XM: Commercials on music stations (CH21) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 05-22-2006, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all:

On my way into work this morning I heard a Kit Kat commercial on channel 21. The display said "GET WRAPPERS" and listed a web site.

Has XM abandoned being commercial free on the music channels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-22-2006, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Long story - here's the 30 second version:

ClearChannel (boo) was an early investor in XM. As part of the deal, they got the right to run several XM channels. They recently forced XM to abide by that agreement, which overrides XM's no-commercial policy. So we get CC's annoying stations with commercials, and XM now just claims they have the most no-commercial stations.
post #3 of 24 Old 05-22-2006, 05:19 PM

It probably won't be long before Sirius has commercials on their music channels too. Cable tv started this way too, for those of you old enough to remember, they billed it as commercial free tv but you see what happened to that! We now have the privilege of paying for tv AND we get to watch all those really well produced commercials!
post #4 of 24 Old 05-22-2006, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNameGuy View Post

Long story - here's the 30 second version:

ClearChannel (boo) was an early investor in XM. As part of the deal, they got the right to run several XM channels. They recently forced XM to abide by that agreement, which overrides XM's no-commercial policy. So we get CC's annoying stations with commercials, and XM now just claims they have the most no-commercial stations.

However, at the same time that occurred, XM added a bunch of new commercial free channels, playing the same format that the CC channels are also playing. I don't know if they were able to add as many channels as CC added commercials to, but I think that it was pretty close.
post #5 of 24 Old 05-23-2006, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there a way to tell which channels are programmed by CC? Can we assume that all CC have commercials and other "XM" channels do not?
post #6 of 24 Old 05-23-2006, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

From XM's web site:

Nashville, KISS, MIX, Sunny and WSIX are programmed by Clear Channel. These channels will start carrying commercials on May 1 and will now be located in a new category on our channel guide called "Regional News, Talk & Music Channels.

The other 60+ XM programmed music channels do not have commercials...
post #7 of 24 Old 05-23-2006, 02:23 PM

Liked: 12
Even though i don't have XM its a shame Clear Channel rears its ugly head again ruining the whole non comercial satellite radio experience. I'm glad I don't listen to regular radio at all anymore. Its useless in my opinion. CC and CBS can starve for all I care.
post #8 of 24 Old 05-23-2006, 02:53 PM

On my xm radio the stations that have commercials have the name of the station and then after it there is a cm. So like mix cm shows up on my roady 2.
post #9 of 24 Old 05-23-2006, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep,I noticed that today...MIXcm
post #10 of 24 Old 05-24-2006, 05:37 AM

Commercials bring in a lot of $'s. I am sure sometime down the road Sirius will do the same as someone else stated.

There is just too much money out there for these two companies to make with commercials to avoid it for long.

Samsung SMT-H3090, XBox 360 Elite, Sony BRAVIA KDL-52XBR4
post #11 of 24 Old 05-27-2006, 07:26 PM

TonyNYC: I think the subscription price is supposed to generate revenue. The talk channels do have commercials on them. From what I've heard about the Clear Channel channels, they're getting dropped as soon as the contract's up. Hence XM making new stations.
post #12 of 24 Old 07-17-2006, 12:31 AM

I am SO disappointed with my XM because all of the channels I want to hear are slammed with DJ's and promos for XM@!

I didn't subscribe to "XM commercial free radio" to hear that old has-been Wolfman Jack, Motormouth or *any* other DJ.

And it's not just on the rock n' roll stations... even the classical channels have their DJ's with: 'that was bla-bla-bla and so who recorded this in 1966 and bla-bla-bla'... Next (yawn) we are going to hear bla-bla-bla/// gimmie a break!

Also, many many times in any given hour I am told I am listening to "The Sixties on XM RADIO" and there is NO reason XM needs to do that because they have their own satellites and the FCC knows who and where they are! If it is a issue of the FCC requiring XM to provide station identification ~ do it on the DISPLAY!

Trust me, I will not renew my XM subscription.

I was looking forward to switching to Sirius at the end of my year subscription, but thanks to these forums, I've learned that Sirius also has way too much verbiage.

It's interesting that Sirius provides many truly "commercial and verbal free" channels on my girlfriends cable channels? NO words at all ~ Yesssss.

Now where can I find those channels without subscribing to cable?

Anyone considering XM should be ready for talking and DJ's on all of the best channels.

A final comment to XM: BOOOOOOOO!

Pirate555
post #13 of 24 Old 07-21-2006, 01:57 PM

In regards to the CC commercial channels.

It kind of pleased me to hear that XM tried to refuse to play commercials on the CC channels(even though they had to in the end). On another forum a member mentioned calling in and channel blocking all the commercial channels(music channels that is). You won't be losing anything anyway since they added a new channel with matching playlists.

If a significant number of people do that it might remind them that people won't tolerate commercials.
post #14 of 24 Old 07-21-2006, 06:15 PM

wow, that's WEAK....
post #15 of 24 Old 07-23-2006, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate555 View Post

I am SO disappointed with my XM because all of the channels I want to hear are slammed with DJ's and promos for XM@!

I didn't subscribe to "XM commercial free radio" to hear that old has-been Wolfman Jack, Motormouth or *any* other DJ.

