New to XM: why bad sound? and can't see remote - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-27-2007, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Brand new to XM, curious, why bad sound? i'ts not receiver, my FM sounds fine, and it's not reception, reception is ok. It's just muted bad sound? any ideas? (or its just the way it is?) I have the Samsung Nexus, but my guess is it's not that either.

Also, the screen is so small and there is no screen on the remote -- so from across the room, there is no way to know what's going on --any units solve that? thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-27-2007, 08:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Inadequate channel bandwidth. If they had fewer channels, each would sound better. That's why I gave up on it.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #3 of 12 Old 06-27-2007, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

thanks you Kal.
So it's not my unit, etc. I't's just the way it is. Everyone hears XM like I am? Just sounds like the worst muddy MP3 or something bad.

Sirius is better? I was going to go with them first, but they said with them you cannot hear the music through your stereo (ie via rca cables), that its just for car or on the go.
post #4 of 12 Old 06-27-2007, 08:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Dunno. My only experience was with an XM receiver plugged into a Denon AVR which otherwise sounded fairly good. I found the XM sounded compressed and veiled.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #5 of 12 Old 06-28-2007, 07:38 AM

Quantity over Quality.

They've decided that 170 channels was where they wanted to be, at the risk of dropping audio quality.

Let me share this though.. I have Sirius, and I think it sounds good, but certainly not great. I do believe that it is noticable better than XM though (my car came with XM and I converted to Sirius). I am happy though. In the car, I got a new radio, it's a Sony XPLOD that has built in graphic EQ settings and an AUX input port. The Aux sound is way better than FM Mod. It was only $99 at Walmart. When I set the EQ to XPLOD and sue the AUX input, it really amps up the end frequencies, both hi and lo freqs. This really makes sat radio sound better. Seems to me that that the sat radio sound is very much mid-range sound with the hi and lo freqs getting cut off. A little graphic equalization can go a long way.

You'll never get CD quality, but you can improve on some of weaknesses of the channel.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-28-2007, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Sirius is no better the XM, or vise versa. They both compress to transmit as many channels as possible. XM has more channels, but now Sirius is dipping into the video field.

Neither SQ is very good.

But the content can't be beat.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-28-2007, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie845 View Post

But the content can't be beat.

I didn't care for that, either. (I like classical and the dumb announcers talked too much and said too little.)

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #8 of 12 Old 07-20-2007, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I had the XM receiver plugged into my main sound system. I listened to it once, and ran screaming from the room.

After building a new PC with Intel HD audio in it, I plugged the XM receiver into the PC sound input.

Voila. It sounded wonderful.

I believe the main principle here is that if you use something in your system that is significantly worse than the rest of the system, it's just going to sound real bad. Using PC motherboard audio, playing Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 speakers (quite good for PC speakers) and the XM receiver ... equalizes the quality out a bit.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-20-2007, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I was wondering about this also...I thought it was my receiver but im glad is them..lol
post #10 of 12 Old 07-21-2007, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

I was going to go with them first, but they said with them you cannot hear the music through your stereo (ie via rca cables), that its just for car or on the go.

Who said that? That is the biggest lie around. All you have to do is take a look at Sirius website or Best Buy. You can get a plug and play receiver, component tuners or the Onkyo Home Theater receivers with the built in tuner. All plug and play receivers have 1/8 mini plug out and come with a 1/8 mini plug -> RCA L+R cable and can be attached to a stereo or home theater receiver.

I have both XM and Sirius, both at home and in my SUV. I used to use plug and play receivers for both XM and Sirius at home. Now I just have a Sportster 4 for Sirius and my new Sony HT receiver has a built in XM tuner. At this point in time, doing A-B comparisons Sirius sounds richer and slightly better then XM for music programming, but I enjoy the content on both and will never give either up.

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.2.0_11
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0807, HR24-200 Running 0802

post #11 of 12 Old 07-21-2007, 07:42 PM

Liked: 11
I've been using XM and Sirius on and off for years. We have a XM direct into our Jeep Wrangler and it sounds nowhere near as good as FM but heck, have you driven a Wrangler at highway speeds, sound quality is not an issue. On my Benz I have Aux In on my factory nav and with a ground loop isolator and some tone knob tweaking you can get to about 90% as good as FM but I find I'll spend half the time listening to the comedy channel and when listing to music, the slight hit on sound quality is worth it to not have to listen to commute time commercials. It does not sound that good at all through an FM transmitter but it works. I complained about sound quality not being as good as FM and that got me banned from xmfan.com, the largest XM forum, haha...

As for Sirius vs. XM, I find XM is more consistant on sound quality an Sirius has some channels that sound better than others. Same with programming, there's channels I like better on Sirius and some better on XM. Customer service is equal to me. Overall they average out. Isn't it one company yet?
post #12 of 12 Old 07-21-2007, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Isn't it one company yet?

Nope, far from it and hopefully never. The FCC is set to make a ruling on the merger in the begging to mid December. XM and Sirius are two totally spate companies, and hopefully, they will stay that way.

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.2.0_11
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0807, HR24-200 Running 0802

Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page