Can you stream Sirius or XM satellite radio through the Xbox 360? If so, how? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 63 Old 12-30-2006, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I see that you can listen to Sirius and XM Satellite radio over the internet. Is there some way to use my Xbox 360 to stream Sirius and / or XM satellite radio from my home computer into my home theater system? I have two PC's (one with Media Center and one with XP), and everything is setup with Wi-Fi wireless. Ideas? Links? THANKS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 01-11-2007, 04:05 PM

Read the posts in this forum:

http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?p=18883

-- Jason
post #3 of 63 Old 01-17-2007, 11:20 AM

If you already have a Media Center then XM is already built into XBOX360 under "Online Spotlight", complete with a remote-friendly interface showing what's on every channel.

https://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...spotlight.mspx
post #4 of 63 Old 01-26-2007, 08:12 AM

Hi there,

I just started using the XM Radio Media Center software and it is fantastic. However, I'm having one big problem with it:

When I open up the XM software on my Vista Media Center PC, a 'Remember Me' checkbox is visible when I login, so I only have to enter my username/password once.

However, when I open the XM software on my XBox 360 (Media Center Extender), the login page does NOT include the 'Remember Me' checkbox. As a result, I have to enter my username/password using the XBox remote EVERY TIME I start up XM (not a pleasant experience).

Is anyone else using the XM Media Center software on their Xbox 360? If so, do you see the 'Remember Me' checkbox?

Thanks.....
post #5 of 63 Old 01-26-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warwickwebb View Post

Hi there,

I just started using the XM Radio Media Center software and it is fantastic. However, I'm having one big problem with it:

When I open up the XM software on my Vista Media Center PC, a 'Remember Me' checkbox is visible when I login, so I only have to enter my username/password once.

However, when I open the XM software on my XBox 360 (Media Center Extender), the login page does NOT include the 'Remember Me' checkbox. As a result, I have to enter my username/password using the XBox remote EVERY TIME I start up XM (not a pleasant experience).

Is anyone else using the XM Media Center software on their Xbox 360? If so, do you see the 'Remember Me' checkbox?

Thanks.....

Ya, it sucks... weird thing is i have the Media Center stuff for the old Xbox and it does save it!

Either way, what I did is changed my password to an all-numeric one that's easier to type on a remote-- that's the best I've come up with though unfortunately.
post #6 of 63 Old 01-26-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzitony View Post

Ya, it sucks... weird thing is i have the Media Center stuff for the old Xbox and it does save it!

Either way, what I did is changed my password to an all-numeric one that's easier to type on a remote-- that's the best I've come up with though unfortunately.

Wow. At least I know I'm not the only one w/ the problem. Just out of curiosity - are you using Vista Media Center, or an earlier version? Trying to figure out if that has anything to do with it, or if it is a problem with the Xbox 360.

I've contacted XM support about the problem, but I'm not hopeful. Looks like this app was written in 2004, and who knows if they plan to continue supporting it (especially since it seems to be a loophole to avoid paying for a separate subscription for your living room!).
post #7 of 63 Old 01-31-2007, 11:57 PM

Okay I have been doing some reading and being able to stream XM thru my XBOX 360 is a great thing.... Now just need to know what is needed...

I currently have my 360 setup to share music from my PC.

Is it mandatory that the PC be running Vista or Windows Media Center? I have Windows XP Pro SP2 installed currently.

I hope that its possible as I don't want to upgrade my OS just for this... But might have to.

Any help would be great!!

Cheers
Whit
post #8 of 63 Old 02-01-2007, 09:03 AM

The discussion in this thread involves an Xbox or Xbox 360 and Windows Media Center (either XP or Vista). I'm pretty sure you need Windows Media Center Edition in order to do this.
post #9 of 63 Old 02-01-2007, 12:51 PM

Thanks.... I was asking if anyone knew if it would work with XP PRO SP2.

I have seen somewhere on the web awhile ago that said it would work but they didn't have any instructions on how to make it work.

Anyone have any insight?

Cheers
Whit
post #10 of 63 Old 02-01-2007, 06:31 PM

My last wkend's project was to get this to work (I have Sirius) and after several hours, I was able to get it working WITHOUT Windows MCE (just XP sp2). TVersity.com was how I got everything working. Once you download the software there, you need to make sure you disable music sharing via WMP 11 or Zune if you have that installed. Check to see if you are able to see your computer through the xbox 360. I also installed a program called uSirius (found through the same site) that enabled me to autologon to www.sirius.com and listen through my HT system. The creator of uSirius also created a program for xm though I don't remember its name (uXM?) It's possible and way worth it so don't get frustrated and quit--good luck!
post #11 of 63 Old 02-02-2007, 01:46 PM

I am stumped on this.... I have Tversity installed on my Home PC.
My XBOX 360 can now see the CPU that has TVersity installed on it.

