Official Panasonic DMR-EZ28K thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Video Components > DVD Recorders (Standard Def) > Official Panasonic DMR-EZ28K thread

DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

jjeff's Avatar jjeff
12:31 PM Liked: 99
post #271 of 884
10-23-2008 | Posts: 9,947
equidae, No way to display the firmware on the Pannys, it's best to just try the update and it will give you a error code if it already has the update. Truth be told I've never had good luck with updates fixing any of the problems I had with the EZ series Pannys but I guess it can't hurt.
Yes everything is downconverted to 480i and then upconverted back to HD if you've set it up that way. The fact that the result is even anywhere near the true HD from your TVs tuner attests to the great digital tuner in the Panny EZ-28. I noticed similar results.
One of these days I suppose I should get a Oppo player, everybody seems to rave about them for their PQ. I usually use Sony Players because of their feature set. OT but do Oppos have title and chapter remaining for a display and do they display on it's external display, eg. not just OSD? I like to have the players display set to remaining title but of course keep the OSD off. I also like the speed play feature on my Sonys, 1.1-1.4X playback with audio. Do any Oppos have that feature? I'm sure the Oppos don't have the disc resume feature, where it remembers the last 6 discs played and where they left off. I suppose I could live without that handy feature, but the other features are a must for my player.

lumpylbk, Sorry to hear about your bad luck. The EZs aren't nearly as reliable as the older ES series DVDRs. I'm not sure you're going to find much better though, maybe a Philips 3576 if you want to spend the extra money. If you can believe it last years EZ-x7 series were even worse, IMO.
mseidman's Avatar mseidman
06:42 PM Liked: 10
post #272 of 884
10-24-2008 | Posts: 1
A question for you folks,

I currently own the the EZ27 and when I record/monitor 16x9 WS video from the Cable box (HD channel output over S-Video), the video on the tv displays proper 16x9 aspect but not using the whole screen real estate (shrunken image). Panasonic says, this is how the device works.

Has anyone experienced this issue on the EZ28?

Thanks.

-mws
Westly-C's Avatar Westly-C
09:13 PM Liked: 75
post #273 of 884
10-24-2008 | Posts: 3,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by mseidman View Post

I currently own the the EZ27 and when I record/monitor 16x9 WS video from the Cable box (HD channel output over S-Video), the video on the tv displays proper 16x9 aspect but not using the whole screen real estate (shrunken image). Panasonic says, this is how the device works.

Thanks.

-mws

You must go into the settings menu in the EZ27and adjust the TV aspect ratio setting. Go to Functions, then under Setup, go to the TV screen tab and change TV Type to 16:9.
Note that for the digital channels of your local tv stations, not all the shows will be broadcast in 16:9-mostly it's the primetime lineups, sports and the local newscasts. Syndicated rerun shows-at least on my local station's digital channels, are in 4:8, resulting in their appearing in the square picture with black bars down the sides and the top and bottom..
equidae's Avatar equidae
09:14 PM Liked: 10
post #274 of 884
10-24-2008 | Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

No way to display the firmware on the Pannys, it's best to just try the update and it will give you a error code if it already has the update.

Well, guess I'll just have to give it a try this weekend and see what happens. For what it's worth, I've used my unit to record over 100 hours of video since I bought it in September and had only 3-4 freezes, none of which happened while actively recording or finalizing. It's more an occasional annoyance than anything.

Quote:

Yes everything is downconverted to 480i and then upconverted back to HD if you've set it up that way. The fact that the result is even anywhere near the true HD from your TVs tuner attests to the great digital tuner in the Panny EZ-28. I noticed similar results.

The tuner was a major factor in my choice to purchase this unit, though I've yet to actually record from it. After buying the unit, I discovered that my Dish Network DVR has an OTA tuner, which I've been using for sheer convenience. Will have to try recording with the built-in tuner one of these days and see if I have the same issues others have mentioned on the thread.

Quote:

One of these days I suppose I should get a Oppo player, everybody seems to rave about them for their PQ. I usually use Sony Players because of their feature set. OT but do Oppos have title and chapter remaining for a display and do they display on it's external display, eg. not just OSD?

The 980H has a fairly small LED display on the front panel that can show time remaining, time elapsed, etc., as well as an on-screen display you can bring up with a remote key. Not sure offhand about chapter remaining though.

Quote:

I like to have the players display set to remaining title but of course keep the OSD off. I also like the speed play feature on my Sonys, 1.1-1.4X playback with audio. Do any Oppos have that feature?

