CD quality sound? R U SIRIUS!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 68 Old 09-19-2006, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have the sportser installed in my car, along with MB Quart speakers, pioneer head unit and Eclipse amp. This is cd quality? Sounds like AM to me. Surely I'm not the only one who isn't pleased with this quality. Bueller, Bueller. Anyjone care to weigh in on this?......I guess this is really more of a rant than anything else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 09-19-2006, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Where did you the idea Sirius was CD quality? I ask because Sirius themselves has never advertised their service as CD quality.
post #3 of 68 Old 09-20-2006, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

The sound quality is highly dependent on how the receiver is connected to your audio source.

The best quality by far is obtained using a direct line out connection.

Using an FM transmitter often results in very poor quality.
post #4 of 68 Old 09-20-2006, 07:42 AM

From what I've heard the sound quality in general is much better on XM than Sirius
post #5 of 68 Old 09-20-2006, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBrooks1 View Post

From what I've heard the sound quality in general is much better on XM than Sirius

This is another myth. I have both. Quality is comparable.
post #6 of 68 Old 09-20-2006, 08:23 AM

I have noticed that in my Acura with factory XM the sound is pretty good but in my Wrangler with Alpine head unit quality speakers and a amp the sound quality is marginal at best. I attribute this to the factory sound systems being crossed over at the high and the low end limiting the frequency band while the aftermarket gear has a more open frequency band.
post #7 of 68 Old 09-21-2006, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I have sirius, Sound quality doesn't even seem good as FM. Its like listening to Bose. No highs and no real lows.
post #8 of 68 Old 09-22-2006, 12:09 PM

fm transmitter degrades you to AM RADIO QUALITY (MONO)
post #9 of 68 Old 09-25-2006, 03:38 AM

IMO, XM sounds slightly better than Sirius, both sound bad. Not even close to a decent FM station. I knew this before I got Sirius, and it's ok.
post #10 of 68 Old 09-27-2006, 05:52 PM

Sound is decent. It's obviously not CD quality but it's not AM either. Direct method makes a huge difference. As someone mentioned, the FM modulator is mono.
post #11 of 68 Old 09-27-2006, 10:07 PM

I have an Alpine hu and the alpine XM box, I use the Ai port and the sound quality is better than FM. Remeber, friends don't let friends listen to FM.
post #12 of 68 Old 09-29-2006, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveD View Post

The sound quality is highly dependent on how the receiver is connected to your audio source.

The best quality by far is obtained using a direct line out connection.

Using an FM transmitter often results in very poor quality.

Agreed.

The silly FM transmitters ruin the signal. This obviously make sense since it's wholly device dependent. I do think that XM makes better devices however.

Both XM and Sirius have similar sound quality. These services do provide more bandwidth to music channels than talk however. The signal qualities is comparable to really good FM signal IMHO, but it's not CD quality! That's impossible considering how much stuff they're throwing down the pipe.
post #13 of 68 Old 09-29-2006, 12:25 PM

The quality is really disappointing. I have XM and when I switch to FM there is no comparison. The difference is night and day.
post #14 of 68 Old 09-29-2006, 01:50 PM

It is not CD quality for sure. As said above, if just using the FM transmitter then you won't get the full quality of the sound, however it should sound far better then AM radio, mine is better than local FM.

TheKiddd
Visit my site!
post #15 of 68 Old 09-29-2006, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Another reason why FM may seem better than satellite is that FM radio signals are highly compressed -- not compression in the digital sense, but in dynamic range. This increases the apparent volume and "punch". It is a common practice (sadly) in music today to severely compress the dynamic range of mixes because to the average listener, louder = better.

As with anything, it is highly subjective. I personally find the clean satellite signal sounds "better" than the often noisy, overly squashed FM radio signal, despite the artifacts of digital compression.

Nevertheless, sound quality has never and should never be a selling point of satellite radio.
post #16 of 68 Old 09-30-2006, 06:15 PM

Yeah, I knew the quality was nowhere near as good as cd when i purchased it with my new car. What's even worse is the bose speakers in there, combined with sirius, is almost unbearable.
post #17 of 68 Old 10-02-2006, 01:36 PM

Well I out and bought the Sirius gear and hooked it up in my Jeep (which I had XM in) and the sound quality is better without questions, less compressed, and less drop outs.

Can't really explain it at all but I'm not complaining.
post #18 of 68 Old 10-02-2006, 07:05 PM

It depends on the station as well, the talk stations do sound like am, but they also get alot less bandwidth then the music stations.

I know Stern gets more bandwidth on his show because of all the music they play.

As for the music stations, when I got sirius a little over a year ago, FM did sound a little better, but since then Sirius has made some improvements and to me they sound the same now.

I will say that I rarely ever listen to terrestrial radio anymore, but when I do the sound is about the same.

Both my cars have built in sirius headunits though so that can make a difference.
post #19 of 68 Old 10-03-2006, 08:07 AM

Sirius never claims to be CD quality. However, whatever type of sound quality you do get is going to depend upon how your receiver is connected to your audio source. If you want the highest possible quality you should either use a direct line connection or get XM instead.

Satellite Radio Review XM and Sirius satellite radio reviews, receivers, and programming
post #20 of 68 Old 10-04-2006, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBarstow View Post

...or get XM instead.

The sound quality of XM is not markedly better than Sirius.
post #21 of 68 Old 10-04-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongdog View Post

So I have the sportser installed in my car, along with MB Quart speakers, pioneer head unit and Eclipse amp. This is cd quality? Sounds like AM to me. Surely I'm not the only one who isn't pleased with this quality. Bueller, Bueller. Anyjone care to weigh in on this?......I guess this is really more of a rant than anything else

When the services launched, CD Quality was indeed part of the marketing hype. That's changed and now it's "Digital Quality". There's only so much bandwidth available and the marketing direction is to increase the number of streams to cast the biggest net possible to catch the most customers. For me, the sound is way too "digital". My fear is that when the kiddy video streams are launched, it'll take away even more sound quality from the audio channels that I like. I just wish that both of the sat services would cut the number of streams and try to compete on who has the best sound quality. If I want to listen to baseball, football, talk radio or get the weather, AM radio is good for me thank you very much!
post #22 of 68 Old 10-06-2006, 04:13 PM

Quote:

Nevertheless, sound quality has never and should never be a selling point of satellite radio.

If Satellite could boast about CD quality, or 5.1 surround mixes, don't you think that would be a great selling point? it's hard for me to listen to the 60kbps compressed music on my sirius radio.
post #23 of 68 Old 10-07-2006, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flemingljr View Post

If Satellite could boast about CD quality, or 5.1 surround mixes, don't you think that would be a great selling point? it's hard for me to listen to the 60kbps compressed music on my sirius radio.

It might be, for a select group of users, but that's not their business model. First and foremost satellite radio is designed to be put into cars where the ambient noise is so high that higher bitrates would not really make much of a perceivable difference to the average customer.

There's also a big race between the companies to provide breadth of content. That means more channels, and less bits available for each one.

The sad fact is, many users today are accustomed to listening to 128kbps MP3 files and streaming audio at low bitrates. CD quality and 5.1 surround mixes are lost on this segment of the market, which is the majority.
post #24 of 68 Old 10-07-2006, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

It might be, for a select group of users, but that's not their business model. First and foremost satellite radio is designed to be put into cars where the ambient noise is so high that higher bitrates would not really make much of a perceivable difference to the average customer.

There's also a big race between the companies to provide breadth of content. That means more channels, and less bits available for each one.

The sad fact is, many users today are accustomed to listening to 128kbps MP3 files and streaming audio at low bitrates. CD quality and 5.1 surround mixes are lost on this segment of the market, which is the majority.

BINGO!

Both services are ALL ABOUT CONTENT/CHOICE for people.

Also, the last line about people's IDEA of what sounds good being dumbed down over the last 4-5 years is absolutely correct.

Anyone 25 or younger probably has ZERO idea of what sounds good to begin with because they are use to there mp3 players/IPods.

Again, both of those are CHOICE/CONTENT, not superior sound quality, as well.

Having a ton of music/videos/whatever on the go in your pocket, for you to access any time you want.
post #25 of 68 Old 10-07-2006, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

BINGO!

Also, the last line about people's IDEA of what sounds good being dumbed down over the last 4-5 years is absolutely correct.

Anyone 25 or younger probably has ZERO idea of what sounds good to begin with because they are use to there mp3 players/IPods.

Having a ton of music/videos/whatever on the go in your pocket, for you to access any time you want.

Agreed, and honestly in a car, to me it doesnt make much difference anymore. I used to want the most perfect sound ever when I was younger, and now I reserve that for my home, the car I just want to crank it and have it sound reasonably good, I am not looking for CD quality sound, and to me it doesnt sound much worse then FM.

I think the sound quality is just fine.

People also have to remember that 90% of the market could care less if its perfect because one, they cant tell the difference, and two most people leave the OEM stereo in the car so even if the stream was better it wouldnt be realized using oem equipment anyway.
post #26 of 68 Old 10-08-2006, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the OEM stereo in the car so even if the stream was better it wouldnt be realized using oem equipment anyway.

I've had XM in my cars and my wife's cars for 4.5 years now, and I just realized something. Last week I bought a new car and I did what I always do, put in an aftermarket stereo. The car I traded in also had an aftermarket radio, AND an amp, AND good aftermarket speakers all the way around. And you know what? This new car with just the aftermarket stereo XM sounds better then my last car with the top of the line stereo set-up. I guess having an amp, and good speakers showed all the warts.
post #27 of 68 Old 10-10-2006, 08:40 PM

I have noticed that some stations sound better than others. I would describe the worst sound as "thin" and the best sound as "middle class" -- definitiely not rich like a CD.

Some broadcasts like Radio Disney (when my kids want to listen to it) sound like it is being broadcast from the bottom of a trash can over a wet string. It is awful. Very much like an AM broadcast -- and that is NOT just because of the content.

A decent sounding station is 15 Classic Rewind (if you like rock). Suprisingly, channel 80 Symphony Hall is not great at all.

- Don Woon
post #28 of 68 Old 10-11-2006, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

BINGO!

We agree on something.

I might add that the music played by the "young" generation does not require quality equipment. Just my opinion but most of the "quality" musicians of today sound more like the garage band recordings of my era. Its no wonder that todays kids don't know quality.
post #29 of 68 Old 10-11-2006, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonWoon View Post

I have noticed that some stations sound better than others.

Absolutely. They use variable bit rates based on the channel content. Talk stations get low bit rates and sound, well, your description is dead on

For Disney, I guess they figure kids won't notice the difference, and they're probably right.

The music and Howard Stern channels get the highest bit rates, but still these are not near CD quality. IMO they are comparable to 96kbps MP3 files.
post #30 of 68 Old 10-11-2006, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you want high quality sound in your car, you need to use a subscription music service like Rhapsody or Yahoo with a mobile broadband service like Sprint or Verizon.

For example, you can subscribe to Sprint Sero at $30-$49/mo with unlimited Internet + Rhapsody at $8/mo for unlimited 128Kbps streaming music, and combine that with either a notebook (using EV-DO card) or Treo 700w connected to your car's stereo using an AUX INPUT. Mobile broadband provides sufficient bandwidth to stream 256-384Kbps music files.

Of course, you need mobile broadband coverage in your area for this to work.
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page