life takes you. Whether on the app, online or with an internet-connected sound system, you’ll always have the world of SiriusXM at your fingertips."

uh...not anymore. lol
I am also a subscriber,I live outside usa and have had the same experience have to listen through VPN ,I was under the impression as your yourself you could listen any where ! not the case anymore!
post #3 of 4 Old 02-20-2016, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 88
It's probably pressure from the media companies. Most likely, XM/Sirius only has rights for streaming within the US.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR

post #4 of 4 Old 02-25-2016, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Hmm. I forgot to fire up the VPN today and the SiriusXM mobile app worked fine without it here in Thailand. Checked the internet stream on my laptop, same thing. A temporary glitch in the system, or did SiriusXM get enough backlash about their supposed "Listen...anywhere life takes you" benefit to have a change of heart? Time will tell I suppose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page