Sirius Poor Reception... help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-29-2006, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone.. please.. I just had a Sirius Sportster installed in my car. The antenna is up front, inside the car, next to my windshield. I very rarely have 3 bars.. let alone 2.. most times I am operating at 1 bar... and then drop out. This seems to happen quite a bit and I am getting discrouraged. Is there any setting I can do on the receiver to make this better? Radio station matter?

I live in Northern NJ.. not far from NYC. Its not like I live in the woods. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-29-2006, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

You can try placing the antenna in the rear window if possible. I work on cars for a living and notice alot of antennas placed on the rear deck so thats got to tell you something. I still think you should have optimum terrestrial signal strength from your locale.

Visit me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-30-2006, 02:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Put the antenna outside,on the roof..

Quote:
I still think you should have optimum terrestrial signal strength from your locale.
No,the repeaters only have a range of about 15 miles,so I doubt he's picking up any signal from the NYC repeaters...
post #4 of 12 Old 01-30-2006, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Another vote for putting the antanna on the roof. That is by far the best location for it.

Petteri Leone
"all the boys upstairs want to see
how much you'll pay for
what you used to get for free"
- tom petty, the last dj
post #5 of 12 Old 01-31-2006, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
They put mine on the trunk lid, right below the bottom of the back window and I've had no problems. The installers said that inside the car tint could interfere with the signal in the back window and that people usually had problems with placing the antenna on the front dash...

Elite PRO-70X5FD!

dvdguru

Xbox Live Gamertag: AVS Steve
post #6 of 12 Old 01-31-2006, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie845
No,the repeaters only have a range of about 15 miles,so I doubt he's picking up any signal from the NYC repeaters...
barbie845 -
Do you know of any map or website that may display Sirius repeater locations, I have seen one for XM radio a few years back and wondered if there was any such thing for Sirius.

Visit me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-01-2006, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member

No I don't..Last I heard Sirius was being pretty silent about their repeater locations...But I guess you can always try calling them and ask them...
post #8 of 12 Old 02-01-2006, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvispookie
Anyone.. please.. I just had a Sirius Sportster installed in my car. The antenna is up front, inside the car, next to my windshield. I very rarely have 3 bars.. let alone 2.. most times I am operating at 1 bar... and then drop out. This seems to happen quite a bit and I am getting discrouraged. Is there any setting I can do on the receiver to make this better? Radio station matter?

I live in Northern NJ.. not far from NYC. Its not like I live in the woods. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
From my experience, you need to get that antenna outside the car. I experienced the same problems you were having with placing the Sportster antenna up inside on the dash (2-3 bars and a lot of signal drop outs). Mounted the antenna outside on the roof and have had 10 bar reception and no signal drop outs since. Made a 100% improvement in my case.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-01-2006, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
elvispookie,

Outside of the car, on the roof(if possible), no question. At least on the trunk, but if you can get it on the roof, DO IT.

I think people are afraid, or don't want to pay for, to have it installed professionaly by someone. There are NO holes to drill or the like(I think this might be a worry of people with a LEASED vehicle. You won't damage the car, or change it, to install the antenna outside, especially if done by someone who knows what they are doing). It is simple, and there is not much to it. But not everyone is willing to try to do it.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-01-2006, 02:29 PM

Another vote for outside...I had the same problems. Since I put it outside it has been fantastic. I have both XM and Sirius and I am liking Sirius more and more...
post #11 of 12 Old 02-03-2006, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

follow up for all who responded...

first of all.. thanks for the tips and help.

I called Sirius and they told me that mounting it on the roof is the ideal position.. it actually reflects the signal off the roof.. he said your entire roof becomes what would be equivelant to a sattelite dish. I called my installer and he said he would do it free of charge. I am getting it done tonight. Will follow up.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-06-2006, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

ok.. they put the antenna on my truck.. on the outside.. 100% signal at all times. I could not be happier. I would say this is a strong vote for always putting it on the outside of the car.

Thanks to those who responded.
Closed Thread XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page