Interested in FREE Sirius equipment? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 34 Old 07-13-2003, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First and foremost, there are no concerns of legitimacy on this deal.
Friends & Family offers have been coming from Sirius since December 2002, and many, including myself have received equipment in this mannor. It is completely legitimate. MarketStar is distributing the equipment for Sirius.

Subj: SIRIUS Friends and Family program
Date: 7/12/2003 10:16:57 AM Pacific Standard Time

I have a limited number of FREE Audiovox FM modulator tuners and SIRIUS antenna available. There is no commitment required beyond the initial month of service activation, which must occur by July 31, 2003. For existing subscribers, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th systems activated on the same credit/debit card is only $6.99 per month.

If you, family, neighbors or others would like to receive a free SIRIUS system, please contact me or forward this mail to others. I will need the same information as previous:

Name-Address-Phone-Credit/Debit Card #-Expiration date-Billing Address-clarification of shipping address

System will be shipped anywhere in 48 states by 2nd day service at no cost.

This will likely be the last such offer for some time.

We hope you are enjoying SIRIUS Satellite Radio or considering becoming a subscriber.

Thanks...John
John Breckenridge
Keeping LA Sirius
www.sirius.com

COMMERCIALS_OFF

Sterling
Moderator at SiriusBackstage.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 07-23-2003, 05:47 PM

holey hand grenades!

I've seen this deal on other forums and wanted to get in on it, but everyone else said that you had to make a 1 year commitment. How are you able to do this without a commitment? I'm very interested if there is no commitment required and the equipment is truly free. How much is the monthly service charge? If you don't mind, please send your reply to dan@terraquad.net

Thanks,
Dan
post #3 of 34 Old 07-24-2003, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

You have to have a 1 year commitment, they would not offer it otherwise. $12.95 a month, or 1 month free if you pay for 12.
post #4 of 34 Old 07-27-2003, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is XM all that? Meaning is it digital, can it offer near non-commercial radio? I am thinking of getting XM. If any of you think it is worth it and that it will stick around, please let me know. TIA

A veteran is someone who, wrote a blank check Made Payable to 'The USA, ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'
post #5 of 34 Old 07-27-2003, 11:27 PM
JML

XM is all that and more.

If you don't like it, Circuit City/Best Buy will usually take it back and XM will pro-rate your unused service. You also get ten random rotating preview channels for free before activating.

what do you mean by near non-commercial radio?
post #6 of 34 Old 07-28-2003, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
what do you mean by near non-commercial radio?
Meaning does XM have any commercials and ad's like regular radio does. Or does it have less commercials? I am also wondering if XM has a good classic 80's station. Digital CATV has a good classic 80's digital music station like that.
One more question if you can. Can I use this device in my car and home?
TIA

A veteran is someone who, wrote a blank check Made Payable to 'The USA, ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'
post #7 of 34 Old 07-28-2003, 08:28 AM

hometheaterguy,
If you buy the Delphi XM receiver you can move it from home to your car. Originally I just had the Delphi home kit, but soon added the car kit because once you have it you don't want to be without it.:D Most of the music channels are commercial free. The channels that do have commercials I would guess that they only have about three minutes an hour.

Kenny
post #8 of 34 Old 07-28-2003, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

KML and Kenny, thanks. One more question: Does XM work in the desert, or mountians? May sound like a dumb question if it is coming from space.

post #9 of 34 Old 07-28-2003, 12:39 PM
del
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hometheaterguy
Meaning does XM have any commercials and ad's like regular radio does. Or does it have less commercials? I am also wondering if XM has a good classic 80's station. Digital CATV has a good classic 80's digital music station like that.
One more question if you can. Can I use this device in my car and home?
TIA
If you want 100% commercial free music only Sirius offers that. It works everywhere with the Kenwood plug and play.
http://www.sirius.com

Yes it does have a 80's channel.
post #10 of 34 Old 07-28-2003, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Del, you are the man, thanks.

post #11 of 34 Old 07-28-2003, 01:21 PM
JML

Both services should work well enough in a car, although XM will work slightly better in most urban environments as they have loads more repeaters.

