Official Panasonic DMR-EZ28K thread - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #481 of 876 Old 07-13-2009, 01:17 PM
Member
 
rperlberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Glad my post was of help. The status message pop up while more prevalent on the EZ Panasonics also happen occasionally with the ES series too. Most notably I was watching a show live through a ES tuner a while back and the MTS stereo signal kept coming and going for some reason(not the fault of the Panny but the broadcast). Every time it would change the OSD would pop up for a few seconds. After a few minutes of this annoying behavior I disabled the OSD messages and all was well. I normally do like to keep it on though, for one thing it tells you when you've paused or unpaused a live recording but when it becomes annoying it's relatively easy to disable.

I discovered one of the reasons for the status display popping up while watching the tuner. The status display will pop up whenever the program title changes in the PSIP stream, i.e., at the start of each program. At least you can categorize this as a "feature", albeit an annoying one.
rperlberg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #482 of 876 Old 07-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Member
 
catnap1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rperlberg View Post

I discovered one of the reasons for the status display popping up while watching the tuner. The status display will pop up whenever the program title changes in the PSIP stream, i.e., at the start of each program. At least you can categorize this as a "feature", albeit an annoying one.

I'm wondering if that "feature" is what's hobbling my EZ37...it seems to be paying too close attention to what it's being fed (inputs) then complaining (self test) if it doesn't like it.

Shame there's no way to disable it.
catnap1972 is offline  
post #483 of 876 Old 07-13-2009, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DigaDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest.
Posts: 4,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnap1972 View Post

I'm wondering if that "feature" is what's hobbling my EZ37...it seems to be paying too close attention to what it's being fed (inputs) then complaining (self test) if it doesn't like it.

Shame there's no way to disable it.

There is. I believe the menu entry is something like enable/disable messages/alerts. Once disabled, the information may still be viewed by pressing the STATUS button once or twice.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
DigaDo is offline  
post #484 of 876 Old 07-15-2009, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
wvasko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Central IL
Posts: 723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well my DMR ES-25 died last night after 2 yrs of use, I called Panasonic up and got the usual ship it out to Texas. That I will decide on later. Is the EZ-28 a decent replacement. I did not want to have to read whole thread, any help appreciated

Please, Dumb It Down For Me.
wvasko is offline  
post #485 of 876 Old 07-15-2009, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DigaDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest.
Posts: 4,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvasko View Post

Well my DMR ES-25 died last night after 2 yrs of use, I called Panasonic up and got the usual ship it out to Texas. That I will decide on later. Is the EZ-28 a decent replacement. I did not want to have to read whole thread, any help appreciated

Of the current EZ series models the EZ28 is probably the best. I have one EZ28 in daily use.

What price did Panasonic quote on a replacement EZ28?

What problem(s) is/are the ES25 experiencing? Sometimes a routine DVD Drive lens and rubber hub cleaning is all that's needed. Another problem may be a failed power supply capacitor. A more serious problem is a failed laser assembly. The lack of an internal fan in a ES25 contributes to heat-related failure. The ES25 has a heat sink for the CPU on the Digital PCB. The EZ28 has an internal fan but no heat sink on the CPU.

I keep all my recorders out in the open for best air circulation. I've also set up supplemental cooling fans directed toward the recorders in my home office. When supplemental cooling fans are in use routine DVD Drive cleaning is required more often, perhaps at six month intervals. Spacers improve air flow for stacked recorders. CRT TVs and other heat producing equipment are kept at a distance from recorders. These measures help maintain recorder functionality, especially during the summer. (Today in my area it is expected not to be too hot, perhaps only about 90. It doesn't always rain in the Pacific Northwest.)

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
DigaDo is offline  
post #486 of 876 Old 07-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Member
 
catnap1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

There is. I believe the menu entry is something like enable/disable messages/alerts. Once disabled, the information may still be viewed by pressing the STATUS button once or twice.

Gets rid of some of the messages but the other problem (for me) persists. Oh well...
catnap1972 is offline  
post #487 of 876 Old 07-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
wvasko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Central IL
Posts: 723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Of the current EZ series models the EZ28 is probably the best. I have one EZ28 in daily use.

What price did Panasonic quote on a replacement EZ28?