The 980H doesn't have this, but not sure about the higher-end models. I don't see it in a quick perusal of the features for the 981 or 983, but the lists I'm finding don't seem to be exhaustive. There are threads for all three models on AVS though, and I'm sure you can find out there!

Quote:

I'm sure the Oppos don't have the disc resume feature, where it remembers the last 6 discs played and where they left off.

Actually all Oppo models have resume. My 980H has a memory of (I think) 12 discs. I agree, it's a great feature! Dollar for dollar, I really think you can't do any better than Oppo. They're not the cheapest or the most expensive, but you really do get what you pay for.

-AD
Mike99's Avatar Mike99
12:07 AM Liked: 53
post #275 of 884
10-25-2008 | Posts: 3,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by mseidman View Post

Thanks.

-mws

If your cable box is like my Motorola Comcast box, it only puts out a shrunken 16:9 image from the S-Video output. So you will need to zoom the image on your TV. I have an EZ17 and the problem when recording is that you are wasting a lot of pixels recording all the black border. In order to record a full screen 16:9 picture you need to use the component output of your cable box, presuming it's like a lot of other boxes. Then you need a component to S-Video converter so that you can feed the signal to your recorder. Look for the recent thread about a cheaper S-Video converter.
jjeff's Avatar jjeff
07:18 AM Liked: 99
post #276 of 884
10-25-2008 | Posts: 9,947
equidae, Thanks for the OT comment about the Oppos I'll check further in the DVD players forum. It sounds like they may indeed work for me.
Mike99, you beat me to the punch, I was also thinking his STB might not be outputting full screen 16x9. mseidman, to check what your STB is outputting take the cable you currently have going to your EZ-28 and run it directly to your TV. If it's letterboxed or postage stamped that's all you get for recording. As Mike said you'll either need a different STB with full WS output over S-video output or a component to S-video converter like Mike mentioned.
Brad_P's Avatar Brad_P
10:25 AM Liked: 10
post #277 of 884
10-27-2008 | Posts: 51
Hello all

I just bought the EZ-28 today. Overall so far it seems like a good unit. I do have one issue and some minor issues perhaps someome can help me with:

1) It plays DIVX files good from both DVD and USB (a 2GB SD Card via a card reader). However, videos in 4:3 are stretched to 16:9 and will not display in 4:3 with black side-bars. I have the HDMI Output Display Aspect set to Normal. To get it 4:3, I have to change the display on my Samsung 42in plasma that displays with grey side-bars and I hate anything but black! Having said that, if I play a normal DVD of a TV show that was 4:3, the black side bars will appear. So it seems it won't display DIVX 4:3 video in 4:3?

2) When playing from a USB memory device, 'USB' flashes on the player's display. This is kind of annoying. I doubt there is a way to get that to stop?

3) Is there an autoplay setting to go to a DVD immediately?

One other annoying factor is I wish they swapped the Eject and Power buttons. With the Power button over the disc tray, my first instinct is to press what is the Power button to eject the disc!

Thanks
DigaDo's Avatar DigaDo
11:20 AM Liked: 23
post #278 of 884
10-27-2008 | Posts: 4,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_P View Post

3) Is there an autoplay setting to go to a DVD immediately?

The method of play for a DVD depends on the setting used during the finalization process.

Under DVD Management the middle option will let you set or reset the default from Playback will start with: Top Menu or First Titlle. Once that selection has been made and a disc has been finalized that becomes the default until changed. The Top Menu option shows thumbnails and titles.

The chosen setting will be operative whenever the disc is played on the DMR-EZ28 and other playback devices.

If you choose the First Title setting the Top Menu may still be displayed by pressing Direct Navigator on the Panasonic remote.
rperlberg's Avatar rperlberg
01:56 PM Liked: 10
post #279 of 884
11-11-2008 | Posts: 199
I reported back in May that I encountered an anomaly with my first DMR-EZ28 whereby the machine seemed to lock up after finishing a timer recording. At that time I reset the machine because I was not willing to sacrifice the next event for the sake of experimentation. The phenomenon has just recurred on another one of my EZ28's. At the very least, this does not seem to be a frequent problem. This time I had the luxury of being able to experiment since I had a spare machine which I could use for making a backup recording.

I had the machine programmed for 2 events, Sunday 6:29 pm - 7:01 pm, and Monday 7:59 pm - 11:01 pm. After recording the first event, the machine displayed the record mode and the time remaining, which indicated that it had recorded the full length of the event, and the little red timer indicator, whereas it should have been displaying the clock and the timer indicator. I looked at the output of the machine and it was still tuned to and outputting the channel of the event. I did some fiddling with the remote to see if I could ascertain what kind of mode it was in. I was able to bring up the Functions menu and the Program screen. When I exited the Program screen it displayed the "Turn off recorder to enable Scheduled Recording." prompt. It seemed to be operating as if it were "On" except for the fact that it was still displaying the timer indicator, which it should never do when it's "On". It did not respond to the Power button on the machine. I did not try the Power button on the remote since it would have affected the other machines in the stack.

