SIR-GM1...anyone? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-02-2006, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to convert my 2004 Chevy Tahoe from XM to Sirius. I found a part called SIR-GM1 that is supposed to do just what I want.

Has anyone had experience with this. If so, can it run off the built in antenna or do I have to run this new one?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2006, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
the SIR-GM1 has been delayed, then delayed then delayed....... I have a 2006 Yukon that I want to switch as well and have been waiting since November of last year.

As far as time frame -- no one knows.

As far as you utilizing your exisiting antenna (XM) you can but you will need an adapter (you will have to make or a guy named Brian Webb(mrbrianrwebb@comcast.net) can make for you -- he is here on AVS and also on www.siriusbackstage.com

Good luck

Jeff
Old 06-05-2006, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What is the adapter for. I would like to convert my wife's Infiniti M from XM to Sirius.
Thanks
Steve
Old 06-06-2006, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

The adapter is to covert the XM antenna (connector - SMB FAKRA connector - I believe) to fit the Sirius antenna Connector (SMB RA connector - I believe) --

Jeff
Old 07-21-2006, 09:55 AM

Crutchfield has them in stock ($100), got mine yesterday.

I removed my factory XM module (2004 Envoy), I hooked it up using the included antenna, activated, and it works great!

Seamless integration with the headunit. The dot-matrix display shows "SR1" and "SR2" for the bands, instead of XM1/XM2. Display of artist/song works just as with the factory XM.

Now I just need to make/buy the adapter for the factory antenna...

EDIT (I've gotten a couple of how-to emails):

More detailed install info (took me maybe 10 minutes):

I was replacing the factory XM module with the SIR-GM1, so I already had wiring to the XM module. The SIR-GM1 comes with two cables, one for installs where you are replacing XM (a 1-foot adapter cable) and one for installs without prior XM (more complicated cable that plugs into the back of the radio).

Steps for 04 Envoy:

- Remove 2 hex screws from either side of the panel under the
glovebox. The panel will drop off; the XM module is bolted to this
panel
- Remove the antenna connector (squeeze the locking tab) and the
power/audio connector (pull out the blue locking peice, and the black
connector will pull out).
- Unbolt the XM module from the panel
- Plug the adapter cable between the factory harness and the SIR-GM1.
- Hook up the antenna (either buy/make the adapter, or use the
supplied Sirius antenna)
- Mount the unit to the plastic panel (I used 3 self tapping screws, supplied), then reinstall the panel.

I have the supplied antenna sitting on the dash until I get an adapter for the factory antenna.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Great news - I am about to order mine as well. Thanks

Jeff
Old 07-30-2006, 07:15 PM

I just got it in an 04 Yukon.. Thing is, I can't get it to display artist/track name, which an above poster says it can.. thoughts?
Old 07-30-2006, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Works fine in my 06 Yukon -- I just hit the "info" button and it toggles through the list, of course as the manual states it does not scroll for long titles/song names.

Jeff
Old 07-31-2006, 08:56 PM

Works on my Buick Rendezvous with XM to Sirius antenna convertor ($32) from mrbrianrwebb@comcast.net. It took 15 minutes to install, panells and all-with no tools.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:01 PM

Where is the xm brain behind the glove box.I'm trying to install the Sirius SIR-GM1 and I'm having a hard time locating it.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:22 AM

Scar,
What are you driving.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:52 AM

I'm really glad that these have finally hit the market and it sounds like they are really good and worth the wait. Of course, adapters still work too for converting the XM antenna to fit the Sirius antenna Connector and it's probably still cheaper at this point.

Satellite Radio Review XM and Sirius satellite radio reviews, receivers, and programming
Old 12-25-2006, 06:00 AM

Anyone know where I can purchase the converter to make the XM antenna work for Sirius on my 2006 GMC Envoy

Thanks
Old 12-25-2006, 07:12 AM

rangerrobb,
Did you try mrbrianwebb@comcast.net
Old 12-29-2006, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

have you tried taking off the fakra connector that is currently on your Envoy? and then just plug it into the SIR-GM1?

This is what worked for me on my 06 Yukon - connected for the past 4 months with no problems

Jeff
Old 01-19-2007, 10:50 AM

I'd like to convert a 2003 Chevy Impala & according to the sirius website this unit is compatible w/the vehicle. Is everything I need in the kit? I'm not sure whether or not it has had XM.

any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-19-2007, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

The kit includes the sirius unit, connector for your existing stereo and an antenna.

If you have XM in your vehicle already, you can utilize the existing antenna.

Jeff
Old 02-03-2007, 08:23 AM

Has anyone experienced an issue when using the program button on their steering wheel. It is supposed to cycle through the programmed channels. But if I go and select on the programmed channels on the actual radio unit (head unit) and then go to use the program button on my steering wheel, it doesn't proceed to the next programmed channel. For instance...

If I'm on Programmed Channel 1 and I then use the program button on the steering wheel, it will go to Programmed Channel 2.

I then don't use the program button but manually select Programmed Channel 5 by touching the 5 button on the radio head unit.

So now the channel is on 5 and I go to use the program button on the steering wheel to go to channel 6. Does it? Nope. It goes to channel number 3. I'm assuming it remembers the last time I used the button on the steering wheel. Gets kinda of annoying, especially when it goes to the same channel at times. It seems that the button on the steering wheel and the buttons on the actual head unit aren't synced. The XM didn't function like this.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I just want to know if it's something wrong with my SIR-GM1 or this is common with all. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:50 PM

I own a 2007 Yukon Denali. They say the sir-gm1 will not work in a 2007. Did anyone here ever try? Maybe there is a way??? thanx
Old 07-12-2007, 08:11 PM

the SIR-GM1 will not work in 07 and up model years because the means by which components speak to one another in the vehicle has changed. the language protocal communication the devices used to use was GM Class-2 BUS compliant, but now, all current 07+ vehicles use the updated GM-LAN Bus communication, thus making the SIR-GM1 unusable in these new model years.

there are a select few vehicles in the GM/Chevy lineup that stayed with the Class-2 Bus components in the 07 year, such as the Corvette and Silverado, but there were also some vehicles that switched mid-year 06, even though they are listed on the SIR-Gm1 compatibility chart:
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/Man.../607SIRGM1.PDF

the only good news for 07 model year owners, is that Directed did announce and display a GM-LAN compatibile device at this years CES in LasVegas, but they have made no announcement since when this device will be available for purchase.

either way, you can use the OEM GM XM antenna on the Sirius tuner for a seamless OEM installation, with no exterior parts mounted once the Sirius tuner and interface are installed.

brianrwebb@ca.rr.com
Old 08-01-2007, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Chalk up another warm body waiting on the Sirius interface. We just picked up a loaded Suburban LTZ and I was disappointed that I can't ditch XM just yet -- the rest of the nav/entertainment system is so well-integrated with the vehicle that I hate going with a separate box. Out of 48 vehicles I've owned, this is really the first that I don't absolutely hate the factory AV. I must be getting old.

Anyway, the Directed converter that Brian mentions is model GML-SC1. At CES they said it would be available in spring 2007, but apparently that isn't the case. Also on another forum somebody said they called Directed several months ago and was told it would be available in May, but clearly that isn't the case either. Here is a short blurb on the CES showing from a sat-radio blog:

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/ce...-vehicles.html

I plan to call them later today when California wakes up... 1-800-876-0800...
Old 08-01-2007, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuireV10 View Post

Chalk up another warm body waiting on the Sirius interface. We just picked up a loaded Suburban LTZ and I was disappointed that I can't ditch XM just yet -- the rest of the nav/entertainment system is so well-integrated with the vehicle that I hate going with a separate box. Out of 48 vehicles I've owned, this is really the first that I don't absolutely hate the factory AV. I must be getting old.

Anyway, the Directed converter that Brian mentions is model GML-SC1. At CES they said it would be available in spring 2007, but apparently that isn't the case. Also on another forum somebody said they called Directed several months ago and was told it would be available in May, but clearly that isn't the case either. Here is a short blurb on the CES showing from a sat-radio blog:

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/ce...-vehicles.html

I plan to call them later today when California wakes up... 1-800-876-0800...

