post #1 of 101 Old 10-23-2007, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
http://www.radio-info.com/in3_src/im...ellite_P12.pdf

of note-

Stern clocks in as the number one listened to Satstation on either service.
over 1.2 million-

O&A just over 200,000

in other news,

O&A were just dropped from WYSP in Philly-

‘Opie & Anthony’ dumped by WYSP

WYSP (94.1) today parted ways with Opie & Anthony, its syndicated morning show.
WYSP, which last month announced it would return to rock, will play music in morning drive tomorrow and for the foreseeable future, said its general manager, David Yadragoff.

Since April 2006, the freewheeling, New York-based personalities aired on WYSP and as many as 11 Infinity/CBS stations in a unique partnership with XM Satellite Radio.

Greg "Opie" Hughes and Anthony Cumia replaced the ratings-deprived David Lee Roth, who lasted only four months. Roth, the rocker-cum-pundit, had the unenviable task of following ratings juggernaut Howard Stern when Stern left for Sirius Satellite Radio in late 2005.

WYSP was alone today in jettisoning O&A, whose ratings have been tepid among listeners ages 18 to 34; in September, the show had actually risen - into 10th place.

Six other CBS stations now air O&A, said a CBS spokeswoman, who added that she had no announcements about the other stations' plans.

Kidd Chris, the station's afternoon host, is one of several candidates for the morning show, Yadragoff said.

Robert Eatman, O&A's manager, did not immediately return a call for comment.

In 2002, O&A created a stink during their first tour of duty with CBS Radio when they broadcast audio of a couple supposedly having sex in New York's St. Patrick's Cathedral. The pair were pulled off the air after the Federal Communications Commission accused them of indecency and threatened fines.

XM hired them in October 2004, and they thrived in the unbowdlerized world of satellite radio.

When XM offered to share them with CBS 18 months ago, the two were hailed as saviors.

"Oddly enough, our goal a few years ago was just to get work," Cumia told the Associated Press in 2006. "We wanted to get a job."

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...d_by_WYSP.html

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 101 Old 10-23-2007, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Stern is the reason I stick with Sirius. Entertaining as hell.
post #3 of 101 Old 10-24-2007, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, so does this mean Sirius is paying $416 for every Stern listener? Great business decision.
post #4 of 101 Old 10-24-2007, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat6366 View Post

Wow, so does this mean Sirius is paying $416 for every Stern listener? Great business decision.

No, what it means is,
Stern is the king of SatRadio with 5x more people tuning in then O&A-or any other channel!

O&A are falling apart right in front of your eyes!

thats what this means

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

Squeezbox*

post #5 of 101 Old 10-24-2007, 12:41 PM

Easy kids. Your going to get this one closed like the last thread.

Full disclosure, I am an O&A fan, but I have never heard Howard, so he might be ok, couldn't tell ya. Anthony did say this morning that the rating book was compiled when O&A were on suspension. Take that for what it is worth, I guess. Also, Opie cant keep his mouth shut sometimes, and didn't help his cause by calling WYSP pd John Cook a "wussy"...

http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=499308

FWIW, I am amazed that XM 202 only counts 200K listeners... I would have thought it would have been way higher. Now I understand why no one knows who the hell I am referring to when I mention O&A and l'il Jimmy Norton...

post #6 of 101 Old 10-24-2007, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightwing View Post

FWIW, I am amazed that XM 202 only counts 200K listeners... I would have thought it would have been way higher. Now I understand why no one knows who the hell I am referring to when I mention O&A and l'il Jimmy Norton...

why,?

when they were a pay service Opie said they had 30,000 paying customers.

30,000-200,000 thousand sounds about right.

They should have kept quiet about Stern and just did the type show they did on afternoon drive. going back to FM and laughing how they were in Howards chair and talking to Sterns audience has now come back to bite them.

they made the bed they now have to sleep in!

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

Squeezbox*

post #7 of 101 Old 10-24-2007, 03:27 PM

The sports ratings seem very low, even MLB. Is that because of the spring timeframe of the report and/or the fact that each channel is "closed" except when a game is on?
post #8 of 101 Old 10-24-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post

going back to FM and laughing how they were in Howards chair and talking to Sterns audience has now come back to bite them.

they made the bed they now have to sleep in!

I do not see how that correlates, necessarily. The show does has a bit more substance than "bash Howard" all day, every day. They have done their fair share of it, though, no doubt. I was just unaware the number of XM listeners was so small. Its a different market though, I suppose, satellite versus terrestial. There are probably times when certain cable tv channels fail to have 200000 viewers. Xm & Sirius are just that, in essence, 'cable radio'. Stern listeners are shown to be very loyal in these numbers, with over a million showing up for him. That is really good for the future of satellite radio, IMO. It not a service I want to live without, however it ends up with the proposed merger and all.

