Grex Advanced video stabilizer vs Video Filter - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 261 Old 07-27-2009, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you to all members for your help with the video filter. The purchase has been made, contact established and unit is on it's way. YEAH!! I can't wait to get it and hope the set up is easy for a rookie. :>)
I will be hooking it up between a Presidian VCR/DVD combo (as the VHS player) to a Panasonic DMR-EZ48V DVD Recorder combo. (as the recorder)
Feel free to give me any 'heads-up' on info that will assist me or be of important insight for me to know about. Thanks again to this forum and the members!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 261 Old 07-28-2009, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggalbugg View Post

Feel free to give me any 'heads-up' on info that will assist me or be of important insight for me to know about.

I should have mentioned it earlier, but the documentation is pretty sketchy. I had to fiddle withe the switches for a few minutes before I got it to work right (and I mean like five minutes, so not a real chore). Once I had it set, it has been really stable. It does not seem to overheat with prolonged use like my Sima does. I can't think of anything else right now. If you have any questions, ask Logic Design.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #93 of 261 Old 07-28-2009, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggalbugg View Post

I will be hooking it up between a Presidian VCR/DVD combo (as the VHS player) to a Panasonic DMR-EZ48V DVD Recorder combo. (as the recorder)

I'm not familiar with your Presidian combo but most combos only output VHS via the yellow composite output. For copying DVD's I'd personally use the S-video output(if available). It should give you a definite improvement in picture quality. S-video cables start at ~$4 at Menards or Monoprice.com.
post #94 of 261 Old 07-28-2009, 02:18 PM

Liked: 11
I agree that S-Video is the superior picture; however, except for my 2001 Phillips VCR, I have no S-Video output on my other recorders. The business industry didn't want people to get a better picture so they restricted S-Video out to DVD players and recorders. (Wants us all to only buy DVDs).

My VCR/DVD combo has an S-Video out but the manual specifically says it will only output the DVD signal. I also am not familiar with your VCR/DVD model but if you have a S-Video out but can't get the VCR picture from it...that would be normal. It will not be because the Video Filter is set up wrong or doesn't work.

Check your manual about the video output for your VCR portion of the unit. Normally I would think you may only use the yellow video out to the filter and then the filter video out...into your DVD video in. The red and white audio cables do not go through the filter. They go directly from the VCR to the DVD.

Just some added information.
post #95 of 261 Old 07-28-2009, 02:54 PM

Hi, my presidian PDC-3286 does have a S-video hook up. I just checked the manual and it says: Coaxial, DVD Audio Out, S-Video Out & Component Video Out jacks are only useful in DVD mode. This is the unit I was going to play the VHS tapes in and send it to the Panasonic DMR-EZ48V.
As noted, I am a rookie to all this stuff and I apologize for my ignorance. I did order
the Video Filter.
In regards to microladyusa reply, Does this mean that with the Video Filter and the newly purchased Panasonic, that I still won't be able to update my collection?
Keeping my finger/toes crossed for the best. Once again, sorry for my lack of knowledge, but with all your kind help.. I am learning. (hopefully-not the hard way)
post #96 of 261 Old 07-28-2009, 03:10 PM

You will do just fine and should be able to do exactly what you want.

You will be using the VCR video out (yellow plug) to the Video Filter ..yellow plug in....then the Video Filter yellow plug out to your video in (yellow plug) DVD recorder. (It is easier to see when you have the actual Filter to look at).

All this boils down to is...your DVD picture will be the same quality as your VCR picture.

The S-Video would allow a picture probably better than the VCR picture but that's all. And, as with my equipment I see your S-Video is not available for outputting your VCR picture...so you will
just use what most of us do..the regular VCR Video out jack. It does not mean you can't set up your VCR and recorder just as you want to.

Frankly, it is worth it to me to get at least a VCR picture on a DVD. I have gotten good DVD recordings using the VCR video out jack.