What problem(s) is/are the ES25 experiencing? Sometimes a routine DVD Drive lens and rubber hub cleaning is all that's needed. Another problem may be a failed power supply capacitor. A more serious problem is a failed laser assembly. The lack of an internal fan in a ES25 contributes to heat-related failure. The ES25 has a heat sink for the CPU on the Digital PCB. The EZ28 has an internal fan but no heat sink on the CPU.

I keep all my recorders out in the open for best air circulation. I've also set up supplemental cooling fans directed toward the recorders in my home office. When supplemental cooling fans are in use routine DVD Drive cleaning is required more often, perhaps at six month intervals. Spacers improve air flow for stacked recorders. CRT TVs and other heat producing equipment are kept at a distance from recorders. These measures help maintain recorder functionality, especially during the summer. (Today in my area it is expected not to be too hot, perhaps only about 90. It doesn't always rain in the Pacific Northwest.)

Well I did go to Best Buy and got one for 234.99 at Amazon 264.00(surprised Me)
Panasonic is not going to do anything as I've had it a tad over 2 yrs. Last night it I hit record and since I was watching HDTV over antenna (the recorder was set to record off Dish) I didn't even pay any attention to it and when I did the error message was on u61 which means it isn't broke (according to manual) manual says it was a power interruption (which it wasn't) and it should be plugged in and let go so it can continue to run through(bootup) etc. anyway it was a dead soldier as it would go no further I did a pull plug for a couple minutes for a reset but nothing happened. Now I did get an address
McAllen Service Ctr
4900 George McVay Drive
Suite B Door 12
McAllen Texas 75803

According to another thread nobody seems to know if this is worth sending unit in to. I never talked to live person, it was all done on phone with a phone robot etc.
Tomorrow I'm gonna try for a human.

Please, Dumb It Down For Me.
wvasko is offline  
post #488 of 876 Old 07-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
wvasko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Central IL
Posts: 723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Of the current EZ series models the EZ28 is probably the best. I have one EZ28 in daily use.

What price did Panasonic quote on a replacement EZ28?

What problem(s) is/are the ES25 experiencing? Sometimes a routine DVD Drive lens and rubber hub cleaning is all that's needed. Another problem may be a failed power supply capacitor. A more serious problem is a failed laser assembly. The lack of an internal fan in a ES25 contributes to heat-related failure. The ES25 has a heat sink for the CPU on the Digital PCB. The EZ28 has an internal fan but no heat sink on the CPU.

I keep all my recorders out in the open for best air circulation. I've also set up supplemental cooling fans directed toward the recorders in my home office. When supplemental cooling fans are in use routine DVD Drive cleaning is required more often, perhaps at six month intervals. Spacers improve air flow for stacked recorders. CRT TVs and other heat producing equipment are kept at a distance from recorders. These measures help maintain recorder functionality, especially during the summer. (Today in my area it is expected not to be too hot, perhaps only about 90. It doesn't always rain in the Pacific Northwest.)

Well I did go to Best Buy and got one for 234.99 at Amazon 264.00(surprised Me)
Panasonic is not going to do anything as I've had it a tad over 2 yrs. Last night it I hit record and since I was watching HDTV over antenna (the recorder was set to record off Dish) I didn't even pay any attention to it and when I did the error message was on u61 which means it isn't broke (according to manual) manual says it was a power interruption (which it wasn't) and it should be plugged in and let go so it can continue to run through(bootup) etc. anyway it was a dead soldier as it would go no further I did a pull plug for a couple minutes for a reset but nothing happened. Now I did get an address
McAllen Service Ctr
4900 George McVay Drive
Suite B Door 12
McAllen Texas 75803

According to another thread nobody seems to know if this is worth sending unit in to. I never talked to live person, it was all done on phone with a phone robot etc.
Tomorrow I'm gonna try for a human.

