XM - Totally Lost - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-25-2007, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I've checked all 5 pages of posts in this area of the boards and looked at XM411.com for some information (those are about all the sites I can go to from work) and I'm still kind of lost. I went on a short road trip this weekend with a friend who had XM radio and I loved it. Normally I use my Ipod in my car hooked up through an FM transmitter but sometimes you want someone else to DJ. So my question is, what do I need to do to be able to listen to XM in my car? (2003 Alero, but I don't want to replace any of the existing stereo equipment) I've been reading up a little on the SkyFi 2, 3 and Inno and it seems like there is no "winner" between the two. Also, whatever I buy, would I be able to use it at home hooked up to my receiver? Thanks and I look forward to your advice!

Nathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2007, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

you can use any of those three hooked up at home, the difference is in their focus. The Skyfis are designed specifically for easy in-car use, while the Inno and SkyFi3 are designed for varying degrees of portable use. Your decision is pretty much based on what your primary goals are:

Listening live in the car: SkyFi2. Pros: Large display and large, easy controls, 30 minute pause buffer. Cons: large unit, difficult to use portable without the skyfi boombox. Must be in a cradle to function.

Listening live in the car, and recording content to listen to later in any location: SkyFi3. Pros: Large display, some controls to make in-car use easier, 70-minute pause buffer + 10 hours recording, MicroSD slot for MP3s, recording schedules, battery portable. Cons: no live XM reception when undocked without additional equipment (antenna headphones + larger battery pack), limited recording time.

Listening live on the go, and recording content to listen to later in any location: Inno. Pros: color display, self-contained portable live XM reception, 30-minute (I believe) pause buffer, recording schedules, 50 hours XM or 25 hours XM + 512MB MP3s. Cons: small display, no direct tune controls (even on cradle), no extra storage option for MP3s, choosing to have some MP3s cuts XM recording time in half.

Any of these can be used in the car via an FM modulator, either XM's crappy sureconnect, or you can use the far-superior FM Direct adapter. This is what I do with my SkyFi3.

Silence is Golden. Duct Tape is Silver.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

If you've decided on the SkyFi2, buy it today. You won't find a deal anywhere near this again.

Silence is Golden. Duct Tape is Silver.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post

If you've decided on the SkyFi2, buy it today. You won't find a deal anywhere near this again.

wow, great deal.

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*