post #181 of 876 Old 05-31-2008, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpayant View Post

I just bought the DMR-28EZ DVD recorder and have been able to record single shows on it. But I can't figure out how to set it to record daily or weekly shows. The manual says set the Date/Frequency in the schedule recording screen. It only seems to give me options to set a specific date for recording, but doesn't tell how to convert that to daily or weekly. The menu shows I can enter 0-9 but doesn't tell me the logic for what those numbers mean. Help!

Don't have the ez28, but on the ez47, you do this...When you get to the date tab, press the arrow down button, that takes you to 'weekly', and press again to get 'Mon-Fri'.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 876 Old 05-31-2008, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does the EZ28 (and EZ18 and EZ17/27) have the issue that the ES15/25 had with continuous recording on a dual-layer disc? The ES15/25 had to have the first layer finalized before being able to record the second. This was a pain for recording a long movie or hockey game on a DL disc.
post #183 of 876 Old 05-31-2008, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You may set the Schedule menu to record daily or weekly programs as Westly-C mentions.

Your Panasonic is a 2008 model. In the 2007 Panasonics (I have two DMR-EZ17 models) scheduled recordings set up daily or weekly may not always record. This is just one of several bugs in the 2007 models.

The workaround for this bug is to schedule all programs with actual dates.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #184 of 876 Old 06-02-2008, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
UPDATE:
My DMR-EZ28K recently died!! I have owned it for about 11 weeks and was not using it very frequently for anything besides the tuner and occasionally watching movies or recirding a show. During the 11 week period, I used the tuner for several hours daily, used the DVD player about once every other day and used the DVD recorder about once a week.

On week 11, while I was changing channels, the recirder froze. I was unable to get it to turn off or on and after trying myltuple means of resetting the device, I ended up unplugging it in order to get it to turn off. I spent at least an hour trying to get it to turn back on, but it simply would not. Resetting (with the reset button and with the on//off button) for extended durations of time, unplugging, waiting and even yelling did not work. I managed to get the "HELLO" message to appear on the LCD display after resetting it with the on/off button at just the right time, but was unable to get further than that. It never displayed any image and I was unablet o eject the DVD tray to extract my disc.

The Panasonic support rep was no help as he simply had me repeat the steps I had done on my own to no avail, then said "you're right, it won't turn on". He offered to send me a box with instructions to ship it back to them so they can service it, but I refused as I had purchased the Besy Buy service plan when I originally purchased the device and this plan allowed me to take it directly to them, get my DVD out and have them service it without having to wait for the mailing system to transport my DVD recorder back and forth to Panasonic.

As of this update, I have retrieved my DVD and Best Buy is working on the recorder - I'll keep you updated.
post #185 of 876 Old 06-02-2008, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Dhjellen,

If Best Buy sends your DMR-EZ28 to a local "Panasonic Authorized Service" location don't expect a prompt resolution as they service many makes, specializing in none. I would expect that Best Buy may eventually exchange your DMR-EZ28 for a new one.

If Best Buy does not resolve this to your entire satisfaction be sure to accept the Panasonic solution. Your DMR-EZ28 is covered under the Panasonic one year warranty that provides free to and from shipping, through a local UPS Store, to the corporate Panasonic Service Center in Elk Grove Village IL. This is the only location where there are Panasonic experts with immediate access to parts for quick and efficient service.

For Panasonic warranty service, call 1-800-211-7262 to obtain a RMA.

Here is the address for the corporate Panasonic Service Center:

Panasonic Service Center
1590 Touhy Ave
Elk Grove Village, IL 60007

I am in Oregon. When I called Panasonic with a warranty claim for a DMR-ES30V in 2006 I was sent an email with RMA information and a link to print out a UPS shipping label. The same day I visited my UPS location and the Panasonic was on its way to Illinois. My Panasonic was back in service in less than two weeks. This machine has had heavy use (around 4,200 recording hours) and continues to give good service.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #186 of 876 Old 06-02-2008, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree with DigaDo.

I would rather send it to Panasonic directly during the initial 1-year warranty then trust BB to get it serviced either quickly or correctly.

