XM subscription renewal time again...any discount codes? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 485 Old 12-23-2007, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the same boat I've got 3 subscriptions and I just don't think it's worth the $27 I'm paying a month. I guess if XM thinks otherwise they wont offer me anything better.

Switched from Charter Cable to Dish Network a year ago and the week after I left Charter offered me all kinds of discounts to come back. Just switched to T-Mobile after 2 years of Verizon Wireless and already got an email wanting us back. Why don't these companies take care of the customers they've got. Instead they keep raising rates or offer all kinds of freebies and discounts to everyone but their current customers.

So to those holier than thou I should just do the same to XM even though others have said XM will lower their rate to keep me as a subscriber?

Have any of you with multiple subscriptions called and got a better deal and if so how much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 485 Old 12-24-2007, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Because idle threats mean nothing to these companies. You physically have to leave for them to come running after you.

It's like sitting in a car dealer and saying well, I don't like that offer, and I'll find it better somewhere else. Until you get up and walk towards that door (or out it into the parking lot) the dealer won't budge.

I'M FORMAT NEUTRAL
13 HD and no more
10 BR
300+ SD
post #33 of 485 Old 12-24-2007, 07:58 AM

Thank alot. I'll see what happens.
post #34 of 485 Old 12-24-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithjo View Post

Why don't these companies take care of the customers they've got. Instead they keep raising rates or offer all kinds of freebies and discounts to everyone but their current customers.

I have often wondered the same. The days of loyalty to your customers and your customer comes first unfortunately no longer exists. It might be pretty amazing how many repeat customers and word of mouth referals these companies might get if they would start taking care of their current customer base.

It would in fact be an absolute miracle if that were to ever happen again. These companies are just to greedy to give their long term customers any thought of loyalty at all. Unfortunately this does not seem to iminate only from XM, it appears to be the general business attitude as a whole and is representitive of many corporate cultures today.

I am the type of individual that will refer those individuals and corporations that take care of their customers and show their existing customer base that they matter. As rare of a commodity as this is I would most certainly reciprocate with my loyalty and referals to those customer oriented organizations.

There are people and corporate organizations that do take their customers seriously and think their customers matter. Whenever we find those organizations that consistly excel in customer service and loyalty we should refer them, give them our loyalty as they have given us, and lastly but not least, let them know what their loyalty and support has meant to us, their customer. This may go a long way in changing business attitudes and making this the norm instead of the exception.

"Profit is one thing and is a reasonable expectation at reasonable levels. Greed is quit another and at any level will never support a long term ascent to greatness."

I apologize to all and will get off of my "OLD FART, WHAT EVER HAPPEN TO THE GOOD OLE DAYS" idealistic soap box now and shut my pie whole. Sorry to all.
post #35 of 485 Old 01-22-2008, 12:37 PM
G.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simm View Post

If they won't give it you for $77 just let it lapse. In about a month they will mail you a card offering it to you for $77. They want your business.

Took them about 2 months before I got my $77.00 offer.

I told them that it was poor business practice, and I refused to sign up unless they gave me the non-discounted rate.
post #36 of 485 Old 01-22-2008, 01:26 PM

I renewed last week and asked for the $77 rate. I was put on hold for about 2minutes and when they came back on they agreed to it. I didn't threaten to leave I just asked for that price.
post #37 of 485 Old 01-30-2008, 05:21 PM

I had a pretty easy time gettin the $77 rate too yesterday. They credited back my account for my current term and then billed me for $77. All in all, very easy process with no hassle.
post #38 of 485 Old 02-09-2008, 10:26 PM

I also got the $77. rate but not until I spoke to a second person after I told them I was ending my service. I didn't ask it was offered. Thats when i took it. The guy also said the merge is in the works and the official announcement should come on or about June or July. But who knows, he said the havn"t worked out what channels there keeping and not.
post #39 of 485 Old 02-13-2008, 04:05 PM

I've had a few bad run ins with XM in situations similar to your daughters. My original purcahse was for 12 months of service. At the end of this contract, I called and attempted to renew at $77, They refused and so I told them to cancel the service.

XM did not however cancel it and instead continued to send me bills for service I did not order. I had no obligation as I'd never authorized any more than the initial 12 months of service which I'd paid for. Cleverly, and I think dishonestly, they decided to change their business terms to "autorenew" in the bill/servce contract they'd sent me with the renewal, something many service providers seem to be doing to make it hard or impossible for subscribers to negotiate a good deal.