Don't worry. You are all set to go. I think you will be very pleased with your results.
post #97 of 261 Old 07-28-2009, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Then I would use the yellow composite output for copying VHS tapes and the Presidian's S-video output for copying DVDs. No sense to degrade the quality of DVD backups as long as your combo has a S-video output for DVDs. The Video Filter supports both although I'm not sure if you'd have to disconnect cables or if it has a input selector like my Sima video filter does. With the Sima I have both S-video and composite hooked up and just push it's input selector to select either source. It also has both outputs although they are the same, that is whatever I have selected with the input selector button.
post #98 of 261 Old 07-28-2009, 04:26 PM

Thank you so much for all that have replied! I do agree, it is worth having at least VCR quality picture compared to nothing at all. I have printed out the suggested connections between the units and Vfilter to refer to. The presdian is a primative Radio Shack brand with the basics (no burner) and it's good to hear that I will still be able to accomplish my backup goals with the panasonic. I am sure I may be back this weekend with novice questions and I just want to THANK everyone in advance for your help and patience. :>)
post #99 of 261 Old 07-28-2009, 06:32 PM

Just to make sure it sounds clear to you about the video plugs.

To copy a VHS tape to a DVD, you will use the yellow video composite jacks and plugs for the video picture. Your video signal will come out of the VCR..go into the VF...come out of the VF and go into your DVD recorder. The Red and White jacks and cables are audio only. They will come out of the VCR audio jacks and go into the DVD recorder audio jacks. (The VF is really only for the video picture itself).

If you were to copy a DVD from your combo to your DVD recorder then for the best video picture, you would want to use the S-Video jacks instead of the yellow jacks.

The VF has a separate jack for S-Video and has one for the yellow composite video. And also there are 4 switches, which you probably saw in the photo on the website. Switches 1 and 4 control whether the yellow video is used or the S-Video is used. Switch 1 up and Switch 4 down should allow the VHS recording. Switch 2 sets up 16:9 or 4:3 aspect (wide-screen vs full screen). Switch 3 will be up so it is set to Copy Always.

Also the small instruction sheet for the VF said for connection information go to the website and click on Connections.

It is basically your Video Source goes In to the VF and the VF sends that signal Out to your DVD Recorder's Video In jack so the Recorder "sees" the VHS video. If your Recorder is connected to your TV, you should be able to see on your TV..what the Recorder is seeing coming from the VCR. I'm sure your manual talks about recording from an external source.

Just some more information I hope helps.
post #100 of 261 Old 07-28-2009, 09:49 PM

Thank you microladyusa for your very much needed insight. (printed it out) I feel better about connecting everything and think I just might be able to get the job done.
(I am not holding my breath though)
One little insight of mine own.... the people on this site are the BEST!
I will be back this weekend to touch base. (smile/wink)
post #101 of 261 Old 07-29-2009, 11:01 AM

One final thought.....if you have VHS tapes you haven't looked at in a while....it would be a good idea to FF and Rewind....a process I call unpacking. Some people find that in the middle of transferring tape to DVD...there may appear a tracking problem.. I believe running the tape forward to the end and then rewind to the beginning should settle the tape so it moves correctly.

My manual talks about checking the VHS tape for any tracking at the start and playing the tape a little to see how it goes. I know I dubbed a regular TV tape to DVD and saw the DVD recorded a tracking at the top of the screen. The rest of the picture was okay so it was good enough for me as far as that TV show. I do have some movie tapes I want to transfer so I will be more picky about those and try and make sure there is no tracking problem at the start, if possible.

I do know when my tapes for timeshifting start showing tracking problems, I do the unpacking suggestion above and then they play just fine for quite a while.
post #102 of 261 Old 07-29-2009, 09:30 PM

Thank you so much for the insight! I for sure will do 'unpacking' on the VHS tapes. To me that is a very clever idea and process to do. :>)
post #103 of 261 Old 08-03-2009, 03:44 PM

Okay, I failed in getting my units to work with the VF. I am not even sure if I have enough cables/hook ups at this point. I am a prehistoric rookie!!

When I hooked it up per manual on the Panasonic for adding another component, I got the 'unable to copy' message, but know I probably had something improperly hooked up.
I tried a few different hook ups and then recordered black/white static as I was veiwing the movie, but got no message. Me lost!
Can someone with allot of patience help me?

