XM subscription renewal time again...any discount codes? - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #271 of 501 Old 05-06-2011, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had been on a 3 months for $20 plan and just got hit with a $112 charge to my CC for what was apparently 6 months + online. That's just too much for me to justify spending so I called and said I would stay on and extend my term to a year if they'd do the $77 price. I got transferred a few times but finally got a rep who was happy to help.

It probably helped that I was genuinely ready to cancel if they didn't offer that deal or something similar.

I did cancel my $3/month online subscription...used to use it on my phone but lately hasn't been working too well.

Edit: I would be willing to pay the full price if the audio quality was on par with my mp3 collection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 501 Old 05-06-2011, 10:55 AM

I'm confused. I see lots of deals being made, but I have no idea what package is being renewed. My subscription is up this coming Monday and I'm trying to get some info of what I can do.
I have Sirius, and it looks as if there are two packages to choose from (Premiere & Select.)
So, I would appreciate it if along with the renewal price that people are posting, if you would also specify what package is being renewed. . .

Thanks,

Eneg
post #273 of 501 Old 05-06-2011, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepants View Post

I had been on a 3 months for $20 plan and just got hit with a $112 charge to my CC for what was apparently 6 months + online. That's just too much for me to justify spending so I called and said I would stay on and extend my term to a year if they'd do the $77 price. I got transferred a few times but finally got a rep who was happy to help.

It probably helped that I was genuinely ready to cancel if they didn't offer that deal or something similar.

I did cancel my $3/month online subscription...used to use it on my phone but lately hasn't been working too well.

Edit: I would be willing to pay the full price if the audio quality was on par with my mp3 collection.

Next time just say you need the online portion included. I've been getting it added for free ever since they started charging extra for it.

post #274 of 501 Old 05-15-2011, 11:32 AM

Got the $77 deal. All I did was tell the guy that I was interested but only if it was really cheap.
post #275 of 501 Old 05-18-2011, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Just renewed my other car that was coming off of a 5 month promo. They said they no longer offer the 5 month deal or the 6 months for $29 deal. What they now offer is 50% off regular price. I ended up getting the $77 for a year deal which is 50% off the regular price. They also have the same thing for six months, but it costs more per month since the regular six month price is higher.

post #276 of 501 Old 05-18-2011, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Just renewed my other car that was coming off of a 5 month promo. They said they no longer offer the 5 month deal or the 6 months for $29 deal. What they now offer is 50% off regular price. I ended up getting the $77/month for a year deal which is 50% off the regular price. They also have the same thing for six months, but it costs more per month since the regular six month price is higher.

I'm just going to say it: $77/month is WAY too expensive for satellite radio.
post #277 of 501 Old 05-18-2011, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Bishop View Post

I'm just going to say it: $77/month is WAY too expensive for satellite radio.

Yes. But just think... the same thing was probably said about cable TV twenty years ago and look where it is now.

post #278 of 501 Old 05-18-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:

Just renewed my other car that was coming off of a 5 month promo. They said they no longer offer the 5 month deal or the 6 months for $29 deal. What they now offer is 50% off regular price. I ended up getting the $77 for a year deal which is 50% off the regular price. They also have the same thing for six months, but it costs more per month since the regular six month price is higher.

My wife had to cancel before they called her back two weeks later and offered 5 for $20. She re-upped and yesterday we got a written offer in the mail for 5 for 20. The promo still exists!

One of these days I'm going to cancel for good though instead of playing these games every 5 months. It's SUCH a hassle
post #279 of 501 Old 05-20-2011, 02:04 PM

So what is the current deal on a Lifetime membership? I am in the third month of a six month free Sirius trail with my 2011 Ford. On the plus side I listen to the talk stations quite a bit (Howard, ESPN, MLB Network, NPR once in a while). The down side is the music channels sound mediocre at best - even streaming Internet stations from my iPhone over Bluetooth sounds better than the Sirius stations.

So in the end there is no way I'd pay full list price for Sirius, and I'm *NOT* going to haggle with Sirius every five months or twelve months or whatever to get a better deal. I'm willing to pay for a Lifetime sub if I can get it for $400 or so, maybe a bit more if it includes HQ streaming and the XM channels - otherwise I'll go back to FM and streaming when my trial ends. Do I have any chance of getting a deal like this?

Note: my current offer for a Lifetime sub is $699 ($799 if you add the XM channels). I'd probably bite for $499 or less for Sirius (no interest in Oprah or O&A) if HQ streaming was thrown in. I guess I'll wait for my trial to expire and see what offers I am given.
post #280 of 501 Old 06-07-2011, 08:00 AM

My trial subscription with Sirius ran out 2 weeks ago. I ask a CSR the day I was to be knocked off about a special price. No current specials she said. I called back after losing my trial and still No special pricing offer..

I refuse to pay full price for Sirus. I have had XM in my tuck for 2 years and I have always had a offer to keep me as a customer but Sirius is a different story.

