dmrs40v stopped recording - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-27-2008, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
system never worked great on fr, but has over 100 hours of sucessful recording of timed , scheduled, etc. now no type of recording works. i press record , record lights up, but counter won't start. counter won't start on fr either, however , once it thinks it's recording it won't stop. i have to unplug it. tried every kind of re-boot. troubleshooting guide says recording could be disabled. any ideas? if so, how do you fix it? oops, meant dmr-es40v panasonic.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-28-2008, 04:36 AM

I've got a DMR-ES40V too. Sorry, I've got no suggestions. I used to use mine a lot but now have it unplugged and use it only when I transfer my camcorder recordings.

I've read that some Panasonics had issues with bulging or leaking capacitors so I opened it up a few days ago to check and see if any capacitors (the ones near the power supply) had leaked or bulged but mine were ok. You might want to check for this. I don't know if leaking capacitors could cause the symptons your machine shows.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-28-2008, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I also have a DMR-ES40V. Due to bugs and design flaws uncorrected by the firmware update this machine is seldom used for recording. It is the occasional DVD/VHS player on the family TV.

I am stumped by the problems you are experiencing.

I have found leakage of the largest electrolytic capacitor in the power supply to be common on 2006 models. (Your DMR-ES40V was probably manufactured in 2005. The first number in the serial number indicates year of manufacture.) I have not examined the power supply in my DMR-ES40V. I have examined the power supplies in my two DMR-ES30V models (also from 2005). Those power supplies have two large electrolytic capacitors instead of one as in 2006 models. Neither of the DMR-ES30V models exhibit leakage.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #4 of 4 Old 03-02-2008, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Left it unplugged for another 24 hours and just happened to try to to record again just after turning off the device sending the material to be recorded. It was going into input 1. This seemed to "activate" the machine as though it were not previously recognizing the signal to IN1, even though the signal was passing through the machine to the TV. So it is at least doing some basic recording for now. I am supposed to receive a firmware release for update this week from Panasonic. Who knows what this will do......Thanks for the heads up about the capacitors...
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page