Eventually, XM shut off the unrequested service and then they assigned me to their collection agency. After many protest letters and calls to XM and consultation with the MN Attorney Generals office, I got a letter from XM indicating that they in fact were not owed anything (in part as I'd engaged the MN Attorney General) and we parted ways unhappy with eachother these past 18 months.

Today I got a certificate from Acura telling me I could resubscribe for 3 months at $4.99/month with no continuing obligation. Called XM and after enduring 30 minutes of phone mail ?ell and getting cut off once, I learned that they will not turn the service back on as I am inarrears on my account. Go figure, I'm writing the Attorney General again about these crooks. I hope HD radio puts them out of business.

Astrobuf
post #40 of 485 Old 02-13-2008, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrobuf View Post

I've had a few bad run ins with XM in situations similar to your daughters. My original purcahse was for 12 months of service. At the end of this contract, I called and attempted to renew at $77, They refused and so I told them to cancel the service.

XM did not however cancel it and instead continued to send me bills for service I did not order. I had no obligation as I'd never authorized any more than the initial 12 months of service which I'd paid for. Cleverly, and I think dishonestly, they decided to change their business terms to "autorenew" in the bill/servce contract they'd sent me with the renewal, something many service providers seem to be doing to make it hard or impossible for subscribers to negotiate a good deal.

Eventually, XM shut off the unrequested service and then they assigned me to their collection agency. After many protest letters and calls to XM and consultation with the MN Attorney Generals office, I got a letter from XM indicating that they in fact were not owed anything (in part as I'd engaged the MN Attorney General) and we parted ways unhappy with eachother these past 18 months.

Today I got a certificate from Acura telling me I could resubscribe for 3 months at $4.99/month with no continuing obligation. Called XM and after enduring 30 minutes of phone mail ?ell and getting cut off once, I learned that they will not turn the service back on as I am inarrears on my account. Go figure, I'm writing the Attorney General again about these crooks. I hope HD radio puts them out of business.

Astrobuf

why should they turn you back on-
I wouldn't...

enjoy your commercials

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

post #41 of 485 Old 02-14-2008, 10:28 AM

Why should they have billed me for service I did not order and explicitly cancelled. Seems like a crooked operation.

Astrobuf
post #42 of 485 Old 02-14-2008, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
We will be buying a GM vehicle soon, and after the 3 months promo I will cancel, I already have 3 Sirius radios and will not pay full price for XM. If they offer a discount I will leave it in place, otherwise I will put one of the Sirius tuners in the car. No big deal, and I don't consider it stealing if they reduce the price and keep us on.

Dave
post #43 of 485 Old 02-19-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzitony View Post

I have to agree with mercury. If you are falsely threating to leave even though you want to keep it that's dishonest. That's basically the same as insurance fraud that way I see it. If they call YOU with a good deal, then great... that'd a whole different story I agree.

Just pay for 3 years and get your discount the honest way, no? I've paid $9.99/mo. since 2003 with no funny business.

You must not like poker....
post #44 of 485 Old 03-01-2008, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

I was able to get the $77.00 deal, here in Canada! Amazing. Usually, Canadians get screwed over, when trying to get the U.S. price. Only one thing; watch out for their negative option billing. They'll bill you the full amount, when your subscription is about to lapse, without asking you. I gave them crap about this policy. They cut my service off, because they couldn't access my credit card information and cut off the service with a month left in the contract. Be careful, dealing with these people.

I own a Samsung BD UP5000 with over a 1000 Blu Ray Movies

I also own a Toshiba D3 & Toshiba A30 plus 175 HD DVD Movies

post #45 of 485 Old 03-02-2008, 11:00 AM

PrinceLH

This is exactly the crooked billing practice that got me mightily upset and in the midst of a protracted legal argument with XM. They billed me for service I too did not order and then refused to relase me from the charges which they had illegally charged me.

I'm certain that if you happen to use a credit card that is still valid when the service lapses, they will bill you in advance for service with you have not authorized or purchased. SUCH CROOKS. I can't believe they haen't been sued over this.

I suggest you complain to your State Attorney General as this practice is highly illeagal!

Astrobuf
post #46 of 485 Old 03-02-2008, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

After reading this thread, I was prepared for a hassle in trying to let my sub. die the end of March. I had to talk to the retention guy and turn down $77 and three free months but then he said OK taken care of, the subscription will end at the end of March. Since I believe in "trust but verify", I'll be watching the Amex bills for a couple months.

TerryB
post #47 of 485 Old 03-03-2008, 07:59 AM

TerryB

I expect that since you went through the inconvenience of calling XM and suffering through their phone droids, you will not be billed. Do let us know though as I'd not be completly surprised to hear something went awry.

