Sirius S50 - Page 4 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Gaming & Content Streaming > XM and Sirius Satellite Radio > Sirius S50

XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

barbie845's Avatar barbie845
06:44 AM Liked: 10
post #91 of 112
01-08-2006 | Posts: 1,564
Quote:
Thanks! Does the antenna have to be a Sirius home or car antenna, or any antenna that plugs into the unit?
There's differing opinions on this..But I have read many posts from Sirius users that say they've had better luck with car antennas in their home units. The car antennas aren't as directional so because of Sirius moving birds the car antennas have less dropouts..But with the directional home antenna if the satellite isn't where the antenna is pointed you will lose the signal for 30 mins. or so..

Of course your results may vary depending on what part of the country you live in..
Duck1965's Avatar Duck1965
05:21 PM Liked: 10
post #92 of 112
01-08-2006 | Posts: 6
Update....Got everything I needed at Radio Shack and it's working great! Thanks!
RAVEN56706's Avatar RAVEN56706
09:30 PM Liked: 10
post #93 of 112
01-08-2006 | Posts: 4,671
is there a reason why i hear alot of static with each channel?
TomCat's Avatar TomCat
09:42 PM Liked: 12
post #94 of 112
01-08-2006 | Posts: 2,406
Static is an analog issue. There is no analog in SR.

That being said, what that means is that you can rule out the SR service, and the SR reception. The FM modulation from the SR to your conventional receiver IS analog, and is prone to interference. That would be the first place to look.
RAVEN56706's Avatar RAVEN56706
10:01 PM Liked: 10
post #95 of 112
01-08-2006 | Posts: 4,671
well not sure but it sounds ok when i turn up the volume but when i flick through channels it sucks...

should i get a fm modulation?
Methodman1977's Avatar Methodman1977
06:23 AM Liked: 10
post #96 of 112
01-09-2006 | Posts: 3
Hi,

I just finished setting up my mother's Sirius (Sportster Replay), and now that I've heard the service I want to get Sirius. I'm interested in the S50 with the home dock, however I've been reading that it doesn't have an FM Transmitter, which is something that I want. Is this something that I could go out and buy at Radio Shaft, and if so, how does it hook up to the Homd Dock and do you know about how much it will cost?

Thanks for your help.
ronnied's Avatar ronnied
07:32 AM Liked: 10
post #97 of 112
01-09-2006 | Posts: 8
Okay, so I just returned my original S50 yesterday to Circuit City. They were not happy, and after reading all the blogs on the web I see why. I LOVE SIRIUS, I am also a stockholder, but like any are upset with this unit.
I cannot find any replys to the issue that I am having, and I ve only seen a few others who have the same problem.

The issue I am having is hooking it up to my Dell Laptop. My computer reconizes it with no problem, but the MSS program DOES NOT. The S50 icon is not in the window, therefor the software doesn't "see" it. I have called the support # several times and was on the phone for an HOUR. THe guy told me there was nothing he could do, it was a DELL problem...contact them.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Please email me and let me know. I do love this thing, especailly for the gym/beach, so I would like to put my own songs on here.

I may just call sirius too and state that we are stockholders and bitch...who knows...
Like others have said it was released too soon and sirius was not prepared to take the volume. I was on the phone for 1 hour trying to get the replaced S50 hooked up, which means their subscriber # has gone up again.

Hopefully everyone will be happier than us.

Ron
gdbrown56's Avatar gdbrown56
06:57 AM Liked: 10
post #98 of 112
01-11-2006 | Posts: 1
Has anyone figured out how to mark (bookmark) the spot where you stopped listening to a recorded show? Evertime I listen to 20 - 30 minutes of 2 hour segment of Howard Stern's show, I have to note the stopping point (i.e. 23:57s) and then fast forward to that spot the next time I start back up. There has to be a better way.
glen619's Avatar glen619
07:39 AM Liked: 10
post #99 of 112
01-11-2006 | Posts: 2
Quoted from Siriusbackstage site, under the S50 Forum
I'd link it, but the forum won't let me until I have 5 posts. lol

When I am listening to my S50 Media Player and then turn it off, if I come back later and power it up, the S50 doesn't remember where it was last playing am I doing something wrong?