Please, Dumb It Down For Me.
wvasko is offline  
post #489 of 876 Old 07-15-2009, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 9,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I think?? if you send your ES-25 in for repair and specify the $130 flat rate repair you'll be offered a equivalent model swap, which in your case would be a EZ-28?
Now for the $130 you'll probably just get a refurbished EZ-28, but $130 is better than $235, if indeed that's the way it works out. Let us know what you find out.
If you don't need the digital tuner or HDMI http://www.wegotbetterdeals.com/dvd-...r_id=8&sort=2a has the HDMI less version of your ES-25(ES-15) referbished for $72 or the tunerless upconverting EA-18 for $115, avoid the very buggy EZ-17 which had the digital tuner but lacks HDMI.
jjeff is online now  
post #490 of 876 Old 07-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
wvasko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Central IL
Posts: 723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I think?? if you send your ES-25 in for repair and specify the $130 flat rate repair you'll be offered a equivalent model swap, which in your case would be a EZ-28?
Now for the $130 you'll probably just get a refurbished EZ-28, but $130 is better than $235, if indeed that's the way it works out. Let us know what you find out.
If you don't need the digital tuner or HDMI http://www.wegotbetterdeals.com/dvd-...r_id=8&sort=2a has the HDMI less version of your ES-25(ES-15) referbished for $72 or the tunerless upconverting EA-18 for $115, avoid the very buggy EZ-17 which had the digital tuner but lacks HDMI.

Thank you, I do need the HDMI but don't need the tuner, I will ask for the flat rate as at least it will get me a backup unit.

Please, Dumb It Down For Me.
wvasko is offline  
post #491 of 876 Old 07-15-2009, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DigaDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest.
Posts: 4,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvasko View Post

Well I did go to Best Buy and got one for 234.99 at Amazon 264.00(surprised Me)
Panasonic is not going to do anything as I've had it a tad over 2 yrs. Last night it I hit record and since I was watching HDTV over antenna (the recorder was set to record off Dish) I didn't even pay any attention to it and when I did the error message was on u61 which means it isn't broke (according to manual) manual says it was a power interruption (which it wasn't) and it should be plugged in and let go so it can continue to run through(bootup) etc. anyway it was a dead soldier as it would go no further I did a pull plug for a couple minutes for a reset but nothing happened. Now I did get an address
McAllen Service Ctr
4900 George McVay Drive
Suite B Door 12
McAllen Texas 75803

According to another thread nobody seems to know if this is worth sending unit in to. I never talked to live person, it was all done on phone with a phone robot etc.
Tomorrow I'm gonna try for a human.

Your first sentence has me a little confused. Did you purchase a new Panasonic or just check the prices at those stores?

The U61 error description in the DMR-ES25 Operating Instructions is misleading. The Service Manual is somewhat vague but states the U61 error so, "The unit detected an error while recording or playing with no disc in the disc tray." Then it goes on to mention the "recovery process" and suggests that one "wait until the message disappears." What the Service Manual doesn't say is that this "process" may never return the machine to functionality.

The following post addresses, in a somewhat round-about way, the possible problems/remedies when U61/U88/U99 errors appear:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post16718508

Pay special attention to the sounds made by the DVD Drive when it spins-up or attempts to read a disc.

There is a chance that your U61 error may be remedied by a gentle lens cleaning that you may perform at the same time as a rubber hub cleaning, an easy fifteen minute procedure with an ES25. A link to the procedure is found in the above-linked post. It's worth a try.

 


"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
DigaDo is offline  
post #492 of 876 Old 07-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Member
 
catnap1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

The Service Manual is somewhat vague but states the U61 error so, "The unit detected an error while recording or playing with no disc in the disc tray." Then it goes on to mention the "recovery procsss" and suggests that one "wait until the message disappears." What the Service Manual doesn't say is that this "process" may never return the machine to functionality.

I was wondeering what the service manual had to say about U61 errors, and judging by this--not much. So what does the service place do with a unit that's throwing U61 errors (aside from swapping it with a refurb)? Do they just chuck the problem one in the trash or is there some other piece of literature that tells them what to check (or replace)?
catnap1972 is offline  
post #493 of 876 Old 07-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Member
 
catnap1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The thing to remember is depending on the model, you might be better off just spending the $130 and buying a Panasonic refurb off of Ebay then selling the broken one as-is to recoup some of the cost of the "new" unit.
catnap1972 is offline  
post #494 of 876 Old 07-15-2009, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DigaDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest.
Posts: 4,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnap1972 View Post

I was wondeering what the service manual had to say about U61 errors, and judging by this--not much. So what does the service place do with a unit that's throwing U61 errors (aside from swapping it with a refurb)? Do they just chuck the problem one in the trash or is there some other piece of literature that tells them what to check (or replace)?