RG
post #187 of 876 Old 06-02-2008, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Another Update
Well it kind of pained me to do this but I returned my EZ-28. The last straw was when I was recording a program I really wanted to a Panasonic RAM(that had only been used 2 other times). I pushed DIRECT NAVIGATOR and it brought up my title list. I pushed PLAY and the machine popped up with a warning that the disc may be corrupt and to hit enter to proceed with disc recovery. I did this but the machine was just stuck in a loop, changing between HELLO, 000000 and the disc recovery menu. Finally I held down the power button for 10 seconds which shut machine down. I was then able to eject the disc. I reinserted the disc which started the whole loop over again. I ejected the disc again and this time inserted it in my ES-25. The disc played just fine all the way to the end (where it locked up on the EZ-28).
After playing the disc I reformatted the disc and it worked just fine on the EZ-28.
While I think the machine makes beautiful DVDs off HD broadcasts(espically 720p ones) it's just too flaky for me. I can't trust it with irreplaceable recordings. IMO this machine is more reliable than the EZ-x7 machines(the EZ-28 might occasionally lock up but doesn't die) but since I have a abundance of ES machines that never give me problems I will use those with a CM-7000 CECB using it's S-video to feed my ES machines.
Doing this I'd say I get about 80% the PQ of a EZ-28 recording off a HD broadcast. IMO a EZ-27 would be 90% while a ES analog recording would be 40%. Using my Zenith composite CECB I'd guess 70%.

Other than the great recording quality the EZ-machines were never a good match for me. Their just to slow and flaky. I love to use weekly scheduled events which have a bug in all EZ machines. I'd guess the EZ-28 is 98% reliable for recording while my ES machines are 99.5%. 98% isn't bad but since lots of my recordings are of programs that are never repeated or sold on DVD, eg. Grammys, Oscars, and the occasional reality show dance programs. I really want every recording to work, or be as close to 100% as possible.

If you do have a EZ-28 and it locks up, for me what clears it (or did every time I had problems) was to hold the power button in for 10 seconds. Does wonders but depending on where you were on your recording you may loose your recording.

My ultimate device will be the TR-50 (if or when it comes out). I will apply my EZ-28 moneys towards one of those. The EZ-28 does make some very fine HD lite recordings but I'm sure I'll get used to the true HD in a hurry and only use my DVDRs for DVD backups and borrowing to friends.

I really hated to see it go but after reading our threads initiator also had problems with his I think I made the right decision. If this was my only DVDR I would have kept it, but it's not.
post #188 of 876 Old 06-03-2008, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Another Update
Well it kind of pained me to do this but I returned my EZ-28.

Too bad but understandable. It's the potential of lost recording issues such as this that makes me determined to never buy a recorder without a HDD. I still have 8 months before I'm forced into action so I'll just wait and see what equipment comes to market. I know we're waiting for the TR-50 but I'm not pinning my hopes on a mystery box that may have it's own set of reliability, tuner or PQ issues.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #189 of 876 Old 06-03-2008, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I picked up an EZ-28 from the Best Buy Outlet Store on eBay for $76.00 ($95.61 including tax + shipping). I figured that for less than a hundred bucks I'd take a chance on it.

So far I like it a lot. I recorded the Lost season finale on it on a DVD-RAM disc, and, although not HD, the WS recording from the digital channel of the local ABC station looked VERY good through HDMI on my Samsung 40" LCD HDTV.

I haven't tested it for jjeff or dhjellen's "bugs", but I can confirm that channel surfing is not something you want to do on this recorder -- it's painfully slow.

I will not use it as the only recorder to record "irreplaceable" programs though, but I won't have to. For example, I programmed 3 DVDRs to record the Lost program, my workhorse E-500, the EZ-17 and the EZ-28. I still have my Pioneer 640 as another back up if I need it.

I will probably use the EZ-28 to record those programs on DVD-RAM that I want to watch in full WS from digital channels. If the show is a keeper, I can always dub it to a TY DVD-R disc.

So my EZ-28 is a keeper, but I'm sorry to hear that jjeff returned his.

RG
post #190 of 876 Old 06-03-2008, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgazzara View Post

I will not use it as the only recorder to record "irreplaceable" programs though, but I won't have to. For example, I programmed 3 DVDRs to record the Lost program, my workhorse E-500, the EZ-17 and the EZ-28. I still have my Pioneer 640 as another back up if I need it.

