Most Powerful Sirius FM X-Mitter? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-26-2007, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anybody out there know which currently-available Sirius radio has the most powerful FM transmitter? I'd been using a Sanyo CRSR-10 whose transmitter was so strong I could pick it up on every radio in my house, and even on my car's radio while it was parked in the driveway. When I actually used the radio in the car, I never had any trouble hitting an unused or weak FM station - the thing would overpower all but the strongest local stations.

Well, that radio just up-and-died last week, right in the middle of a channel change. Now I have to shop for a new radio, but I know from experience with other more-recently available radios that the FM power has been considerably reduced (assumedly to keep civilaization from tottering and falling if, by chance, some nearby car might happen to pick up an unwelcome millisecond of Howard Stern).

Anybody know of any radios out there with serious FM gusto? Are any of the older radios available anywhere? I'd even buy another CRSR-10 (even though it was a piece of junk overall) just for the FM power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-03-2007, 08:23 PM

I've got the Clarion Calypso and it has a very strong transmitter.
I live in an apartment, but I've read user reviews that confirm it will transmit
from inside a house into backyard.
It's an older design that predates the current concern for intruding on other's
listening.
The unit itself is nicely designed, very solid and a good looking display.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-04-2007, 03:06 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
i have the JVC KT-SR1000, one of those big old giant original radios and the FM transmitter is very strong

the FM transmitter in my new starmate sucks

the first thing i learned back in 2004 when i bought my first sirius radio is that you have to take the am/fm antenna off of your car and you will get much better reception from your sirius radio to your fm tuner

but anyway, I could park my car in the driveway with my JVC and pick up the FM signal inside my house on my home stereo, that's how good it is

i think the FCC cracked down on both sirius and xm with the output of the FM modulators

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-07-2007, 03:12 AM

Help me understand otk.

Remove the antenna on your car?? Wazz-up with that? I've just installed [placed] an INNO in my car and all I did was take the Sure connect clip, clipped it to the antenna lead and life is good. thanks K_C
post #5 of 12 Old 07-07-2007, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Removing the antenna helps lessen the interference from the FM stations when you're using a FM modulator. Some areas/cities if there are many FM stations around the FM mod station you are using those stations might bleed over. If you're not getting any interference then it's not necessary to remove your antenna.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-07-2007, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Since the FCC has cracked down on the FM transmitters from both satellite companies, you might want to consider an external FM transmitter.

CCrane has one that is powerful out of the box, but can be made more powerful by opening it up and turning a single knob.

I use the XM online stream in my house. I have on of the CCrane FM transmitters connected to the PC that the stream plays on. I can hear it on any radio in the house and can hear it on my car radio as far as 100 feet down the block.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-07-2007, 07:54 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie845 View Post

Removing the antenna helps lessen the interference from the FM stations when you're using a FM modulator. Some areas/cities if there are many FM stations around the FM mod station you are using those stations might bleed over. If you're not getting any interference then it's not necessary to remove your antenna.

yeah, on my truck it's easy, the am/fm antenna just screws off and i can screw it back on when i want old fashion radio which is very rare

i think i was the one who discovered this trick, or at least i discovered it on my own and started posting about it. i even called into one of the talk shows on sirius to give out the tip and they never heard of it and said i was nuts

anyway, if anyone came up with this idea before october of 04, i give you full credit

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-09-2007, 04:43 PM

I've just invested in one from mobileblackbox. I looked into the CCrane fm mod snd like the tweek to boost output, but this seems to have that built in. Nice looking unit and accessories included. K_C
post #9 of 12 Old 01-17-2010, 02:06 PM

I have had older sirius radios and xm and yes they were way better as far a fm transmitters go. i currently use the first Starmate from sirius. Its pretty strong. I drive tractor trailer and friends can be behind me upto about 100yds and still hear my radio clear as any radio station. But I do also have a Stiletto 2 that is useless to use its fm transmitter.

What I have found to work is just using something as simple a Mp3 fm transmitter like thay sell a walmart. The first one that I had got was just simply to see if it would work and Ik got it at a store called "5 and below".
Yes it cost me $5 and I pluged it right into my headphone jack. It was crystal clear!! I was Then curious how strong it was so I turned my old sirius on (the one with the stronger fm transmitter) and well that little old $5 mp3 fm transmitter was way stronger! I could not even hear my old Sirius! I guess the FCC dont pay much attention to all of those makers, sirius/xm is an easy one to pick on. I have since bought a transmitter from walmart for I think it was $35 and its made alot better and yes it works just as good.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-20-2012, 05:26 AM

On the subject of a Sirius radio with a kickass FM transmitter-my old Starmate model #ST2R was the best I have ever heard. I have about 10 acres most of it wooded with 2 houses and a barn.All of the building are over 300ft away from each other . I NEVER found a place on my property where I couldn't get signal -even in any of the other buildings!-most of the time using an old Sony AM/FM/WB/TV Walkman Model#SRF M37V.I could even listen inside my backhoe , Excavators, and Dozers-all with full ROPS and fully enclosed and climate controlled cabs. I never even had a dock for the thing-just sat it there on the window sill and plugged the antennae and power cord in and it was like having me own radio station. I don't know if this kind of transmitter performance was typical for the ST2Rs or if its a fluke-and I don't even care I just want it back!. Well about 2 months ago-my starmate Model#ST2R up and died on me and its been misery ever since. I'm afraid if I could find another of the same model (refurb I suppose) the FM transmitter may be turned down..due to FCC regs. Does anyone fix these radios?I would pay good money to have this old beat up baby back in service .Otherwise I'm gonna have to figure out a way to record Howard to an MP3 player-so I can listen to it in the same places I used to.-Mourning and Mad in Pittsburgh
post #11 of 12 Old 05-20-2012, 05:33 AM

On the subject of a Sirius radio with a kickass FM transmitter-my old Starmate model #ST2R was the best I have ever heard. I have about 10 acres most of it wooded with 2 houses and a barn.All of the building are over 300ft away from each other. I NEVER found a place on my property where I couldn't get signal-most of the time using an old Sony AM/FM/WB/TV Walkman Model#SRF M37V.I could even listen inside my backhoe , Excavators, and Dozers-all with full ROPS and fully enclosed and climate controlled cabs. I never even had a dock for the thing-just sat it there on the window sill and plugged the antennae and power cord in and it was like having me own radio station. I don't know if this kind of transmitter performance was typical for the ST2Rs or if its a fluke-and I don't even care I just want it back!. Well about 2 months ago-my starmate Model#ST2R up and died on me and its been misery ever since. I'm afraid if I could find another of the same model (refurb I suppose) the FM transmitter may be turned down..due to FCC regs. Does anyone fix these radios?I would pay good money to have this old beat up baby back in service .Otherwise I'm gonna have to figure out a way to record Howard to an MP3 player-so I can listen to it in the same places I used to.-Mourning and Mad in Pittsburgh
post #12 of 12 Old 05-20-2012, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had the same problem when I got my Xmp3i. What I got was the fail safe long range fm transmitter from Amazon & I can listen througout the yard & about a 1/2 mile in each direction. It's been great.
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page