We have found no way to make the S50 Media Player remember where it left off when you shut it down. It seems to go back a song and sometimes where it starts playing even seems random. This has been turned in as a bug. The S50 really needs some sort of auto resume or boomark feature.
glen619's Avatar glen619
07:44 AM Liked: 10
post #100 of 112
01-11-2006 | Posts: 2
We tried to remember all the questions and answers that had been covered and I am sure we left some off. If you know of any that we need to inlcude please let us know in the regular S50 thread. We recommend all new S50 owners read through this FAQ before posting any questions in the S50 thread.

Revised 12/28/05

I am getting a NO PSRAM message when I try to pause live content, what do I do?
Follow these steps...
1. With S50 on in car/home dock unplug power.
2. With S50 out of the dock plug power back into dock.
3. Put the S50 (powered off) back into the powered dock.

This procedure does not work for everyone. It is possible that you'll be advised to bring the tuner back to the retailer and swap it out for another. It has been reported by a few forum members that the 3 finger reset does not fix this problem.

I lose my signal and get "Acquiring Signal" or "No Antenna" It sometimes freezes up at the Dog Logo.

Make sure you are updated to the latest firmware, version 1.0.10.

I uploaded my MP3's but they aren't showing up on my S50 Media Player, what did I do wrong?

Make sure you have the My Sirius Studio software installed. You should ONLY use the Sirius Studio Software to upload content and create playlist on your S50 Media Player. Once you've connected your S50 to the PC and it shows up in the Sirius Studio Software, you can create playlist and you simply drag and drop the MP3 or WMA's that you wish to store into the specific playlist. Once they are finished uploading, make sure you eject the S50. You should then find your MP3's/WMA's in the playlist on your S50. You CAN delete content from your S50 Media Player using the My Sirius Studio software by highlighting the track on the S50 Media Player Window (which maybe in a specific playlist) hit the "Delete" key on your keyboard. A confirmation window will pop-up. Your selection is now deleted from the S50 Media Player. You can also delete using the Content Management menu on the S50 to delete content It is NOT recommended that you use Windows Media Player to manage your S50 content. You can also delete "LOVED" songs and shows by holding down the "Play/Pause button on the Media Player itself, you'll get a confirmation YES or NO.

How do I disconnect the S50 from my PC?

Click the eject icon next to the graphic of the S50 in the My Sirius Studio Software. It's the triangle with the line under it. You'll get a message that it now safe to remove your device, you can remove the USB cable from the S50. You'll need to do this when you've completed loading MP3's/WMA's, creating playlist or checking for firmware updates. (NEVER JUST UNPLUG) the S50 Media Player without ejecting it as the Media Player and the MSS maybe writing to your S50 memory, which could cause it to become corrupt.

My Battery doesn't work, I can only get power when its plugged into the dock.

You must remove the battery cover and take the plastic strip off the battery connections. The battery cover slides off and it is very hard to remove initially. Remove the battery, pull the plastic strip off, reinsert it into the S50 Media Player, you should now have a working battery.

Can I use my S50 Auto Cradle at home?

Yes, you need to buy an AC to DC power supply. (Make sure you buy one that puts out at least 1000 mAh or 1 AMP) The included Cig Adapter Power Cable will plug directly into this power supply. (The included cable has built in limiting circuitry to make sure your tuner doesn't get but 5 volts and no more than 1.5 amps so do not directly plug in anything else to your cradle kit) You'll then hook up the antenna, which may need to be placed outdoors if possible. It has also been recommended to give the auto antenna a ground plane to use a pie plate or other type metal sheet. Plug in the audio-out cable to your stereo, pc speakers or whatever source you wish to use and you are all set. On a side note: It has also been reported that some are using the 5 volt 2.0 AMP Max AC adapters that are used for home kits of XM2GO and RoadyXT tuners. (Do this at your own risk and we can't recommend you doing this)

Can I record from Music Channels?

Yes since the version 1.0.10 firmware update you can record from music channels.

Can I record Howard Stern?

You can Record Howard Stern, but you must set two back to back 2 hour recording sessions. You cannot listen to the first 2 hours while the second two hours are recording. Hopefully a firmware update will allow for longer recording sessions.

Scheduled Recordings

You can set the S50 to record future programs and store them in memory. When scheduling a recording, you can specify the channel, date, time, duration, and the frequency of recording (once, daily, Monday-Friday, or weekly). You can schedule up to 20 recordings and a maximum of 2 hours each per recording session. Note: In order for the S50 to successfully record a program, the unit must be docked, connected to a power source, connected to the antenna, and receiving a good signal. When in the vehicle dock, the unit must be turned on at the time of the recording. When in the home dock, the unit does not have to be turned on at the time of the recording

If you are scheduling multiple back to back recordings it is recommend that you leave 5 minutes between recordings. If you do not do this you may find your tuner didn't wake up to record the 2nd scheduled recording. We thing this is because the Media Player has to finish recording and then shut down. If it is still in that process and the next recording comes up it will be skipped.

Saved Material: Songs, shows, or downloaded songs are stored in four categories:

My Sirius Channels: This category consists of three playlists which are automatically created and contain songs or comedy from the three music and/or comedy channels you listen to most. Content from these channels are stored in playlists named after the channel name. Individual songs cannot be browsed as a list.

My Sirius Songs: This playlist contains individual songs saved from music broadcast channels, except if they have been saved during a scheduled recording. Songs and sets are grouped by genres for easy browsing.

My Sirius Shows: This playlist contains news, sports, or talk shows and scheduled recordings saved from the Sirius broadcast channels. They are grouped by sub-categories which are named after the channel from which they are saved. Sports games are saved in subcategories names My NBA zone, My NFL zone, etc.

My Sirius Playlists: This playlist contains MP3 and WMA audio files which you have downloaded from your computer using the supplied My Sirius Studio software.

I deleted one or more of My Sirius Channels and I can't seem to get them back?

When going to content management and deleting one or more of your My Sirius Channels, it will not immediately start recording those channels again. But you can use the following method to get your channels back so that they record again.

Say you want channel 18, to be one of your My Sirius Channels; tune to that channel and then shut down, remove from dock and then replace in the dock. The player will power up and be on Channel 18. Leave it there for 15-30 minutes and it will start recording to your new My Spectrum (channel 18) or whatever channel you have selected.

How big is the hard drive?

The S50 actually has memory not a hard drive. It 1 gig flash memory and segmented to provide space for your own MP3's/WMA's, 3 favorite My Sirius Channels and "LOVED" songs. MP3/WMA space is limited to 512 MB max with the rest for SIRIUS content.

When is the home kit coming out?

The home kits are now showing up at retailers. There have been reports of Circuit City and Best Buy having them in select stores. Until then many of our members have been using This to allow them to use the car kit at home.

When is the next firmware update?

It has been confirmed that SIRIUS is working on another update. They have given no time frame for the release of this update. Make sure if you have not done so already that you update from version 1.0.01 to version 1.0.10.

The My Sirius Studio Software has been updated to version 1.0.1.4886 It now has a feature that will allow you to restore your S50 to factory defaults. You can download this software from the SIRIUS webs site HERE.

Is there a version of the My Sirius Studio software for the Mac?

Currently the My Sirius Studio Software is only available to support Windows 2000/Windows XP Home and Pro.

How do I check to see if a firmware update is available?

You must install the My Sirius Studio Software. Once you get it installed and you get your S50 Media Player connected, go to FILE/Device Settings. You'll get a pop up screen. Now click on Check for Software Update. You'll then see the date of your current firmware and it will show if there is an update available. The MSS software will automatically look to check your current version and automatically download it, though this has not worked for everyone.

Is there a way for Macintoch users to get do a firmware update even though the MSS software isn't supported?

Yes there is currently a procedure for doing a firmware/software update using a Mac Computer connected to the media player via the USB Cable. We are currently confirming this procedure with Sirius and will make it availble once it is approved for release.

How can I update my Channel Logo's, Wallpapers and Voice Tags?

You must have the latest version of the My Sirius Studio Software installed. Connect your S50 using the USB Cable. The MSS with a connection to the internet can communicate with the S50 to download these updates. These updates are provided every 2 days. You need to leave your S50 connected in order to get this update. Make sure you eject your S50 and not simply unplug it from the USB cable as it maybe in the middle of an update. I will give you a warning if you use the eject button that it is busy downloading.

How long does the battery last?

The battery is said to last 6 hours. It is recommended that you initially cycle your battery. (Make sure it is fully charged, and then use it on battery until the media player dies) Now once you recharge it fully you will have cycled your battery. The battery with the display turned down to its lowest setting and set to only stay on for 15 seconds when you change channels etc, will provide you between 5 and 6 hours. If you leave the display on all the time, you'll only get about 3 hours of battery life.

Can I use the S50 to Transmit the FM Signal to my other radios?

The S50 Media Player does not broadcast the FM Signal without being docked in the Auto Cradle. The FM Trans is actually built into the Auto Cradle.

When using the S50 Media Player in the Home Kit will it transmit the FM Signal to my other radios?

The Home Cradle Kit does not have the FM Trans built into it. You will need to use an Auto Cradle if you wish to have the ability to use the FM Trans or some other type FM Trans for use at home.

I can't seem to turn my S50 Media Player off when it's not docked!

You must hold down the Playlist button for 2 second, this will then shut it down. Make sure the button lock is not on or you'll have to turn if off before any of the buttons will work.

When I pause my S50 Media Player when it is undocked, it seems to shut down?

Apparently this is suppose to be a feature to save battery life. This was some what addressed with the recent firmware update, but still turns off without warning. There is no setting to change this in the menu, the auto-off feature is not the same thing.

Can you delete songs or shows with the Media Player Buttons?

You can delete songs/shows by playing them, then press-hold the pause/play button on the portable. A menu asks if you want to delete. Select "Yes. You cannot delete "My Sirius Channels" in this manner.

Can you "LOVE" songs without the S50 Media Player being docked in the cradle?

Yes, you hold down the PLAY button for 2 seconds, you'll see the "Heart" logo come up on the display and the small heart in the right hand bottom corner until it is completely moved to your My Sirius Songs. You cannot "LOVE" Canadian Channels or BBC1.

The My Sirius Songs and My Sirius Channels seem to fade in and out, did I do something wrong?

The S50 apparently fades at the beginning and ending of songs. There is nothing you can do to change this. When listening to the My Sirius Channel it becomes somewhat annoying. UPDATE: It appears that this was addressed in the latest firmware update, however it is still hit or miss.

When I am listening to my S50 Media Player and then turn it off, if I come back later and power it up, the S50 doesn't remember where it was last playing am I doing something wrong?

We have found no way to make the S50 Media Player remember where it left off when you shut it down. It seems to go back a song and sometimes where it starts playing even seems random. This has been turned in as a bug. The S50 really needs some sort of auto resume or boomark feature.

Is there a way to back-up saved content from your S50 Media Player?

There is no official way to do this. Maybe there will be a way provided in future updates to the My Sirius Studio Software.

I found a small cable with an 1/8" jack what is this for?

This is a wired FM Antenna, which plugs into the FM-Out on the S50 auto cradle kit. This is to enhance the FM signal being transmitted so that your Radio will recieve a better signal from the S50.

Will MySiriusChannels save talk channels?

No, MySiriusChannels will only record your (3) most listened to music and/or comedy channels.

Does the S50 and it's docks require seperate subscriptions?

No. The media player holds the subscription, not the cradles. You can use as many docks as you wish with no additional subscriptions.

What is the phone number to contact tech support for the S50?

