Sirius music needs improvement - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 79 Old 01-31-2008, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Who cares how deep Sirius's playlist is when 99% of their channels are so compressed that they are nearly UNLISTENABLE. I mean I've heard better quality 56 kbps mp3s in 1997 when I was downloading from the original Napster.

Stern 100 and 101 are the ONLY channels given enough bandwidth to sound decent - and music on Stern doesn't even sound that great.

Mel Karmazin should 1) cut the number of stations in half 2) allocate twice as much bandwidth for each station and 3) vary the programming on each station more.

This is what happens when a CEO lets the marketing department have too much say within a corporation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 79 Old 01-31-2008, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjuice View Post

Who cares how deep Sirius's playlist is when 99% of their channels are so compressed that they are nearly UNLISTENABLE. I mean I've heard better quality 56 kbps mp3s in 1997 when I was downloading from the original Napster.

Stern 100 and 101 are the ONLY channels given enough bandwidth to sound decent - and music on Stern doesn't even sound that great.

Mel Karmazin should 1) cut the number of stations in half 2) allocate twice as much bandwidth for each station and 3) vary the programming on each station more.

This is what happens when a CEO lets the marketing department have too much say within a corporation.

what unit do you have and how is it hooked up?

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

post #63 of 79 Old 01-31-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:

...their channels are so compressed that they are nearly UNLISTENABLE. I mean I've heard better quality 56 kbps mp3s in 1997 when I was downloading from the original Napster...

Couldn't have said it better.... I completely agree with that.

Mark
XBox 360 Gamertag: Y2KFirehawk
post #64 of 79 Old 01-31-2008, 01:43 PM

I agree it is highly compressed and actually I think the talk stations are compressed more than the music.

Quality varies by channel.

I do hope it improves to at least 320 kpbs which is manageable in a moving noisy environment like a car( maybe a luxury car would have a lower noise floor)

You can hear the metallic sounding streaming on a lot of channels.
post #65 of 79 Old 02-01-2008, 06:20 PM
dj9
Advanced Member

Of course the talk channels are more compressed than the music channels... Sirius allegedly uses 4.4 megabits per second total.
post #66 of 79 Old 03-01-2008, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Merger or not, I think satellite radio will be doomed when mobile internet streaming becomes more mainstream. Not meant to be a commercial, but sites like RadioIO have much better music selection and better sound quality than the satellite delivery. Sirius' 128K streams sound good too, but that's a $3 increase in the monthly bill.
post #67 of 79 Old 03-03-2008, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2KFirehawk View Post

Couldn't have said it better.... I completely agree with that.

Quit yer whining. Go bitch at the FCC for only alloting satrad a tiny sliver of bandwidth. You want 320kbps? You'd only fit 12 channels in the entire spectrum. Wow... That would really sell!!! Pay $13 a month for 3 talk channels, 3 news channels, 3 sports channels, and 3 music channels!!! Hey but they sounds reall really good.. I swear!!

My radio sounds good, not great, but good... pretty amazing considering how much excellent content they are piping down such a small pipe.
post #68 of 79 Old 03-03-2008, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubSteeler View Post

Quit yer whining. Go bitch at the FCC for only alloting satrad a tiny sliver of bandwidth. You want 320kbps? You'd only fit 12 channels in the entire spectrum. Wow... That would really sell!!! Pay $13 a month for 3 talk channels, 3 news channels, 3 sports channels, and 3 music channels!!! Hey but they sounds reall really good.. I swear!!

My radio sounds good, not great, but good... pretty amazing considering how much excellent content they are piping down such a small pipe.

I don't want or expect 320kps, well maybe when they said they were CD quality.

What I do want is 128kps, and I don't think that is unreasononable to ask.
Some of the stuff I heard recently sounded like 56-64kps. I switch over to the FM side and it sounds 10 times better, that shouldn't happen.
post #69 of 79 Old 03-03-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller View Post

I don't want or expect 320kps, well maybe when they said they were CD quality.

What I do want is 128kps, and I don't think that is unreasononable to ask.
Some of the stuff I heard recently sounded like 56-64kps. I switch over to the FM side and it sounds 10 times better, that shouldn't happen.

First off, don't assume satrad coding equals mp3 sampling. Channels at 40 or 50 kbps sound much better than a 40kbps MP3.

So.. The talk channels are wayyyyyyy compressed. You can't squeeze any more out of them, not would you want to because it's just not freeing up much bandwidth.

So, for all of the SQ whiners, if you want a measly 20kbps more per music channel, you have to agree to give up approx 20 or more MUSIC channels to do so. From a business standpoint, I don't think that's too wise.

Nothing else out there offers content that can beat satrad, but there are thousands of devices out there that can deliver CD quality music. Satrad is not in the business of catering to the audiophiles, that was a direct quote from Mel K.

If you want CD quality..... BUY A CD. They've been around for 30 years. If you want 150 channels of satrad, then deal with what the FCC has given them, and hope for a successful merger and eventually the elimination of redunduncy, freeing up bandwidth, allowing improved sound quality. This won't happen for years. In fact SQ might deteriorate again to make room for the 11 channel "Best Of" a la carte packages.

I was initally very upset with satrad SQ. Then I switched from XM to Sirius and that was an improvement. Then I went from FM to cassette adapter. Another improvement. Then I got a stereo with AUX input and very good graphic EQ, and I've been pretty happy with SQ.. not thrilled, but not bad.
post #70 of 79 Old 03-03-2008, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Are the direct and delayed streams equal in bitrate? If so maybe they could compromise the delayed stream to help out the direct one. Adding SBR to the PAC as HD radio does should help too.
post #71 of 79 Old 03-04-2008, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Unfortunately the marketing department is right.

Fact is, only a small percentage of customers care about the quality. Most don't notice.

Ask satellite customers if it sounds better than FM, I guarantee you the vast majority would say yes.

Sure, we know better, but we are a minority.

If XM and Sirius decided to cut channels in order to boost the quality of other channels, they will lose customers.

The best hope is that the companies merge and combine the spectrum. Eliminating redundant channels would immediately free up lots of bandwidth to increase the quality of other channels. However, this is years away because new receivers will be required. Even if this happens, they might just reserve the freed bandwidth for other applications rather than increase the audio quality of existing channels.
post #72 of 79 Old 03-06-2008, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveD View Post

Even if this happens, they might just reserve the freed bandwidth for other applications rather than increase the audio quality of existing channels.

Like video services. 17+ million buy it now with the subpar satellite audio quality. It would be great if Sirius could match their internet quality but I don't hold much hope.
post #73 of 79 Old 03-07-2008, 05:29 AM

I don't think sacrificing content for sound quality will ever be their direction, and I agree. There are hundreds of options where I can listen to CD quality music, including CDs. There's nothing else that can provide all of this content through 1 outlet.

Last night I was lifting weights, and wanted to listen to something different. I was going to put on some Blues for a change-up. However, everytime I took a peek at what was on my favorite channels, there was always a song that on that gets me fired up. My dial never made it to the blues. Just too much great music on so many channels. It was difficult to fight the urge to sing along and concentrate on not dropping a barbell on my head. Add Howard, NFL, Ferrall, etc... I'll gladly deal with the current sound quality rather than give any of the content up.
post #74 of 79 Old 09-18-2008, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What I don't understand is when they do these, why do they still play a lot of that artist on other channels? Was there a need to change the punk channel to AC/DC instead of the many other channels? 19 would have been just fine as AC/DC is one of the few acts I actually like on that channel.

I am not against them. Sometimes I actually prefer them(the ABBA format was much preferable to whatever crap was being played on that love songs station - 3 or 4, i forget).

What's worse is when they play a lot of Elvis and Springsteen on the other channels. I do not associate Springsteen's latest album cuts to be compatible with garage rock(25). I like all the artists involved in this discussion. But the overkill gets annoying when they are played on other stations.

