Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitod View Post

We'll see the next ratings.

vitod why bother,

bad FM ratings, FM stations dropping them left and right, freefm show that is turning into a bad morning zoo show, bad ratings on sat...

again, why bother!

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

post #64 of 101 Old 11-09-2007, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Exactly, they NEVER, hear me now, EVER have the numbers stern did. Period, end of story, I'm just glad they can come up with excuses why they don't. But like merc pointed out, they're being dropped like flies on FM, on xm it will be no different, those numbers are not going to change next book period. It doesn't matter if sat providers like it or not, do you really think FM likes their numbers any more, thats why they're an independant firm...

and poor pat lol twice as many posts on page 2, almost there huh, how about the 8 posts of yours on page 1.....and that's where it makes me laugh. o and a people come up with ANY excuse to justify those two aren't stern, the sad fact you may never face is they NEVER will be.

Least merc tried to make sense of it all. But it in the end it doesn't matter, they're not stern and they never will be.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

post #65 of 101 Old 11-09-2007, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Even though I try to avoid these things, here is the bottom line:

O&A were handed the keys to the Rolls Royce, and it WON'T START. But this IS NOT THERE FAULT. I will explain why.

A Nationally Syndicated Talk Show Network GENERATED/CREATED by STERN over the period of 20-25 years. Not overnight. Not just HANDED to him. But over a period of 25 years to "build" his current empire.

READ THAT PREVIOUS SENTENCE AGAIN, FOR THOSE WHO ARE SLOWWW!!!

Howard was never handed anything. He helped build his own syndicated radio show, but it did not happen overnight. It took years to do it. At least 15 years before Howard TRULY became National.

Now I was born and raised in NJ, so I have known about Howard for a long time. But even I wasn't there in the beginning. I used to listen to him somewhat as a kid when he was on NBC in the afternoons(I used to like the fart noises and dirty jokes as I did my homework. Always kept the sound down because if the parents ever found out I was listening to him, would have gotten in serious trouble), but I really don't recall any of the programs.

Anyway, then I began my listening of stations like Z100 and 95.5 WPLJ. People that live in NYC or the burbs know these stations(at least when I was listening to them in the mid to late 80's/90's are geared towards what would be called the Tween generation. Pop music, some clean dirty jokes, a Jewish Mother Sweater Alert type of Weather report, and maybe some funny phony phone calls. Nothing too outrageous, but hilarious to stupid kids who like the current pop music(Maddona, Whitesnake, Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen, Wham, Duran Duran, Cindy Lauper, Quiet Riot, Hall and Oates, all the 80's Cheese, etc...) on the way to school on the bus in the morning. The bus drivers typically had these radio stations tuned in, if you were lucky to have a "cool" bus driver who had a radio installed into the school bus. Most didn't, but some did.

I didn't "rediscover" Howard until late in my Junior year of High School(1990). Began to get a ride in the morning with friends who had a driver's license, and we would listen on the way in. I was hooked back in, and have been listening ever since.

But even then(1990) Howard was by no means, NATIONAL. Not even close. People in the Tri-state area knew who he was, but go west of Philadelphia(even to north near Scranton/Wilkes Barre didn't know who the hell he was) and most people would say, "Who?"

Even his channel 9 show was mainly seen by those of us lucky enough to live in NJ/NY/Conneticut/maybe a little bit of PA because it was broadcast oin Channel 9 out of Secaucus, NJ. Alot of people never saw those shows, or will ever be exposed to them because of legal disputes between Stern and WWOR. They own the tapes, and he does not, and that irks him. They always will unless they develop a brain fart and let them go.

The point is O&A were given the keys to the kingdom, FOR NO GOOD REASON.

The idiotic executives at CBS just thought they could plug them in(after the David Lee Roth debacle), and it will MONEY , MONEY , MONEY again from advertisers, just like Stern.

That is not fair to them(O&A). They are NOT STERN. And if THEY thought they could just come in and take over, then they are fools as well. And there small fan base is really diluting themselves in thinking that.

O&A are not a nationally known product. They just aren't.

This is the main reason why they are being dumped by stations all over the country.

They NEVER did anything to help CREATE that success.

They did nothing to create those syndicated markets.

They(O&A and the executives at CBS) just thought they could step in and keep the train running smoothly.

