Could use advice wiring in SiriusXM - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-15-2016, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Could use advice wiring in SiriusXM

Hi All.

I moved to a new house and all of the wiring is very different from the old house. I have an XM sat receiver (the onyx) and I need to wiring it into my receiver. The problem is I have no reasonable way to run the antenna to the outside other than propping the antenna up against a window, which is what I did in the old place. There is no reasonable way (right now) to run an RCA or headphone/mini from the Sat dock to the receiver. So i'm looking at 2 different options, and I was wondering if anybody had any experience with either.

Option 1 - I've been looking but for the life of me can not find a powerline style adaptor that will take RCA or mini. This solution would be the easiest, but I don't know if such a product exists. There is lots of stuff for cat 5, but nothing for A/V. I'm fairly certain that I want to skip the 5.8GHZ wireless stuff, research says they don't work that well.

Option 2 - Sirius makes an outdoor style antenna that mounts on a mast, and they have an adaptor that converts their antenna wire over to coax. The problem I have here is I have Comcast for internet, and an antenna for OTA. The way it's wired now is I have a diplexer outside to combine the Comcast line along with the line for my antenna. The Sirius antenna kit comes with their own diplexer. The problem is I would really need more of a triplexer or a way of combing Sirius, Comcast, Antenna and sending that all down 1 piece of coax, and then have it all split where it comes into entertainment center area. I have no idea of this will work, and if it does, if there is doing to be signal degradation issues with any of the 3 sources.

The powerline adaptor I think would work the best, especially because I plan on having more than 1 dock in the house. But I can't find anybody who makes one.

Does anybody have any experience in this stuff?
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-17-2016, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinewb77 View Post
Hi All.

I moved to a new house and all of the wiring is very different from the old house. I have an XM sat receiver (the onyx) and I need to wiring it into my receiver. The problem is I have no reasonable way to run the antenna to the outside other than propping the antenna up against a window, which is what I did in the old place. There is no reasonable way (right now) to run an RCA or headphone/mini from the Sat dock to the receiver. So i'm looking at 2 different options, and I was wondering if anybody had any experience with either.

Option 1 - I've been looking but for the life of me can not find a powerline style adaptor that will take RCA or mini. This solution would be the easiest, but I don't know if such a product exists. There is lots of stuff for cat 5, but nothing for A/V. I'm fairly certain that I want to skip the 5.8GHZ wireless stuff, research says they don't work that well.

Option 2 - Sirius makes an outdoor style antenna that mounts on a mast, and they have an adaptor that converts their antenna wire over to coax. The problem I have here is I have Comcast for internet, and an antenna for OTA. The way it's wired now is I have a diplexer outside to combine the Comcast line along with the line for my antenna. The Sirius antenna kit comes with their own diplexer. The problem is I would really need more of a triplexer or a way of combing Sirius, Comcast, Antenna and sending that all down 1 piece of coax, and then have it all split where it comes into entertainment center area. I have no idea of this will work, and if it does, if there is doing to be signal degradation issues with any of the 3 sources.

The powerline adaptor I think would work the best, especially because I plan on having more than 1 dock in the house. But I can't find anybody who makes one.

Does anybody have any experience in this stuff?
Thanks in advance.
what does it say on the current duplexer? You probably won't have an issue adding the sirius duplexer. sirius makes one for cable and one for OTA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page