Astrobuf
post #48 of 485 Old 03-03-2008, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

TerryB

I expect that since you went through the inconvenience of calling XM and suffering through their phone droids, you will not be billed. Do let us know though as I'd not be completly surprised to hear something went awry.

Astrobuf

People like you crack me up.....

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

post #49 of 485 Old 03-06-2008, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

mercury,
Which of us are you thanking for your chuckle?

TerryB
post #50 of 485 Old 03-14-2008, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
My subscription ends March 19 after over three years.

I called to try and get the $77 deal and… they refused, insisting that $221 was their best rate for two years.

Guess I'll just go without; since the card they have on file is expired they can't just renew me, either.

Why do businesses have to be so stupid about things like this?
post #51 of 485 Old 03-14-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

My subscription ends March 19 after over three years.

I called to try and get the $77 deal and they refused, insisting that $221 was their best rate for two years.

Guess I'll just go without; since the card they have on file is expired they can't just renew me, either.

Why do businesses have to be so stupid about things like this?

Try calling back and threaten to cancel. In my case, and in the cases of others, they will transfer you to a person who will give you the $77.00 deal.

Good luck.
post #52 of 485 Old 03-16-2008, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Not trying to negotiate a better deal is one of the causes of inflation. Like the stupid tourists did around the world years ago by overtipping.
If you don't want to negotiate boy do I have a house to sell you!
post #53 of 485 Old 03-19-2008, 02:19 PM

I just called and told them I wanted to end my service. After an offer of 3 months @ $4.99, they offered the $77.
post #54 of 485 Old 03-31-2008, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I called them in February when it was time to renew and asked if the had any special offers. The current sound quality isn't worth the current prices. They offered me 3 months free to re-evaluate the service. Well, March 19th they went ahead and charged me for 3 months.

I just called and they agreed to credit me that amount and keep the service until June. I also asked them to remove my credit card information so I can't be accidentally charged again.

How much do you want to bet I'll see a charge on my next bill?

The sound quality of internet radio has me spoiled. I find it very hard to listen to XM. It's a shame because I really enjoy their programming.

~Jay
post #55 of 485 Old 04-03-2008, 07:39 PM

I owned a small business with a large income. I sold yearly contracts for technical laboratory service. If I got a customer who said it was too much I would either 'do the deal' or not. It was not a matter of them being dishonest. They were looking out for themself. Whom else do you WANT looking out for you? Daddy? Mommy? Our poster is a troll or mentally ill. Ignore him and he'll go away.

Retired at 45 to learn how.
Interests solar, battery packs and electric vehicles, medicine, chemistry, solid state electronics, and most sciences.

Anyime you need a hand or answerjusu ask.
Andy
post #56 of 485 Old 04-13-2008, 03:23 PM

i just bought a new car with a built in XM receiver.. my trial is up in early May.
I want to renew but I am wondering about a few things first..

1. For those who renew at $77, what will this XM packager become post merger? will you be "grandfathered" into the new "Everything" package?

2. Do you have to give them a credit card? It sounds almost as hard as an AUTO billing gym membership that are so hard to get out of (been there, done that..and not making that mistake again). I want them to bill me. Is that possible?

thanks!
post #57 of 485 Old 04-14-2008, 12:59 PM

You will have to use a credit card. Make certain you do not sign or authorize any "continuing or automatic renewal". Use a credit card with a short expiry date. Expect a fight the second time around and to get billed for service you never authorized.

Astrobuf
post #58 of 485 Old 04-14-2008, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You will have to use a credit card. Make certain you do not sign or authorize any "continuing or automatic renewal". Use a credit card with a short expiry date. Expect a fight the second time around and to get billed for service you never authorized.

Astrobuf

They tell you up front it's automatic billing...
post #59 of 485 Old 04-15-2008, 06:38 AM

They did not tell me there would be any auto billing. From the posts of many others they have not been asking anyone else either. If they are now, this is a welcome change in procedure. The question is, if you reject the auto-billing will they provide service. This is a nasty business practice, really unethical. The basic contract for services is being violated. I still advise using a short term CC to give one options, failing this, you will be taken advantage of.

Astrobuf
post #60 of 485 Old 08-30-2008, 10:47 AM

We're a few months past the last post in this thread. I have been an XM customer for a few years, and just got my notice that I will auto-renew in a few weeks. Family priorities have changed, and I would love to keep XM (for the 3-4 channels I listed to) but not sure I want to invest $12/month. Is the $77 deal still active, or will they split the annual rate into a couple payments? Lastly, has anyone threatened to cancel if they don't get the $77 deal...and they don't give in?
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page