It was DOOMED from the beginning.

Now, that being said, O&A will ALWAYS have a JOB. Without question. They have ENOUGH listeners in the NYC area(maybe the tri-state area, but they were just dumped in Philly) to be profitable for CBS. Maybe even ENOURMOUSLY profitable.

My God, NYC is the #1 radio market in the country, and they could be at the head of it.

And maybe after 10-15 years of continous hard work, and excellent ratings books, they will begin to sought after again by syndication.

But it is something they have to build themselves, and not just take Daddy's car(Howard Stern's syndicated radio juggernaught) and drive around like THEY bought it.

The CBS exec's and them screwed up big time. The lush days of tons of ad money is now over, and will never be recouped.

Times are changing.

O&A need to start from the ground(NYC PERIOD) and build if they ever want(this is there goal, or they would not be doing what they are doing now) the syndicated empire that Howard built for himself over a 20-25 year period.

That is a quarter of a century people. Took Howard a long time to build up to national recognition. Then he expanded into books, movies, tv, and everything else.

That is what O&A want, but don't seem to want to work towards. They appear to want that handed to them at this stage of their career. Not going to happen.

They must build it on their own. It may be too late for them to be THAT BIG.

They may just have to settle to being a top listened to radio staion in NYC, which is not too shabby.
post #66 of 101 Old 11-10-2007, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

O&A were handed the keys to the Rolls Royce, and it WON'T START. But this IS NOT THERE FAULT. I will explain why.

A Nationally Syndicated Talk Show Network GENERATED/CREATED by STERN over the period of 20-25 years. Not overnight. Not just HANDED to him. But over a period of 25 years to "build" his current empire.

Howard was never handed anything. He helped build his own syndicated radio show, but it did not happen overnight. It took years to do it. At least 15 years before Howard TRULY became National.

Now I was born and raised in NJ, so I have known about Howard for a long time. But even I wasn't there in the beginning. I used to listen to him somewhat as a kid when he was on NBC in the afternoons(I used to like the fart noises and dirty jokes as I did my homework. Always kept the sound down because if the parents ever found out I was listening to him, would have gotten in serious trouble), but I really don't recall any of the programs.

Anyway, then I began my listening of stations like Z100 and 95.5 WPLJ. People that live in NYC or the burbs know these stations(at least when I was listening to them in the mid to late 80's/90's are geared towards what would be called the Tween generation. Pop music, some clean dirty jokes, a Jewish Mother Sweater Alert type of Weather report, and maybe some funny phony phone calls. Nothing too outrageous, but hilarious to stupid kids who like the current pop music(Maddona, Whitesnake, Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen, Wham, Duran Duran, Cindy Lauper, Quiet Riot, Hall and Oates, all the 80's Cheese, etc...) on the way to school on the bus in the morning. The bus drivers typically had these radio stations tuned in, if you were lucky to have a "cool" bus driver who had a radio installed into the school bus. Most didn't, but some did.

I didn't "rediscover" Howard until late in my Junior year of High School(1990). Began to get a ride in the morning with friends who had a driver's license, and we would listen on the way in. I was hooked back in, and have been listening ever since.

But even then(1990) Howard was by no means, NATIONAL. Not even close. People in the Tri-state area knew who he was, but go west of Philadelphia(even to north near Scranton/Wilkes Barre didn't know who the hell he was) and most people would say, "Who?"

Even his channel 9 show was mainly seen by those of us lucky enough to live in NJ/NY/Conneticut/maybe a little bit of PA because it was broadcast oin Channel 9 out of Secaucus, NJ. Alot of people never saw those shows, or will ever be exposed to them because of legal disputes between Stern and WWOR. They own the tapes, and he does not, and that irks him. They always will unless they develop a brain fart and let them go.

The idiotic executives at CBS just thought they could plug them in(after the David Lee Roth debacle), and it will MONEY , MONEY , MONEY again from advertisers, just like Stern.

That is not fair to them(O&A). They are NOT STERN. And if THEY thought they could just come in and take over, then they are fools as well. And there small fan base is really diluting themselves in thinking that.

This is the main reason why they are being dumped by stations all over the country.

They(O&A and the executives at CBS) just thought they could step in and keep the train running smoothly.