Here is my current hook up:
Slyvania TV=front jacks r/w/y (none in back for r/w/y) cables to Panasonic vhs/dvd burner 'Common Out r/w/y'. (below that is empty with r/w/y and S video that says IN1 that is not in use)
Back of TV=white/red cables to Panasonic 'Component-Video Out r/w. (above that is green/blue/red plug areas that are empty)
Back of TV=black coax cord to Panasonic RF out.
Back of TV= s.video to Panasonic 'Component-Video Out S-Video.
Panasonic Burner=Cable caox from wall into the RF IN.

The Presidian (radio shack) VHS/DVD player which will be the VHS player have the green, blue and red plug areas and so does the Panasonic under the 'Component-Video Out' area. I think I am suppose to use these areas right?

Do I need another set of r/w/y cables or black coax cord(s)? Or is two sets enough?
I am totally lost as to how to hook up the two units together as well as how
to adapt the VFilter. I thought I knew how to do it, but was I WRONG!!

If anyone can reply and help me with basic laymen terms as used above as to what I might have to purchase or how the color cords and others will hook up to VF and another unit, I greatly appericate your patience and insight.
Really feeling stupid at this point.......
post #104 of 261 Old 08-03-2009, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

The R/G/B cables are component out, which you do NOT want to use.

First question - does your VCR/DVD combo player output a signal on S-Vid, when playing a VHS tape? Probably not.

If yes, you will use the S-Vid output from the combo player, to the VF. Then another S-Vid cable from the VF to the Panny DVDR.

If no, you will use the composite video output, a yellow out, from your combo player, to the VF, and from the VF to the DVDR. That takes care of the video signal.

For audio, you can probably go direct from the combo player to the DVDR with the right and left audio outs, usually red and white, to the R/L audio ins on the DVDR. If instructions with the VF recommend it, you may want two sets of audio cables, to include the VF in the circuit, instead of going direct.

Then, to record, make sure you have selected the correct set of line inputs on the Panny, including either S-Vid, or composite. That should do it.
post #105 of 261 Old 08-03-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc View Post

The R/G/B cables are component out, which you do NOT want to use.

First question - does your VCR/DVD combo player output a signal on S-Vid, when playing a VHS tape? Probably not.

If yes, you will use the S-Vid output from the combo player, to the VF. Then another S-Vid cable from the VF to the Panny DVDR.

If no, you will use the composite video output, a yellow out, from your combo player, to the VF, and from the VF to the DVDR. That takes care of the video signal.

For audio, you can probably go direct from the combo player to the DVDR with the right and left audio outs, usually red and white, to the R/L audio ins on the DVDR. If instructions with the VF recommend it, you may want two sets of audio cables, to include the VF in the circuit, instead of going direct.

Then, to record, make sure you have selected the correct set of line inputs on the Panny, including either S-Vid, or composite. That should do it.

So if I have my tv and dvdBurner hooked up properly, I will need another set of r/w/y cables to hook up the second unit correct? (vhs player combo) Then will I need to purchase a seperate red, seperate white, seperate yellow for making the VFilter connection?
My s-video plays no factor in my hook ups, as it only works dvd on the radio shack/presidian player.

Previous post of mine:
Okay, I failed in getting my units to work with the VF. I am not even sure if I have enough cables/hook ups at this point. I am a prehistoric rookie!!

When I hooked it up per manual on the Panasonic for adding another component, I got the 'unable to copy' message, but know I probably had something improperly hooked up.
I tried a few different hook ups and then recordered black/white static as I was veiwing the movie, but got no message. Me lost!
Can someone with allot of patience help me?

Here is my current hook up:
Slyvania TV=front jacks r/w/y (none in back for r/w/y) cables to Panasonic vhs/dvd burner 'Common Out r/w/y'. (below that is empty with r/w/y and S video that says IN1 that is not in use)
Back of TV=white/red cables to Panasonic 'Component-Video Out r/w. (above that is green/blue/red plug areas that are empty)
Back of TV=black coax cord to Panasonic RF out.
Back of TV= s.video to Panasonic 'Component-Video Out S-Video.
Panasonic Burner=Cable caox from wall into the RF IN.

The Presidian (radio shack) VHS/DVD player which will be the VHS player have the green, blue and red plug areas and so does the Panasonic under the 'Component-Video Out' area. I think I am suppose to use these areas right?