I will probably use the EZ-28 to record those programs on DVD-RAM that I want to watch in full WS from digital channels. If the show is a keeper, I can always dub it to a TY DVD-R disc.

So my EZ-28 is a keeper, but I'm sorry to hear that jjeff returned his.

RG, here's an issue that hasn't come up in ages but you are in a position to test it on the new recorders with digital tuners. Let's just talk about the EZ-28 and forget about the EZ-17.

1. Can you HS dub that RAM Lost recording from the EZ-28 to the E-500? (probably yes)

2. Once you get it on the E-500, can you HS dub the lost recording to a DVD-R -- or will it have to be re-encoded in realtime.

Remember, we had these issues with the ES-15 and others because they did not have a HS-dub option to constrain the VBR recording into DVD standards.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #191 of 876 Old 06-03-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Remember, we had these issues with the ES-15 and others because they did not have a HS-dub option to constrain the VBR recording into DVD standards.

As I spend more time at this forum I am beginning to wonder what the fascination is here with "high-speed dubbing", which is what? 5x? Can anyone explain that to me? Maybe I'm missing something.

I have never seen a stand-alone DVD recorder make as good or as fast a recording as a computer-based burner. That is, the stand-alone-recorded dvds have way more errors when scanned (I am assuming the use of generally accepted quality media). Are people here adverse to recording to -RAM (or - +RW) importing to a computer and then burning? Is it a time issue?

And what does "constrain the VBR recording into DVD standards" mean? I use an ES15. I import my recordings to the computer and edit there. According to Recode, even after Nero 'transcodes', the resulting video files are still VBR and the DVD picture is virtually indistinguishable from the original source (unless that original source was in HD, in which case the DVD 480i picture looks ALMOST as good as the original especially when upscaled.). Now, to be fair, my tv is only 36" so it may be too small for me to notice the differences you all are alluding to.

I'm not complaining, but I am looking to be educated in the thinking of this particular forum....

Thanks in advance.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur
post #192 of 876 Old 06-03-2008, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I think the perk of high-speed dubbing (aside from avoiding generational losses) is not necessarily the brute n-times increase, rather that it just happens faster than having to record it all over again at 1:1 time. Additionally, you can often still do other things on the recorder (watch a different source, record, or play another program) while HS-dubbing, as opposed to the alternative (realtime dubbing) which utterly "occupies" the device.

It's also convenient to do everything "in situ" on the recorder, rather than move it all to a pc just to do the same thing. Naturally, there are others with more demanding requirements that would be met with a pc editing suite. If that is the case, then more power to you. If not, then avoiding touching a pc can be just as desirable.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #193 of 876 Old 06-03-2008, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

RG, here's an issue that hasn't come up in ages but you are in a position to test it on the new recorders with digital tuners. Let's just talk about the EZ-28 and forget about the EZ-17.

1. Can you HS dub that RAM Lost recording from the EZ-28 to the E-500? (probably yes)

2. Once you get it on the E-500, can you HS dub the lost recording to a DVD-R -- or will it have to be re-encoded in realtime.

With my Panny combo ES30 and a RAM disc, you can hi speed dub to my EH85's hdd, that show will not carry the hi-speed 'flag' if that's the proper terminology, to allow that show to be hi speed dubbed to a dvd-r. Only with RAM can you go back and forth like that. Same goes for my new EZ47, anything recorded on it, doesn't carry the h/s flag.
Quote:

Trek101 said
As I spend more time at this forum I am beginning to wonder what the fascination is here with "high-speed dubbing", which is what? 5x? Can anyone explain that to me? Maybe I'm missing something

Hi speed dubbing allows you to dub from a hdd model recorder's hdd to disc in les than 15 mins-depending on the final file size of what you're dubbing. A 'real time dub' is just that-a 90 min movie on the drive, will take 90 mins to dub to a dvd-r, with the picture quality taking a hit, and any manually inserted chapter markers obliterated.

They're not com-tastic!
post #194 of 876 Old 06-03-2008, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Kelson,

OK, I'll give it a shot as soon as I have the time.

I'll take the Lost DVD-RAM and HS dub it to the HDD of the E-500, which probably will happen with no problem. Then I'll try to HS dub it from the HDD of the E-500 to a TY DVD-R. This is where the problem may occur. If the program doesn't show up with the HS-enabled icon on the dubbing screen, then it probably won't HS dub to the DVD.