Do not call Sirius Customer Service. Contact Sirius S50 Product Supoort @ 1-800-869-5364
pkrash's Avatar pkrash
10:43 AM Liked: 10
post #101 of 112
01-11-2006 | Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnied
Okay, so I just returned my original S50 yesterday to Circuit City. They were not happy, and after reading all the blogs on the web I see why. I LOVE SIRIUS, I am also a stockholder, but like any are upset with this unit.
I cannot find any replys to the issue that I am having, and I ve only seen a few others who have the same problem.

The issue I am having is hooking it up to my Dell Laptop. My computer reconizes it with no problem, but the MSS program DOES NOT. The S50 icon is not in the window, therefor the software doesn't "see" it. I have called the support # several times and was on the phone for an HOUR. THe guy told me there was nothing he could do, it was a DELL problem...contact them.

Please email me and let me know. I do love this thing, especailly for the gym/beach, so I would like to put my own songs on here.

I may just call sirius too and state that we are stockholders and bitch...who knows...
Like others have said it was released too soon and sirius was not prepared to take the volume. I was on the phone for 1 hour trying to get the replaced S50 hooked up, which means their subscriber # has gone up again.

Ron
I had the same problem and emailed you a simple solution.
TomCat's Avatar TomCat
06:26 PM Liked: 12
post #102 of 112
01-11-2006 | Posts: 2,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdbrown56
Has anyone figured out how to mark (bookmark) the spot where you stopped listening to a recorded show?...There has to be a better way.
I think recording on the S50 is OK, but I look at the S50 as a receiver with programmable start times rather than as a recorder. Managing the content on the S50 is just exceptionally cumbersome.

It makes more sense to yes, set recordings on the S50, but also set simultaneous recordings directly to MP3 or AAC on a computer using Audio Hijack Pro or TotalRecorder or whatever. Then you have a recording already on your computer HDD that is small and can be flashed over to an iPod or other player, and a backup recording directly on the S50 just in case there are occasional computer problems. It also lets you run out of the house with the show on iPod while the docked S50 sits at home waiting for the next program to record.

Once in MP3 or AAC format, there is an AppleScript that can make groups of MP3s or AACs bookmarkable in iTunes with a single mouseclick. I think it's at dougscripts.com, but if this would work for you (iTunes) and you can't get it off the internet I can email it to you if you PM me. It's tiny. Once you place it in the iTunes folder, it appears as a menu item in iTunes. It makes so much sense that I would be willing to bet iTunes 6.1 or 6.2 will incorporate this feature.
The Sim's Avatar The Sim
04:12 PM Liked: 10
post #103 of 112
01-17-2006 | Posts: 25
The S-50 is a bit quirky sometimes, but when you need its recording ability (such as when you need to pause the Howard Stern show for a few minutes and you don't want to miss anything), it really comes in handy. And it makes a fairly decent MP3 player as well (frankly, I'm really not much of an iPod fan). I still rate mine a great buy for $229.

- PS, it works **MUCH** better with the latest firmware update...
TomCat's Avatar TomCat
04:08 PM Liked: 12
post #104 of 112
01-21-2006 | Posts: 2,406
OK, I'm out.

My S50 just took a complete sh*t in the middle of Stern Friday, and could not be resurrected. No signal, no channels, no disk image recognized on the PC, no nothing. After four lengthy phone calls and enduring the stupidity of their "bots", finally a real human being told me that someone would call me in 4 days to teach me the 3-finger salute, which, by the way, would probably not work.

To me, that means that if it will take their dedicated S50 tech support group 4 days to even get back to me, that they are either severely understaffed or the S50 is severely plagued with problems, or maybe a little of both. So I then brought up my own impromptu 1-finger salute to the S50, which is going directly back to the Sirius Store. I have had nothing but trouble from day one, and can't justify tying a $500 subscription to the "lifetime" of a unit that is nearly stillborn and couldn't possibly remain trouble-free for more than a week at a time.

Good riddance. When I told the first tech guy which receiver I had I could hear a long sigh of exasperation as he said "Oh yeah...the S50" and in a way which sounded like my revelation made him very depressed.