Do I need another set of r/w/y cables or black coax cord(s)? Or is two sets enough?
I am totally lost as to how to hook up the two units together as well as how
to adapt the VFilter. I thought I knew how to do it, but was I WRONG!!

If anyone can reply and help me with basic laymen terms as used above as to what I might have to purchase or how the color cords and others will hook up to VF and another unit, I greatly appericate your patience and insight.
Really feeling stupid at this point.......
post #106 of 261 Old 08-03-2009, 08:38 PM

I went and viewed the hook up of the Grex, which has step by step instructions on how to hook up the Grex to a Panasonic DMR-EZ48V, it looks as if they are using the same vhs/dvd burner to play the vhs and burn all on the SAME unit. Does the video filter work the same way? I am currently trying to hook up 2 seperate combo units to my tv, plus the filter. Am I going bonkers here?
post #107 of 261 Old 08-03-2009, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I am not familiar with that model of Panasonic. Most combo player/recorders will NOT let you insert a filter between the VHS outs and the DVD inputs. But, your combo is just a player, not a recorder, right? So, the filter needs to be on the line outs of the combo player, and those need to go to the line inputs of the DVDR (DVD recorder - we don't call them burners - burners are what you use with a computer.) That can make it difficult to get the output of the combo player to the TV too, unless it has more than one set of outs, or unless you use an AV receiver. But, there may be other ways.

The R/G/B outputs on the combo player and the Panny DVDR are video outs. If your TV has R/G/B (component) inputs, you can connect your combo, and/or your DVDR to the TV with them. But, you will still have to get audio to the TV. If your TV doesn't have R/G/B component inputs, you shouldn't have anything at all hooked up to the R/G/B outs on your combo player, or DVDR. Also, there should be no outputs from the TV running to the DVDR, or combo player.

To tell you how best to hook up your system, I would need to know what inputs, and how many, are available on your TV. Also, what outputs and how many, are on your DVDR and combo player.
post #108 of 261 Old 08-04-2009, 12:08 PM

Okay, here it goes.. I hope you will be able to instruct me on any additional items to purchase and how to hook up the 3 units together....

TV= r/w/y plugs on the front. Back of TV= w/r plugs, S-Video and I believe a 'rf', as a coaxial cable cord is in there. (runs to combo recorder rf out) Tv is high on wall mount, unable to see)

Panasonic Combo Recorder:
Front of unit: IN2 S-video, r/w/y plugs
Back of unit: RF in, RF out coxial cable hook ups
DVD/VHS Common Out: r/w/y plugs
IN1 has r/w/y plugs with S-Video
Component Video Out: green/blue/red plugs
DVD Priority Out: r/w/y plugs with S-Video

Standard VHS/DVD combo Player:
Manual Says: Coaxial, DVD Out, S-Video & Component Video Out are for DVD mode only.
Front of unit: r/w/y plugs
Back of unit: Digital Audio Out=coaxial plug
DVD: Audio Out with r/w & S-Video
Component Video Out: green/blue/red plugs
DVD/VCR Audio Out: w/r/y plugs
VCR Audio In: w/r/y plugs
Ant-In, Ant-Out and Coxial cable hook ups

Keeping fingers crossed+++++++++++++
post #109 of 261 Old 08-04-2009, 02:18 PM

Don't try to think of everything at once. To do what you want to do right now, forget the red, green, blue plugs/jacks. These have nothing to do with recording a VHS tape to a DVD.

Your main viewing is the TV and the Panasonic combo recorder.
Do not change any of these connections. I assume you can record to the VCR part and to the DVD part from your TV? And you can watch on the TV a VHS tape and a DVD disc? You do not need to change any of these connections to do what you intend. Have you changed any of these or are they working like they were?

The Video Filter does not have audio jacks, it only helps you on the video part of a tape.

Your Presidian VHS/DVD Player you intend to use to play a VHS tape on and record that tape on the Panasonic DVD Recorder. (Yes, to do what you want you need two separate units).

On the back of the Presidian should be audio/video jacks, shown as one yellow (video), one red (audio), one white (audio). This is called composite video connections. The Red cable and the white cable go from the Presidian audio out to and INTO the Panasonic red and white audio in jacks. This will send the audio from your tape to the Panasonic DVD recorder.