Sirius is way to expensive. So much competition especially with music.
Sirius, make me a offer or I will listen to my Ipod with 500+ songs forever... LOL
I miss the comedy channels
post #281 of 501 Old 06-07-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackman1 View Post

Sirius is way to expensive. So much competition especially with music.
Sirius, make me a offer or I will listen to my Ipod with 500+ songs forever... LOL
I miss the comedy channels

http://cgi.ebay.com/Slacker-G2-Perso...#ht_1418wt_983

https://store.slacker.com/store/Subs...ce=site-header
post #282 of 501 Old 06-20-2011, 09:58 AM

Liked: 11
just got Sirius 5-month select for 24.99 + fees. Of course I had to try and cancel subscription first before getting this deal. I could have got the year for 77 but this is a better deal.

Steve R.
post #283 of 501 Old 06-28-2011, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
We have suscribed to XM since '03.I called to renew last month and the price was around $134 a year. I asked abount discount rates and was told there were none.
So, they lost us as customers. That $134 a year will go toward an internet plan for wife, pandora sounds better
post #284 of 501 Old 06-29-2011, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Other than for live sports internet radio is the way to go. Reasonable prices for players and much better sound quality.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #285 of 501 Old 06-29-2011, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So yesterday, I get a post card telling me that SiriusXM has reached a preliminary settlement with a legal firm conducting a class action lawsuit against them wrt pricing <:>.

In addition to the millions of $$'s the law firm gets, apparently all SiriusXM customers have the right to renew their existing contracts at the same price paid for them this past year. The postcard has a URL to go to to reup.
Trouble is, when you get to the SiriusXM web site, there's no way to renew at your present price.

Anyone care to explain what's going on here and how to proceed.

Astrobuf
post #286 of 501 Old 07-01-2011, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclark View Post

We have suscribed to XM since '03.I called to renew last month and the price was around $134 a year. I asked abount discount rates and was told there were none.
So, they lost us as customers. That $134 a year will go toward an internet plan for wife, pandora sounds better

The problem was that you called to renew. To get the deal you need to call to cancel. You will get transferred to the retention department. Use high cost for the service as the reason to cancel. At that point you get offered the discounted rate.

post #287 of 501 Old 07-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I just renewed 2 of my 3 cars last week. I have one car on a lifetime. The other two were renewed at $168 total for Sirius Select. That includes all fees, royalties and taxes.
post #288 of 501 Old 07-06-2011, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

The problem was that you called to renew. To get the deal you need to call to cancel. You will get transferred to the retention department. Use high cost for the service as the reason to cancel. At that point you get offered the discounted rate.

The day my sub ended, they disconnected me. I called and that is what I got. Kind of hard to cancel when you are already turned off. The nice thing is that I am disconnected and don't have to worry about them billing my CC.
At $13 a month, the service is soooo overpriced, I can get Pandora for free and $13 is what I pay for HBO.
I think it is wonderful that they have all that wonderful programming in languages other than english, but I don't feel like subsidizing them (learn english!) nor do I like how stations have their sound compressed even more to make room for them simply so that people who don't want to learn our language (and a lot are illegal) can listen to their crap in their bling out SUV's on the way to Walmart!
post #289 of 501 Old 07-08-2011, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclark View Post

At $13 a month, the service is soooo overpriced, I can get Pandora for free and $13 is what I pay for HBO.

I don't think anyone here will argue with you on the price. I know I won't.

I won't return next year if I don't get the $77/year. If they stop it, I am gone. Too many other options available, and the options just keep growing, and sounding better to boot.
post #290 of 501 Old 07-11-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrobuf View Post

So yesterday, I get a post card telling me that SiriusXM has reached a preliminary settlement with a legal firm conducting a class action lawsuit against them wrt pricing <:>.

In addition to the millions of $$'s the law firm gets, apparently all SiriusXM customers have the right to renew their existing contracts at the same price paid for them this past year. The postcard has a URL to go to to reup.
Trouble is, when you get to the SiriusXM web site, there's no way to renew at your present price.

Anyone care to explain what's going on here and how to proceed.

Astrobuf

Did you ever find anything out on this? I remember getting that same card.

I've got 2 vehicles with lifetime Sirius Subs, and one portable XM unit that has a 3 yr plan on it that expires on 8/31. However, it is on a renewal plan, and I can't turn the dang thing off. Guess I'm going to have to dedicate a half hour to a phone call to disconnect service at the end of august...
post #291 of 501 Old 07-18-2011, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemitchell View Post

My subscription is up tomorrow so I just called to cancel my renewal. I told them it was just too expensive and they offered me "half price" at $85 per year on each radio right off the bat. He said he saw were I had previously been on the 5 month for $20 promotion for the last several renewals but unforunately they didn't have that promotion any more. I told him thanks but I wanted to go ahead and cancel. He then offered me three months for free just to think about it. I agreed to that. He said just call back in three months and either ask for the promo or cancel or it would auto-renew at the regular rate.

