What are the costs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-23-2003, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I was shopping for these I noticed that it is multiple pieces. You need a tuner, antenna and service.
What did you guys pay total? And what did you get?

I drive over an hour each day and am interested in something like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-23-2003, 02:19 AM
AVS Special Member

BestBuy and Circuit City both advertise the Delphi SKYFi Tuner for $99.99 after $30 rebate. Additional CarKit needed for $69.99. Then $9.99 monthly for service.

I suspect even lower prices yet to be seen this summer...possibly a FREE tuner with a prepaid 3 year XM contract. I will be adding one to my '04 Honda GoldWing.

Thanks for reading!

Darren Mortensen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-23-2003, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

If you nose around the net (Google?) you might be able to find out if XM is running a "friends & family" special. I got my Delphi unit and car kit in January for right around $100 (or was it $130?) - and the activation fee was waived too.

To me, the $10/month is completely worth it. I wouldn't be without it!

Xbox Live ID:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 11 Old 06-23-2003, 11:27 AM
JML

Security on the friends and family deal got beefed up because some jerk was selling the information, and "discounted" equipment, on EBAY.

However, it is still around. You need the email of someone at XM to approve the deal. It's good until the end of the month and is good for an activated SkyFI plus an adapter kit of your choice for $99, only catch is you agree to a 6 month subscription. It's kind of like getting the 6 months for free, considering that's about the cost of an adapter. That offer expires at the end of this month, which leads me to believe that it might improve. However, if you are driving to work 1 hr. each way every day, I wouldn't wait. It is impossible to accurately describe how good the service is.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-23-2003, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

One cost not to ignore is installation. I wanted mine done right, and the only people I trusted were the local after-market radio shop. The installation charge itself was only $45, but the real cost was that they only sold Alpine XM equipment and I couldn't get the cheap stuff. Still, the total for radio, antenna, installation, taxes, etc. was about $320. Best money I've spent in a long time.

There is one other small cost - a $10-15 initiation fee. Nothing major, but kind of a pain after shelling out all the other money.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-23-2003, 12:41 PM
JML

I had a very good experience with an FM modulator SkyFi install at the local Best Buy -- clean, and worked through some very car specific problems I had, although that obviously varies from place to place. It does seem that the big chains don't know how to do anything other than FM modulation, so if you have AUX inputs in your car deck or want to go with a blitz type adapter, may be better to go somewhere else. The SkyFI FM modulator is an extra $50, and Best Buy's labor was $70. It is recommended that you use Delphi's modulator, others reportedly can be noisy for whatever reason.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-01-2003, 10:48 AM
del
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob645
When I was shopping for these I noticed that it is multiple pieces. You need a tuner, antenna and service.
What did you guys pay total? And what did you get?

I drive over an hour each day and am interested in something like this.
Bob,

Forget the FM mod stuff XM or Sirius. The best sound would be through a direct head unit and tuner.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-01-2003, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by del
Bob,
Forget the FM mod stuff XM or Sirius. The best sound would be through a direct head unit and tuner.
Very true, never go the FM mod route, you'll only be let down.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-07-2003, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JML
I had a very good experience with an FM modulator SkyFi install at the local Best Buy -- clean, and worked through some very car specific problems I had, although that obviously varies from place to place. It does seem that the big chains don't know how to do anything other than FM modulation, so if you have AUX inputs in your car deck or want to go with a blitz type adapter, may be better to go somewhere else. The SkyFI FM modulator is an extra $50, and Best Buy's labor was $70. It is recommended that you use Delphi's modulator, others reportedly can be noisy for whatever reason.
I had a lousy experience with Best Buy for an installation of my first gen Sony last year. Upon driving off of the lot I discovered the left side outputs on my receiver had failed. They refused to take any responsibility and after repeated haggling with both the GM of the store and the national customer service line I finally was able to get $200 from them. The new factory radio cost about $280 plus installation I think.

I got my extended warranty to pay for the radio though with a $100 deductible.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-07-2003, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

never have best buy install ANYTHING, their car audio installers and computer techs are usually just high school kids who are just as likely to break something than to successfully install anything, and don't forget the huge legal form best buy makes you sign absolving them from any responsibility of what their highly under qualified "professionals" do.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-07-2003, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

i've had the best experiences with the mom and pop type places that sell higher end car audio products. Theres a small chain in kansas and missouri called brandsmart, i highly reccomend them if your in the area.
Closed Thread XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page