And it's not just on the rock n' roll stations... even the classical channels have their DJ's with: 'that was bla-bla-bla and so who recorded this in 1966 and bla-bla-bla'... Next (yawn) we are going to hear bla-bla-bla/// gimmie a break!

Also, many many times in any given hour I am told I am listening to "The Sixties on XM RADIO" and there is NO reason XM needs to do that because they have their own satellites and the FCC knows who and where they are! If it is a issue of the FCC requiring XM to provide station identification ~ do it on the DISPLAY!

Trust me, I will not renew my XM subscription.

I was looking forward to switching to Sirius at the end of my year subscription, but thanks to these forums, I've learned that Sirius also has way too much verbiage.

It's interesting that Sirius provides many truly "commercial and verbal free" channels on my girlfriends cable channels? NO words at all ~ Yesssss.

Now where can I find those channels without subscribing to cable?

Anyone considering XM should be ready for talking and DJ's on all of the best channels.

A final comment to XM: BOOOOOOOO!

Pirate555

Then satellite radio is not for you. Get an iPod. Both XM and Sirius have DJs, they are radio services, not digital jukeboxes. DJs are a part of radio. I have both XM and Sirius and while it does vary from channel to channel, Sirius' DJs are generally more talkative then on XM. For alt rock, Ethel on XM has no DJs, Sirius' Alt Nation has Madison. No DJs on Big Tracks on XM, no DJs on Enlighten either.

If you're hearing 100% uninterrupted music at your girlfriends house, and if she does have cable, you're not listening to Sirius your either listening to DMX, or most likely Music Choice. Sirius only provides audio to Dish Network. DMX and Music Choice provide audio services via cable for residential subscribers or directly for commercial subscribers. They're not available for vehicle use.

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.2.0_11
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0807, HR24-200 Running 0802

post #16 of 24 Old 07-24-2006, 06:54 PM

I'm glad I popped in here to check out the commercial situation.
I was straight pissed a few weeks ago when I started hearing commercials (not near as pissed as I was when found out some of the channels are "parental guidance") Anyways, I just thought I'd go over to Sirius... but now that I just printed the new channel guide:
http://www.xmradio.com/programming/f...sp?sort=number
I see that I'd been using an old one and now I'm partially pacified.

Now if XM will actually stop the commercials after CC's contract is up... and we can get them to play unedited tracks... I might not have to spend so much money at iTunes.

NFO's do it in the back seat.
post #17 of 24 Old 11-13-2006, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmasta View Post

TonyNYC: I think the subscription price is supposed to generate revenue. The talk channels do have commercials on them. From what I've heard about the Clear Channel channels, they're getting dropped as soon as the contract's up. Hence XM making new stations.

Clear Channel doesn't simply have a "contract" with XM, they're part owner. This isn't going to happen. They are on XM to stay. The sad part is, 2 of my favorite stations turned out belonging to the ANTI-CHRIST OF RADIO, Clear Channel. I really hate those guys.
post #18 of 24 Old 11-13-2006, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick1853 View Post

In regards to the CC commercial channels.
On another forum a member mentioned calling in and channel blocking all the commercial channels(music channels that is).

Ohhhhhhhh, I didn't know we could block channels. COOL! Calling now!
post #19 of 24 Old 11-14-2006, 07:13 PM

It is silly
post #20 of 24 Old 01-05-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNYC View Post

Commercials bring in a lot of $'s. I am sure sometime down the road Sirius will do the same as someone else stated.

The Sirius music "streams" have never been "commercial free." They've always included advertising. Last night I was listening to the Sirius Gold channel and they were plugging the "NASCAR Channel" between the songs. I recall a lot of commercials for the Martha Stewart and Howard Stern channels, also. Those may be ads for Sirius products, but they are still commercials.

-- Roger
post #21 of 24 Old 01-06-2007, 11:07 PM

I am not 100% sure. BUT I think Arbitron and other radio ratings or research companies soon will incorporate XM and Sirius with the research of off air radio stations. Reminders, liners, and promos mentioning you are listening to 60's on 6, or 70's on 7, or "The Heart" or whatever will probably be needed to remind people what they are listening to so they can mark it in the diary.

However, if you think about it... Ratings are to determine who and what demos are listening to the stations for advertising clients, or a tool to generate revenue. Seeing Sirius and XM claim to be subscriber based do they really need research data? XM and Sirius can generate their own research data. They can incorporate a USB or phone modem so you will have to upload your listening logs once a month to keep your subscription active.
post #22 of 24 Old 04-10-2007, 09:08 PM

Glad I found this thread. XM is in my wife's vehicle so I don't listen to it that much but lately when I have, I noticed all the commercials. What a bunch of crap. Makes me hate CC that much more.

-Matt
post #23 of 24 Old 04-12-2007, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grgeiger View Post

They can incorporate a USB or phone modem so you will have to upload your listening logs once a month to keep your subscription active.

Yuck, awful idea.
post #24 of 24 Old 04-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Just ignore CC stations on XM and listen to the format channels. Works for me!

I own a Samsung BD UP5000 with over a 1000 Blu Ray Movies

I also own a Toshiba D3 & Toshiba A30 plus 175 HD DVD Movies

Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page