The Panasonic owner wishing to service their own machine is pretty much on their own. My field is not technology yet I've been able to keep my heavily used Panasonics functional through servicing, repair or rebuilding with parts swapped from other Panasonics purchased just for that purpose.

I've posted many of my findings here at AVS and sometimes at CD Freaks. Here are a couple of examples:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1068241

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055071

There are a number of servicing measures for DVD Drive related problems not found in Panasonic Service Manuals.

If the DVD Drive (or hard drive) does not spin-up there could be a problem with a power supply capacitor, a problematic Digital PCB or problematic ribbon cable connections. There are common visual and diagnostic tests to determine capacitor viability.

The Panasonic service manuals specify certain diagnostic procedures that may determine viability of electronic components and circuit board performance. These procedures require specialized training and the use of specialized diagnostic/testing devices. Service manuals have extensive technical material but this almost always points to use of Panasonic supplied replacement units/assemblies rather than replacement of individual parts. (When a front panel mini-switch fails the Panasonic remedy is to replace the front panel circuit board rather than the mini-switch itself. One may find that a repair shop may not replace a bad power supply capacitor but may instead replace the entire power supply circuit board or chassis motherboard that may be obtained only through Panasonic Parts. While a generic replacement capacitor may cost but $2 and involve an hour of labor, the shop may suggest replacing the entire board, perhaps a $300 part, adding shipping costs, adding two hours of diagnostic labor and service manual study, adding one hour of labor to remove the old circuit board and install the new circuit board.)

Capacitor replacement is discussed in several threads. This thread includes step-by-step instructions and photos:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055111

Here are a few tips not found in Panasonic service manuals:

If the DVD Drive spins up but has occasional read, write and finalizing problems and/or makes "grinding" or "scrubbing" noises the problem is a dirty rubber hub atop the spindle. The Panasonic owner should clean the DVD Drive rubber hub. The Panasonic remedy is DVD Drive replacement.

If the DVD Drive spins up but never reads discs and makes "clunking" "chugging" or "errp" noises the problem may be a dirty or failed laser assembly. The first remedial measure is to clean the lens. If that does not correct the problem the laser assembly may have failed or there is a problem with the DVD Drive's on-board controller circuit board (except 2006 models) or the Digital PCB itself. Or, there may be a problem with a ribbon cable or a ribbon cable contact or connector. Individual parts swapping/replacement/repair may be necessary. (In one machine that had experienced a DVD Drive failure I found that a ribbon cable contact strip had been damaged by a connector contact that had drifted forward. I drifted the contact back into place and trimmed back the damaged contact strip. This repair was successful. The Panasonic remedy would have called for replacement of the DVD Drive/Digital PCB "module," around $340 for parts alone.) The Panasonic remedy is almost always replacement of entire assemblies/modules.

Lens and rubber hub cleaning advice, information and photos are found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14479898

Why is it that some remedial measures are not found in the Panasonic service manuals? (In the following text note that Panasonic refers to the DVD Drive as a RAM Drive.) The service manual provides this explanation:

"1) This service manual does not contain the following information, because of the impossibility of servicing at the component level.

-Schematic Diagram, Block Diagram and P.C.B. layout of RAM/Digita/ P.C.B. Module.
-Parts List for individual parts of RAM/Digital P.C.B. Module.
-Exploded View and Parts List for individual parts of RAM/Digital P.C.B. Module.

2) The following category are recycle module part. Please send them to Central Repair Center.

-RAM/Digital P.C.B. Module."

There are occasional mentions of a "Service Manual for the specific RAM Drive." I have never been able to gain access to such manuals, perhaps those manuals are found only at the Panasonic refurbishing center in Mexico.

Panasonic's 2006 models (like the DMR-ES25 mentioned earlier) are unique in that the DVD Drive controller circuitry is found on the separate Digital PCB. It is Panasonic's official position that for the 2006 model year, "Pairing of RAM Drive and Digital P.C.B. as 'RAM/Digital P.C.B. Module' have to be replaced together. If the pairing is changed, RAM Drive unit has to be re-aligned. Because the alignment data for RAM Drive Unit is stored in Digital P.C.B."