If you don't need Howard Stern or NFL why not try XM? If it's music you're looking for I think you'll like either just the same and just give the nod to the better implementation in your car.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:39 AM

I appreciate the recommendation, but I've had XM, and it's pretty awful, in my opinion. In fact, XM is so bad that I wasn't willing to try Sirius, figuring it probably wasn't any better. Plus I have a strong personal aversion to anything remotely connected to Sony. However I bought a Dodge earlier this year that had a free Sirius subscription, and I discovered that I really like their music programming and station choices.

As for whether it's a better implementation, that's the point of the GM-SC1 and the GML-SC1 -- it provides a seamless integration into the factory head-unit. Sirius shows up just as if it was built-in. (I haven't seen it myself, but I have read about it -- and some of the things I read make it sound as if Sirius replaces XM in the interface -- not sure if that's accurate or not.)

I just talked to somebody at Directed and he said it's looking like the end of August.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:27 AM

Besides Jay Thomas is on Sirius and not XM.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzitony View Post

If you don't need Howard Stern or NFL why not try XM? If it's music you're looking for I think you'll like either just the same and just give the nod to the better implementation in your car.

I am looking for this, because we are getting a new GMC in a month or 2 and I already have a Sirius account and don't want to pay full price for an XM one. We would also like to change the inside unit and just use the head as is, like I do with my Alpine unit, no external box sitting out with wires. I guess if they merge it would be moot, but as of now I would like to be able to swap the under dash box.

Dave
Old 08-01-2007, 10:12 AM

From what I've read, if they merge it *won't* be moot. It sounds like they're going to pretend that you still need to buy hardware for one system or the other, or new hardware that can receive both. God forbid they simply add channels to both systems and make the other system's content available on the hardware you already have.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:52 AM

My comment on moot was regarding an account, I was hoping if I have a Sirius account continuing the XM in the new vehicle will be an add on not a full price, but you are probably right they would rather try and gouge me and I would just cancel the XM, cancel one of the Sirius radios and add the new vehicle as a Sirius. I hope the GM-1 comes out soon.

Dave
Old 08-01-2007, 12:24 PM

Actually, that isn't quite accurate either -- assuming what I read was correct. Even after they merge, your XM sub will still only be good for XM stations and vice versa. You'll also have some "a la carte" options -- something like $6.95/mo for 50 stations from either (if you have a scam-o-riffic dual-mode tuner) and $14.50-ish/mo for 100 stations from one. Or a full subscription to one or the other.

The merger is good for them, but as subscribers it doesn't do a whole lot for us. Well, actually I'd pay $6.95/mo and only pick a handful of Sirius stations, but that's a relatively minor benefit to come out of such a major merger.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:06 PM

thanks for the update, McGuireV10 , there certainly has been a LOT of posting on this subject today.

the GM-LAN compatible interface from Directed has been pushed back so often since its first viewing at CES, that it became ridiculous to even call and ask them anymore on an update on its release. each time you'd call you'd get a date that was in the near future, but was always further than a month out than the day you actually called them.

this equals the frustration experienced during the release of their SIR-GM1 interface which i believe missed its target date by more than a year.

here's hoping than when it finally does get released, it interacts better with the OEM equipment than the basic limited software written for the SIR-GM1.

ALSO, and some one please correct me if i am wrong, it was my understanding from reading their more recent Merger Press Release, that you could buy a'la carte channels from one service or the other, but NOT BOTH simultaneously. and that if you wanted a full channel lineup from what both services have to offer now, you would be required to buy and install new Equipment. correct?

unless they cleared new channels on XM for the braodcasting of Howard, etc.

brianrwebb@ca.rr.com
Old 08-01-2007, 04:27 PM

I read if you want a la carte you will have to buy new equipment, that isn't even made yet. I don't see how this merger helps me at all, I'll be paying the same for Sirius. I figured once they merge it will be a tier system, like cable, and cost more for what we already have. Unlike cable, I will dump Sat radio and just use iPods. As much as I like the Stern show, it doesn't have the life it once did, they seem to cruising towards retirement, and I could do without the cursing for cursing's sake. Oh well.

Dave