the reviewer from edmunds had a problem getting sirius in the desert between LA and Vegas, probably he caught during a bad time when the satellites were moving too far away from him. This is a problem with sirius reception -- they went with a roving satellite design intended to do better with overhead obstructions but it appears the downside is equal if not greater, which is, spotty coverage. This is esp. an issue with home units, apparently, so if you get sirius at least try to get a newer unit with supposedly more powerful antennas.
post #12 of 34 Old 07-28-2003, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Cheers JML,
At home I watch mostly DVD's, and if I wanted amplified music, I switch my Lexicon to club and listen to the music videos. But the XM 80's @ home would be hard to beat. I am seriously looking into XM now thanks to your insight. My only hope is that I can get the XM signal in "no-man's-land". Besides HT, I am a rockhound and we get to some places you see in old westerns, or sci-fi movies. The places where cell lines cannot help you. It is my wish that the signal may be better if the vehicle is stationary. I do understand the weather places a part in the reception. Perhaps sometime soon XM will design a booster, or boost their signal a little stronger. What is the longevity of XM?
Thanks again for the knowledge.

post #13 of 34 Old 07-28-2003, 02:14 PM
JML

actually i don't think weather affects either service, except that wet leaves on improperly placed trees will hurt more than dry ones. satellite radio uses S-band microwaves which travel different than what the TV guys use, though I'm not scientifically qualified to get into an extended discussion of it.

both services will be around to stay. XM is very strong financially. They've been using cash to buy back convertible debt, which doesn't sound like a company that's about to run dry, and they expect cash flow break even sometime next year. Sirius just raised a pile more money after wiping out their previous debt. Although I am personally skeptical that sirius has enough cash, they will survive because even in the worst case scenario the bondholders just let someone else run it (so current shareholders get zero, but your sirius signal should stay on).

A stationary car will be fine with both services. The issue for sirius appears mostly to be a stationary home.

Again, you've got nothing to lose. Get the XM, if you don't like it, you can probably take it back and they will pro-rate your unused service. You should be aware that both services have extremely low churn rates, so the odds that you'll be returning it are low.
post #14 of 34 Old 07-28-2003, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the knowledge JML.

post #15 of 34 Old 07-28-2003, 06:15 PM
del
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JML
Both services should work well enough in a car, although XM will work slightly better in most urban environments as they have loads more repeaters.

the reviewer from edmunds had a problem getting sirius in the desert between LA and Vegas, probably he caught during a bad time when the satellites were moving too far away from him. This is a problem with sirius reception -- they went with a roving satellite design intended to do better with overhead obstructions but it appears the downside is equal if not greater, which is, spotty coverage. This is esp. an issue with home units, apparently, so if you get sirius at least try to get a newer unit with supposedly more powerful antennas.

The reason Xm has loads more repeaters is because Sirius does not have to rely on as many. Sirius has three sats that orbit while Xm has two stationary. Sirius has all the major urban cities equipped with repeaters to deal with bridges an tunnels. This is a good http://www.siriusbackstage.com/
post #16 of 34 Old 07-28-2003, 09:17 PM
JML

that ain't exactly so. Sirius has three satellites but they fly a figure eight pattern over the western hemisphere. one satellite is always over south america and not broadcasting. at the very top one satellite is over northern manitoba.

the idea was that with this system, the satellites would be broadcasting at a sharper angle down while over the U.S., and therefore, the signal would be more difficult to obstruct with objects in the line of sight from an equatorial satellite, such as XM's satellites and most other communication satellites. thus, in theory, a need for fewer repeaters.

However, in reality, it means that for limited periods of time there is actually only one effective satellite, and coverage is spottier especially for fixed locations such as home antennas (but sometimes, apparently, in open california desert). your reception sweet and dead spots move around as the satellites move around, and turn themselves on and off and hand-off the signal from departing satellites to arriving satellites.

XM's satellites are positioned in a geostrationary and geosynchronus orbit, so they don't move in relation to the earth. they're always at the same spots. the xm satellites put out a whole lot more power, too. Most powerful communication satellites ever built. and in urban environments nothing beats having repeaters bouncing the signal all around the place.

FWIW, this link shows the footprints of the two XM satellites. If you're anywhere in the colored blobs, you get a signal.

http://www.xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?t...%20rock%20roll
post #17 of 34 Old 07-28-2003, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Well, your right about some of it.. but alot of it is misleading JML.

Sirius operates 3 geosyncronous elliptical orbit satellites. It's being made to SOUND as if they fly in all kinds of weird directions and shapes, they don't. They follow a specific orbit. The orbit by ground tracking looks like a Figure 8 pattern, wide circle to the South (over South America) and a smaller circle over North America (Manitoba, Canada specifically). There is always one satellite powered down while it is below the equator, and there IS ALWAYS two broadcasting satellites far above the equator (where XM's two satellites are located). Both satellites are typically 60 to 90 degrees elevation anywhere in the United States AND Canada. While both companies are only licensed in the CONUS. The handoff between satellites only occurs as one satellite is rising, and one is setting. But during this 5 second transition, one satellite remains broadcasting at full peak of its orbit. Sirius provides near-uninterrupted signal to all of the CONUS, most of Alaska, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, and Cuba. You will never hear that from Sirius, but it has been reported from many Sirius customers all over the country. Not to mention Sirius has an exceptional signal at home in the CONUS. Urban, or in the middle of the Grand Canyon.