Model-specific 2006 service manuals do not contain information about this "alignment" procedure.

Other model year Panasonics may have their DVD Drives and Digital P.C.B. replaced separately as the DVD Drives have their own on-board controller circuit boards.

Replacement of DVD Drive internal parts, such as the laser assemblies, are not officially-approved "field repairs." Again, it's Panasonic's official position that DVD Drives that have experienced any failure must be exchanged for a factory unit.

In reality, Mickinct has successfully replaced failed laser assemblies and I have successfully swapped DVD Drives between different 2006 models without also swapping the Digital PCBs. More detail is found in other threads. Here is one example:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1082922

The Panasonic National Parts Center in Kent Washington usually prices the 2006 model year DVD Drive/Digital PCB modules in the $400 to $700 range (to the public or to repair shops), even for three year old low-line models that originally cost less than $200.

 


"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
DigaDo is offline  
post #495 of 876 Old 07-16-2009, 02:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
wvasko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Central IL
Posts: 723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DigaDo
mind boggling, you got to understand the caliber of the man, not the brightest bulb in the box is a great description of me. While reading your reply my eyes started to glaze over and I passed out. I'm 72, I just learned how to program my VCR last yr. I do thank you for your attempt to help. I found a DMR-ES 25 refurbished for 117.00 from a place called Buymybest . com Does anybody know anything about this place.

Please, Dumb It Down For Me.
wvasko is offline  
post #496 of 876 Old 07-16-2009, 08:08 AM
Member
 
catnap1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvasko View Post

I found a DMR-ES 25 refurbished for 117.00 from a place called Buymybest . com Does anybody know anything about this place.

Never heard of them.

There is one guy on Fleabay that has some refurb ES46's for $125. Not sure about the quality of the product (or the seller), but I'll report if/when I get mine.
catnap1972 is offline  
post #497 of 876 Old 07-16-2009, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DigaDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest.
Posts: 4,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnap1972 View Post

Never heard of them.

There is one guy on Fleabay that has some refurb ES46's for $125. Not sure about the quality of the product (or the seller), but I'll report if/when I get mine.

When considering a "refurbished" Panasonic be sure that it has been "Refurbished by (or for) Panasonic," carries a "Panasonic Refurbished Product Warranty" and is being offered by a "Panasonic Authorized Dealer or Reseller." Panasonic refurbished products come in a generic brown box imprinted with the Panasonic logo, not in the usual blue Panasonic retail box.

Otherwise the Panasonic may have been "refurbished" by some guy named Julio in his garage out back. Julio's "refurbishing" may consist of wiping the dust off the machine with a damp rag. Julio may not offer a warranty.

Julio may not be the only guy "refurbishing" Panasonics. I hear that a guy named DigaDo has "refurbished" a number of his older ES series Panasonics. DigaDo reports that these Panasonics all work well and have been thoroughly use-tested. Six of DigaDo's Panasonics have each accumulated between 3,000 and 4,400 recording hours. DigaDo does not sell Panasonics or refurbish Panasonics outside his immediate family. DigaDo is keeping his great old heavily-used ES series Panasonics.

Caveat Emptor!

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
DigaDo is offline  
post #498 of 876 Old 07-16-2009, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DigaDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest.
Posts: 4,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvasko View Post

. . . I found a DMR-ES 25 refurbished for 117.00 from a place called Buymybest . com Does anybody know anything about this place.

The above post has some advice concerning "refurbished" Panasonics.

I'll repeat and add to my earlier advice concerning "refurbished" Magnavox hard disc drive/DVD recorders:

The best value right now is a refurbished Magnavox 2080 ($129.99) or Magnavox 2160 ($159.99). These are HDD/DVD recorders being sold at bargain prices. (I currently own one each of these models. I've just ordered a second 2160 from J&R.) See the first post in Wajo's sticky thread for a wealth of information and links to J&R, the online seller:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940657

The Magnavox 2080 is a 2008 model introduced to the marketplace in 2007. It has an 80GB hard drive and a remote that may give one a fit. (My July 2007 vintage 2080 was purchased "refurbished" in December 2008. I upgraded my 2080 to a 160GB hard drive and ordered a 2160 remote for use with the 2080--much better.)