Another thing I can try is to take the Lost DVD-RAM and HS dub it to the HDD of the Pioneer 640, and then try to HS dub it to a DVD-R.

If neither of these methods work, does anybody know if you can copy a DVD-RAM disc to a DVD-R disc losslessly (equivalent to a HS dub) using computer drives? Do you need special software? Are there DVD-RAM to DVD conversion programs that produce a bit-for-bit copy?

Finally, if none of these works, then I'll have to predict which shows might be keepers, and record them directly on DVD-R discs in the EZ-28.

I'll post the results as soon as I can.

RG
post #195 of 876 Old 06-03-2008, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

With my Panny combo ES30 and a RAM disc, you can hi speed dub to my EH85's hdd, that show will not carry the hi-speed 'flag' if that's the proper terminology, to allow that show to be hi speed dubbed to a dvd-r. Only with RAM can you go back and forth like that. Same goes for my new EZ47, anything recorded on it, doesn't carry the h/s flag.

Westly, if it doesn't work on the EZ-47 it probably won't work on the EZ-28 either, but I'll give it a shot.

In any case, I'll try it on the Pioneer 640 as well.

RG
post #196 of 876 Old 06-03-2008, 01:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:

Another thing I can try is to take the Lost DVD-RAM and HS dub it to the HDD of the Pioneer 640, and then try to HS dub it to a DVD-R.

Barring copy protection, a Disc Backup on the Pio 640 should make a high-speed temporary copy on the HDD and spit out a final dub in HS also, already Finalized and ready to go!

Since it's a VR-mode disc, it should also HS copy (w/the normal Copy menu) to the HDD for a permanent copy on the HDD for normal HS dubbing, altho I've never tried it with a -RAM disc either this way or a Backup, so it'll be an interesting test!
post #197 of 876 Old 06-03-2008, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Kelson,

If neither of these methods work, does anybody know if you can copy a DVD-RAM disc to a DVD-R disc losslessly (equivalent to a HS dub) using computer drives? Do you need special software? Are there DVD-RAM to DVD conversion programs that produce a bit-for-bit copy?

Is your pc burner RAM compatible? If so, it should have come with a dvd authoring program, can you check to see wha program's on your pc? Sonic's MyDVD, Ulead, TMPG DVD Author Pro all handle RAM content. The latter 2 offer fully functional trial versions-TMPG being the best, imo.

They're not com-tastic!
post #198 of 876 Old 06-03-2008, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

rgazzara-Sounds like you got a super deal. I will still recommend the EZ-28 for its great recording quality it's just in my case with an abundance of basically 100% reliable ES machines the EZ-28 with it's occasional problem didn't make sense. I will miss the PQ but not it's somewhat temperamental behavior. Lets just say it was a love hate relationship
For the price you got it for I wouldn't hesitate and would probably pick one up myself. It's just for over $229 retail the EZ-28 is almost 1/2 the price of what I'm hoping the TR-50 might sell for. I guess I'm really putting all my eggs in one basket with the TR-50 but until then I'm getting some pretty decent recordings using my CM-7000 CECB hooked up to my ES-25s line in. I'd guess I get about 90% the PQ of the EZ-28 using this setup. I can live with the -10% until the TR-50 comes out.
post #199 of 876 Old 06-03-2008, 08:19 PM

I think I've read all the posts here but haven't seen an answer to the question about the EZ28 being able to record Cable movies with protection. I have a Sony RDRGX330 that records everything but it's an older machine that doesn't upconvert (Progressive Scan only). I had a newer Sony RDRGX355 (upconverts to 1080i) that wouldn't record anything protected (including movies from non-premium channels like TNT, AMC, etc.) I used it mainly to watch upconverted DVD's and for transferring from my camcorder to DVD (because it had a "pause record" function that the 330 didn't). The 355 died so I want to replace it but am looking for a machine that can upconvert to 1080p AND record movies on TNT, AMC, etc. that are protected.