Now, that being said, O&A will ALWAYS have a JOB. Without question. They have ENOUGH listeners in the NYC area(maybe the tri-state area, but they were just dumped in Philly) to be profitable for CBS. Maybe even ENOURMOUSLY profitable.

My God, NYC is the #1 radio market in the country, and they could be at the head of it.

And maybe after 10-15 years of continous hard work, and excellent ratings books, they will begin to sought after again by syndication.

But it is something they have to build themselves, and not just take Daddy's car(Howard Stern's syndicated radio juggernaught) and drive around like THEY bought it.

The CBS exec's and them screwed up big time. The lush days of tons of ad money is now over, and will never be recouped.

Times are changing.

O&A need to start from the ground(NYC PERIOD) and build if they ever want(this is there goal, or they would not be doing what they are doing now) the syndicated empire that Howard built for himself over a 20-25 year period.

That is a quarter of a century people. Took Howard a long time to build up to national recognition. Then he expanded into books, movies, tv, and everything else.

That is what O&A want, but don't seem to want to work towards. They appear to want that handed to them at this stage of their career. Not going to happen.

They may just have to settle to being a top listened to radio staion in NYC, which is not too shabby.

BRAVO, BRAVO, BRAVO!!!

That sums it up better then iv ever read!-

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

Squeezbox*

post #67 of 101 Old 11-12-2007, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fantastic Steel, fantastic!

Evil is Good
post #68 of 101 Old 11-13-2007, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post

those numbers are not going to change next book period.

So will you to post "O & A are my daddy" if you are wrong.
post #69 of 101 Old 11-13-2007, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedeye View Post

So will you to post "O & A are my daddy" if you are wrong.

the PPM's for October just came out-

In K-Rock's target of 18-34 In morning drive, O&A dropped from 3.9 to 3.2 (8th to 12th).

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

Squeezbox*

post #70 of 101 Old 11-13-2007, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post

In K-Rock's target of 18-34 In morning drive, O&A dropped from 3.9 to 3.2 (8th to 12th).

This thread is about the arbitron SAT ratings.

Nice try though. Howie would be proud of you.
post #71 of 101 Old 11-13-2007, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I really don't understand O&A fans. They want to squeeze water from a rock. Time and time again they constantly have excuses about their dismal performance. Merc just posted another ratings flop! And I assume they weren't suspended, vacation, and whatever stupid reason O&A fans CLAIM the real reason for awful ratings.

These O&A fans are dillusional. They want to comfort themselves of something that's not there! What more proof do you people want?

Evil is Good
post #72 of 101 Old 11-13-2007, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedeye View Post

This thread is about the arbitron SAT ratings.

Nice try though. Howie would be proud of you.

What difference does it make? The point is that either sat or reg radio, they're ratings SUCK!

Evil is Good
post #73 of 101 Old 11-13-2007, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Funny that O&A are so bad yet Howie fans dedicate approximately 40 out of the 73 posts in this thread to bashing them. You'd think that they were so insignificant that they would not be worthy of comparrison.
post #74 of 101 Old 11-13-2007, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat6366 View Post

Funny that O&A are so bad yet Howie fans dedicate approximately 40 out of the 73 posts in this thread to bashing them. You'd think that they were so insignificant that they would not be worthy of comparrison.

Hm why is that! oh ya, because O&A proclaimed that howard was an irrelevant hack. that they will sit in Howards chair and talk to all his listeners. how they can make FreeFM work more gooder. how we could adapt while Stern could not!!!!. and on and on and on......

now we watch them fail over and over and over-

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

Squeezbox*

post #75 of 101 Old 11-13-2007, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

41.......next
post #76 of 101 Old 11-13-2007, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

41.......next

Hows that FM show treating you Pat.

still think it sucks?

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

Squeezbox*

post #77 of 101 Old 11-14-2007, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

41.......next

C'mon Pat, I expect better than that.

Evil is Good
post #78 of 101 Old 11-15-2007, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Vitod

I know it's not quite as high brow as:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitod View Post

they're ratings SUCK!

post #79 of 101 Old 11-15-2007, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Pat you seem to be avoiding my question.

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

Squeezbox*

post #80 of 101 Old 11-15-2007, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pat you seem to be avoiding my question.