The Magnavox 2160 is a 2009 model introduced to the marketplace in 2008. It has an 160GB hard drive and a great remote. (My August 2008 version was purchased new from walmart.com in November 2008. This is an outstanding product.) The version being sold by J&R may be one of the original models (like mine) or the "A" version (manufactured in March or May 2009) that has a "glitch" that prevents dubbing/finalizing recordings if there are timer (scheduled) recordings in place. The "A" version workaround is to delete timer recordings, dub/finalize discs, and then re-enter the timer recordings. It is hoped that Funai may issue a firmware update as a fix for this problem.

Both of these Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders have NTSC/ATSC/clear QAM tuners.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
DigaDo is offline  
post #499 of 876 Old 07-19-2009, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
wvasko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Central IL
Posts: 723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

The above post has some advice concerning "refurbished" Panasonics.

I'll repeat and add to my earlier advice concerning "refurbished" Magnavox hard disc drive/DVD recorders:

The best value right now is a refurbished Magnavox 2080 ($129.99) or Magnavox 2160 ($159.99). These are HDD/DVD recorders being sold at bargain prices. (I currently own one each of these models. I've just ordered a second 2160 from J&R.) See the first post in Wajo's sticky thread for a wealth of information and links to J&R, the online seller:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940657

The Magnavox 2080 is a 2008 model introduced to the marketplace in 2007. It has an 80GB hard drive and a remote that may give one a fit. (My July 2007 vintage 2080 was purchased "refurbished" in December 2008. I upgraded my 2080 to a 160GB hard drive and ordered a 2160 remote for use with the 2080--much better.)

The Magnavox 2160 is a 2009 model introduced to the marketplace in 2008. It has an 160GB hard drive and a great remote. (My August 2008 version was purchased new from walmart.com in November 2008. This is an outstanding product.) The version being sold by J&R may be one of the original models (like mine) or the "A" version (manufactured in March or May 2009) that has a "glitch" that prevents dubbing/finalizing recordings if there are timer (scheduled) recordings in place. The "A" version workaround is to delete timer recordings, dub/finalize discs, and then re-enter the timer recordings. It is hoped that Funai may issue a firmware update as a fix for this problem.

Both of these Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders have NTSC/ATSC/clear QAM tuners.

Thank you for the refurbish info, it's just that I want to stick with the DVD-Ram record program. I also use the ability to DVD-R record in my business. It's quick it's simple and I also probably have 100 Ram discs.

Please, Dumb It Down For Me.
wvasko is offline  
post #500 of 876 Old 07-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Member
 
catnap1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm just hoping that guy with the ES46's wasn't a flake...been a week and still no word on shipment (or any communication, for that matter). Four other people in the same boat so I'm not alone if the guy's a phony.
catnap1972 is offline  
post #501 of 876 Old 07-19-2009, 11:00 PM
Member
 
axemanozh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've recently purchased a DMR-EZ28K unit to replace my aging Sony RDR-GX300, and so far I'm pretty pleased. A few comments/questions:

1. I've heard a lot about the quality of Panasonic's LP recording mode (one of the things that drew me to this unit), and it has not disappointed. I've found the recording quality is much better at this level than it was on my previous unit.

2. On my RDR-GX300, it was possible to change the channel or input source during a recording when recording was paused. I have not been able to do so on the DMR-EZ28K. I did not see anything about this one way or the other in the manual, and wanted to confirm that it is not possible?

3. I have connected my HD cable box to the unit via S-Video in an attempt to record widescreen video. This works, in a way. Widescreen broadcasts do record to DVD-R media, but only seem to record in letterboxed 4:3 aspect ratio. I don't mind this, but would like to find a way to make them more watchable for widescreen TV playback (zoom function on some of the widescreen TVs I have access to is an acceptable workaround, but not on others.) Is there any more efficient way to record HD/widscreen video outside of using DVD-RAM that I'm overlooking? Playing around with the settings on both the cable box and the DMR-EZ28K did not seem to make a difference.

Thanks in advance for any responses/comments/help.