I checked the machine again about 16 hours later and the machine was still in the same funky mode, indicating that the 6 hour inactivity timer had not operated.

I checked the machine again after the 2nd event was supposed to start and, surprise, it was recording! After the event, the machine went into standby mode just as it should. I checked the disc and everything had been recorded.

So, it seems that this anomaly is nothing to worry about. In fact, it may well have happened more times than I'm aware of since it leaves no evidence.
DigaDo's Avatar DigaDo
10:20 AM Liked: 23
post #280 of 884
12-04-2008 | Posts: 4,680
Lately my DMR-EZ28 has averaged around two to three freeze-ups per week. It seems that these freeze-ups occur after auditioning a finalized disc in Direct Navigator. The display shows "NAV" and the machine is unresponsive to the remote.

All of these freeze ups have been cleared by pressing the tiny recessed RESET button found between the USB input and the STOP button behind the fold-down door. Once the RESET button is pushed there is the 000000 routine and the machine powers off. Then the machine may be powered up. The machine is "normal" again (until the next time).

And the bugs go on . . .
garypen's Avatar garypen
10:02 AM Liked: 10
post #281 of 884
12-05-2008 | Posts: 800
I'm sure this has been covered before, but if you are still using the factory firmware, you may want to try a firmware update. If you already have the latest, the unit will let you know when you attempt to update.

FW and instructions can be found here:
http://www.pasctraining.panasonic.co...loads/DVDR.ASP
Rixter's Avatar Rixter
02:54 PM Liked: 10
post #282 of 884
12-05-2008 | Posts: 4
Got a new EZ28 and in the first weekend it froze up no less than 1/2 a dozen times. Had to pull the power-plug each time to reset. Holding the power button down didn't make a difference. Unit completely unresponsive in a powered-on state.

Do I stick this out or return it while I can and get a PVR?
jjeff's Avatar jjeff
03:02 PM Liked: 99
post #283 of 884
12-05-2008 | Posts: 9,947
When did it freeze up, that is what were you doing prior to its lockups?
If you could exchange it easily I'd sure try that route first. Hopefully you bought it B&M and won't have to deal with shipping. Personally unless I got it dirt cheap I'd be leery to purchase ANY DVDR mail order. There just too problematic to risk it having to ship it back.
It shouldn't be locking up that "often" and I'd suspect a problem with your unit. Sadly a lockup every couple months seems to be the norm with most any new DVDR but not to your extent.
Rixter's Avatar Rixter
03:11 PM Liked: 10
post #284 of 884
12-05-2008 | Posts: 4
Thanks Jeff. I see a firmware download that I might try, but in reading the problems that others are having I'm going to give the PVR a try first. And yes I did buy it at a local store, nothing mailorder. Cheers
rayfornario's Avatar rayfornario
07:04 PM Liked: 10
post #285 of 884
12-08-2008 | Posts: 139
I have had my EZ-28 for about 5 months now. It replaced my EZ47 which died after 1 year of service.
I have noticed that my machine turns itself on at exactly 7:00 pm a few nights out of the week. Nothing is in the schedule so it is a mystery to me. Its stays on for about 2 minutes and then turns itself back off.
Anyone with ideas on what is causing this?

Mr. Hanky's Avatar Mr. Hanky
10:43 PM Liked: 32
post #286 of 884
12-08-2008 | Posts: 6,080
My best guess- it has reached a level of machine self-awareness and is now keeping tabs on your behavior patterns (specifically around 7:00 pm) to accelerate its AI development.

Alternatively, have you tried a factory-defaults reset?
rgazzara's Avatar rgazzara
08:12 AM Liked: 10
post #287 of 884
12-09-2008 | Posts: 2,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfornario View Post

I have had my EZ-28 for about 5 months now. It replaced my EZ47 which died after 1 year of service.
I have noticed that my machine turns itself on at exactly 7:00 pm a few nights out of the week. Nothing is in the schedule so it is a mystery to me. Its stays on for about 2 minutes and then turns itself back off.
Anyone with ideas on what is causing this?

It might be doing a time check, although I haven't seen mine do this. Maybe mine does it during the wee hours of the morning.
Westly-C's Avatar Westly-C
12:27 PM Liked: 75
post #288 of 884
12-09-2008 | Posts: 3,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

My best guess- it has reached a level of machine self-awareness and is now keeping tabs on your behavior patterns (specifically around 7:00 pm) to accelerate its AI development.