Merc, I was trusting you to keep track of the count yourself, now I have to.
43......Next
post #81 of 101 Old 11-15-2007, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Merc, I was trusting you to keep track of the count yourself, now I have to.
43......Next

Things must be pretty bad on FM.....

oh well, the'll be FREE by April 08.

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

Squeezbox*

post #82 of 101 Old 11-15-2007, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Things must be pretty bad on FM.....

oh well, the'll be FREE by April 08.

Hope they're not FREE, I hope to still have to pay to hear 3-4 hours of their daily show.
post #83 of 101 Old 11-15-2007, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hope they're not FREE, I hope to still have to pay to hear 3-4 hours of their daily show.

I love how you cant be a man and admit the FM portion of the O&A show sucks.

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

Squeezbox*

post #84 of 101 Old 11-15-2007, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I love how you cant be a man and admit the FM portion of the O&A show sucks.

C'mon Merc, I expect better from you, I've given my honest opinion of the FM show a few times before, I do not pretend that it is something that it is not. No need to rehash that in a thread about Sat arbitron ratings.
45.....next
post #85 of 101 Old 11-15-2007, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Where,?

can you post it please.

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

Squeezbox*

post #86 of 101 Old 11-15-2007, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Read post #16.

apology accepted.
post #87 of 101 Old 11-18-2007, 10:32 PM

Stern clocks in as the number one listened to Satstation on either service.
over 1.2 million-

Interesting. That really is a big drop from his terrestrial radio days. No wonder Sirius wants a merger/acquisition of XM -- ending the competition will help to spread out the cost of Stern over more subscribers (and get those mostly paid off satellites).

Personally, I think that the winning Sat Radio format was to stick to music, weather, traffic and comedy (and the cheapo talk shows). The price war over talent and sports I feel has been an expensive diversion.
post #88 of 101 Old 11-18-2007, 10:40 PM

Imus gets advertisers for one reason -- he's the favorite DJ of the blowhards of the US Senate from both sides of the aisle. He lets them go on the air and feel cool AND important. It lets them feel that they're still in touch with the people (without actually mingling with the less fortunate). So Imus advertising is really just another form of political lobbying.

It's similar to the PGA getting lots of expensive ads from powerful companies in the low rating years between Nicklaus and Woods. Many of the ads were aimed at the CEO's for whom golf was the one TV show they watched.

Thus, an Imus advertiser is paying all that cash to send a message to a few Senators (or their staffers).
post #89 of 101 Old 11-20-2007, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

Times are changing.

you could'nt be more on point...well done
post #90 of 101 Old 11-27-2007, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Wow, so does this mean Sirius is paying $416 for every Stern listener? Great business decision.

Actually, even if that were the only revenue Howard's channels generate, it would still be a sound business decision, because that is still nowhere near what the subscription costs are for the length of time folks typically subscribe.

But the benefits of signing HS are much greater than his cost divided by the number of listeners to his show. There are a great deal of highly-paid advertisements on those two channels, for one thing. The other thing is that noboby even knew what Sirius was in 2004, and now their brand recognition is exceptionally high, specifically because of signing HS. You can't buy that kind of promotion any other way.

Sirius would probably be out of business by now without signing him, and not only has it made Sirius competitive with XM, Sirius became the dominant (aquiring) party as regards the merger. Sirius subscriptions gained at a rate roughly 7 times that of XM from the time HS announced in 2004 to the time he finally went on the air in 2005, which carried over until, well, right now. Sirius figured 1 million subs in the first year of Howard would make it a good business decision, but they got that first million before he ever uttered a word on satellite. He basically saved the company, and possibly the industry. CBS radio has had revenues decline 12% since Howard left, and the entire company of CBS is down 2.9%, specifically due to losses in the radio division. CBS losing 2.9% of its business is a lot less than it would have cost them to match Howard's deal at Sirius.

Signing Howard was just one more notch on Mel Karmazin's belt, and torpedoed Hugh Panero's career. Love him or hate him, Howard is a phenomenon without peer. No one else ever came close to having 82 #1 ratings books in a row, or ever will, which is equivalent to DiMaggio hitting safely in 56 games straight. Signing Howard may have been one of the smartest business decisions ever made by a struggling corporation.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio