Thinking about getting XM - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-02-2003, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Honestly, I was never too keen on the idea of satellite radio. Yeah is a cool technology, but I never thought it was completely right for me. Now that I got my first car (a '98 Mercury Mountaineer, I'm 18 BTW) I'm considering it. I mostly listen to hard rock/metal/alternative. The Liquid Metal channel sounds like something I would like. I don't mind regular FM radio since I'm a huge fan of our local 103.3 The Edge and our local morning shock jocks. But I would love to hear uncensored rock. I like country and oldies to a point, but I mostly listen to the hard stuff. In your opinion is it worth the $10 bucks a month and hardware costs just for Liquid Metal and maybe 2 or 3 other rock stations. And to those of you that share in my taste of music, what is your opinion of the rock selection? I'm not looking to get XM right away, maybe by the end of summer, I need to get some other things, like a busheled, mud flaps and new Michelin tires first. One question, with the XM unit will I still be able to use my Ford factory installed 6 disc CD changer in the front console?

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.2.0_11
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0807, HR24-200 Running 0802

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-02-2003, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
You should try over at www.clubxm.com, steve. Congrats on teh truck and graduation, man.

Directv Subscriber (oval dish+ sat c kit)
post #3 of 17 Old 07-03-2003, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

You won't most likely won't be disappointed with the programming on XM - Liquid is great - and every once in a while Boneyard jars some memories. Squizz & Ethel are tops on my list too. Here's a link to the Rock programming page: http://www.xmradio.com/programming/n....jsp?hood=rock

For the shock jock fix, XM Extreme is a station that's JUST morning/shock jocks. (Lewis & Floorwax, Bubba The Lovesponge, Monsters of the Midday, Love Docs, Regular Guys - and a few others that I don't usually catch)

Whether you can still use your CD changer would depend on the head unit you went with - but chances are, yes. The other option is to go with the Delphi console. Go to XM's website - www.xmradio.com - for info on the Delphi. That unit can connect through an AUX jack (recommended), through a cassette adapter, or via an FM modulator. Right now they're running a $30 rebate on the Delphi too.

As to whether it's worth $10/month for a handful of channels, they bill quarterly - so every three months you see a charge on your credit card for $30. That's the same price as two CD's - or ~25-30 songs. I'd say it's worth it.

Xbox Live ID:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 17 Old 07-03-2003, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Corey! If feels great to be free :) I use to visit Club XM and we have our DBSTalk satellite radio spin off, but most of the things posted when asking questions like mine is 'Satellite Radio is bigger the sliced bread'. Thank you Squid! Just the answers I was hoping for. I'm leaning more toward giving XM a try after I get all that other stuff taken care of first. Corey are you looking into sat radio too?

edit- Just taking a look at XMLM's playlist it's got me hooked, Diesel Machine, Slayer and Mudvayne. Plus it looks like they play some of the more obscure stuff and a little bit of black metal. And Boneyard looks great for the more popular stuff from Metallica, Sabbath and Maiden.

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.2.0_11
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0807, HR24-200 Running 0802

post #5 of 17 Old 07-03-2003, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Mehs
Corey are you looking into sat radio too?

[/quote]

Yea, I am. I'm kind of torn between XM and Sirius. XM has 8 channels of R &B and Sirius has 9. I'm not sure if Sirius is worth the extra $3 a month, just because its commerical free. I like skyfi radio too. I just hate that XM doesn't do online streaming so I can see how much it repeats. I'm working on getting an car by September and satellite radio will be one of the first things intalled in my car.

Directv Subscriber (oval dish+ sat c kit)
post #6 of 17 Old 07-04-2003, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Corey140
I'm not sure if Sirius is worth the extra $3 a month, just because its commerical free. [/b]
This may fall into the "defending what you own" category, but to me, the commercial thing is blown out of proportion. I'd guess that probably about 5% of the XM channels have commercials.

I've yet to hear a commercial on an actual XM <i>music</i> station. There are a couple of simulcast radio stations that have commercials, but it's nothing major. The XM Extreme comedy channel is kind of like this too - but they have to do commercials to keep up with the timing of the morning jock content. If the jocks do 4 hours with commercials, XM programs them into a 4 hour slot, and fills their commercial breaks with public service announcements.

Then there are some simulcast TV channels too - and of course, they have to run commercials.

But as for actual music stations, every channel that I've spent a fair amount of time listening to is commercial-free.