Skynet cometh!

bill-tb's Avatar bill-tb
07:44 AM Liked: 10
post #289 of 884
12-11-2008 | Posts: 54
I am looking at getting an EZ28 and would like to know from those who have one -- Is it practical to use it as a DVR with RAM discs? or is it too cumbersome to do?

It seems like it should work ...
jjeff's Avatar jjeff
08:06 AM Liked: 99
post #290 of 884
12-11-2008 | Posts: 9,947
Yes a RAM disc works just like a HDD, just a little slower to access. The big drawback is the limited size. If you're like many you'll be using SP for better picture quality. With 2 hours storage it's hard to be recording something while viewing something else unless you have short programs you're recording.
Other than the size limitation they work just like a DVR.
bill-tb's Avatar bill-tb
09:14 AM Liked: 10
post #291 of 884
12-11-2008 | Posts: 54
Thanks Jeff, I knew about the record time limits, but fortunately I am looking at a secondary solution for shows that I just want to watch for information ... I plan on getting a 3576 HD recorder for the recordings I want to keep.

Not much for choices out there for multi-tuner recorders.
jjeff's Avatar jjeff
11:43 AM Liked: 99
post #292 of 884
12-11-2008 | Posts: 9,947
You may or may not want to hold out for a DTVPal DVR then. You could use that for time shifting (it has dual tuners) and your 3576 for off loading things to DVD. The Pal also records in HD and wouldn't cost a whole lot more than a EZ-28 retail. Just something else to think about.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=972197
nashvillecat's Avatar nashvillecat
02:11 PM Liked: 10
post #293 of 884
12-16-2008 | Posts: 768
Is there anywhere I can get me a service manual for this unit?
BIG ED's Avatar BIG ED
10:27 PM Liked: 12
post #294 of 884
12-22-2008 | Posts: 3,290
Anyone recording music w/this?
How does it do w/CD's to DVD-R's?
Thanks
------------------------
Crystal Ball Time:
When do BD/HD standalone disc records come down below $500US?
Does anyone record in SD (w/this unit) & HD (w/something else) now?
Anyone know of a CES '09 recorder announcements the works (w/CES still wks away)?
Thanks & enjoy!
DigaDo's Avatar DigaDo
09:55 AM Liked: 23
post #295 of 884
12-23-2008 | Posts: 4,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillecat View Post

Is there anywhere I can get me a service manual for this unit?

Service Manuals in the PDF format may be downloaded for a fee from nodevice.com. The 24 hour rate is limited to seven service manuals. The Panasonic DVD recorder service manuals are the Canadian English versions.

There are no service manuals for Panasonic's 2008 models to be found at nodevice.com. The closest model to the DMR-EZ28 is the DMR-EZ27 from 2007. The main differences between these 2007 and 2008 models are in their Digital PCBs and DVD drives. Panasonic Service Manuals do not address these differences. In the DMR-EZ17 Service Manual (at page 7) this reason is given:

"This service manual does not contain the following information because of the impossibility of servicing at component level[:]

[1] Schematic Diagram, Block Diagram and PCB layout of Digital PCB.
[2] Parts List for individual parts of Digital PCB.
[3] Exploded View and Parts List for individual parts of DVD Drive."

On the nodevice.com website the current download list of Panasonic Service Manuals runs to 200 pages. The DMR Service Manuals, including that for the DMR-EZ27, is currently found on page 74.
BIG ED's Avatar BIG ED
12:27 PM Liked: 12
post #296 of 884
12-23-2008 | Posts: 3,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

You may or may not want to hold out for a DTVPal DVR then. You could use that for time shifting (it has dual tuners) and your 3576 for off loading things to DVD. The Pal also records in HD and wouldn't cost a whole lot more than a EZ-28 retail. Just something else to think about.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=972197

If, & that's a BIG "if", they'll ship it too you!
Clipper01's Avatar Clipper01
09:55 PM Liked: 10
post #297 of 884
12-23-2008 | Posts: 8
Start with the DVD player in the off/standby mode (clock time showing) with disc tray empty and closed.
Hold down the (CH UP), (REC) and (Open/Close) buttons on the recorder simultaneously for 5-6 seconds release when Bye,Hello appears and wait. Hello blinks for approx. 30 sec., it then cycles through, Read, SM, InI and finally NoDisc or SM. You are now in the Service Mode (SM)

Enter the following numbers on the remote and various code responses are shown:

No. DVD window action/code.

