antenna mounting - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-12-2003, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm thinking about getting satellite radio, but I'm scared if I put the antenna mounted with double sided tape, someone may come along, pull off the antenna and steal it. I live near a park and school with alot of ppl walking by and I don't have access to a garage. Someone told me to put it inside my car on the dashboard close to the window. Will I get a good signal from there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-12-2003, 10:07 AM

I have a delphi skyfi which I move between a Plymouth Voyager and a Mitsubishi Mirage. Both vehicle have a small velcro tab which I use on the dashboard (by the windshield) and on the bottom of the antenna. I have absolutley NO problem in the Mitsubish with dropouts at all. In the voyager occasionally I will have a drop out if I'm heading North and drive into thick (and I mean thick) overhanging trees. I also believe that I must have a repeater nearby as I don't have a problem picking up signals while I am at work inside a large wharehouse. My suggestion...Buy the XM radio....you won't regret it!
post #3 of 10 Old 08-12-2003, 10:09 AM

Whoa. I just noticed my spelling and grammer errors. Hold off on the bashing please.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-12-2003, 10:39 AM

Well, I will not ever recommend that you place the antenna inside your car. None of the XM or Sirius antenna are designed to put in a car. The antennas are designed to use the metal roof or trunk of your car as a metal ground plane to pick up, and amplify terrestrial repeater signals better. Not placing it on a metal surface will lower the signal strength of the repeater signals significantly. Not only can it impair terrestrial reception, but by not providing a 360 degree view for the antenna to pick up satellite signals, can increase dropouts because you, or your car could be blocking out satellite signals depending on the direction your travelling.

I really wouldn't worry about someone stealing your antenna.
The adhesive used on roof mount antennas seals very tightly, you can just pull and it comes off easy.. It takes a several minute process to remove one! And even if they did get it off, it won't do them any good. If you cut the coax on them, good luck getting them attached to something else. The machine to put connectors on the cable costs hundreds of dollars!

Far too much work for a $39 antenna.

Sterling
Moderator at SiriusBackstage.com
post #5 of 10 Old 08-27-2003, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Exactly. I was originally worried about theft as well but from a practical standpoint it won't be a problem. If someone coveted my xm antenna and was willing to cut the wire to get it, it would be worthless to them. Even if they managed to get into the car and undo my 45 minute nice wiring job, the damn thing is worthless. They'd need the unit and a car or home kit anyway, and those come with an antenna. Install it and relax. Also, like the last poster said, it is very important to install on a metal roof, not inside the car, for a variety of reasons.

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
post #6 of 10 Old 08-29-2003, 03:13 PM

I just installed a Siius system with the Kenwood series 2 tuner and ant. The antenna is small and very nondescript. I would not worry about it getting taken. The antenna is magnetic but the 5 " rubber wire cover leading off it sticks down with an adhesive strip.

By the way..Sirius Rocks!

"Too late, had your chance..muffed it"
post #7 of 10 Old 09-01-2003, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

If I get a magnetic antenna, couldn't I pull it off and take it with me and mount it back on when I drive? I only drive the car on the weekends.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-02-2003, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bass4040
If I get a magnetic antenna, couldn't I pull it off and take it with me and mount it back on when I drive? I only drive the car on the weekends.
Yes, you could do that.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-09-2003, 09:55 AM

I disagree with those that say you MUST place it outside. I drive a Honda Odyssey, have it velcroed on the very front and center of the dash. Reception is flawless, even when driving throught the Sierras.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-13-2003, 04:19 PM

It doesn't HAVE to be placed on the outside.. But it can make a big impact on reception if it is not. If you have a clear view of the sky wherever your placing the antenna, and you dont have repeaters, or a need for repeaters in your area you will be fine. If you live in a big or moderately sized city with repeaters, the roof it the best place for it with no question. But as a rule of thumb, it should always be on the roof or the trunk (if it is metal).

Sterling
Moderator at SiriusBackstage.com
Closed Thread XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page