Xbox Live ID:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-04-2003, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I never really considered Sirius, I don't mind commercials on the radio as much as on tv and in the rock section XM seems to be more focused. Both have 11 channels but Sirius seems to have less variety with two channels of Alt and Classic Rock.

post #8 of 17 Old 07-05-2003, 01:01 AM
Advanced Member

I also never considered XM because of the adverts on the music channels, everyone thinks different. $3 a month difference is worth it, but if you don't mind some adverts, go with XM.
Its funny though, people who have XM say things like "they're not on very often." :D
If I'm paying $10 a month for music, I don't want any adverts. I guess if you already pay for cable channels that have a lots more adverts than the free tv channels, XM might be ok for you.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-05-2003, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JamesMH
I also never considered XM because of the adverts on the music channels, everyone thinks different. $3 a month difference is worth it, but if you don't mind some adverts, go with XM.
Its funny though, people who have XM say things like "they're not on very often." :D
If I'm paying $10 a month for music, I don't want any adverts. I guess if you already pay for cable channels that have a lots more adverts than the free tv channels, XM might be ok for you.
I don't hear any commercials on the XM music channels that I listen to. I hear some XM cross promotion for some of their other channels. No big deal.
post #10 of 17 Old 07-06-2003, 05:18 AM
del
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Mehs
I never really considered Sirius, I don't mind commercials on the radio as much as on tv and in the rock section XM seems to be more focused. Both have 11 channels but Sirius seems to have less variety with two channels of Alt and Classic Rock.
Well given the fact that XM does not have a true Alternative station and Sirius has a Classic rock hits channel and The Vault (classic bands forgotten gems) and a Jam Band station(Dead, Phish). XM seems less focused to me. They are both fine services but if I am going to pay for radio I will take my rock commercial free 24/7.
post #11 of 17 Old 07-07-2003, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JamesMH
I also never considered XM because of the adverts on the music channels
Out of curiousity, what XM music channels have you heard ran ads? Admittedly, I don't listen to all of the different channels, but I'd be curious to know which ones people have heard ads on.

Between my wife and I, we have pretty varying tastes in music, and I think the only music station I've heard ads on was KISS - which I believe is a simulcast FM station out of Los Angeles - so ads would be expected in that case.

Xbox Live ID:
post #12 of 17 Old 07-07-2003, 11:49 AM

I've heard ads on the Boneyard and Squizz for the military, Budweiser, and Radio Shack (which ironically was a Dish Network ad). Also Best Buy a few times. They are very infrequent. Usually hear them during afternoon drive time. I'm not bothered. The endless "public service announcements" on the syndicated radio channels are a pain but there's not much they can do about that.

I believe XM's Deep Tracks is a 'classic rocks forgotten gems' format but I don't really listen much.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-07-2003, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zeedave
I've heard ads on the Boneyard and Squizz for the military, Budweiser, and Radio Shack (which ironically was a Dish Network ad). Also Best Buy a few times. They are very infrequent. Usually hear them during afternoon drive time. I'm not bothered.
Interesting - I'll have to play closer attention. I'm a station flipper, so I'm not too surprised I haven't heard the ads on those two.

The ones that bother me are the PSA's on XM Extreme. But like you said - they're syndicated, so what else could they do and still maintain the timetable?

Xbox Live ID:
post #14 of 17 Old 07-07-2003, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

According to the XM flyer I picked up at Best Buy a while ago the following channels are being noted as commercial free.

4,5,6,9,10,12,14,15,28,30,31,32,40,44,45,46,47,50,51,65,70,7 1,73,74,75,

post #15 of 17 Old 07-07-2003, 02:39 PM

post #16 of 17 Old 07-09-2003, 03:39 PM
JML

on the music channels with ads, it's maybe 2 mins. per hour. it's barely noticeable.

i don't know who said XM has no alternative rock. 43 XMU is current indie/college, 44 FRED is classic alternative, then there's squizz and ethel, which are modern alternative and hard (creed-style, yuck) alternative... classic rock is divided as "deep tracks" and "top tracks" channels, and while there's no dedicated jam band channel, the jam bands show up on the prog rock channel (music lab).
post #17 of 17 Old 07-10-2003, 01:46 PM
del
Advanced Member

Xm has stated that ads can run up to six minutes per station. That is why I stay clear of anything that Clear Channel is a part of.
Closed Thread XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page