Please help with antenna issue!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-18-2007, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently installed an RG6 cable from my receiver to my attic for an FM antenna. This was done when the walls were open during construction.

Now the wife wants to hook up Sirius to our Onkyo rec.

Would I be able to use the one RG6 for both Sirius and FM reception????

Or will I need another RG6???

I've thought of using the indoor/outdoor antennas, but I don't know how good the reception will be. Anybody have any experiences with these???

Thanks for replying in advance.

Ty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-19-2007, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

I guess no one has run into this issue before. Thanks for the help.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-19-2007, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm! Your problem seems to be the same as mine! Assuming you caught my post.

What does the antenna connection for your Sirius receiver look like?

Mine is a house adapter for my car Sirius receiver.

It has a small connector for the antenna and I am clueless if I could adapt it to RG6.

I am not sure if you can merge the FM Signal and the Sirius signal on the same Coax.

I think I will post your question and mine on some other forums and see what I can find out.

_DonB2
post #4 of 6 Old 08-06-2007, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

lippavisual,

I did see this post on a site selling XM and Sirius antenna extenders:

"Please note that some signal loss may occur and for extended runs over 50 feet, a signal amplifier is recommended. Satellite Radio signals require their own cable and cannot be used on the same cable as Cable TV, Satellite TV, or any other service."

Not sure if i can post the URL or not to the site but will try:

http://www.myradiostore.com/xm-signa...g-adapter.html

-DonB2
post #5 of 6 Old 08-08-2007, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippavisual View Post

I recently installed an RG6 cable from my receiver to my attic for an FM antenna. This was done when the walls were open during construction.

Now the wife wants to hook up Sirius to our Onkyo rec.

Would I be able to use the one RG6 for both Sirius and FM reception????

Or will I need another RG6???

I've thought of using the indoor/outdoor antennas, but I don't know how good the reception will be. Anybody have any experiences with these???

Thanks for replying in advance.

Ty

Probably possible. Sirius is around 2.3GHz and FM around 100MHz. You would need a couple of splitters (use one as a combiner) that can handle these frequencies. A normal TV cable splitter would not work. Even with this you would lose about half of your signal strength due to the splitter. This could necessitate an amplifier for your Sirius antenna.

I have Terk XM antenna (similar frequency to Sirius ) in my attic connected via RG6 cable. This antenna is supposed to work outside only. I get maximum signal strength through a tile roof.

If you kind find all the required connectors, I wouldn't be afraid to experiment.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-08-2007, 05:39 PM

I am a Directv user but also have an OTA set up completely separate from the sat-tv { no diplex`s etc.} My OTA is set up with a duel splitter that divides the upstairs TV from the family room TV down in the basement. My question could I get a triple style diplexer/splitter have the two OTA`s and the Sirius antenna all attached outside the house and use splitter from the inside connection to the TV {wall jack} and split the signal that way to both TV and sat-radio receiver. Right now my outside has 1 -in and 2-out jacks on the diplexer and I ran another splitter prior to the basement being finished to get an OTA signal down there. I now have no access to that one because of the construction/drywall etc.I hope I explained that easy enough for you to understand but my sat-lingo is not the best. Basically what I`m asking could one split an OTA only feed with a Sirius antenna and it would work if all it hooked up correctly or not be compatible at all. I did fail to mention my sat-antenna is the 5 lnb slimline version with a Zinwell {I think its called} switch box and also have the b-band coverters attached as well if that has any bearing on a alternative solution. Thanks in advance for any help with this matter !!!!!!!!!
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page