The only real reason I keep XM now though(internet subscription) is for Ron & Fez. If you have never listened to it, please give it a fair chance sometime. They dont bash, there is no overt 'shock jock' quality to it, just a damn good radio show, each and every day.
post #9 of 101 Old 10-24-2007, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightwing View Post

I do not see how that correlates, necessarily. The show does has a bit more substance than "bash Howard" all day, every day. They have done their fair share of it, though, no doubt. I was just unaware the number of XM listeners was so small. Its a different market though, I suppose, satellite versus terrestial. There are probably times when certain cable tv channels fail to have 200000 viewers. Xm & Sirius are just that, in essence, 'cable radio'. Stern listeners are shown to be very loyal in these numbers, with over a million showing up for him. That is really good for the future of satellite radio, IMO. It not a service I want to live without, however it ends up with the proposed merger and all.

The only real reason I keep XM now though(internet subscription) is for Ron & Fez. If you have never listened to it, please give it a fair chance sometime. They dont bash, there is no overt 'shock jock' quality to it, just a damn good radio show, each and every day.

Ron & Fez are pretty good. id rather them then Bubba. I think if KRock went R&F in AM and O&A in afternoon it might have worked. now who knows.

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

Squeezbox*

post #10 of 101 Old 10-24-2007, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Just an FYI, O&A are gone in Detroit now too. They were on 1270 AM for awhile and were replaced with Mik & Mike ESPN radio. O&A were moved to 97.1 the FM sister station. Now, both AM and FM station are simulcast. The old 97.1 afternoon drive show Deminski and Doyle are on mornings both AM and FM. The rest of the day is sports talk.
post #11 of 101 Old 10-25-2007, 12:28 AM

Quote:

Ron & Fez are pretty good. id rather them then Bubba. I think if KRock went R&F in AM and O&A in afternoon it might have worked. now who knows.

I have thought the very same thing. Unfortunately, I do not believe Mr. Bennington does mornings.

Funny though, one of the only shows that had any pulse with the FreeFm experiment was Ron & Fez, and these guys do not have a show on terrestrial. Ron & Fez are actually radio friendly, and amusing.

Radio executives, however, rarely surprise me anymore when it comes to awful programming decisions.
post #12 of 101 Old 10-25-2007, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

FWIW, O&A brought up the fact this morning that during the 3 months that the ratings were taken, they were on vacation for 2 weeks and suspension for 30 days. So for half of the ratings, they were not on the air.
post #13 of 101 Old 10-25-2007, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

FWIW, O&A brought up the fact this morning that during the 3 months that the ratings were taken, they were on vacation for 2 weeks and suspension for 30 days. So for half of the ratings, they were not on the air.

Sterns off on Fridays and Im sure was on vacation since he takes so damn many so whats O&A point?

Maybe O&A should look in the mirror and stop blaming everything and everyone else for their failors....

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

Squeezbox*

post #14 of 101 Old 10-25-2007, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sterns off on Fridays and Im sure was on vacation since he takes so damn many so whats O&A point?

Maybe O&A should look in the mirror and stop blaming everything and everyone else for their failors....

So the fact that for 1/3 of the time that the data was collected, there was nothing O&A related on the station (no re-runs, no best ofs, no mention of them) and another 1/6 of the time there was only re-runs should not affect the rating? Okay that's reasonable, you win.
post #15 of 101 Old 10-25-2007, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So the fact that for 1/3 of the time that the data was collected, there was nothing O&A related on the station (no re-runs, no best ofs, no mention of them) and another 1/6 of the time there was only re-runs should not affect the rating? Okay that's reasonable, you win.

Pat if that makes you feel better, so be it.....

How about the FM portion of the show. the ratings stink and stations are pulling out left and right.... the show has turned into hack z100 morning type radio.

paying people to listen by offering 1,000 a day for guessing a sound....come on Pat, even you can admit the FM portion of the show stinks!

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

Squeezbox*

post #16 of 101 Old 10-25-2007, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pat if that makes you feel better, so be it.....

How about the FM portion of the show. the ratings stink and stations are pulling out left and right.... the show has turned into hack z100 morning type radio.

paying people to listen by offering 1,000 a day for guessing a sound....come on Pat, even you can admit the FM portion of the show stinks!

FM portion is very hit or miss. Definitely not like it was in the WNEW days, but then again, it can't be, too many liberals nanzi panzi's out there trying to make sure no one's feelings get hurt. Some portions of the FM show are very good. I do enjoy the XM portion much better, which, after all is what we are talking about, right?
post #17 of 101 Old 10-25-2007, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The sad thing is that none of this will probably matter if the merger does not happen.

O&A are SPINNING the results of the ratings, and they know it.

Howard does the same damn thing, so don't flame me for that statement.

They are in a little bit of a pickle.

They are not delivering, and in the radio business that is usually a precursor to execution.

They will always have a job, that is for sure.

But they will never be the syndicated giant like Stern was. Or generate the revenue that he did. They just never will.

You DON'T replace a Howard Stern's revenue generating ability. You just don't.

We can argue all day long about who is better(I prefer Stern most definitely), but you can't get back those ad dollars. Just no way.

Or people like Rush Limbaugh for that matter.

Even Don Imus. For as much as Stern can't understand why the guy get's all the great advertisers, he STILL does.

