Official Panasonic DMR-EZ28K thread - Page 30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #871 of 884 Old 01-25-2014, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

New member question 3: CC doesn't display on other units

The reason we swapped discs in question 2 was to view Closed Captions.  The dialog was being spoken in a futuristic pigeon English that hardly made sense.  As soon as the disc started to play in the recorder the captions came up perfectly, full of contractions and spellings that matched the odd dialog.

Over the years I've methodically worked through record menus on the Pana recorder and menus on playback units and the TVs; but no CC is displayed except when the discs are played back on the recording unit.  That goes for PC playback too, with at least 10 different software players.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 884 Old 01-25-2014, 07:31 AM

New member question 4: 1080i feed recording terrible

My new TV can display details about the feed.  A certain show on a digital channel usually comes up as 720p.  The recordings looked great.  Last Sunday I recorded something I had been looking forward to and it looked terrible.  As it happens I was watching it on the TV with straight feed and it looked great like that.  This show has a long break in the middle so I stopped recording and found another channel that had its usual 720p feed; and that recorded very clearly.

The direct feed channel for the poor recording came up as 1080i on the TV, and looked every bit as good as the 720p channel I checked it against.  However, the picture through the recorder unit and on the recording its self had muddled colors, I'd say yellow was in short supply because I can't describe that in terms of RGB.  But it was also less clear and the displayed dimensions of the picture were like standard def.  This TV will put gray bars on the side and black on the top and bottom (it's a plasma) for SD feed on over-the-air digital channels, and that's what this recording was like.

What was odd is other weeks when this show was broadcast they used 720p.

post #873 of 884 Old 01-25-2014, 08:12 AM

New member post 5: Observations, recordings on the PC and back again

Recently I've been fooling around with a manual-hybrid DVR.  That's kind of a joke name so humor me.

Since I've asked so many questions, I want to pass along some hints.

The ATSC and QAM (antenna and cable in the menu) tuners cannot have their channels populated at the same time.  (Surely that's not news around this forum.)  My apartment setup has feed for both.  The "antenna" selection with the HD or digital channels populates quickly, 3 minutes or so.  The quality is higher but there are way fewer channels.  The "cable" channel tuner that is all standard def takes forever, 14 minutes, but there are many more channels where I live.  I've found that since there are no digital channels on QAM here, if I let it run through the analog lineup I can quit after one or two digital channels by pressing 'return' over and over to back out of the menu system.  That literally cuts the 14 minute setup to about 2 minutes and all the 'cable' channels are available.

Lately I have been recording to +RW and mostly to -RAM media and then copying it to my PC for later viewing on the PC and also to view on non-recorder units.  That's what I mean by manual-hybrid DVR.  Here are some rules I've discovered.

First of all, the Panasonic unit does not like any media that it did not format or record.

Second, Panasonic recorded RW discs are very protective of their contents and file structure.

Basically, once content is removed from a Panasonic disc, it can't go back to being played on a Panasonic recorder.

It just appears to be lost time remaining; although sometimes the Track listing is goofy and the disc needs to be Pana formatted.

Someone here may have a work around but I haven't found one yet.  I think it's a rights issue, even as admin.  I can replace RW files but the results are so far inconsistent at best.

Now for the good news

Recording to RAM, copying to PC and back to RAM works on the Pana recorder, you can even edit the copied back content.

--You can only do that on a Panasonic formatted RAM though

RAM content copied to an RW either directly or from a PC HDD (hard disk drive) works in my Blu-Ray and old combo units

RW content can also be treated like the RAM content and played on non-recorder units

--These RW discs may be formatted on the PC.  Sometimes they need a long format, sometimes quick will do.

--The full filesystem will need to be copied over to the RW root.  Avoid having other files corrupting the filesystem.

--Relabeling an RW will ruin it for the Panasonic player, but re-relabeling it with the right name will fix it.  (use the DOS 'label' command.)

--These RW operations have only been tested on several brands of +RW media, but not on -RW.

--These tricks didn't work on a PS3

Say you have content called "Alpha Show"  If you create a directory called "Alpha Show" and copy the disc to that (RW/RAM) you can read it using several different software players.  Codecs may be an issue but it can be solved.

Next task: DNLA!

post #874 of 884 Old 02-05-2014, 11:34 AM

Liked: 19
Is there a problem leaving a disc on pause for extended periods, say fifteen minutes while recording on any of the DMR - EZ28 Recorders?, or is it not recommended?

Thanks,

Anthony

I remember when products were built to last.
post #875 of 884 Old 02-05-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 99

I guess I'd try an avoid it if possible but unlike videotape pausing a DVDR doesn't cause the heads to spin over and over on the same segment of tape. On a DVDR it would just cause general wear and tear which should be minimal.

I've left mine on pause for an hour or so with no issues but if you don't have to I guess I wouldn't, if you had to then I'd go ahead and do it.

post #876 of 884 Old 02-05-2014, 07:43 PM

Liked: 19
Thanks jjeff. I'm trying to cut down on the tracks on discs. I'm averaging a cleaning about every two - three weeks. I figured it wasn't a great idea.

Thanks again.

I remember when products were built to last.
post #877 of 884 Old 11-23-2014, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My EZ27 is acting up again, so I'm going to remove it from service for another thorough cleaning sometime in the next few days. The errors got me to thinking... is there a list somewhere of what models to look for as a spare/replacement? Or models to avoid? I usually burn a couple of hundred DVDs a year and use FR frequently, so the Panasonics may be the only ones to consider but I'm not really familiar with the E-EH-ES pros and cons.

On another front, 99.9% of the discs I've burned have been +R but I've found a bargain in -R discs. Any thoughts on the positives or negatives of -R blanks in my EZ27?

Thanks in advance for any help.
post #878 of 884 Old 11-23-2014, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTarHeel View Post
My EZ27 is acting up again, so I'm going to remove it from service for another thorough cleaning sometime in the next few days. The errors got me to thinking... is there a list somewhere of what models to look for as a spare/replacement? Or models to avoid? I usually burn a couple of hundred DVDs a year and use FR frequently, so the Panasonics may be the only ones to consider but I'm not really familiar with the E-EH-ES pros and cons.

On another front, 99.9% of the discs I've burned have been +R but I've found a bargain in -R discs. Any thoughts on the positives or negatives of -R blanks in my EZ27?

Thanks in advance for any help.
DVD-R discs are always to be preferred to DVD+R discs with Panasonic recorders. I do not use DVD+R discs in any of my Panasonic, Magnavox and Philips recorders. My home-recorded DVD library now has more than 15,000 DVDs. My DVDs of choice are Taiyo Yuden 8x Premium Line DVD-R media. I do not use 16x DVDs in my recorders. I use 16x DVDs when duplicating DVDs or for computer work.

The current preference would be recent or current non North American Panasonic HDD/DVD models. I have no experience with international models so I would hope that others might provide specific advice as to the best models.

North American Panasonic E series recorders were last produced in 2003. North American ES series DVD recorders and EH series HDD/DVD recorders were last offered for sale in the US in 2006 (and continued to be sold while stock lasted in Canada).

While ES and EH series recorders are reliable workhorses they are now at or near the end of their service lives unless one has access to service and replacement parts. Mickinct specializes in repairing/rebuilding ES and EH recorders thus extending their service life.

Panasonic EZ and EA series recorders were first produced in 2007 and 2008 (but the 2008 models were continued in production for an additional two or three years). EZ series recorders were plagued with bugs and design flaws. All six of my 2007 and 2008 EZ series recorders have now been "junked" (but are being retained for service parts).

I continue to use 2005 and 2006 ES and EH series recorders and one EA series recorder from 2009.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)

Last edited by DigaDo; 11-23-2014 at 09:50 PM.
post #879 of 884 Old 11-25-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post
DVD-R discs are always to be preferred to DVD+R discs with Panasonic recorders.
These are Taiyo Yuden but they're 16X.

I haven't been able to get to the cleaning yet, but thanks for the clarification on other models. Am I correct in thinking that my frequent use of FR ties me to the Panasonics?
post #880 of 884 Old 11-25-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTarHeel View Post
Am I correct in thinking that my frequent use of FR ties me to the Panasonics?
Panasonic is the easiest recorder to find that uses FR, other older models were Pioneer and Toshiba made Toshibas(mostly XS series HDD models).
Note only Panasonic uses FR where you set a time, Pios and Toshibas use a MN system where you set the bitrate and not duration for your recording but it gives you many recording speeds like Panasonics FR.
post #881 of 884 Old 11-25-2014, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Note only Panasonic uses FR where you set a time, Pios and Toshibas use a MN system where you set the bitrate and not duration for your recording but it gives you many recording speeds like Panasonics FR.
jjeff, not sure about the Pioneer models but with my Sony RDRHX780 the MN setting will tell you the time as shown on the graph below.

That graph above is a timetable assuming the HDD, DVD or DL DVD is fresh and empty.

Say you already have a one 2-hour title at SP or MN-21 recorded on the HDD. Switching the MN settings will deduct time off the timetable

Same thing applies when putting in a DVD-R
If the disc is empty and you set the recorder bitrate to MN21 or SP the recorder graphic will read:
SP
or MN21 = 2 hours remaining on disc

If the disc already has a one-hour program recorded at SP and you dial the bitrate to SP then the recorder graphic will read:
SP or MN21 = 1 hour remaining on disc
And so on.

Note – for SP and lower settings the timetable works in 10-minute increments. Above SP settings work in 5-minute increments.

For HSD dubbing If you dial in a higher MN setting then the time left on disc the recorder graphic will tell you that it needs to do a real-time lower bitrate transfer or you need to put in a disc with longer time remaining on disc. You can mix MN setting recordings. Say you have a one hour SP or MN21 recording on disc – you can HSD to the same disc another title that is 30-minutes long and recorded at HQ or MN32.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MN.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	317.5 KB
ID:	385617  

Last edited by Super Eye; 11-25-2014 at 11:35 PM.
post #882 of 884 Old 11-26-2014, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes the HDD Sony you have is exactly like the Pioneers and old Toshibas, and thanks for the chart. While FR and MN basically do the same thing, that is allow many recording speeds, the concept of how to set the speed is quite different, which is what I wanted to point out to SVTarHeel. I'm very use to Panasonics FR but believe I'd much rather have the MN speed settings method, FR gets real complicated when you have a disc with many titles or even worse, different recording speeds on it.
post #883 of 884 Old 11-26-2014, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 57
The difference in philosophy between the FR method of the Panasonic's and the MN method of the others is quite simple. The FR method is very easy for most users who don't want to do too much head-scratching over their use of a disk. This makes it easy to use, for simple applications, but tedious for more complex schemes. The MN system is harder to use initially, but easier for complex purposes. Many of us here are more advanced users and we wish that Panasonic had the MN system, or maybe both available. I wouln't say one is superior to the other, just very, very different.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #884 of 884 Old Today, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I recently pulled my DMR-EZ27 out of storage and was wondering if a fix was ever developed for the "timer recording" problem. I like recording one show Monday thru Friday and on occasion the unit just doesn't record what's been scheduled. I've tried searching for a fix and the only thing I've found is a work around which involves scheduling each recording by date...what a pain! I guess updating the firmware wouldn't help the situation? Any help would be appreciated. By the way I'm using this forum (EZ-28) because I didn't see one specifically for EZ27. Thanks for the help!!!
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Panasonic