He also said if anyone calls up and asks for a promo price and is denied, just go ahead and tell them you want to cancel and they'll send you straight to his department and you will be offered a promotional price.

So...three months after my last post and just when my three free months are about to end, they offered me a new promo of $29.94 for six months of service. I renewed the radios in two of my vehicles for $66.34 total (including tax&fees) for 6 more months and set my reminder in Outlook to call up in 6 months to "cancel" again.

~kyle
post #292 of 501 Old 07-27-2011, 10:47 AM

Liked: 24
I just renewed my 2010 GM truck for XM @ $77 for a year.
Previously in March I renewed our '09 at the same $77.

I got the '09 deal by selecting the "Cancel" option in the phone menu. Then I exp[lained it was too much for our budget just for a few stations we listen to. The rep offered a $90 option and I said I can pay no more than $70 as before. She immedatley offered $77.

This last time, I slected cancel again in the phone menu, told the rep we can't afford the $149 a year and charges for two vehicles. Without asking, she offed the same $77 deal.

I've had XM radio since 2005 and gotten $77 or less every time, by selecting the "cancel" option.
post #293 of 501 Old 01-29-2012, 08:36 PM

My $77 deal is set to expire at the end of February. Can I still get this deal if I call to cancel before my subscription renews?
post #294 of 501 Old 01-29-2012, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niembre View Post

My $77 deal is set to expire at the end of February. Can I still get this deal if I call to cancel before my subscription renews?

Only if your happy paying more than you have to.

I just renewed my 2 radios on the 19th for $21.58 each including fees for 5 months. I called and said I wanted to cancel, they offered my half price right off the bat and I said "no thanks". So then they came back with this 5 month deal for $19.99 plus fees ($21.58) so I renewed both radios with it.

~kyle
post #295 of 501 Old 02-09-2012, 10:07 PM

Subscribers game plan is "threaten to cancel"..somewhat a pathetic strategy.even if you guys have all the codes in the world,if you call in so arrogant ,most of the time you get the same attitude from the agent..yah better try to cover to cover it with a story sometimes...we might give you a better deal than the $77....
post #296 of 501 Old 02-10-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusxmgem View Post

Subscribers game plan is "threaten to cancel"..somewhat a pathetic strategy.even if you guys have all the codes in the world,if you call in so arrogant ,most of the time you get the same attitude from the agent..yah better try to cover to cover it with a story sometimes...we might give you a better deal than the $77....

I have never acted arrogant with an agent, nor has one ever given me "attitude". Every time I've called I've been pleasant and so has the agent. I simply tell them I'd like to cancel, they ask me why and I say because it's too expensive for me, which it is. That may be "pathetic" to you, but it's the truth. I've never even asked for a discount, it's always been offered to me after they brought it up. They've always been very helpful and accommodating. I have called before and they weren't able to help and I canceled, and the agents were very understanding and even apologetic.

Obviously I've never spoken with you.

~kyle
post #297 of 501 Old 02-10-2012, 07:38 PM

I looked at siriusxmgem's 3 posts(as of this writing) he(or she) is a troll or a very overworked stressed out customer service rep.

SGT. Hulka said it best: "lighten up,Francis"

As to getting a good deal: as stated by others, threatening to cancel worked every time for me so far. I have a Sirius lifetime sub going on 7 years(i think) so that's paid for. My Xm sub has been fluctuating between $20-30 for 5-6 months at a time. I tell them the truth,that I only listen to 2 shows and that's why I keep the sub,but it's not worth it to me at full price.They need subscribers to show advertisers so they have given me the discount for 2 1/2 years now.

I drive a truck so I need audio content. Sat radio fulfills that need, but lately they have gotten lazy and more like regular radio. The internet free content(podcasts)has also gotten to the point where I really no longer need to pay full price for sat radio and it's lackluster content.
So IMO,if there is a deal to be had take it,because they will jack up the rates on you every time they can.
post #298 of 501 Old 02-26-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just re-upped at $94(with tax+fees)/year for Sirius Select.

Up $10 from what I paid last year. Not happy, but still think less than $8/month still makes satellite radio worth it.

But it is reaching a point where I might have to consider dumping it. Especially if it goes up again next year.
post #299 of 501 Old 03-01-2012, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Sat radio is worth every penny IMO.
post #300 of 501 Old 03-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
meme what JA Fant said

Add a couple wifi radios at $3/month to get more bang/buck from your sirius account. i've tried two wifi radios so far and the sirius TTR1 offering is waaaaay better than one maker's horrid attempt at a portable wifi. Not sure which i'll evaluate next. Maybe a Logitech.

[ if you want to try the sirius tabletop wifi radio, maybe try to get it for half price along with signup ... sometimes it is offered at half price. ]
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page