Sirius has less repeaters (around 110), because they don't need around 1,100 repeaters like XM has. Their satellites are not blocked nearly as often as XM's. And to further improve reception at airports, and other venues.. Sirius is adding 50 more repeaters over the next 9 months.

Home reception is easy to achieve with any satellite radio product, as long as you position your antenna properly. With XM, point it out of a Southern facing window and you'll be great. Sirius, point it toward Manitoba Canada (where one satellite always is) and you will get excellent reception. If your not sure where to position it, that's why home units come with a "zone" brochure to show you the area you should point your antenna to receive the best possible signal. If you do as recommended by the Home kit for the product you purchase, you will always receive uninterrupted service. Rain, sleet, or snow.

And to that report you posted, that was quite a long time ago... right after Sirius had launched service. XM had MANNYYYY reception issues with their repeater network for months after their national launch. But no, XM fans didn't see it that way. Sirius couldn't be given several months to work out the bugs. They shouted that Sirius was inferior, and XM was better. Not so anymore. You also seem to know XM's cash position well, but did you take the time to sort out Sirius's? Aparently not. XM is still in debt, significantly.. around $1 BILLION in debt. Sirius eliminated $1.1 Billion in debt ($200 million remaining and due in 5 years), and is currently OVERFUNDED by nearly $300 million beyond cash-flow breakeven in 2005. Now, i'm not trying to sound rude here.. but did you just not do any research on Sirius financials, or are you stretching it out for XM to sound better?

Take a Kenwood Here2Anywhere, or an AudioVox SRS Shuttle just about anywhere and I guarantee excellent reception.

As far as the Friends & Family promotion. It is legit, no term requirements. But you maybe out of luck if you didn't jump on this sooner. John has been running low, so call if you havn't already.

Sterling
post #18 of 34 Old 07-28-2003, 10:32 PM
JML

I'm just not going to get into this business of the companies' financial prospects with you here. This isn't the place for it. Obviously we disagree, and time will tell. (Sometimes people mistake financial analysis for a diss of their favorite service/toy. It isn't.)

My opinions on those matters have nothing to do with the quality of either service or the survivability of either. I made it very clear I think both services will survive, even if new ownership comes into Sirius. The programming is up to whoever runs them, and the consumers will (continue to) make their choices.

Sirius has reception issues with fixed locations such as homes. That's fact. The Edmunds reviewer had problems getting a signal in the desert between LA and Vegas. That's fact.

I continue to assert that the single most important consideration in selecting which service to go with (no, I don't think AM/FM is an option) is the programming.

Peace out.
post #19 of 34 Old 07-28-2003, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Sirius has reception issues with fixed locations such as homes. That's fact. The Edmunds reviewer had problems getting a signal in the desert between LA and Vegas. That's fact.
Sirius only has reception issues in the home if the steps to install or mount the antenna are not followed properly. It's not a widespread problem, or something that's even common... or even that difficult.

Was the Edmunds reviewer using new equipment?
If not, new Sirius Gen2 hardware has even better reception abilities.
New single-wired Sirius antenna are active, rather than passive gain like the first series. Even with older equipment, there is no excuse for a dropout in such a wideopen area. It's not common to get dropouts like that at all, so I can only assume there must have been some sort of interference from something nearby.. A PCS spectrum boomer cell in the desert perhaps? I really don't have any idea what it could have been, but.. its not normal with Sirius.

Sterling
post #20 of 34 Old 07-29-2003, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

This may have been addressed in this forum in times past, but again sat-radio, (Sirus, or XM) is new to me and becoming more interesting as I learn from you folks in this thread. BTW, all of you have impressive knowledge on this subject.
My question is about merging. Does XM and Sirus plan on merging, just as Dish Network and DirecTV plan to?

post #21 of 34 Old 07-29-2003, 08:16 AM
JML

merger would be impossible for anti-trust reasons, and it wouldn't make sense for either company.

on a related note, no new satellite radio licenses can be granted until 2007, and it is very unlikely that a third competitor will step into the picture. By then, XM and Sirius will have massive installed bases and have already pretty much locked up all the car manufacturers. It would be impossible for anyone to raise money, launch satellites, find distribution channels, etc., and if they did, XM and Sirius could just squash them out on price.
post #22 of 34 Old 07-29-2003, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Just for reference, there will be no new exclusive deals with auto manuacturers.
XM and Sirius both agreed with each other that any new deals with auto manufactures will be non-exclusive.

Sterling
post #23 of 34 Old 07-29-2003, 12:54 PM
JML

that is correct, no more exclusivity -- but only as far as the satellite radio companies are concerned. the car companies can do whatever they want, they just can't be bribed by the satellite companies.

For some auto companies that follow the "audi model" -- a snap on interface on a satellite ready car -- it may be nothing to add some newbie. However, for companies that have a history of doing dealer or factory installs of a specific product, they're going to want to keep it simple.

This is particularly true with GM and Honda, which own big chunks of XM and have no incentive to offer anything else. For the same reason, Ford and Chrysler may be loathe to offer anything but Sirius. Honda has the additional issue of the fact they obtained a portion of XM's bandwidth for a telematics (onstar style) service, so they're probably locked into XM on that account alone.

Anyway, nobody should wait until 2007 or 2009 to get satellite radio. If you don't have it, you need it.
post #24 of 34 Old 07-29-2003, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Anyway, nobody should wait until 2007 or 2009 to get satellite radio. If you don't have it, you need it.
Good advice indeed. So XM Radio and Sirus play the same material, broadcasting it from the same spot, just as Dish and DirecTV have the same stations? I have a question about tuners. I have always been an Alpine guy and I noticed the Alpine hard wired remote and stealth brain Crutchfield carrys, are they good tuners? But I doubt they work in the home. Are the Delphi and Audiovox strong tuners? TIA

post #25 of 34 Old 07-29-2003, 03:13 PM
JML

No no, for the most part XM and Sirius play different material from different places. Each service is like having 100 new radio stations. Now, there is some overlap, for example, both services have an 80s station, but they're each done by the respective service.

The stuff that's the same is some syndicated or outside-produced news and talk programming, for example, CNBC is CNBC on both services. But the 80s channels are programmed by different people and have different personalities.

Alpine makes good stuff. I've always had Alpine head units in my cars. I've got a slightly old Alpine unit now but for XM I use the Delphi SkyFi. My alpine picks it up with FM modulation. The SkyFi is extremely strong. The only XM unit I would avoid is the Sony plug n' play.

Alpine makes an FM modulator-controller for XM, which lets you use it in conjunction with any head unit. Audiovox makes a similar modulator for each service. The modulator controllers display the station information and let you tune and the signal is re-processed as an FM signal on an unused frequency, which you pick up with your existing head unit.

Alpine also makes head units that are XM-ready and can be used in conjunction with an Alpine XM receiver. The other XM and Sirius head units made by Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood, etc., work the same way. The head unit is capable of displaying the satellite information and tuning the satellite radio, but it needs a separate receiver box to process the satellite signal and send it on down. Of course, all car options require an appropriate antenna, there are many different styles and types.

The other audiovox unit you may be referring to is the sirius shuttle, which is basically a clone of the SkyFi. Reception on it is probably as good as any other Sirius system. Really, I think that in terms of reception, the biggest factor is which service you are trying to receive, not the equipment you're using.

The SkyFi and Shuttle will work in your house with home adapter kits. The dedicated car units aren't designed for home use.
post #26 of 34 Old 07-29-2003, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

The AudioVox SRS Shuttle, Kenwood Here2Anywhere, and the Kenwood KTC-SR902 Tuner are the best Sirius tuners to date. The AudioVox however, excels in every aspect IMO. The reception, and audio quality are better than any Sirius unit to date. The second generation Sirius chipsets are quite superior to the first generation units. Not to say that Gen1 units are bad, but the new units are definitely better.

Sterling
post #27 of 34 Old 07-29-2003, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

How is the SR902 "better" than the SR901?
post #28 of 34 Old 07-29-2003, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

It uses a second generation chipset, versus the first generation.

No additional power source needed, its powered by the radio/ipbus cable.
Single antenna cable for powered active gain antennas.
Better signal reception.
Better sound quality.
No fan.

Sterling
post #29 of 34 Old 07-29-2003, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
just as Dish Network and DirecTV plan to?
You mean planned. The E*/D* merger was rejected over 6 months ago.

I almost bought an XM unit at WalMart the other day until I realized the $125 was just for the receiver, the home adaptor kit was an extra $65. Since my other post on getting XM, I decided I only want it for home, I'll leave the car to CDs and *gasp* FM radio, which I have no qualms about.

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.2.0_11
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0807, HR24-200 Running 0802

post #30 of 34 Old 07-29-2003, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

So the sat merge was rejected, thanks for the update Steve.

Closed Thread XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page