XM Radio On My Laptop! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 07-22-2003, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I've been interested in SAT Radio since its inception but as w/a lot of new tech, I 've taken a wait & see approach before jumping on the radio waves bandwagon. A few weeks back, I read David Courey's article on XM Radio in Cnet. The article & rave review perked my interest again. Last week I accidently discovered this Forum as I am usually concentrated on the Direct View Forum. Since, I've learned a ton from this forum, and when a poster gave the XM homepage link I clicked away.

WOW, I'm definitely sold on this SAT Radio! I've been XM radio channel surfing for an hour, and am totally freaked. I now know why David Coursey was so excited about XM. Right now, I'm listening to XM Radio via the internet (FOR FREE!) through my Laptop w/a good set of Grado SR325 Cans. Stereo & sound is amazing for radio! The selection of channels is equally amazing. If anyone wants to sample XM Radio before making the plunge, I advise going to the XM Radio website. Plug in a good set of headphones, select your favorite channel and listen away! Next stop, Sirius!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-23-2003, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally posted by cajieboy
...Stereo & sound is amazing for radio! The selection of channels is equally amazing. If anyone wants to sample XM Radio before making the plunge, I advise going to the XM Radio website. Plug in a good set of headphones, select your favorite channel and listen away! Next stop, Sirius!
The codec used over the Internet is not the same as the satellite transmission. I find the Internet sound quality only slightly above poor. If you are looking for Internet audio you should try MSN Radio or Virgin Radio Free. These at least sound passable.
post #3 of 21 Old 07-23-2003, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

William,

Perhaps it's my excellent Grado headphones. Or my good sound card on the laptop. Or probably a combination of both. Whatever the reason, the sound ain't bad for radio. But thanks for the tip and I'll definitely check out MSN & Virgin.

I travel a great deal, and this SAT Radio has now hooked me. Can't wait to get it hooked up in my vehicle. Now I need to decide between XM & Sirius. Desisions, decisions!

I do want to say that I think SAT radio is the biggest threat to local radio. IMO, once you listen to XM/Sirius for a short while, you'll won't go back to commercial local radio.
post #4 of 21 Old 07-23-2003, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just spent the last couple of hours downloading Virgin's so-called "Free Radio" stuff. IMHO, it sucks big time! SELL, SELL, SELL all over the damn site. Lousy freakin channels, and they don't play well on my laptop! None of this occurred at the XM site, and even though it was a sampling, it was a damn good sampling. Virgin keeps pushing their own subscription service until you're fed up for sure. William, you've GOT to be kidding...
post #5 of 21 Old 07-23-2003, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
cajieboy,

Go get the XM!!!

I'm in field service and put lots of time in the van. This is the best invention since my Valentine One. But now, since I'm never in a hurry, I don't really need my V1 anymore....

I virtually NEVER listen to those rinky dink local stations anymore...

XMFAN bigtime...

lol

joe
post #6 of 21 Old 07-24-2003, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Joe,

I'm leaning towards XM. I went to the Sirius site for a sampling and to check out their programming. Also went to the XM Fan site which had some interesting posts from some Sirius invaders. Sparks were flying!

The Sirius website could use some serious web design tips from XM. As for sampling, Sirius gives you only 20 minutes! Heck, I'm STILL listening to XM samplings as I'm writing this. Sirius, what a gyp!
post #7 of 21 Old 07-24-2003, 08:47 AM

It's funny you mention the "fanboys"

good grief, there is very little difference between the two sat. providers, I sure as heck can't find a reason to go nuts over one or the other. Truth be told, I picked xm somewhat for the delfi unit, but mostly for the $36 per year, which means I get to buy two more DVD's for free......I just didn't see where sirius had really any advantage, and definitely not an advantage worth paying really anything extra for. I guess another way to look at is with xm every 3rd month, you get the next month free vs. sirius.

Yeah, I love my xm, but I'd like the other guys too. Sat radio, ANY sat radio is better than being stuck on locals when you travel a lot....

have fun listening!
post #8 of 21 Old 07-28-2003, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

jeoinaforest,

You may be right about the two SAT providers being a hairs breath apart, but the thing is Sirius does not give enough sampling time to find that out. Twenty minutes ain't enuf. XM gives you 3 hours to sample the various stations, which I think is fair and adequate. It would be no skin off Sirius' nose to do the same. Just plain good business.
post #9 of 21 Old 07-28-2003, 10:00 PM

Yeah well put it this way.

XM puts DEMOS of their programming on the website, YOU ARE NOT LISTENING to live audio. That's why the samples are around 3-4 hours.

Sirius, your listening to WHAT PEOPLE REALLY HEAR all the time.

Plus, it's very easy to listen to Sirius online with no time requirements.

http://www.sirius.com/asx/channelname.asx
Replace channel name with the channel name!
us1.asx
thepulse.asx
thebeat.asx

whatever you want!

