Panasonic DMR ES20 . copyright protection? CPRM? FR mode no pause etc - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-28-2008, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
my ES10 burned out and I bought an ES20 from Ebay, New In Box. Now I am regretting it for the following reasons.

1. FR mode does not allow pause. This is a critical feature for omitting ads in real time without having to do it on the PC later. You can still pause in the other modes XP, SP, LP....

2. FR mode auto creates chapters about 90 seconds apart!! In XP mode, the chapters are also auto created but the splits are about 4:30 to 5:15 (min:seconds) apart which is normal and customary on Pannys I believe.

3. the worst feature is that on ANY mode, there seems to be copyright protection on any tv show, game etc where you cannot even play the FINALIZED disc on any other dvd player, dvd recorder, or PC drive. THUS I HAD TO extract the vob files using DVD Decrypter and that only in IFO mode (File Mode did not work for extraction). Then I had to reauthor the video then burn it to another disc.

also, Windows or PowerDVD can only see the beginning files and play only about the first 5% of any total video before jumping back to the root menu as if the movie is over. This really seems like some copyright scheme gone terribly wrong. I was just trying to copy the local news to a blank dvd-r in XP mode , after finalizing, it did the same thing, not play in the pc dvd drive, altough shows 4.3gb of data but opening it does not show but the first vob of about 400mb or something.

anybody have experience with these issues?

what about the firmware upgrade U3-150, does it solve any of these problems?

any help is appreciated..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-28-2008, 07:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 356
From your description, your problem is not a copy protection issue. If it was flagged with the copy-once flag, you would only be able to record to RAM. Only RAM and DVD-RW are CPRM compliant media. Panasonic only supports CPRM on RAM. So if it was a copy protection issue and you tried to record to -R or -RW, the recorder would refuse and give a copy protection error.

It is not stated in you post what your source is: OTA, cable, sat or FIOS?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 13 Old 02-28-2008, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the reply. Source is comcast cable tv. I was just trying to record random CNN and for 1 hr XP and still was not able to play it on my PC drive with powerDVD, although the 4.3GB is showing. I bought the unit with some research but now I leard the ES20 has a bad reputation. All my blanks are DVD-R , 8x Taiyo Yuden premium line.
post #4 of 13 Old 02-28-2008, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The DMR-ES20 is a model manufactured in 2005. Are you sure that this model was new and not mis-represented by the seller as being new? If you have documentation such as the invoice that states that this unit is new, Panasonic should provide customer support (through the phone number found on the orange sticker on the top of the case and on the front of the Operating Instructions. New Panasonics have a one year warranty.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #5 of 13 Old 02-29-2008, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

it was received new in box. With all the elements still in wrapped plastic, with manual, cords. Even the dvd tray was still taped to the side to prevent it from sliding open.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-29-2008, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
If that is the case, machine was sold as new by a authorized dealer, you should be able to have it serviced under the 1yr warranty. The warranty starts the day the unit was actually sold for the first time, not how old it is. Note with all your issues with this machine I personally would try and get your money back, and look for a new in box(2 yr old) ES-15. They have none of the issues you have and you should be able to find them for ~$100. The Sams club near me has stacks and stacks of them for $129, which IMO is a little high, since I bought 2 of mine for $99 at Ultimate Electronics when they were clearing them out the end of last year. No issues with them, other than the occasional spindle cleaning.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-29-2008, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the advice as i will try to redeem the mfg warranty.

the finalized pc does play on my standalone Magnavox dvd player but not on the PC.

also , tried a 1hr xp version and it did not even fill the disk, only went to 4.01GB.

finally, unplugged and plugged back in, only to find the clock time was lost with a blinking 12:00 !!

weird unit. Don't ever buy one of these ES20s !!!

I called Pan support 1800 211 7262 and they are mailing me firmware # U3-158 which is not available online. I don't think this will help , will probably just try to return it if the ebay seller will be good enough to give a refund.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-29-2008, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I have an ES20 and have no recording problems. The only bug I ever experienced is a known problem with scheduled timer recordings using certain parameters.

I use mainly DVD-RAM, but occasionally use DVD-R and have recorded whatever I wanted from Comcast expanded basic without a hitch.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-01-2008, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

mike,

can you pause in FR mode? does it create 90 second chapters in FR mode? if unplugged, does the closk setting go to 12:00?
post #10 of 13 Old 03-01-2008, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidehf View Post

mike,

can you pause in FR mode? does it create 90 second chapters in FR mode? if unplugged, does the closk setting go to 12:00?

Cannot pause in FR mode. I only use this mode when doing a scheduled timer recording. You stated the FR mode auto creates chapters about 90 seconds apart. Are you doing this in timer mode?

My clock has always auto-set itself, even after unplugging. It may take a while, but it has always found the correct time. In fact last fall I tried to disable the auto-set feature because daylight saving time changed on new day & it kept displaying the old standard time. My work around was to either change the time zone or utilize the offset feature by 1 hour. I did this until we were within the old daylight saving time period & then the unit worked as it should.
post #11 of 13 Old 09-01-2008, 04:22 PM

I have a panny es15 that started to do this just today. I have no idea what happened lately other than my ATT uverse fiber has pushed up DVR updates lately - could that have something to do with it? I tried using a DVD-RW but it won't work either. I can't record anything...anyone have any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-25-2009, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUgrad1 View Post

I have a panny es15 that started to do this just today. I have no idea what happened lately other than my ATT uverse fiber has pushed up DVR updates lately - could that have something to do with it? I tried using a DVD-RW but it won't work either. I can't record anything...anyone have any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

I know this is an old thread, but I also have a DMR ES20 that started getting copyright protection errors from UVERSE around that time. It is not all channels though, but they definitely started sending CP flags around that time.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-26-2009, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottman View Post

I know this is an old thread, but I also have a DMR ES20 that started getting copyright protection errors from UVERSE around that time. It is not all channels though, but they definitely started sending CP flags around that time.

Have you updated the firmware?

DMR-ES20 DVD Recorder Firmware Update
Version: U3-161
Models: DMR-ES20K, DMR-ES20S
Instructions: Issues Addressed
Resolves scheduled recordings not completing when 2 or more recordings are scheduled per week.
Resolves U99 error message displaying after reading "Search and Rescue" DVD-Video.
Improves Flexible Recording.
Resolves scheduled recordings not completing when recording is set to begin before midnight and end after midnight.
Resolves "!" being displayed on the Scheduled Recording table when enough space is available to complete the recording.
Improves playability of DVD-R discs finalized on the DVD Recorder in PC DVD drives with DVD player software.
Improves Auto Clock Setting functionality.
Improves Daily and Weekly Scheduled Recording.
Corrects DVD-Video playback due to Region Code error.
Resolves the "split screen" symptom caused by changing from Interlaced to Progressive Scan.
Resolves the remote code inexplicably changing.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page