No signal dead zone - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-06-2016, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question No signal dead zone

I have had XM radio for over 15 years and listen to it going to and from work every day. For the past 30 days or so I have noticed a "dead zone" on my route where I get no signal or a very bad signal for @ 3 blocks every time I pass through this area. This stretch of highway is wide open, with only vacant lots or 1 story buildings on either side. No trees, buildings or overpass to block the signal. There are telephone and power lines on both sides. There is also a tall highway patrol radio antenna about a block away from this area. However, the power lines and antenna have been there for at least 15 years and the interference did not begin until a few weeks ago. What could be causing this? There are 3 traffic lights on this stretch of road and I always seem to catch these lights so I am without XM for several minutes every day. Very irritating. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-07-2016, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 55
It's possible a new transmitter was added to that radio antenna that is using frequencies close enough to to XM's to overwhelm your receiver and cause it to lose signal.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #3 of 10 Old 10-25-2016, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I've noticed recently a lot more dead spots in places like you've described - for me it tends to be open interstate with known cell towers around. Gets to be really annoying - I was starting to wonder if my radio was flaking. In the past there was like one zone I'd drive through like that - now there are a bunch more.

PS3/4 ID: Mav_26_
post #4 of 10 Old 10-26-2016, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I notice a similar dead spot by my home. Open road no major trees. I called and emailed XM all I got was reset your radio. Which I have done. I even sent a map attachment showing where the issue area is . I got a generic response back ..
post #5 of 10 Old 11-15-2016, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I see others are experiencing similar. I have one ~50-foot dead zone on my way to work. It is on an overpass so I am actually at the most elevate roadway in the area. Totally unobstructed. The dead zone is very consistent. Radio just goes blank for a couple seconds as I pass through it. I will start looking around for cell-towers close by.

UPDATE: I now see there are 4-cell towers about 100-yards to the north, and there is also a 15-story hotel about 200-yards to the south. But I cannot see the hotel being any sort of blockage really. On the overpass I am elevated, unless the satellite is real low to the southern horizon.

Last edited by KenB123; 11-17-2016 at 07:40 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-19-2016, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 1313
Mine loses signal a lot near my house.. especially in the grocery store parking lot about half a mile away. Zero obstructions and it acts like I'm under an overpass. I have to drive about 3-4 miles south (totally open freeway) before it becomes solid, again. This just started about a month ago. Grocery store is close to two cell towers.. one Verizon and one AT&T. Oddly, my cell service dropped from 3 bars inside of my house to just one earlier, this year.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-20-2016, 02:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked: 604
I know awhile back there was a dead zone dispute going on between T-Mobile and Sirius, each accusing the other of running off spec. The courts had not weighed in yet. Sirius has also been converting to fixed orbit satellites similar to Satellite Tv and building more repeaters, from what I've heard they may be a bit of weirdness during this process. On paper, cell towers and satellite radio are not supposed to interfere with each other. Keep complaining to Sirius.

"Oooh a puzzle box, I love puzzles"/ "Are you familiar with 'The Lament Configuration"/ "Actually I'm lousy at puzzles..."
post #8 of 10 Old 11-26-2016, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Thank you!!!
I'm having the same dam issues and Hyndia wants $90 to see if it's a antenna issue with my car.
I have dead spots all over town for the last month where there is clear land and no abstructions! I'm sick of it.
post #9 of 10 Old Today, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It's too bad that they are dumping the Sirius polar orbital satellites as they were so much better for driving around.

The XM geosynchronous were better for home, though, most people don't have a home satellite setup.

I, too, notice that my SXM (XM side) drops out when it really shouldn't. I get it if I'm going down a road and there's a thick canopy of trees or a mountain beside me (again, the Sirius satellites generally worked in that situation). A lot of the time, though, it just drops and has me thinking, "Why is it dropping out, now?"

To be fair, now that I think of it, it could be the buffer that's the problem on the modern radios (built in radios are very likely buffer free so this wouldn't apply): Let's say you have to stop under an overpass (no signal but you're 10 min behind in the buffer and then 10min later, out on open road, you hit that spot and, without thinking, wonder, "Why is it dropping out??"
post #10 of 10 Old Today, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
XM told me it was more likely a cell tower causeing interfeance then a antenna issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio