Forum Jump: 

Old 07-24-2009, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

The former $130 flat-rate repair through the corporate Panasonic Digital Service Center in Elk Grove Village Illinois covered all parts, labor and return shipping, an especially good deal for high-end hard drive Panasonic models.

"former $130 flat-rate repair"? Are you saying it's no longer available? When did this happen? So what are my repair options now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2009, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rperlberg View Post

"former $130 flat-rate repair"? Are you saying it's no longer available? When did this happen? So what are my repair options now?

That post was written while there was confusion as to repair options. Thank you for calling my attention to the problem. I have revised that post to reflect the current situation.

A more current and complete description of your repair options is found in the first post in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1056657

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Old 08-04-2009, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there any way to copy one EZ28's firmware and then install it on another EZ28?
Old 08-04-2009, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafxman View Post

Is there any way to copy one EZ28's firmware and then install it on another EZ28?

Download the latest DMR-EZ28 firmware, burn it to a CD and then you may use it on as many EZ28 models as you wish:

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...DMR-EZ28K.D#ts

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

Old 08-04-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:

Download the latest DMR-EZ28 firmware, burn it to a CD and then you may use it on as many EZ28 models as you wish:

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...DMR-EZ28K.D#ts

Thanks for your prompt response DigaDo. Unfortunately that's not what I need. I have 4 EZ28s. The two newest ones work the way I believe they should work. The two older ones don't. After troubleshooting I discovered the two newest ones have HDMI settings that allow proper control of the recorded video. In a nutshell, the 2 newer ones allow settings that properly record with pillars on each side of a 4:3 video from my satellite systems. The 2 older systems don't. They stretch everything so skinny people look fat.

I downloaded the firmware update, installed it on one of the older boxes and discovered it did not fix the problem. So, the only solution I can think of is to somehow copy the firmware from a newer box and install it on the older boxes.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafxman View Post

Thanks for your prompt response DigaDo. Unfortunately that's not what I need. I have 4 EZ28s. The two newest ones work the way I believe they should work. The two older ones don't. After troubleshooting I discovered the two newest ones have HDMI settings that allow proper control of the recorded video. In a nutshell, the 2 newer ones allow settings that properly record with pillars on each side of a 4:3 video from my satellite systems. The 2 older systems don't. They stretch everything so skinny people look fat.

I downloaded the firmware update, installed it on one of the older boxes and discovered it did not fix the problem. So, the only solution I can think of is to somehow copy the firmware from a newer box and install it on the older boxes.

So, I ask again, does anyone know how to extract the firmware from one EZ28 then install it on another EZ28 box?
Old 08-09-2009, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 74
^^Unfortunately, there's no way one can access the FW on these units. Your only other course of action, is to email or phone Panasonic's Service center, explain your problem, provide the serial numbers of one of the 28s that is working properly and one that's not, and ask if they can provide you with a firmware update/ patch that will correct the misfunctioning duos.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Old 08-09-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

^^Unfortunately, there's no way one can access the FW on these units. Your only other course of action, is to email or phone Panasonic's Service center, explain your problem, provide the serial numbers of one of the 28s that is working properly and one that's not, and ask if they can provide you with a firmware update/ patch that will correct the misfunctioning duos.

Thanks Westly-C
Old 08-10-2009, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That post was written while there was confusion as to repair options. Thank you for calling my attention to the problem. I have revised that post to reflect the current situation.

A more current and complete description of your repair options is found in the first post in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1056657

Ok, next chapter on my ES-25 problem. I sent it to Texas and they were going to replace it with a 485 which I did not want. Today I called and left messages at Texas and Elk Grove and Elgin.

Mary from Elgin (only message return I got) called and gave me instructions and get unit shipped from Texas to Elgin where they will repair it for the flat rate of 130.00. Mary was a sweetheart.

I then finally got hold of Josie in Texas and everything is in motion, God willing and the creek don't rise I should get my ES25 back, to back up my 3 week old EZ28. I know sounds silly that I would need a backup for my new EZ28 but I am an old Panasonic customer and I will be prepared. I will write more when I find out more.

Please, Dumb It Down For Me.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanozh View Post

I'm a little hesitant to plunk down the cash to buy a converter that costs nearly as much as the DVD recorder did; but I do really want to record in widescreen, so I'll probably bite the bullet and get one at some point.

I'll look into the part about ensuring proper playback on 4:3 TVs if/when I get the recording of widescreen settled. Thanks for the heads up.

A follow-up on this: I ended up getting a TivoHD unit instead of a component-to-s-video or composite video converter. It outputs anamorphic video through any of its outlets and ignores pretty much every copy protection flag. It cost more than the converter would have, but fortunately I have had a lifetime subscription on a Series2 unit for many years, so I got a reduced price. Plus I can record HD video for later (which I've been wanting to do for a while), and I got to give the cable co. back their STB and order a CableCARD instead, which will save some money every month.

I also found a program on the Internet that will set the 16:9 flag on the DVDs I create from widescreen sources.

http://www.dvdr-digest.com/articles/42_1.html

I simply record onto DVD-RW media, copy the files onto my computer, set the flag(s), then reburn onto a DVD-R. Reformat the DVD-RW on the DMR-EZ28K and repeat. Works perfectly.

All in all, I spent a little more than I was hoping to, but I've got everything working now exactly how I want, so I'm pretty happy. Thanks again to everyone here for their help/suggestions.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I'm sure as you found out the Tivo HD makes a wonderful source for feeding your Panny, it's what I've been doing for a while now and I get DVDs that are about as good as SD can be.
Thanks for the link, it explains the whole WS bit setting thing better than I've read before.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:42 PM

I hope I can get some help from someone out there can help me. I've had the EZ28K for over a year. Before the digital switchover back in February with Comcast, I never had a problem with the recorder, with scheduling and such. But since the switchover, I had to rescan the channels and they all came out different (64-7, 64-8, etc...). Since then when I try to record or even schedule certain channels, I get a u99 error. I haven't tried this with every single channel, because I don't watch most of them. Though there are a few I record regularly and haven't had this problem. To remedy this, I have to unplug the machine, and then plug it back in, and usually after a few times, it usually acts normally. This isn't as bad if I scheduled something, or want to record something when I'm home, but when I'm not, I may miss a program completely, because I'm not there to reboot the machine. I've done so much searching on this board, other boards, and the internet and have come up with nothing. As much as I hope I don't have to, I may have to invest in a tuner card for my computer if I can't fix this. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisischris View Post

I hope I can get some help from someone out there can help me. I've had the EZ28K for over a year. Before the digital switchover back in February with Comcast, I never had a problem with the recorder, with scheduling and such. But since the switchover, I had to rescan the channels and they all came out different (64-7, 64-8, etc...). Since then when I try to record or even schedule certain channels, I get a u99 error. I haven't tried this with every single channel, because I don't watch most of them. Though there are a few I record regularly and haven't had this problem. To remedy this, I have to unplug the machine, and then plug it back in, and usually after a few times, it usually acts normally. This isn't as bad if I scheduled something, or want to record something when I'm home, but when I'm not, I may miss a program completely, because I'm not there to reboot the machine. I've done so much searching on this board, other boards, and the internet and have come up with nothing. As much as I hope I don't have to, I may have to invest in a tuner card for my computer if I can't fix this. Thanks.

I have 4 EZ28s that are less than a year old. I have not experienced your problem although I just tune over the air stations. You might try loading the newest firmware from the Panny website. Be sure to use a CD as they instruct. I couldn't get it to work with a DVD. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:18 AM

Thanks grafxman for your help. I have looked up the firmware for the EZ28 and it didn't mention this problem specifically, so I wasn't sure if it would even help. Could there be irreversible damage done if something goes wrong with the installation? That worries me. And I might have a cd lying around. I'll try a DVD first and if that doesn't work, I'll go with the CD. Thanks again.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:27 AM

Quote:

Thanks grafxman for your help. I have looked up the firmware for the EZ28 and it didn't mention this problem specifically, so I wasn't sure if it would even help. Could there be irreversible damage done if something goes wrong with the installation? That worries me. And I might have a cd lying around. I'll try a DVD first and if that doesn't work, I'll go with the CD. Thanks again.

I don't know about irreversible damage. I would, if possible, take steps to ensure I didn't experience a power loss if I were you. I have all my electronics stuff on 4 uninterruptible power supplies. I just followed the directions, watched the TV screen and let it do its thing.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:17 PM

I just finished installing the firmware and I'm still having the same u99 error with the same channels. I don't know what else to do.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:

I just finished installing the firmware and I'm still having the same u99 error with the same channels. I don't know what else to do.