Will someone be kind enough to answer the following questions about the EZ28 if possible:

1. Can the EZ28 record protected movies that are played on TNT, AMC, etc?
2. Can the EZ28 play "finalized" +R DVD's made on a Sony 330 or 355? (I know this may be hard to answer unless you also have one of these machines.)
3. Can the FR, "Flexible Recording", function be used when recording from a cable company DVR? I have a Comcast "Motorola" High-Def DVR that I record movies on. The ones I want to archive, I record to DVD. Some of the movies are over 120 minutes long (some 130 to 180 minutes). The Sony allows me to select a 2.5 hr or 3 hr mode that doesn't look too bad. The 4 hr mode was almost
not worth watching. I suspect the 4 hr mode for the EZ28 is just as bad so I was hoping the FR function could be used when recording from the Motorola DVR. (Why doesn't Panasonic have a 3 hr mode since there are so many movies that run over 120 minutes but usually under 180 minutes?)

Thank you for your help, Mac

Sony Bravia KDL-40V2500 (1080p)
Motorola DCT3400 High-Def DVR
Sony RDRGX330 DVD Recorder
post #200 of 876 Old 06-04-2008, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

1. I don't have cable but I haven't heard of anybody else not being able to record the channels you mentioned. Occasionally people may have problems with pay channels like HBO etc. and then sometimes only certain programs like The Sopranos comes to mind.
Sony is known for overzealous copy protection problems so I wouldn't be surprised of a Panny was able to record programs the Sony could not. Of course if you're trying to copy a Hollywood DVD you will get the warning unless you use a filter. I think it really depends on your local cable company on what programs may contain the CP bit and what may not.

2. Finalized + discs should play no problem on the Panny, no matter what machine it was recorded on. Unfinalized discs recorded recorded on anything but a Panny will not play though.

3. Yes this Panny has FR mode. Using FR you can set the recording length to a standard DVD at anything from 1-8 hours/disc. As far as a 3hr recording speed, I would sure have liked that. Personally I think you'll find the 4hr LP mode on a Panny to be equal to a Sonys 2 1/2 or 3hr mode(IMO) but where the Pannys really excel is in speeds between 2+ hrs and about 3hrs/disc. If you're recording a straight through 3 hr program it is relatively easy process to use FR button and set the length for 3hrs and hit enter. If you have more than one title per disc it gets a little harder. For that what I do is for the first title set FR to 3hrs. Lets say the first title was 1hr long. After 1hr I push stop. Then for the next title I set FR for 2hrs(3-1=2). Lets say the second title is also 1hr. After one hour push stop. Then for your last event set FR for 1hr(3-2+1). After this last 1hr event has finished the disc will be full and you will have 3 1hr titles each in a speed that I call FR3. I know it would have been easier if Panasonic had included a 3hr mode, but once you get the hand of FR you'll find out it's not that hard, plus you'll have the benefit of unlimited speeds/disc. Note you MUST push STOP after each event(except the last one) using this method. You will not be able to do this on a scheduled event, again unless it's only one event per disc or it's the last event on the disc.
I said 3hrs although I've also read something like 2hrs 40 min/disc is optimal. What happens if you go much over 3hrs/disc is you'll start seeing Macroblocking or a mpeg effect which causes the screen to break up onto small squares in areas of fast movement(caused by I've read the signal being bit starved). If your material does not contain lots of fast movement you may be able to push the 4hr speed and still have the added benefit of full resolution using the Pannys.
If you ever want to see macroblocking and have a HDTV with a digital tuner tune to a 480i digital station(ION Life is a great example in my area). Pick a station that has something like 4 or 5 SD stations/major channel. You'll see macroblocking at its worse. It mainly happens at times of a scene change or when the screen has lots of small things moving at the same time. Running water or something like falling confetti will macroblock every time. Of course if the macroblocking is in the original signal your DVD will have it no matter what speed you use.
Another tip for seeing macroblocking is to look at the station bug during scene transitions or autoracing is another good example. You will see the station bug get fuzzy or turn into blocks even on a 1080i channel like NBC HD, since NBC tends to use subchannels on their main HD channel. CBS HD that does not contain subchannels is the best I've seen OTA but I've also even seen macroblocking on CBS. Blue Ray has the potential for a macroblock free image I believe because of the bandwith dedicated to its signal and maybe its superior mpeg compression techniques.
Sorry I degressed but macroblocking is really a pet peeve of mine.
post #201 of 876 Old 06-05-2008, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's an update on my attempt to transfer a program recorded on my EZ-28 DVDR on a DVD-RAM, to a DVD-R using HS (bit-for-bit) dubbing.

