XM subscription renewal time again...any discount codes? - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 43Likes

post #751 of 765 Old 06-01-2017, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 88
If it's still active, XM used fixed Geo-synchronous satellites (two originally named Rock and Roll, mainly aimed at each coast.) The tuner typically just picked up one. Sirius used several lower satellites in faster orbits, so the tuner would occasionally need to swap to a different satellite as one went out of range. That could be one reason for variable quality and dropouts with the Sirius satellites. As the signal gets weaker and weaker, you run into problems until it decides to look for a better signal from another satellite.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 765 Old 06-01-2017, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Hey back at you.

I noticed a lot more dropouts with my 2016 vehicle than on the 2008 and it seems to vary depending on station. On my car which is a 2008 model, its much better. Don't know if the older one has better sensitivity or maybe is buffering so the dropouts are masked.
something wierd is certainly going on. No doubt that there are more sat(s) in orbit in 2017.
It would be interesting to learn if Sat Radio is app -driven like so many other (crappy) services.
post #753 of 765 Old 06-01-2017, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
My 2017 Chevy Bolt came with three free months SXM.... I'm 1.5 months into the free trial now and am already getting (crappy) offers from SXM at $220+ per year.

Should I just let the free trial expire and let them send me better email offers or it it worth chatting w/them before the trial expires?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
Let it expire and they will bombard you with really good offers.
Got a acceptable offer from SXM in the mail yesterday... $99+$12 for 12 months.
I took then up on it, paid online.... much better than their original $220 offer!
Nayan and JA Fant like this.

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth!”
M. Tyson

post #754 of 765 Old 06-03-2017, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I dumped SiriusXM well over a year ago. Maybe longer. And I have yet to receive a SINGLE offer from them to come back.

I would never sign up again, but the fact that they never even sent me an offer to reup after 8-9 years of continuous service, ever, hurts. SNIFF!!
post #755 of 765 Old 06-05-2017, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ maybe all their offers got automatically dumped in your spam, bulk, or trash folder?
Maybe intercepted by your ISP's bulk mail traps before it even got to you?

I got two offers from them via snail-mail after one month with the Bolt.

M. Tyson
post #756 of 765 Old 06-20-2017, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Went through the usual ritual when I called to cancel. Took the 5 month plan for $29.51. I'm always prepared to cancel since I only listen to SXM a few times each week. It's nice to have but not essential.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sxm.png
Views:	58
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	2196345  
whizkid39 likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #757 of 765 Old 07-15-2017, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They used to be better about offering discounts, most recent call I added another radio and they basically told me to pound sand and charged full price.
post #758 of 765 Old 07-16-2017, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 309
I have a 2016 Altima and have a lot of dropouts. My price is 6 mo/$30. The car came with 6 months free and I extended it every 6 months. I enjoy the addition of the Beatles channel as I am a big fan. If they offer me the same deal, I will keep it..But to keep the same deal, they put you thru at least 2 operators until the final operator said ok , how about bla bla bla..

post #759 of 765 Old 07-16-2017, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwanamaker View Post
They used to be better about offering discounts, most recent call I added another radio and they basically told me to pound sand and charged full price.

You have to tell them you want to cancel because you cannot afford it. They will transfer you to retentions.
post #760 of 765 Old 07-20-2017, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ or just let it expire and you'll get lots of discount offers after that.

M. Tyson
post #761 of 765 Old 07-30-2017, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post
I have a 2016 Altima and have a lot of dropouts. My price is 6 mo/$30. The car came with 6 months free and I extended it every 6 months. I enjoy the addition of the Beatles channel as I am a big fan. If they offer me the same deal, I will keep it..But to keep the same deal, they put you thru at least 2 operators until the final operator said ok , how about bla bla bla..
Agreed- there are more drop-outs on the programming for sure. It was not always like this going back to 2005.
post #762 of 765 Old 08-05-2017, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
^ or just let it expire and you'll get lots of discount offers after that.
I thought that would happen ("expire") after my debit card was blocked recently after a hacking attempt. I did not want to keep the service (on my wife's car, and she has switched to Spotify), and thought it would die a natural death. I now get threatening phone calls from Sirius XM, one of which I answered, that I will continue to be billed until I formerly end the service. I said that was fine and go ahead and discontinue it. The next reply was that there was a balance due as my card was blocked in June and the next billing period did not come up until July. I stated that was fine and they could send my a final bill and I would pay it through paypal. The customer service representative informed me they could only close the transaction with a credit or debit card, and then requested I give that number to them on the phone, after which I promptly hung up. Let's see, debit card hacking attempt on vacation, wait 10 business days to get a new one, and now talk to some unknown on the person on the phone and give out the new number. Since when can a business entity refuse payment? They have no problems mailing crap, calling on the phone, and sending emails, so why can't they email a bill, one that can be paid "electronically" so there is no messy physical mail? And one more thing, do you think that maybe by having a new debit card number they could "accidently" open another account, bill me some more, and then go through the same thing when I try to discontinue again? Wait, is this Sirius XM or is it Wells Fargo?
post #763 of 765 Old 08-07-2017, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by castdude View Post
I thought that would happen ("expire") after my debit card was blocked recently after a hacking attempt. I did not want to keep the service (on my wife's car, and she has switched to Spotify), and thought it would die a natural death. I now get threatening phone calls from Sirius XM, one of which I answered, that I will continue to be billed until I formerly end the service. I said that was fine and go ahead and discontinue it. The next reply was that there was a balance due as my card was blocked in June and the next billing period did not come up until July. I stated that was fine and they could send my a final bill and I would pay it through paypal. The customer service representative informed me they could only close the transaction with a credit or debit card, and then requested I give that number to them on the phone, after which I promptly hung up. Let's see, debit card hacking attempt on vacation, wait 10 business days to get a new one, and now talk to some unknown on the person on the phone and give out the new number. Since when can a business entity refuse payment? They have no problems mailing crap, calling on the phone, and sending emails, so why can't they email a bill, one that can be paid "electronically" so there is no messy physical mail? And one more thing, do you think that maybe by having a new debit card number they could "accidently" open another account, bill me some more, and then go through the same thing when I try to discontinue again? Wait, is this Sirius XM or is it Wells Fargo?
I am SO GLAD to have dumped them 2-3 years ago. Glad I got out.
post #764 of 765 Old 08-14-2017, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 262
I just set up a Google Calendar Event the week before the expiration is up and then on that day I call to cancel. Thus far I've got extensions of the current deal I have. If they want to charge me their ridiculous full price I am fully prepared to cancel.

post #765 of 765 Old 08-20-2017, 11:51 AM
EdQ

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Just renewed again after telling them to cancel.
Got the same plan again.

08/20/2017-02/20/2018 XM Select 6 Month $29.94
08/20/2017-02/20/2018 NavTraffic® 6 Month 11.97
08/20/2017-02/20/2018 U.S. Music Royalty Fee 4.16

Samsung 75" UHDTV | Marantz 7010 - Surrounds | Integra DTR 9.1 - LCR | AIRCOM T8 | HTPC with Blu-Ray
Front - Polk RTi12 | Center - Polk CSi5 | Surrounds - Polk RTi6 | Atmos - Polk S15 | Klipsch R-115SW | 7.2.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page