XM/Sirius vs. Cable/Sat streaming audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-25-2003, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am thinking on getting sat radio for home use only. I work from in my home office and have been listening to smooth Jazz station and others on my digital cable, however I do like sports and talk radio on the am dial. I also send the cable music out to my deck via zone 2, so my questions are:

1)How does the quality compare to the cable and sat tv streaming audio stations for music (it is no brainer that the sports and talk would be better than the AM dial)?

2) Are the talk and sports show low in commercial content?

3)do you need a view of the sky in order to rcv the sat radio?

4) Money isn't an issue do you think it would be worth it in pulling the trigger? And if so, should I go with XM or Sirius?

Thanks a bunch
Jeff

If I had it to do all over again, I'd still hit that shot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-25-2003, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

I work out of my home as well, writing computer code 8-10 hours a day. The first thing I do is turn on my XMPCR (http://xmpcr.xmradio.com). The PCR uses an analog out, which I have wired into my HT (which is the same room as my office, sadly enough).

1) I am never good at determining sound quality, but I would put the PCR slightly ahead of the music stations on D*
2) I don't listen to much talk, but ESPN and Fox and Sporting News all have commercials. Since the same shows are broadcast over FM in some places, this isn't surprising.
3) Unless you live near a repeater, yes of the southern sky. They sell antenna cable extensions if you have to run the antenna outside.
4) With the PCR only $69, it would be worth a shot in my book. It is a great little device.

I can't comment on Sirius, as I don't subscribe to them, but check out both service's lineups and go for it!

Latest project:
post #3 of 9 Old 06-25-2003, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dbroome
ESPN and Sporting News all have commercials. Since the same shows are broadcast over FM in some places, this isn't surprising.
Just to clarifty this a bit. These shows are produced to go out over FM where there are something like 20+ minutes of commercials per hour. But XM only wants to have 2-4. So XM has to fill the dead time. The produce little 1-2 minute bits on who won the Oscars, what produce is fresh right now and how to cook it, what stars are in the sky, etc.

There are also the on-air promos to death with. You *will* know that Fox Sports is produced in the AutoZone Studios, and the Sporting News comes to you from the Century 21 Studio.

The good news is that on XM, you have 4 mixed sports channels, plus the all NASCAR channel, so even with the big commercial gaps you can skip around and not deal with them.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-25-2003, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks Guys! Some of the music channels (XM) are commercial free correct it is sure nice to turn the D* commercial free stuff on in the background while sitting outside with friends?

dbroome my office is actually part of my HT as well but my HT/Office (30x30) is also includes a my bar and pool table Great office bad for bass and the HT!

post #5 of 9 Old 06-25-2003, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Everyone's first comment on coming over is: "That's where you work?!? I would never get anything done" :D

Latest project:
post #6 of 9 Old 06-25-2003, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

My personal experience, subscribing to MusicChoice via DirecTV and XM:

Only 40 channels on MusicChoice, including several erzatz formats vs. 100 channels on XM, most of them music formats.

Sound quality: MusicChoice is dynamically compressed way more than it should be and non-skillfully. It's as dynamically lifeless as Muzak. It's really unlistenable on some music selections, to me. XM is more lively in dynamic range and sounds like the best mp3 file you ever heard but with better high-frequrency air/less high-frequency phasiness than any mp3, although you can hear some congestion in complex highs on some material. This all relates to the XM music channels. Some of the news/talk channels don't sound as good. And XM's in-house music channels sound best of all. Very good, indeed.)

Yes, many of XM's music channels are commercial-free, although they do carry XM promotional annoucements.

I think the channels that do carry spots are limited to 6 minutes per hour vs. 13 to 20+ per hour on local radio.

HiDefDave

WPTV/WFLX West Palm Beach, FL

post #7 of 9 Old 06-25-2003, 03:12 PM
JML

XM has lots more terrestrial repeaters, and stronger satellites that are stationary as opposed to roving. You are more likely to get a good signal in a fixed location with XM; with Sirius, you will probably have to move the antenna several times a day as the satellites move the sweet and dead spots around your room.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-30-2003, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks guys- XM it is! I will let you know what I think.

Everyone's first comment on coming over is: "That's where you work?!? I would never get anything done"

dbroome I hear that a lot good thing I do quite a bit of travel or I may never get anything done!

post #9 of 9 Old 07-01-2003, 10:45 AM
del
Advanced Member

Jeff,

I am a Sirius Sub for over a year. The service is great and the no comercials on the music channels makes a huge difference to me. The Skifi is a nice little unit but does not sound as good as the new Kenwood H2a unit. Buy both and decide for yourself and return the other one.
Closed Thread XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page