You will use a yellow video cable from the Presidian yellow video jack out to and into the Video Filter yellow video in (the jack next to the 4 switches). Then you will use an identical yellow video cable from the VF video out jack and it will go into the Panasonic yellow video in jack.

This set up your VHS tape audio and video to go from the Presidian to the Panasonic DVD recorder with the video going through the VF.

In your connection description words..it would be:
Presidian: DVD/VCR Audio out: w/r/y/ plugs

Panasonic: IN1 has r/w/y plugs with S-Video (forget S-Video).

Plug one end of a red cable into the Presidian OUT and the other end into the Panasonic IN1 (red color jacks). Do the same with a white cable using the white color jacks. This connects your audio.

Plug one end of a yellow cable into the Presidian Video OUT and now you plug the other end of this cable into the VF Video IN. Take another yellow cable..plug one end into the VF Video OUT and plug the other end into your Panasonic IN1 yellow video jack. This will send your VHS tape video through the VF to the Panasonic DVD Recorder.

Presiden: "DVD/VCR Audio Out; w/r/y plugs". These plugs are the yellow, red, and white plugs that will send your VCR video out (the yellow one) and your VCR audio out (the red and white ones) of the Presiden player to: (the yellow goes into the VF IN and you use another yellow cable from the VF OUT to go into your Panasonic "IN1 yellow plug". Use the red and white audio cable coming from your Presidian red and white

Panasonic: "IN1 has r/w/y/ plugs with S-Video". Forget the S-Video. Remember the "IN1" and also these 3 jacks are the yellow, red and white ones that you will be using.

(again, I am assuming you have left your TV alone and the RF connections so you can use the TV and the Panasonic like you have been). We are only dealing with the Presidian, the VF, and the Panasonic here.

I believe if my mind is back in order, your connections should be okay. Do not record and waste a DVD until you are sure your DVD recorder is seeing the VCR tape.

To see this, put a tape in your Presidan to play (any tape). To see what the DVD Recorder will see....on your Panasonic remote, go to the lowest TV channel you have, 2 or 3, then go lower on the channel down button until you see something like "IN1". If you see this on your channel selection on the front of your recorder as the current channel selected, then push Play on the VCR and have the TV on to the channel you usually watch your Panasonic DVD on. You should see the picture on your TV that is coming from the Presidian VCR. If you see the picture and hear the audio...you are all set to do a transfer from a VHS tape to a DVD. Put in a tape to copy in the VCR and put in a DVD in your recorder. Press Play on the tape and Record on the DVD and you should see the picture being recorded on the TV on the "VCR/DVD channel".

Print this all out and anyone else's suggestions are welcome.

Let us know what happens.
post #110 of 261 Old 08-04-2009, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Microlady has accurately described how to connect the combo player to the VF and the Panny DVDR. However, from your description, I'm not so sure the rest of your connections are correct. So, here's what you should do:

Run the RF cable directly the Panny DVDR's RF input. Run another RF cable from the DVDR's RF output to the TV. This will just "pass through" the DVDR, unaffected. It will NOT output what is played back, or tuned, on the DVDR. It WILL allow you to watch one thing on the TV, while recording something else on the DVDR.

Run audio cables from the red and white audio outs on the DVDR to the back of the TV. Run a S-Vid cable from the yellow S-Vid output on the DVDR to the back of the TV.

Now, to select what you are watching on the TV, it may be as ML said, you might see something like "Line In" in the channel number selector of your TV. Or, you might use a button, or a menu, to select either "Antenna In," or "Line 1 (or 2) In." You will need to make sure you selected the inputs on the back, not the front of the TV. Further, you will probably need to select the S-Vid input, not the 'line,' or composite input.

Once you have selected that, you will be able to watch what is tuned, or played back, on your DVDR.

As ML says, on your DVDR, be sure you have selected the input from the Presidian combo player, and you can see that on your TV, and start a recording.
post #111 of 261 Old 08-05-2009, 01:58 PM

Just to let you know I just downloaded a copy of your manual and printed out Pages 6,7, and 28 so I can see what you are looking at on your Panasonic. Print out what I last posted to you and also kjbawc's post and answer my question about just the TV and Panasonic and how you use them now (without the VHS copy subject).