I don't have Comcast so I'm afraid I can't help much. It sounds like the next stop might be the Panny service center or a Directv installation. On the other hand, you might scout out http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1054933. That's the thread for the Magnavox 2080/2160 DVD/HDD recorders. If you take the time to read all the posts there you may glean something worthwhile that just might be applicable to your situation even though you're using an EZ28.

There have been a lot of posts in that thread about Comcast tuning problems. I didn't pay much attention to them since I don't have Comcast. I seem to vaguely remember some work around solutions involving direct connection to the input or some such. The Maggie 2160 also has a digital tuner so there is some similarity that may be transferable to your situation. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Often, the lack of regular DVD Drive servicing leads to functional problems that may result in read, write and finalizing failures. Sometimes these failures will be the cause of freeze ups or such numbered errors as the U99 you've reported.

Pay special attention to unusual sounds emanating from the DVD Drive. A "grinding" sound indicates that the disc is slipping on the dirty rubber hub atop the DVD Drive spindle causing read, write and finalizing failures. The rubber hub requires cleaning. I clean the DVD Drive lens and hub/spindles at eight to ten month intervals. More frequent DVD Drive lens and hub/spindle cleaning is needed in warm, dusty or smoking environments or where discs are handled with a finger through the center hole. See this post for more information, advice and photos:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14479898

If the DVD Drive is making "clunking" or "chugging" noises this may indicate a dirty or failed lens, a problem with a ribbon cable connection or a problem with the onboard drive controller circuit board (excepting 2006 models) or the Digital PCB. A dirty lens may be the cause of a variety of errors, i.e., U61 (a failure of the laser to determine that no disc is present), U88 (the laser's inability to read a disc), U99 (when there is a coummunication error between the main microprocessor and the timer microprocessor) and other errors. It's best to start with cleaning the DVD Drive lens and hub/spindle. Once the DVD Drive has been cleaned any remaining problems may be addressed.

An important consideration is the quality of media being used. I've settled upon Taiyo Yuden Premium Line 8x DVD-R media for use in my (two) Philips, (five) Magnavox and (fifteen) Panasonic recorders. Like you, I've been using my DMR-EZ28 for a year or so. Since purchasing my first Panasonic DMR-ES30V in September 2005 I've home-recorded around 5,000 DVDs. (For best results with Panasonics avoid using the "+" formats.) Avoid the inferior 16x formulations found in retail stores. Some satisfactory Sony, Maxell and Verbatim formulations may still be found. Most other "name brand" media are inferior in quality to the "name brand" media of two or three years ago. In late 2006 I made a mistake in purchasing Memorex media. I found one in every six Memorex discs failed during recording or finalizing in my several Panasonics. When older TDK media was substituted these problems disappeared. In earlier days TDK made their own high quality media. Later TDK DVD-R discs are the same as Memorex DVD-R discs (CMC MAG. AM3) not good.

A number of us have addressed many of these matters in earlier threads. The present post is a slightly edited "rerun" of one of my earlier posts. If you search the AVS Forum be sure to set the date criteria back far enough to find earlier discussions. The date criteria may be selected at the foot of the opening page.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:15 PM

Thank you everyone for the help. First off, I should say that I did have the machine serviced a few months ago, because one day, out of the blue, the dvd drive quit working, and that was replaced. And I was having this u99 problem before that. And I use Panasonic DVD-RAM discs to record. I make sure not to deal with any + discs. Now I followed the instructions on how to clean dust and debris out of various parts of the drive. I followed them all as best I could. There was very little, if any dust inside. And sure enough, when I went to record those same channels, I still had the u99 problem. Thanks again.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you everyone for the help. First off, I should say that I did have the machine serviced a few months ago, because one day, out of the blue, the dvd drive quit working, and that was replaced. And I was having this u99 problem before that . . . I still had the u99 problem. Thanks again.

In the description you gave to the Panasonic Digital Service Center did you mention the U99 error? If the U99 error was not mentioned they may not have scrutinized the Digital PCB that may be problematic.
LL

Old 09-13-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:

Thank you everyone for the help. First off, I should say that I did have the machine serviced a few months ago, because one day, out of the blue, the dvd drive quit working, and that was replaced. And I was having this u99 problem before that. And I use Panasonic DVD-RAM discs to record. I make sure not to deal with any + discs. Now I followed the instructions on how to clean dust and debris out of various parts of the drive. I followed them all as best I could. There was very little, if any dust inside. And sure enough, when I went to record those same channels, I still had the u99 problem. Thanks again.

