Xmpcr - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-22-2003, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone here have an XMPCR? Best money I've spent in a long time. And it is a cheap way to get into satellite radio if you aren't sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-24-2003, 07:40 AM

Dbroome,
Yes, I picked one up the day they came out from PC Connection. It is my second XM unit. Since I use the computer at home for music listening (mostly MP3's) it was a complete no brainer to get the XMPCR and get the reduced rate of $6.99 per month.

One thing that I use it for is recording concerts on channel 168 using the TotalRecorder software package. This records whatever comes in on the 'line in' on the sound card and converts it to an MP3 file. I have about 40 total concerts recorded though they do repeat them as they have a limited pool from the BBC. My car deck plays MP3's so I burn a few concerts onto a CD-RW before road trips.

The 1997 Jewel is especially nice. Toward the end there is a moment before she starts a new song where someone in the audience is making too much noise and she barks out "Shut up, I'm about to start singing". The audience loved it...

If you go over to the xmfan.com web site there are a bunch of guys doing some other cool stuff with the XMPCR.

Robert
post #3 of 6 Old 06-24-2003, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I got mine day one as well (actually day -10 or so when I ordered :-) ).

I spend more time than I should at XMFan.com, and was hoping to stir up some conversation over here about the PCR.

Have you checked out my software for controlling the PCR yet? If not, give it a try ReplacePCR

Come on, there have to be more than just two of us? I thought the members of this board had more sense than that :D

Seriously, for getting XM into your HT, ESPECIALLY if you have an HTPC, you can't beat the XMPCR...
post #4 of 6 Old 06-26-2003, 02:55 AM
Advanced Member

I've been thinking about getting an XMPCR, but I've already got 3 subscribed XM receivers and don't want to pay another $7.99/month.

But it's VERY hard at this point since someone over at xmfan.com figured out how to add TOSLink to the XMPCR.

*Sigh*

TOSLink + D/A of your choice = Better than any of the crappy DAC's on-board the XM receivers.

Cheers, Kermee
post #5 of 6 Old 06-27-2003, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

I dumped XM and switched over to Sirius months ago.

However, this XMPCR device is interesting. If there's a way I can timer record shows using this device, I'd buy it and re-subscribe in a second.

Anyone has written a PVR software for XM yet?
post #6 of 6 Old 06-27-2003, 12:02 PM

jlin,
The timer recording that I do is via the TotalRecorder software package:

http://www.highcriteria.com/

It is not a Tivo, but you can set up a recording schedule that has as many time slots as you want. The software does not have the ability to change the XM channel on the XMPCR so you have to remember to switch channels before the show comes on that you want to record. Also, since it is recording off the line in jack of the sound card and converting it to MP3 it is not a digital capture of the XM signal.

The first poster, dbroom, referred people to a web site where others have completely replaced the XMPCR software with their own. This type of solution may be more along the lines of what you are looking for.

Robert
Closed Thread XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page