Why does my Sirius rRadio Sound HORRIBLE? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-14-2008, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
needlesmcgirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I just installed this in my car, I have it plugged into an AUX port that works fine for all devices, but for some reason the audio quality for Sirius sounds like a 68 Kbps internet radio station. It sounds over compressed on all stations. All high treble sounds (cymbals, snares, the letters "S" and "T") sound very bad.

I have heard satellite radio before and it has always sounded better than FM. For some reason this sounds far worse than FM. Can someone help me out on this? I'm fairly certain that it should not sound like this.
needlesmcgirk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 01-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Senior Member
 
ClubSteeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by needlesmcgirk View Post

So I just installed this in my car, I have it plugged into an AUX port that works fine for all devices, but for some reason the audio quality for Sirius sounds like a 68 Kbps internet radio station. It sounds over compressed on all stations. All high treble sounds (cymbals, snares, the letters "S" and "T") sound very bad.

I have heard satellite radio before and it has always sounded better than FM. For some reason this sounds far worse than FM. Can someone help me out on this? I'm fairly certain that it should not sound like this.

Satellite radio does NOT sound better than FM. At least it hasn't for a while now. Many years ago it did.

Graphic EQs help a lot.

That said, it doesn't sound nearly as bad as you say. Something is wrong. Try a better AUX cable. Mess with the output power level of your sat radio, maybe you are saturating it. You could have a grounding problem. I don't know.

Mine sounds about on par with FM, but certainly no "s" and "t" problems.
ClubSteeler is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 01-14-2008, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
needlesmcgirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have not problems with any other device plugged in to the port, so I really don't think it has anything to do with that. Not sure how grounding could have anything to do with this, I'm not hearing feedback or static noise. Like I said, it just sounds like very compressed audio. Maybe this is just how it sounds, but its definitely not on par with FM.

Don't know how to make any changes to the output power level of the radio.
needlesmcgirk is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 01-14-2008, 01:12 PM
Senior Member
 
ClubSteeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by needlesmcgirk View Post

I have not problems with any other device plugged in to the port, so I really don't think it has anything to do with that. Not sure how grounding could have anything to do with this, I'm not hearing feedback or static noise. Like I said, it just sounds like very compressed audio. Maybe this is just how it sounds, but its definitely not on par with FM.

Don't know how to make any changes to the output power level of the radio.

Unfortunately, it is........ (very compressed audio). As Mel K said, we offer superior content, and are NOT targeting audiophiles.

The most popular music channels are a little less compressed. The talk channels are WAYYYYYYY compressed.

What Sirius radio do you have?
ClubSteeler is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 01-14-2008, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
needlesmcgirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got the Starmate 4. Does the radio itself make any difference at all?

Also, when I activated it, the lady (who I didn't really understand that well) asked me if I wanted to pay $2.99 per month extra for cd quality sound, and I asked her if she meant for the internet radio, and she said yes, but this confused me. Did't know if this had anyhting to do with it.
needlesmcgirk is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 01-14-2008, 02:59 PM
Senior Member
 
ClubSteeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by needlesmcgirk View Post

I got the Starmate 4. Does the radio itself make any difference at all?

Also, when I activated it, the lady (who I didn't really understand that well) asked me if I wanted to pay $2.99 per month extra for cd quality sound, and I asked her if she meant for the internet radio, and she said yes, but this confused me. Did't know if this had anyhting to do with it.

Yeah, it's internet. The internet stream is free to subscribers, but the hi quality stream is extra.

Press menu and go to Audio Levels and tweek it. Maybe it is driving out too much and saturating giving you the "t" and "s" problems.

Also go ahead an turn off the FM transmitter since you are using the AUX cable.

Make sure you are using the line out and not FM Out jack.

Other than that, maybe you just expected a lot more, or maybe your sound is rally bad. I really can't tell without hearing it. Like I said, it should FM Quality, or close to it.

The reason I am having you check this stuff is becasue I us an FM transmitter to broadcast Sirius through my whole house. If I crank it up too high, I get the cymbal/T/S thing. My transmitter has a dial to reduce the levels and this clears it up.
ClubSteeler is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 01-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Newbie
 
rp77beach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had the same exact problem with my 2006 civic. ran the mini to mini cable from the sirius to my ipod input and it sounded worse than a tape cassette. i took it to a car audio company and they told me having it hard wired with an fm modulator would give it cd quality sound for ONLY 55 bucks out the door. i had them do this to my surprise it ended up costing almost 90 bucks. AND sounded still JUST AS BAD!! except now my crisp clear favorite radio stations on FM are all staticy and fuzzy! even when the sirius radio is off. Apparently from this stupid 90 dollar fm modulator. In the long run i ended up cancelling my year subscription with sirius getting a full refund which i had to get upset to pull. i am taking my car back to have them remove their fm modulator and hopefully refund my 87 dollars and then taking my sirius receiver w/ car kit back to target for hopefully in store credit. i find it hard to pay 340 dollars total and end up with music that sounds like a back seat boombox. ugh. you would think to pay alot for a subscription it would at least sound as good as the FREE fm radio! wish you alot of luck! sorry for our troubles.
rp77beach is offline  
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off