As I said in an earlier post, I don't have Comcast however am I correct in assuming you are connecting the Comcast cable directly to the EZ28? If so, doesn't Comcast also include a set top box that will tune all the channels? If my assumptions are correct, can you hook the cable to both the EZ28 and Comcast's set top box? If so, then can't you use the EZ28's tuner for most of Comcast's channels then tune the rest with Comcast's set top box and use its A/V output, assuming it has one, to one of the EZ28's external inputs? You would have to manually tune the channels on the set top box that are being fed to the EZ28's external inputs but at least you could record everything.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:58 PM

I guess I made a mistake in not mentioning the u99 error when I took it to be fixed. I didn't mention it because it had nothing to do with the dvd drive dying. I got the recorder a year ago at Best Buy and got one of their service plans and I'm afraid that with the repair they just did, that I won't be able to have it serviced again without paying. I'll have to go over the receipt again to make sure. Is the Digital PCB an expensive thing to repair or replace? Now I'll try to explain the way I have everything setup, with the Comcast box and the recorder. It's not as complicated as it's detailed. I don't have a digital tv so I had to get a box. And with the box, you have to keep the tv on channel 3, and change the channels through the remote and the box provided. So unless I wanted to watch tv, while recording something like I could do before, I had to do a split, one going from the box to an RF modulater then an A/B switch. And the other going to the DVD recorder, and through to the A/B switch. And then the A/B switch to the tv. It doesn't work exactly the way I hoped it would but it has worked. The Comcast box has two inputs, 'cable in' and 'to tv'. I can try a find a picture if that'll help. And I could manually change the channels on the box, but I want to be able to schedule recordings while I'm at work or away. And the only way I can think to do that is with an IR blaster or something. And I did consider that for a period, but I didn't go with it. I hope that was detailed enough. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:

I guess I made a mistake in not mentioning the u99 error when I took it to be fixed. I didn't mention it because it had nothing to do with the dvd drive dying. I got the recorder a year ago at Best Buy and got one of their service plans and I'm afraid that with the repair they just did, that I won't be able to have it serviced again without paying. I'll have to go over the receipt again to make sure. Is the Digital PCB an expensive thing to repair or replace? Now I'll try to explain the way I have everything setup, with the Comcast box and the recorder. It's not as complicated as it's detailed. I don't have a digital tv so I had to get a box. And with the box, you have to keep the tv on channel 3, and change the channels through the remote and the box provided. So unless I wanted to watch tv, while recording something like I could do before, I had to do a split, one going from the box to an RF modulater then an A/B switch. And the other going to the DVD recorder, and through to the A/B switch. And then the A/B switch to the tv. It doesn't work exactly the way I hoped it would but it has worked. The Comcast box has two inputs, 'cable in' and 'to tv'. I can try a find a picture if that'll help. And I could manually change the channels on the box, but I want to be able to schedule recordings while I'm at work or away. And the only way I can think to do that is with an IR blaster or something. And I did consider that for a period, but I didn't go with it. I hope that was detailed enough. Thanks.

So is there no way to set up a scheduled tuning via the Comcast box like I can do with my satellite receivers?
Old 09-13-2009, 07:08 PM

No. It pretty much just receives the signal from the wall and goes to whatever you hook it up to. Here are some pictures I took. Both front and back. Thanks.
LL
LL
Old 09-13-2009, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm assuming that Best Buy "plan" didn't provide for repair at one of the two corporate Panasonic Service Centers in Elk Grove Village and Elgin Illinois.

With a complaint of a failed DVD Drive either of the corporate Panasonic Service Centers would (probably) have tested the Digital PCB, DVD Drive and DVD Drive onboard controller board in order to narrow down the problem.

A local multi-brand shop may have had no clue that the Digital PCB (currently $338.36) or the onboard DVD Drive controller board (currently $30.19) may have contributed to the machine's problem(s). When the non-Panasonic shop replaced the DVD Drive they may have swapped the original onboard controller board to the "new" drive in order to save $30 when that board may be part of the problem. That onboard drive controller board is seen in the first photo.

That's why the only places to repair a Panasonic recorder under warranty or out-of-warranty (with the $130 flat-rate repair mentioned in the thread "Panasonic Repairs? The ONLY place for warranty or out-of-warranty service!") are the two Illinois locations.

As to the Comcast STB, if it has only an RF input and output it is most likely the Pace DC50X Digital Transport Adapter (DTA) seen in the second photo.