I see by your manual that you would not find the Presidian picture by using your channel up/down like other recorders can do. For you , by connecting the Presidian as above to the Panasonic IN1 3 jacks, you would see the Presidian picture on the Panasonic by using your remote control and pressing Input Select button and choosing IN1 as the input selected.

But first is to get your Presidian connected to your Panasonic with the 3 jacks. yellow, red, white, and the VF for the yellow as I described in my last reply.

I would like to know if your Panasonic and TV connections are the same as they were before the Presidian came into the picture. Also do you record and play off the Panasonic VCR and the Panasonic DVDRecorder? Or do you only use the DVDR? Do you record off TV with either or both recorders? Just want to make sure you have the setup okay to do all you want to do.

See if the above printouts help you and then see what questions you have. Keep posting. It can be done.
post #112 of 261 Old 08-05-2009, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't have a EZ-48(thank goodness) but on other previous Panasonics you are indeed able to toggle the various inputs by using the CH up or CH down buttons. Again on other Panasonics when you get to your highest channel pushing CH up will take you to input 1 followed by input 2 etc. etc. If you're on your lowest channel pushing CH down will take you to input 2 followed by input 2 etc. Note the SD reader and USB input are also in the scan list, I think they follow input 2 when pushing the CH up button.
Also with Panasonic combos you're able to insert a video filter between the VHS and DVD sections and I believe it was confirmed early in the EZ-48 thread that this was also possible with the EZ-48. You use the line output, run it through your filter and finally feed the line input. Push Play when watching your source(eg VHS) followed by pushing DVD on the remote, finally push REC on the remote. Of course for the input of the DVD recorder you want to select either Line input 1 or 2 (whatever you've hooked your video filter output to.
It sounds more complicated that it really is although it was much easier with a combo like the old ES-30v that had dual displays. You could monitor the progress of each side (VHS/DVD). Since all other combos only have one display you need to toggle with the remote to either VHS or DVD to see individual progress. The ES-30v is extremely handy in that respect and if I didn't have one I'd probably use a external source like your combo player to copy things.
post #113 of 261 Old 08-05-2009, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Hey, jjeff, did that trick work with the EH75? I haven't tried it, didn't even think to try it.

I find this thread interesting. When I got my Fideo Filter, I just put it in the S-Video line and that was that--very simple. There are some people here with much more complex setups than I have I guess. It has worked flawlessly for me, and it has had no noticeable picture quality hit. To be fair, I could make the same comments about the first device of this type that I bought, a Sima. When I needed a second one, Sima was no longer available, and I thought that the Video Filter would be the best product, since I wanted the best quality result. Little did I know that the quality of the VCR playback was SO much more important than any of the other components. Sigh... live and learn. The difference between the Sima and the Video Filter is insignificantly trivial compared to starting with a good quality playback.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #114 of 261 Old 08-05-2009, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

The loop through trick should work between the VHS and DVD sections of a EH-75v but I'm quite sure it wouldn't work between say the DVD and HDD sections. At least it doesn't on my EH-50 or EH-55. For those to get a CP'd program to the HDD(or DVD) I need to use a external player attached to one of the line inputs.
On the EH-75v if you're able to play a VHS tape at the same time you're recording something different to the line input to the DVD side then the loop through should work just fine. Just make sure you do haven't selected the VHS input to be the DVD side while the DVD side is selected to be the VHS side, you'll get a nasty audio and video feedback situation. It's kind of cool watching the video feedback though, all kinds of weird patterns on the screen
I reread my ES-30v manual but couldn't find any documentation to support the loop back method, but it's the way I've always copied CP'd tapes on my ES-30v, it just made most sense to me since I treat the machine as 2 separate machines in one common case.
post #115 of 261 Old 08-05-2009, 09:08 PM

QUOTE=microladyusa;16949184]Just to let you know I just downloaded a copy of your manual and printed out Pages 6,7, and 28 so I can see what you are looking at on your Panasonic. Print out what I last posted to you and also kjbawc's post and answer my question about just the TV and Panasonic and how you use them now (without the VHS copy subject).

I see by your manual that you would not find the Presidian picture by using your channel up/down like other recorders can do. For you , by connecting the Presidian as above to the Panasonic IN1 3 jacks, you would see the Presidian picture on the Panasonic by using your remote control and pressing Input Select button and choosing IN1 as the input selected.