He seems to be ratings immune. But in the terrestrial radio world, it is about selling ADVERTING at a premium, which he does for one reason or another. He seems to do it, with no explanation.

O&A will always be on the radio somewhere. I just don't see the sydicated giant(and it appears to be shrinking evry quarter) that Stern was.

They may just be happy eventually to be on NYC radio period, where they may eventually claim the #1 spot, but it sure doesn't look like it now.
post #18 of 101 Old 10-26-2007, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your scambling for excuses like O&A. Howard goes on vacation MORE than before, takes Friday off, and still has the #1 rating.

O&A never blame themselves for their lack luster performance. It's always someone's else's fault.

Evil is Good
post #19 of 101 Old 10-26-2007, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, what your saying is IF O&A were on during that time period, they'd have blockbuster ratings.

C'mon.

Evil is Good
post #20 of 101 Old 10-26-2007, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitod View Post

So, what your saying is IF O&A were on during that time period, they'd have blockbuster ratings.

C'mon.

Let's pretend you have a job. Now let's suppose your boss decides to rate your performance on your output for the last three weeks of which 1.5 of those weeks you were not at your job working. Would you feel as though your rating was based on your actual capability?
post #21 of 101 Old 10-26-2007, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Let's pretend you have a job. Now let's suppose your boss decides to rate your performance on your output for the last three weeks of which 1.5 of those weeks you were not at your job working. Would you feel as though your rating was based on your actual capability?

If what your saying is true, it means that when the NEXT ratings come out AND O&A were working most of those days, then their ratings should be through the roof?

Again, are you saying that if they worked every single day during the ratings, they'd equal or excel Howard???

When will you admit that they're insignificant? The ratings for sat and reg radio are awful. You keep fooling yourself the unavoidable.

Evil is Good
post #22 of 101 Old 10-26-2007, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitod View Post

If what your saying is true, it means that when the NEXT ratings come out AND O&A were working most of those days, then their ratings should be through the roof?

Again, are you saying that if they worked every single day during the ratings, they'd equal or excel Howard???

When will you admit that they're insignificant? The ratings for sat and reg radio are awful. You keep fooling yourself the unavoidable.

I don't think that is what I said. Hold on let me re-read it. Nope I didn't.
I have never said that they have the same number or more listeners on Sat than Howie. On the contrary I have said the opposite. No need to put words in my mouth. And "Fooling myself the unavoidable" what the hell does that mean?
post #23 of 101 Old 10-26-2007, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't think that is what I said. Hold on let me re-read it. Nope I didn't.
I have never said that they have the same number or more listeners on Sat than Howie. On the contrary I have said the opposite. No need to put words in my mouth. And "Fooling myself the unavoidable" what the hell does that mean?

You mentioned that they don't have good ratings is because they were out for a period of time. Therefore your implying that if they were on every day, the ratings would be higher. No? I said the same or close to Howard in sarcasim.

"Fooling myself the unavoidable" means, no matter how much proof there is that their days are numbered, you think they'll be around.

Anyway, if they rock your boat, then enjoy. But to constantly find excuses for their awful performance and no talent. Well.....

Evil is Good
post #24 of 101 Old 10-26-2007, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay, last try. Let's use myself as an example, I tune in to channel 202 on average 6 days a week, for a total of an hour each day, during their suspension, I probably tuned in 3 times in a 30 day period for a total of 30 minutes. I am not a rabid fan or a pest, just an average listener so I suspect there are many more like myself. Using this info, draw your own conclusion as to whether or not the results were affected.
post #25 of 101 Old 10-26-2007, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bad FM ratings because of XM....
Bad XM ratings because of suspension.
that about covers it.....
right?

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

Squeezbox*

post #26 of 101 Old 10-27-2007, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay, last try. Let's use myself as an example, I tune in to channel 202 on average 6 days a week, for a total of an hour each day, during their suspension, I probably tuned in 3 times in a 30 day period for a total of 30 minutes. I am not a rabid fan or a pest, just an average listener so I suspect there are many more like myself. Using this info, draw your own conclusion as to whether or not the results were affected.

We'll see what the next ratings show.

Evil is Good
post #27 of 101 Old 10-28-2007, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
O & A are offering to work for free on any Philly station, that they'll take down Preston and Steve, they couldn't do it when they were paid, why would a free show be any different?
http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=499517

Dave
post #28 of 101 Old 10-28-2007, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dave View Post

O & A are offering to work for free on any Philly station, that they'll take down Preston and Steve, they couldn't do it when they were paid, why would a free show be any different?
http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=499517

It just proves that if these guys had any clout, fan base, influence, they'd NEVER work for free. Talk about desperation.

Hear that Pat6366. For free...... Now that's funny.

Evil is Good
post #29 of 101 Old 10-28-2007, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Padcast anyone

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

Squeezbox*

post #30 of 101 Old 10-29-2007, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Even Don Imus. For as much as Stern can't understand why the guy get's all the great advertisers, he STILL does.

Yep... It is really easy to understand though.. It's called Demographics...

It is going o be interesting to see how many of those big time advertisers follow Imus to WABC on Dec. 3rd...
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page