But still confused on how to get the XBOX to play XM?

I can play my MP3's no problem.. But am stumped on this XM stream thing...

Do I access it Under Music? Or what on the XBOX? Or do I have to go to the PC and run something in TVersity first to make it work thru my XBOX 360...

Your help would be greatly appriacted!

Cheers
Whit
post #12 of 63 Old 02-02-2007, 04:11 PM

I am stumped on this as well... can someone inform us on what to do after everything is downloaded? My 360 can't find anything sirius either.
Joe
post #13 of 63 Old 02-02-2007, 05:47 PM

Well I have been playing around with TVeristy and have had some success with streaming Xvid movies to my XBOX360..

But still no luck with XMRadio.

Check out this cool link for help with streaming Video that is not in WMV format.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/10...ion/index.html

Any help with the XM radio would be great. The set up for the XVID is pretty sweet!

Cheers
Whit
post #14 of 63 Old 02-02-2007, 10:01 PM

I appologize for the lack of documentation with uXM and uSirius. I never officially released them and I only put out a couple release candidates. I started merging them into one program, uSX?, since it's a pain to keep making changes to both.

Anyway, you need to have TVersity installed and running. Next fire up uXM or uSirius. After you login successfully, click the URLs button. Then click the feeds tab. Copy the desired feed URL to the clipboard. Now, go back to TVersity and add an Audio Feed URL using the URL you copied to the clipboard.

After a few seconds, TVersity will finish processing the feed.

As for the 360 portion, I don't have one. But here are what some other said to do:

Quote:

TVersity appears on the XBOX 360 as a computer (you may need to tell the XBOX to "connect to a different PC" if it can't find your computer), feeds appear as playlists, channels as songs.

BTW, you must always leave uSirius or uXM running. If you close the uSirius or uXM window, it will minimize to the taskbar notification area.

As for the download locations:

uSirius 1.0 RC3:

http://www.millardsoftware.com/downl...0rc3_setup.zip

uXM 1.0 RC2:

http://www.millardsoftware.com/downl...0rc2_setup.zip

Hope that helps,
-- Jason
post #15 of 63 Old 02-02-2007, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warwickwebb View Post

Wow. At least I know I'm not the only one w/ the problem. Just out of curiosity - are you using Vista Media Center, or an earlier version? Trying to figure out if that has anything to do with it, or if it is a problem with the Xbox 360.

I've contacted XM support about the problem, but I'm not hopeful. Looks like this app was written in 2004, and who knows if they plan to continue supporting it (especially since it seems to be a loophole to avoid paying for a separate subscription for your living room!).

XP Media Center 2005... I verified that the xbox360 doesn't save the information, but the Media Center for XBOX (original, not 360) will. This makes some sense though as XBOX's Media Center is "1.0" and runs it's own interface where XBOX360 is "2.0" and I believe uses more of a Remote Desktop interface... not that it shouldn't save it on the XBOX360, just that it's not the exact same extender technology as the older ones (XBOX, Linksys, etc.) so something isn't the same.

Still, frustrating... I don't use it enough to annoy me (I have an Inno) but if I did I'd certainly be a bit upset.

At least it works without all this TVersity shenanigans you need for Sirius though (and 32kbps streams with Sirius would drive me nuts, too).
post #16 of 63 Old 02-02-2007, 11:08 PM

Well I am stumped now... TVERSITY is running and I can play all my MP3 files.

I have installed uXM and have it setup and running fine on the computer that has TVersity on it...

I added the url for XM 202 and if I click on the url in the Library on the actually TVersity Pc it opens Windows Media Player and works great.

When I go over to the Xbox 360 and into Music than into Songs the Station shows up. When I say play song.... it opens up and than I get a Red circle with a line thru it. Nothing plays.

Jason any ideas? Is this an issue with my TVersity Setup? I can't see how that is the case when I am able to open it from the PC.

Cheers
Whit
post #17 of 63 Old 02-03-2007, 07:14 AM

I am using uSirius so it may be different for you, but in your setup of the xm feed, did you set it up as an rss feed rather than an audio url iin tversity? This will put it in the audio feeds when you go to look for the channel on your 360. Also, in the setup for the feed in tversity, do you have the address line added like this: http://192.168.2.142:19080/feeds/lin...?bandwidth=low with the ip address changed to yours? I didn't run into your problem when I was setting mine up so those may not fix yours--something to try, tho
post #18 of 63 Old 02-03-2007, 07:16 AM

Oh, btw, Jason--thanks so much for writing uSirius--it's so much better listening to Sirius through my HT speakers than through my cruddy laptop ones!
post #19 of 63 Old 02-03-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:

At least it works without all this TVersity shenanigans you need for Sirius though (and 32kbps streams with Sirius would drive me nuts, too).

Although not ideal, if you pay the extra ~$1 a month, and get the 129kbps Sirius subscription, it sounds tons better than XMs 64kbps channels.