00 Resets SM mode (Stops any on-going SM tasks)
01 Error code (Retained) Mine shows F00 (No Errors)
02 Firmware Versions:
1. Region code (DVD) (displayed for 5 sec.)
2. Main firmware version (displayed for 5 sec.)
3. Timer firmware version (displayed for 5 sec.)
4. Drive firmware version (displayed for 5 sec.)
5. ROM correction version (left displayed)
My DVR cycles: 1, 4370d2, 000005, J158 to 001

61 Date unit was produced YYMMDD Mine is 080821

The method of entering SM was taken from a DMR EH55 service manual which explains in detail what various remote key presses display. Hopefully someone will download a DMR-EZ27 service manual which is closer to our model and update us on any differences.

Turning the DVR off restores the unit to normal operating mode

Using my information my DVR is Region 1(USA), the main firmware is 4370d2 which I assume is Firmware D2-370. I'm not quite sure what the 4 means. I also see no listing for a 370 firmware on Panasonic's update page.
I thought I had successfully updated to D2-377 with the firmware update CD.
I would appreciate it if anyone else accesses the SM to report their firmware version for comparison purposes.

Mike
DigaDo's Avatar DigaDo
10:11 PM Liked: 23
post #298 of 884
12-23-2008 | Posts: 4,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper01 View Post

Start with the DVD player in the off/standby mode (clock time showing) with disc tray empty and closed.
Hold down the (CH UP), (REC) and (Open/Close) buttons on the recorder simultaneously for 5-6 seconds release when “Bye”,“Hello” appears and wait. “Hello” blinks for approx. 30 sec., it then cycles through, Read, SM, InI and finally NoDisc or SM. You are now in the Service Mode (SM)

Enter the following numbers on the remote and various code responses are shown:

No. DVD window action/code.

00 Resets SM mode (Stops any on-going SM tasks)
01 Error code (Retained) Mine shows F00 (No Errors)
02 Firmware Versions:
1. Region code (DVD) (displayed for 5 sec.)
2. Main firmware version (displayed for 5 sec.)
3. Timer firmware version (displayed for 5 sec.)
4. Drive firmware version (displayed for 5 sec.)
5. ROM correction version (left displayed)
My DVR cycles: 1, 4370d2, 000005, J158 to 001

61 Date unit was produced YYMMDD Mine is 080821

The method of entering SM was taken from a DMR EH55 service manual which explains in detail what various remote key presses display. Hopefully someone will download a DMR-EZ27 service manual which is closer to our model and update us on any differences.

Turning the DVR off restores the unit to normal operating mode

Using my information my DVR is Region 1(USA), the main firmware is 4370d2 which I assume is Firmware D2-370. I'm not quite sure what the 4 means. I also see no listing for a 370 firmware on Panasonic's update page.
I thought I had successfully updated to D2-377 with the firmware update CD.
I would appreciate it if anyone else accesses the SM to report their firmware version for comparison purposes.

Mike

I must point out that Service Mode is entered in a different manner for DVD recorders than for combo recorders.

Once in Service Mode most of the commands may be the same across several models. I use the word "most" as a caution. Be sure to consult the Service Manual for the model you own. Certain commands activate, deactivate or change certain features and operational characteristics. Do not experiment in Service Mode. You may be sorry.
pvechart's Avatar pvechart
12:06 PM Liked: 10
post #299 of 884
12-28-2008 | Posts: 1
I just bought the Panasonic EZ28K. Works OK except I can't detect any improved PQ or resolution when the HDMI is set to upconvert to 720P when viewing a DVD movie. I have a 42" LG 720P HDTV. I switch back and forth between the 480P and the 720P setting and there is no visible difference. The TV display status shows the correct resolution when I switch. Has anyone else done this test to actually see any difference? Could the HDMI cable quality have anything to do with this? I am using a cable from Monoprice. Last night I came home and saw U99 on the Panny display! The unit was not set for any recording or anything! After hitting the power botton a couple of times i got it to work again. The build date is August 2008so should'nt the firmware be the latest? Any help is appreciated.
Mike99's Avatar Mike99
01:35 PM Liked: 53
post #300 of 884
12-28-2008 | Posts: 3,067
pvechart,

I have an older ES20 and EZ17 and both are connected to the TV via component cables. While these do not upconvert, I can choose 480i or 480p. I use 480i because my Sony HDTV does a better job converting to its native resolution. As others have previously mentioned, sometimes a TV does a better job of upconverting than the DVD recorder/player. In your case it seems like a tie. I use a Monoprice HDMI cable from my HD STB to my TV and it works just fine.
Tags: Panasonic

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Subscribe to this Thread