The one thing I liked about the S50 was that it would capture songs in my absence and allow me to dub them to iTunes. That was cool. But the reliability factor just isn't there. It came to market too soon, way before it was ready. And I was recording directly to computer anyway, so it didn't provide a lot of advantage for the Stern show. And trying to determine which shows were old and could be deleted was all but impossible. "Like an iPod", my rosy red Irish ass! That's like saying Rosie O'Donnell is "like Angelina Jolie".

So today I went out and got a open-box Sirius1 from BB for $44, which is less than a tenth what the S50 and home unit cost, so maybe I'm coming out ahead. So long, suckers! AMF! See you in hell, S50!
The Sim's Avatar The Sim
07:22 PM Liked: 10
post #105 of 112
01-21-2006 | Posts: 25
At least you still stuck with Sirius, and that's what really counts ;)

Had you updated the firmware to 1.0.10? Mine finally froze solid also with the old firmware, but I was able to plug it into my PC and update it, and it came back to life and has been working *almost* flawlessly since then.
TomCat's Avatar TomCat
08:57 PM Liked: 12
post #106 of 112
01-21-2006 | Posts: 2,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sim
At least you still stuck with Sirius, and that's what really counts ;)

Had you updated the firmware to 1.0.10? Mine finally froze solid also with the old firmware, but I was able to plug it into my PC and update it, and it came back to life and has been working *almost* flawlessly since then.
I updated about 3 weeks ago to 1.0.1 but it doesn't matter, because I can't mount the S50 on my PC anymore. It won't place an image on it and won't recognize the current one.
perilous's Avatar perilous
03:15 PM Liked: 12
post #107 of 112
01-24-2006 | Posts: 719
WHEW!!! After seeing this in S&V, I "siriusly" thought about getting one as it seemed pretty cool!! THANKS!!! After reading about all of the fun you all are having with this, I'll pass (for now....)
jt83's Avatar jt83
05:09 PM Liked: 10
post #108 of 112
02-25-2006 | Posts: 1

Ron

I had the same problem and emailed you a simple solution.

I am having the same problem with my s50, my dell computer wont recognize it. Can anyone send me the solution, Im stumped.

thanks
rightwingjoe's Avatar rightwingjoe
07:55 PM Liked: 10
post #109 of 112
03-13-2006 | Posts: 1
I also cannot get the image to show up on my sirius studio when its connected. Can someone please give me the info to fix this on my Dell? I thought a lot of people have Dell's, guess Sirius don't care about us.
Mr. Hanky's Avatar Mr. Hanky
08:50 PM Liked: 32
post #110 of 112
03-26-2006 | Posts: 6,078
Good tidings, fellow S50 owners! :)

I have been on both sides of this S50 recognized by MSS issue (some computers seem to see it, some not). My suspicion is that this has something to do with a specific S50 USB driver that gets installed (or not installed) during the MSS installation. Some computers are so "locked down", the Windows security policy rejects the installation of the driver (but naturally, leaves you in the dark that this happened). Most likely, the driver is not digitally certified by a "trusted" source? So you are left with only the generic USB driver on your PC, which only allows the S50 to appear as a generic disk volume, but is unable to allow your MSS to see it as an S50.

Since Sirius doesn't provide the special driver and installer separately, there's no way for you to force Windows to accept the driver. Hence, you are SOL until you can figure out how to get Windows to accept it during the MSS installation.
jubrand's Avatar jubrand
10:33 AM Liked: 10
post #111 of 112
03-29-2006 | Posts: 5
Hey, just wanted people here thate aren't members over at SBS that we're trying to get Sirius to give us some kind of response to the s50's problems. Go Digg this story so we can get it on the front page. Just as a bonus for those of you that are having problems with the s50, the story itself links to some helpful FAQs about workarounds.

(Hi Hankey)

I can't post links yet, so go to digg and search for "s50". The title of the story is
"Sirius S50 Owners Speak Out".
Mr. Hanky's Avatar Mr. Hanky
02:02 PM Liked: 32
post #112 of 112
03-29-2006 | Posts: 6,078
Ah yes, I thought I remembered your name. I forgot though, are you friend or foe?

Closed Thread XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

Subscribe to this Thread