Edit: Found the stickied topic about recording widescreen. I figured the problem was probably the cable box not outputting widescreen via the S-Video cable. Would the mentioned component to S-video adapter do the trick, or am I SOL here?
axemanozh is offline  
post #502 of 876 Old 07-20-2009, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Westly-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Techno World
Posts: 2,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanozh View Post

I

2. On my RDR-GX300, it was possible to change the channel or input source during a recording when recording was paused. I have not been able to do so on the DMR-EZ28K. I did not see anything about this one way or the other in the manual, and wanted to confirm that it is not possible?

It's not...Panasonic decided to really dumb down the EZ series line from the previous ES and EH models. Taking away simple features such as the ability to pause a recording and change the channel, is one of them.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Westly-C is offline  
post #503 of 876 Old 07-20-2009, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 9,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
If you have no way of getting the squeezed 16:9 format out of your STB's SD outputs then your only choice would be a component to S-video converter. The easiest way to verify what your STB is outputting is to directly connect it to your TV(from a SD output). If you only get letterboxed 16:9 then that's all the Panasonic will record.
Just so you know, even though the Panasonic and probably every other DVDR is capable of recording 16:9 to DVDs virtually none set the WS bit. What this means is if you then give your 16:9 DVDs to a friend with a 4:3 TV he'll see the whole 16:9 frame inside his 4:3 picture. IOW everyone will be tall and skinny. Almost all 16:9 TVs have the setting to stretch that compressed 4:3 frame to a proper looking 16:9 picture. Some people use a PC to set the bit, I don't bother and don't really know how to do it. I have basically all 16:9 TVs that can uncompress the picture.
jjeff is online now  
post #504 of 876 Old 07-21-2009, 08:07 PM
Member
 
axemanozh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cool, thanks for the information guys.

A little disappointed to hear about the lack of ability to change channels/inputs while the recording process is paused. I liked to do this on my old unit to change to an unused input and record a few seconds of blank/black screen to serve as a transition between different video segments.

I'm a little hesitant to plunk down the cash to buy a converter that costs nearly as much as the DVD recorder did; but I do really want to record in widescreen, so I'll probably bite the bullet and get one at some point. I found some good suggestions in another thread while searching for more information through the forums. Some apparently even remove copy protection which is a bonus.

I'll look into the part about ensuring proper playback on 4:3 TVs if/when I get the recording of widescreen settled. Thanks for the heads up.
axemanozh is offline  
post #505 of 876 Old 07-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Member
 
catnap1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Turns out that seller with the cache of refurb ES46's on Ebay was a deadbeat. Hopefully nobody else here bought one or else you're going to be filing a dispute to get your money back.
catnap1972 is offline  
post #506 of 876 Old 07-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Newbie
 
beckygarfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi!
I have the DMR-EZ28K recorder and its been fine since I got it at christmas. Today when I went to turn it on, I get the RC 1 message on the screen. According to the manual I need to go to settings and change the remote code, but I can't get into the menu (because the remote is set to the wrong code, I imagine). Is there any way to manually enter the settings using the controls on the unit?
Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help!
-Becky
beckygarfield is offline  
post #507 of 876 Old 07-22-2009, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DigaDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest.
Posts: 4,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckygarfield View Post

Hi!
I have the DMR-EZ28K recorder and its been fine since I got it at christmas. Today when I went to turn it on, I get the RC 1 message on the screen. According to the manual I need to go to settings and change the remote code, but I can't get into the menu (because the remote is set to the wrong code, I imagine). Is there any way to manually enter the settings using the controls on the unit?
Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help!
-Becky

RC 1 indicates that your machine is set to code #1.

You may have accidentally reset your remote to code #2 or #3.

To reset your remote to code #1 press and hold the 1 button and the ENTER button at the same time for several seconds.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
DigaDo is offline  
post #508 of 876 Old 07-23-2009, 07:17 AM
Newbie
 
beckygarfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
THANK YOU SO MUCH
-Becky
beckygarfield is offline  
post #509 of 876 Old 07-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Member
 
vmalhotra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: FAIRFAX, VA
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Diga,

Is the procedure for hub cleaning for EZ27 same as your EZ28 ?

You got to be nuts; you want me to pay to watch commercials?
vmalhotra is offline  
post #510 of 876 Old 07-23-2009, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DigaDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest.
Posts: 4,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmalhotra View Post

Diga,

Is the procedure for hub cleaning for EZ27 same as your EZ28 ?

Yes.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
DigaDo is offline  
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Panasonic

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off