-- Jason
post #20 of 63 Old 02-03-2007, 07:42 AM

Ok, I am not a computer guy at all. Obviously, so this is probably way off... but I feel like I have a settings issue with my computer. When I "Disconnect" my computer from my current 360 settings then go to the music section, it keeps seeing my old setup. No tversity. I have tversity sharing with the 360, and already cut and pasted the url. So that is why i am concluding there is a settings issue. If anyone has some additional thoughts..? Btw, thank for this great program, I think it will be great once i get this going.
J
post #21 of 63 Old 02-03-2007, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit27 View Post

Jason any ideas? Is this an issue with my TVersity Setup? I can't see how that is the case when I am able to open it from the PC.

You might want to try using the feed url like Toddo97 said. Since I don't have a 360, I can't tell you for sure.

BTW, uXM and uSirius are pretty much identical applications. They just have different logic for signing in and fetching the lineups.

Toddo97,
No problem. I'm glad you like it!! I use it everday with my SoundBridge Radio, and my vintage MP101.

I just picked up a WMLS11B for $28 so hopefully I'll be able to put it out in the garage.

-- Jason
post #22 of 63 Old 02-03-2007, 07:48 AM

Ok, I am not a computer guy at all. Obviously, so this is probably way off... but I feel like I have a settings issue with my computer. When I "Disconnect" my computer from my current 360 settings then go to the music section, it keeps seeing my old setup. No tversity. I have tversity sharing with the 360, and already cut and pasted the url. So that is why i am concluding there is a settings issue. If anyone has some additional thoughts..? Btw, thank for this great program, I think it will be great once i get this going.
J
post #23 of 63 Old 02-03-2007, 08:06 AM

Make sure you turn off sharing with windows media player and/or zune--the 360 will only see tversity or the others. Once you turn off sharing and disconnect from the 360, you should be able to add the new tversity connection
post #24 of 63 Old 02-03-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddo97 View Post

Make sure you turn off sharing with windows media player and/or zune--the 360 will only see tversity or the others. Once you turn off sharing and disconnect from the 360, you should be able to add the new tversity connection

Hey Todd, stupid question, but how do you turn wm11 completely off? Is it a library, media sharing issue? Because, I entered deny for the xbox360. Not sure if that is right... i'm guessing that is not.
Joe
post #25 of 63 Old 02-03-2007, 09:01 AM

Go into options on wmp11 and go to the Library tab. Click on the Configure Sharing button and make sure the Share My Media box is unchecked. Hopefully you had it checked and that just fixed your problem! Also, I'm sure you already tried, but reboot your pc and xbox.
post #26 of 63 Old 02-03-2007, 09:06 AM

Actually, rereading you post, you may have already done that although I'm not seeing anything to specifically deny a pc or device
post #27 of 63 Old 02-03-2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm174 View Post

Although not ideal, if you pay the extra ~$1 a month, and get the 129kbps Sirius subscription, it sounds tons better than XMs 64kbps channels.

-- Jason

It's actually an additional 2.99 a month. You can get full 128kbps (AAC format) streaming of XM's channels on AOL radio if you are a subscriber, which definitely rivals (if not exceeds) SIR's 128kbps WMA streaming format.
post #28 of 63 Old 02-03-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:

It's actually an additional 2.99 a month. You can get full 128kbps (AAC format) streaming of XM's channels on AOL radio if you are a subscriber, which definitely rivals (if not exceeds) SIR's 128kbps WMA streaming format.

Oh boy here we go. Lets turn the forum into an XM vs Sirius debate... And that's exactly why I made two versions!

Besides, can AOL Radio be streamed to your Xbox 360 or other uPnP media devices?
post #29 of 63 Old 02-03-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm174 View Post

Oh boy here we go. Lets turn the forum into an XM vs Sirius debate... And that's exactly why I made two versions!

Besides, can AOL Radio be streamed to your Xbox 360 or other uPnP media devices?

With Tversity, maybe... I'm not famiar with Tversity as I have a full-blown Media Center network and it's built in (not AOL radio, regular) and I use an Inno everywhere isntead of the online stuff, anyway.

I was just pointing out, since XM doesn't advertise it and most people don't realize if you have a subscription to AOL radio, you get all the XM channels at 128kbps AAC, which apparently sounds amazing (better than DirecTV apparently from what I've read--I don't have that either).

And ofcourse the pricing was incorrect so I corrected that as well since they don't advertise the pricing for current subscribers on their website--only the $12.95/mo for new subscribers (same as their hardware-based service) and $1 and $3 is a pretty significant difference. We wouldn't want disappointed consumers, now, would we?
post #30 of 63 Old 02-03-2007, 10:07 PM

I use uSirius for my Roku and tried it with my 360 tonight - works great! Just make it an audio feed in TVersity.
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page