SiriusXM through my receiver? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-06-2017, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
dgk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 12
SiriusXM through my receiver?

I recently got SiriusXM in my car and liked it so I got the all access package. Now I noticed that my receiver (Onkyo TX-SR605) has connections for Sirius and XM. I like recording some things off SiriusXM and can do so using Firefox and Audacity, but it tends to be flakey, often just stopping or pausing to ask if I'm still listening or dropping quality because the connection supposedly isn't fast enough. It should be.

Anyway, if I get a Sirius or XM receiver (are they the same thing now?), can I plug that into the receiver and use some output to record on the PC without having the web mess things up? I don't think the PC audio has an optical or coax input, although I may have some SoundBlaster external card that does. But I could use good old RCA jacks (analog) if I have to. I don't think the SiriusXM signal is of such high quality that it will matter.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-14-2017, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1322 Post(s)
Liked: 2566
If you get a SiriusXM receiver such as this, you can just jack it into your computer, assuming you have an input that works at line level (not mic). Then use any number of audio recording packages to capture. I have a similar setup. My XM antenna sits on a windowsill. I have two home docks for the radio.. one near the computer and one in my home theater rack. I actually haven't used the dock by the computer in some time as I find Amazon Prime music to be of a higher quality. Ditto the music channels on DirecTV, which I can also record in much the same way. In fact, I'll probably dispense with XM sometime, this year. The only thing holding me back is the cable news stations and MLB game audio.

Here's an older thread on recording SiriusXM.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page