But first is to get your Presidian connected to your Panasonic with the 3 jacks. yellow, red, white, and the VF for the yellow as I described in my last reply.

I would like to know if your Panasonic and TV connections are the same as they were before the Presidian came into the picture. Also do you record and play off the Panasonic VCR and the Panasonic DVDRecorder? Or do you only use the DVDR? Do you record off TV with either or both recorders? Just want to make sure you have the setup okay to do all you want to do.

See if the above printouts help you and then see what questions you have. Keep posting. It can be done.[/quote]

Hi, I currently have the TV and Panasonic Recorder hooked up together. I return to this hook up when I fail at adding the Presiden combo player.
I have programed the Panny recorder to do a scheduled taping during the day to DVD. It did work, although that's as far as I have ventured with it. I am learning to walk before I can crawl here. (sorry)

I do at times use the VHS part of the panny, but want to phase that out with the back ups to dvd. I mainly use the DVDR at this point for taping tv shows and playing dvd movies. I plan to only use the Presidian to make back up copies, in which I will draw myself a 'road map' to how everything is connected once I have a working 3some. I do plan to remove the Presidian when I am not making copies and follow the 'road map' to put it back to the way it is now. (space is too limited to leave all three units hooked up together all the time.)

Here is my current hook up between the TV and Panasonic:
Front of TV= y/w/r jacks going to the back of the Panasonic in the DVD/VHS Common Out y/w/r jacks
Back of TV= r/w jacks to back of Panasonic r/w DVD Priority Out.
Back of TV= S-Video to back of Panasonic S-Video Priority Out.
Back of TV= Coaxial Cable (RF) to back of Panasonic RF Out.
Cable from wall to Panasonic RF In

You are very kind to go the extra mile to print out the manual in efforts to get me through this. I am trying not to get discourged and return the VFilter
out of DEFEAT on my end.
With everyone's help and kindness here, which is going the extra mile, I am hanging in there to try and get this accomplished. When I do...... I'd like
to buy everyone some drinks!!
post #116 of 261 Old 08-05-2009, 09:18 PM

I have printed all the replies out and plan to take a stab at it again tomorrow morning being Thursday the 6th.
To everyone who has kindly replied, I do apologize for my prehistoric knowledge. I may be making this harder then it really is and will probably 'kick' myself over and over once the 3 units have been properly connected... but for right now, it's a whole new world to me and a tangle of unfamiliar wires. THANK YOU to everyone.
post #117 of 261 Old 08-06-2009, 09:57 AM

Just a quick note from looking at the manual..that may help you.
The Presidian will connect to the Panasonic using the connections shown in the Panasonic manual on Page 7, Rear Panel, using the #7 jacks, r/w/y input jacks.(Sorry...remember the yellow video goes from the Presidian into the VF IN and VF OUT yellow goes to the Panasonic #7 yellow jack. The Presidian audio r/w goes directly to the Panasonic r/w #7 jacks).

Once the Presidian is connected to this, I believe if you turn on the Presidian and the Panasonic and choose on the Panasonic as input.... IN1, you should be able to play a tape on the Presidian and see the picture on the Panasonic DVD and/or VCR mode..but you want DVD cause that's the recorder. If you do see the tape you should be able to record it.

The VF has 4 switches, numbered 1 to 4. With this connection, you want to set the switches so they are: 1,2,3,4 equals UP,UP,UP,DOWN (they may also come this way and that's okay).
post #118 of 261 Old 08-06-2009, 10:16 AM

By the way, I want to compliment you on your "road map" idea...that is what I do all the time. Also that when your changes didn't work..that you restored your setup to the way it was before. No one said to do that but that is exactly the right thing to do. So don't beat yourself down...you are learning something new and are willing to try and figure it out...that deserves a compliment.

By the way, I have a VCR hooked up to my current combo. I just played a tape on the VCR and saw the combo picture on my TV and it was widescreen on the TV and a perfect picture. I didn't realize a VHS tape could show as widescreen but it did on my 32" LCD TV so I expect a DVD copy of it to also be widescreen.