For your set up you need a regular Comcast "digital" converter box that also provides, at a minimum, composite outputs.

The following set up is illustrated in a later post:

Run the raw Comcast coax cable feed to the DMR-EZ28 RF input. Run the EZ28 RF output to the Comcast converter box’s RF input. (Since the EZ28 has an unmodulated RF pass-through output there is little, if any, loss of signal quality and no signal source conflict.) Connect the Comcast converter box composite outputs to the composite inputs on the EZ28. Record clear QAM channels from the raw coax cable feed and scrambled programming from the composite inputs.

Run the Comcast converter box RF output to one side of a RF A/B switch. Then run the EZ28 composite outputs to the RF modulator. Run the modulator’s RF output to the other side of the A/B switch. Run the RF A/B switch RF output to the TV’s RF input. Use the RF A/B switch to select among the viewing sources.
LL
LL

Old 09-13-2009, 08:41 PM

If I remember correctly when I took the recorder back to Best Buy, he told me that it would be shipped to Seattle. And that my warrantly was only 'repair or replace'. So they repaired it. I found the receipt of the original purchase and I still have less than a year left of the 2 year plan. But I'm not sure what the rules are and I'll look for those. Next time I buy a Panasonic product, I'll keep what you said in mind. My TV is a few years old and only has a coax hookup, hence the rf modulator. Forgive for sounding ignorant and if I offend you, I don't mean it to come out this way. But if I get the video switcher, wouldn't it be another piece of equipment I'll have hooked up, among the rest? I don't know what would be different. Please let me know if I've missed something. And do you think it would do any good, after what you said, if I contact Best Buy and ask them if they can check the digital PCB? Again, I really appreciate your help. And thank you.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I remember correctly when I took the recorder back to Best Buy, he told me that it would be shipped to Seattle. And that my warrantly was only 'repair or replace'. So they repaired it. I found the receipt of the original purchase and I still have less than a year left of the 2 year plan. But I'm not sure what the rules are and I'll look for those. Next time I buy a Panasonic product, I'll keep what you said in mind. My TV is a few years old and only has a coax hookup, hence the rf modulator. Forgive for sounding ignorant and if I offend you, I don't mean it to come out this way. But if I get the video switcher, wouldn't it be another piece of equipment I'll have hooked up, among the rest? I don't know what would be different. Please let me know if I've missed something. And do you think it would do any good, after what you said, if I contact Best Buy and ask them if they can check the digital PCB? Again, I really appreciate your help. And thank you.

Panasonic's National Parts Sales (for the public and local repair shops) is located in Kent Washington, near Seattle.

Whenever dealing with repair folks it's best not to tell them what you think is broken. Tell them what the machine is doing that it shouldn't be doing or what it's not doing that it should be doing. Tell them that the work that was done corrected a part of the problem but you're still getting the "U99" error. Don't hesitate to go into detail. That way they'll know that a more comprehensive diagnostic routine is necessary.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:29 PM

The service was done through Geek Squad, and I don't know if they specifically sent it to a Panasonic service center or a totally different one.
I need to figure out how to tell them what's wrong without saying the wrong thing. I bet if I mention that this has been going on for a while, that they'll say what you said earlier, about mentioning it to them when I brought it in. Or if I should mention the Comcast angle? I'm not even sure they will do any more service on it. I have to either do a search or call them and find out. I was thinking I could get an IR blaster if I had to, but then I couldn't watch one program while recording another, I don't know. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The service was done through Geek Squad, and I don't know if they specifically sent it to a Panasonic service center or a totally different one.
I need to figure out how to tell them what's wrong without saying the wrong thing. I bet if I mention that this has been going on for a while, that they'll say what you said earlier, about mentioning it to them when I brought it in. Or if I should mention the Comcast angle? I'm not even sure they will do any more service on it. I have to either do a search or call them and find out. I was thinking I could get an IR blaster if I had to, but then I couldn't watch one program while recording another, I don't know. Thanks.

There are non-tuner Panasonics with an IR, but that's not an option with the DMR-EZ28.

I've been rethinking the earlier diagram and asking myself "why does this set up need the Philips Video Switcher and splitting the Comcast converter box composite outputs?"

The answer just came to me, it doesn't. OK, I've now reworked and simplified the diagram:
LL

Old 09-13-2009, 10:45 PM

Okay thank you. Have you got any other suggestions on what I can say to Best Buy when I call them and mention this problem? Thanks.

Tags
Panasonic