Sterling
Moderator at SiriusBackstage.com
post #10 of 21 Old 07-31-2003, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

BuggyBoyCA,

Thanks for the link but it did not work. I did go to the Sirius site myself and was able to listen for a long time. Every 20 minutes, sometimes in the middle of a song, the player stopped and I had to start it again, but it did work for me. The Channels were great and sounded good for radio, so there's no complaints whatsoever. I guess it will come down to who can give me the best service for the best price. The 2 SAT Services are really a close call.
post #11 of 21 Old 07-31-2003, 05:21 PM
del
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cajieboy
BuggyBoyCA,

Thanks for the link but it did not work. I did go to the Sirius site myself and was able to listen for a long time. Every 20 minutes, sometimes in the middle of a song, the player stopped and I had to start it again, but it did work for me. The Channels were great and sounded good for radio, so there's no complaints whatsoever. I guess it will come down to who can give me the best service for the best price. The 2 SAT Services are really a close call.
They are very close but I will take my Sat music without commercials period. That is why I chose Sirius.
post #12 of 21 Old 08-01-2003, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

35 of the XM music stations have commercials, 34 don't. Make sure you check to see if the stations you like are commercial free before writing off XM. It is possible that the stations you might like ARE commercial free.

And if anyone wants to know EXACTLY how much commercial time was played on a particular music station over a given period of time, just let me know. You'd be surprised how little commercial time there actually is...
post #13 of 21 Old 08-01-2003, 03:34 PM

Now, this is not a slam to XM.. but one reason why I could never leave Sirius to get XM is the fear that the number of commercials will increase later on. ClearChannels investment, and that they have a channel on XM doesn't make me feel any better about the future of programming at XM.

Sterling
Moderator at SiriusBackstage.com
post #14 of 21 Old 08-01-2003, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

While I can certainly understand your feeling that way, CC has such a minor investment (and IIRC, only one seat on the board) that they really have no control over how many commercials are played on XM.

I won't let the possibility of more commercials in the future (which could happen on Sirius as well as XM, if the financials don't work right) sway my choice of what service I like best right now. I like XM's channel selection now, and the 1.5-2.5 minutes of comerrcials and PSA's I hear now per hour do not bother me.

Personnaly I would have more fear on shelling out an invetsment in a company that doesn't control their own satellites than I would have fear that the commercials might increase. I believe Sirius creditor's own Sirius satellites, and if they aren't happy or Sirius defaults, the satellites could be shut down (worst case scenarion, I know)...
post #15 of 21 Old 08-15-2003, 11:22 AM

BuggyBoyCA...

The link you provided is great. The audio is definitely passable. Thanks! However, I have tried to get the comedy channel and can't. Is there a list of the actual url names used?

I also tried to get the 60's station with no success. Any hints?

Thanks,

Wayne

Go Ahead.....
Take a look at MY POOP

MY POOP don't stank!!!
post #16 of 21 Old 08-15-2003, 08:02 PM

BTW.... another worthwhile solution to streaming audio and capturing it to other devices (laptops, mp3 players, etc.) is Winamp 3 with the Streamripper plug-in. Totally free! Every genre of music, talk, entertainment ...... most without any commercials. The quality (with a DSL or Cable connection) is very good.... certainly good enough for a portable MP3 player to exercise with. Even the 28k stream is not bad. Most of the streams have tag information which is compatible with most MP3 players. For those who want streams online ****free***** you can be up and running in less than 5 minutes.

If you go that route, you may want to get MP3 editors such as MP3 Trim, MP3 Works or MP3 Splitter. All are very simple, straighforward and ****free*****.

Regards,

Wayne

Go Ahead.....
Take a look at MY POOP

MY POOP don't stank!!!
post #17 of 21 Old 09-19-2003, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

My driving habits have changed also.

My Valentine 1 is needed when I'm listening to:

XM 42, 81, and 82.

Valentine 1 is not needed when I'm listening to:

XM 71, 110, and 113

Valentine 1 may or may not be needed when I'm listening to:

XM 27 and 121.

Cheers, Kermee
post #18 of 21 Old 09-19-2003, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

waynethedvrguy,

Thanks for the Winamp tip. I had trouble w/Winamp 3 as are allot of other folks. I found the all new Winamp 5 through a forum and it works great. It is suppose to be the best combination between Winamp 2 & Winamp 3 (2+3), hence the Winamp 5 moniker. Lots of selection for streaming audio, and it's free. Not too shabby.
post #19 of 21 Old 10-02-2003, 05:18 AM

I haven't tried WinAmp5 yet. Thank you for the tip.

I'll give it a whirl later today.

Thanks,

Wayne

Go Ahead.....
Take a look at MY POOP

MY POOP don't stank!!!
post #20 of 21 Old 10-02-2003, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

waynethedvrguy,

Yeah, I've had absolutely no problems w/Winamp5. You mentioned Streamripper in an earlier post, but there seems to be something going on w/Streamripper and Winamp. I don't think you can even mention them in the Winamp Forum. What's the deal?
post #21 of 21 Old 10-02-2003, 09:38 AM

I don't know. I use Streamripper with WinAmp 3 and they work beautifully together. It is a WinAmp plug-in that is seamless in operation.

Perhaps, just a guess, this plug-in is causing a stir because it also extracts all of the MP3 tag information streamed by the provider. No copy-protection, etc. As I say..... I really don't know any other reason.

Regards,

Wayne

Go Ahead.....
Take a look at MY POOP

MY POOP don't stank!!!
Closed Thread XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page