(1) Well I think we can put to rest the notion that programs recorded on any Panasonic DVDR (including the 2008 models) can ever be HS dubbed to the HDD of a Panasonic recorder with the HS dubbing flag set. After I dubbed the EZ-28 DVD-RAM to the HDD of my E-500, the HS dubbing icon was not visible, and the recorder refused to allow me to HS dub the program to a DVD-R. It would allow a HS dub back to a DVD-RAM, but we all knew that was possible.

(2) Next I tried using my Pioneer 640 to do the deed. I HS dubbed the program to the HDD (although it took longer than on the Panasonic at 27 minutes), and I set up the 640 to HS speed dub the program to a DVD-R. All appeared OK as the recorder happily displayed that the program would be HS copied onto the DVD-R. I started the HDD->DVD-R copy and left to do something else. When I returned to check on the dubbing, I found that the recorder was no longer responding (crashed?). I managed to shut the recorder off by holding in the power off button until it shut down. I removed the disc and it appeared that the copy was about 80% completed before the crash. I don't know why it crashed (bad media?) and I will try it again, but it appears to be possible.

More later when I try again.

RG
post #202 of 876 Old 06-05-2008, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

jjeff,
Is the DVD drive as noisy as in the EZ17 series? I do not use chase play with the EZ17 nearly as much I do with the ES20 because the drive is making such a racket going back & forth. I hear it all the way across the room. I was wondering if your EZ28 is quieter in this respect than the other Panny's that you returned.

I can't say about the EZ-17 but the chaseplay on the EZ-28 is a fair amount quieter than the ES-15/25. I returned my EZ-28 and have started using my ES-25 w/CM-7000 CECB. Anyway I never used chaseplay on my ES-25 before, but now that I'm into chaseplaying I've been using it. I can say for a fact that the ES-25(and also ES-15) is way more noisy than the EZ-28 during chaseplay. With the EZ-28 I would only occasionally hear a grinding noise coming from the machine. With the ES-25/15 I hear this much more often and it's louder. In fact during quite parts of a show it's downright annoying. And for those in the know, no I don't believe disc slippage is causing the noise. I recently cleaned the machines don't see scuffing on the disc spindle. I think the ES-25 and ES-15s are just not as isolated as far as disc noise.
For another reference point my '05 ES-30 is basically silent during chaseplay. It also probably weighs twice what the ES-25 does, although the ES-30 also contains the VHS unit I believe it's just overall a better build quality.
post #203 of 876 Old 06-06-2008, 05:48 PM

DTV HD-H21-200 ----hdmi to----tv
PS3----hdmi to-----tv
Panasonic DMR-EZ28K---red yellow white ----out or in?----to red yellow white----out or in??? on DTV?

Can someone help a noob?
post #204 of 876 Old 06-06-2008, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sure what you want to do. If it's play a DVD on the EZ-28 I would really suggest the HDMI out of the EZ-28 to your TV. The only other output I would consider would be component. I noticed a rather big drop in resolution and color quality by using S-video or composite out of my EZ-28. You'll also only get upconverting via HDMI or Component(if using unfinalized discs).
To record from your HR21 use its S-video out and RED and WHITE audio out to the S-video input and Audio input of the EZ-28. Personally I'd try and avoid the yellow composite unless it's the only option.
post #205 of 876 Old 06-06-2008, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Best: EZ28 HDMI out to TV (1080p)
Better: EZ28 S-Vid/Red/White out to TV (good 480i)
Worst: EZ28 Yellow/Red/White out to TV (lousy 480i)

If you don't have enough HDMI inputs, go component (Red/Green/Blue video + Red/White audio) out from your H21 or PS3 to your TV so you can free up an HDMI for the EZ28. Otherwise, you're really missing out on a great picture.