Now I can tolerate that if they mix it up on these one artist stations. Why not include covers of Springsteen songs on E Street Radio? Same with Elvis radio. Play the Elvis and then Dead Kennedys version of Viva Las Vegas back to back. Play Cover Me and then some Springsteen cover(Tegan and Sara covered Dancing inthe Dark, Frankie Goes to Hollywood covered Born to Run) on E Street 10?

Actually a COVERS station in general would be fun. Play the original back to back with one or more covers.

I think 21 needs an infusion of more eclectic new music. A lot of the new music is kind of dull on that. They still play some good songs, but not enough considering they are the new rock station. I frequently end up on 22.
post #75 of 79 Old 09-18-2008, 10:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
They killed the Punk channel?

Well, that about kills any chance of me ever having them again.
post #76 of 79 Old 09-19-2008, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

I don't think they killed the punk channel. Just a temporary thing, I assume, kind of like the ABBA, THe Who, The Rolling Stones 24/7 deals in the past.

Speaking of the punk channel, I wish they would liven up the music on that channel. include some catchier tunes.
post #77 of 79 Old 09-19-2008, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Yeah, there's always room for improvement - and that goes for every channel - but I'd still hate to see it go. I do like having it there when I'm in a flipping around mood.

I really don't understand that "all-one band" format sometimes. As much as I might like some bands, there's really none that I'd want to listen to 24 hours a day. I think a couple-hour show on one channel no more than a couple of days a week would be plenty. Especially in the case of Sirius, which tends to repeat songs a lot.
post #78 of 79 Old 10-07-2008, 08:30 AM

4.4 megabit/s comes to about 16kbit/s for the talk stations, and 48 kbit/s for the music stations. No wonder it sounds like crap. (Assumptions: 150 channels, with a 50% split.)

European DAB (digital audio broadcast) has similar problems, since DAB streams are only 1000 kbit/s wide, which limits channels to 96 or 128 wide. Worse: DAB uses MP2 (no not a typo) which often means music has to be transmitted as monoaural! In order ot fix these problems, the european governments are changing to codec to AACplusSBR, but of course that means customers have to buy new radios.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantar View Post

Other than the very average sound quality, the thing that pisses me off is the music is not that much varied over your typical FM radio playlist.

Sounds like a good reason NOT to buy satellite radio. I listen to XM via AOL Radio, and I've noticed the same flaw - it's basically the same music I can hear, for free, from AM or FM stations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantar View Post

Only reason I am considering Sirius lifetime is I plan on holding on to the car for 4 or 5 years and then selling it. When I sell it, it might be a minor selling point to say you already got a lifetime of satellite radio for no fees.

So you'll lose about $10,000 (versus original purchase price), and you want to spend an extra ~$200 for lifetime service because it might, maybe, perhaps boost the sale price a few more pennies.

Oooo-kay. That makes no sense whatsoever. I'd just keep the whole car, and drive it till it starts rusting, rather than sell it to somebody else for a loss.
post #79 of 79 Old 10-09-2008, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

That was just a thought. No big deal. I didn't get lifetime just for that reason alone. I will just transfer it for 75 bucks.

Is there any Sirius station that plays that Chris Isaak type music (not the ballads, but the swamp rockabilly type stuff). You know like the True Blood theme song by Jace Everett. I like that kind of music too and you do not get to hear that stuff on regular radio.

Why does Sirius play Springsteen and Elvis on other stations when they already got 24/7 stations for them?

A lot of the rock played on 25 is not really garage rock sounding stuff.

I think ads on tv have exposed me to more interesting music than satellite radio. Like that Geico motorcycle ad. Sirius 21 could be more fun to listen to if their programmers just loosen up a bit.

Is it technically feasible for satellite radio to display tracks playing on a favorite list that can scroll across your display? That would be a cool feature to add.
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page