So do not give up hope. Yes, once you see how the connections go that work...it will make more sense. And, I know you will make a road map of this setup, in case you want to hook the Presidian up in the future for the same reason you are doing it now.
post #119 of 261 Old 08-12-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microladyusa View Post

Just a quick note from looking at the manual..that may help you.
The Presidian will connect to the Panasonic using the connections shown in the Panasonic manual on Page 7, Rear Panel, using the #7 jacks, r/w/y input jacks.(Sorry...remember the yellow video goes from the Presidian into the VF IN and VF OUT yellow goes to the Panasonic #7 yellow jack. The Presidian audio r/w goes directly to the Panasonic r/w #7 jacks).

Once the Presidian is connected to this, I believe if you turn on the Presidian and the Panasonic and choose on the Panasonic as input.... IN1, you should be able to play a tape on the Presidian and see the picture on the Panasonic DVD and/or VCR mode..but you want DVD cause that's the recorder. If you do see the tape you should be able to record it.

The VF has 4 switches, numbered 1 to 4. With this connection, you want to set the switches so they are: 1,2,3,4 equals UP,UP,UP,DOWN (they may also come this way and that's okay).

YEAH!!! I got the 3 items working! I am so excited! I did need to purchase 2 yellow, video jacks and another r/w jacks in order to make it work. I left everything else connected as it was and added the other 3 cords with the VF. I think that was my problem, I was thinking that I was changing around the cords that were already being used between the panasonic and tv. I was able to view the tape, the IN1 information and how to keep pressing the channel button until I got to IN1 was a big factor also! Thank You so Much!

I have two quick questions....
1st: If I wanted to copy a dvd from the combo player onto the panasonic, dvd recorder, I would need to switch some wires around right?, since I would be coping a dvd to dvd? Can you tell me which ones?
2nd: If I wanted to watch a tv show, can I watch it while the 3 components are working together and taping without it hurting the recording process?
Thank you all and special thanks to microladyusa for downloading the manual and going the extra mile for me!
Look forward to hearing about the two questions above.
post #120 of 261 Old 08-14-2009, 03:53 PM

DOUBLE YEAH!! Yes, you are right. You only need to leave everything connected as it was and just add the Presidian and the VF.

Remember, apparently you can press the channel button until you get to IN1. But you
Can also use on your Remote Control the Input Select Button – see Page 7, Remote Control Item#17. The Remote Select may be a faster way to get to IN1.

Question 1: If want to copy a DVD from the Presidian to the Panasonic DVD Recorder:
You can do this with the same wiring as now. You would use the DVD MODE on both units. You should be able to play a DVD on the Presidian and view it on the Panasonic. Again, if so, then you can copy it.

On your VHS tapes, you use VHS mode on Presidian and DVD Mode on Panasonic.
On DVDS you would use DVD Mode on both units.

(I don’t want to confuse what you just learned but there is added information on wanting to copy a DVD to a DVD…. Instead of using the yellow video, you could purchase S-Video cables and use the S-Video out on the Presidian to the VF S-Video In, VF S-Video Out to Panasonic S-Video In. Then you would flip a switch (switches 1 and 4) on the VF to let it know to send out the S-Video signal instead of the yellow one. This is supposed to give you a better video picture on the new DVD than using the yellow video. The yellow still MUST be used for VHS tapes.

If you are happy with the DVD picture using the yellow video cables then whether you are doing DVDs or VHS tapes….no wiring needs changing…only make sure to set the Mode right…VHS/DVD or DVD/DVD so you can see what is being recorded on your TV.)

Get comfortable copying your VHS tapes using the connections you just put together and you can also copy a DVD with these connections and look at the DVD picture compared to the original DVD and see whether it is worth switching cables back and forth.

(Don’t forget to make up your “road maps” on your new connections using the yellow video cables).

Question 2: I will look at your setup again. But there is no reason why you cannot watch TV at the same time you are recording something else..whether it is a different TV channel, or a External Unit VHS tape or DVD.

Right now, when you watch TV with your setup, do you ever record on the Panasonic VCR or DVD at the same time? Or, if you are recording, you don’t watch the TV? Whatever you are doing now, with the 3 unit connection you can still do the same thing.

Like I said before: DOUBLE YEAH!! I was really hoping you were not giving up cause I knew you could do it!
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page