To record from the H21, connect it's S-Vid/Red/White out to S-Vid/Red/White in (input 1) on the EZ28.
post #206 of 876 Old 06-10-2008, 01:19 PM

I have upgraded my DVD recorder from the EZ-47 to the EZ-28. I record on DVD rams and noticed on replaying recordings I made from HD-channels, an annoying flickering when the picture transitions between dark scenes and lights scenes. it doesn't seem to bother my wife but I notice it. Again it is only on recordings made from an HD channel. My cable provider is Cox and I am running the cable directly from the wall into my Panasonic. After all the bugs I had with the EZ-47 I was hoping for a problem free EZ-28.
Anyone else have this flickering problem?
post #207 of 876 Old 06-17-2008, 10:39 PM

TO: JJeff. Thank you very much for the information. Sorry it took me so long to post this but my C drive had major problems and I had to restore it from a copy that was almost a month old that didn't have this site in my Favorites. Took me forever to find this site again. Anyway, thank you. The information will help me decide which DVDR to purchase. Mac

PS: Is Macroblocking the fuzzy pixalation you get around SD broadcasts? When I "upgraded" and got the Comcast "Digital" and HD programing I thought that the crummy SD video would improve but it didn't. The only video signals that look good are the true HD signals I get. The digital SD channels range from bad to worse and most of what I watch is SD. I thought going digital was supposed to improve the picture quality (at least a little). The SD channels actually seem to look better at my son's house and he has a regular CRT TV.
post #208 of 876 Old 06-18-2008, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes I have noticed Macroblocking on SD digital OTA stations. In my area ION is the worst. They cram 4 stations into a signal major channel and the PQ suffers terribly. I believe the reason for the macroblocking is the same reason you get it with a Panny if trying to record full resolution in too slow a speed. Bitrate is being starved and cannot keep up when the action gets fast and unpredictable for the MPEG algorithm to predict. To see this look in areas of fast movement and you will see blocks about 1" square. Another good time to see this is during scene transitions. Strobe lights and falling confetti is also a great time to see this effect.
Because of this effect I actually prefer to watch ION(and other analog SD channels) on my local analog channels since analog TV doesn't seem have a problem with fast movement. IMO (and everyone may not agree with this) a good quality strong analog channel looks better than a SD digital channel. Of course a good quality ghost free analog channel is harder to come by than a digital channel. It requires a good signal, good wiring/baluns/splitters low noise distribution amps etc. It's easier to fudge things with a decent strength digital signal.
Welcome back
post #209 of 876 Old 06-19-2008, 11:01 AM

Hello everyone, I may appear naive and this may have already been covered. I just ordered a DMR-EZ28K from Bestbuy. I had previously owned a LG DVD-R/VCR recorder. This lasted for about 2 years but finally died the other night (it will not read any blank DVD-RW or DVD-R, says "no disc"). I noticed reading through the posts that you are able to extend the return time by getting newer sales receipts. How do you go about doing this? Is this something that I can do? I do not live close to Best Buy and ordered the player online. I may be jumping the gun but after reading this it seems like I may or may not have problems with it. I do plan to timer record with it, the old LG recorded my soap opera 5 days a week for the past 2 yrs. It only recently had trouble reading the disks to start the recording. If someone has any advice about getting newer receipts, I would really appreciate it.

As a side note, I do not consider myself a electronic guru but am fairly knowledgeable with computers. However when work is done I just want to come home, turn on the stuff and have it work. I have a 42" plasma Insignia TV, a regular Toshiba older DVD player and a home theater in a box audio system. I have just ordered Direct TV and plan on cancelling my cable. I am waiting to schedule the install appt. until after the new Panasonic DVD arrives so I can get my system back to normal before the satellite people come and change it all again. I will try to come back and post to let everyone know how it goes, in case it may be helpful.
post #210 of 876 Old 06-25-2008, 11:56 PM

I got the EZ28 and set it up today but am having problems getting a decent HiDef picture. I've got a coax going from my Comcast (Motorola) HiDef Box to the EZ28 and a HDMI cable from the EZ28 to the Sony 1080P TV, but the picture in FULL mode shows up only 3/4 size centered on the TV with black boarders all around. If I set the TV pic to Zoom it fills the screen but the picture quality goes way down. The TV indicates 1080p.

When I tried it with Component cables, the picture filled the screen horizonally but with large black areas on top and bottom, the picture was distored (people were short and squat) and the PQ wasn't as good. TV indicated 1080i.

Any suggestions on what I can do to get a decent, full screen HD picture with the EZ28?

Thanks for the help. Mac

Sony Bravia KDL-40V2500 (1080p)
Motorola DCT3400 High-Def DVR
Panasonic EZ28 DVD Recorder
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page